• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People say this, and I do get that it's probably the best combo (due to lack of crossover games between the systems). But I currently just have a PC and a 3DS and I honestly can't even bring myself to buy the 3DS games that I'm interested in as they are just so dang expensive. The best games on Nintendo systems are pretty much always the Nintendo games and they seem to stay at like full retail price years and years after release. I keep thinking myself that a WiiU would be fun in the mix, but I just can't see myself ever shelling out for more than like 1-2 $50+ games a year at the absolute most.
I could say i'm the same boat you are. I'm selling my 3ds because of that, most games don't interest me(don't like strategy games, don't like competitive Pokemon), but when i played my brothers Wii U, i fell in love with it. Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, MK8... Excellent games.

Salsa

Speaking of, I think he's bowed out of the collecting game. I was listlessly browsing the 'net a couple of weeks ago and ended up at AStats, so out of curiosity I looked up his profile, which had been updated a few weeks earlier, and he was still in the 2,500 ballpark, which is where he was prior to the Top 500 list being taken down (back in May).

ilfykcT3XDAg7.gif

I spoke to xelios like a month ago. He's doing fine, just prioritizing his real life over his internet one like you all suckas should

Dr Dogg

Done :D Tnx i will leave team if you need spot for somebody you want :D

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. My Uplay friends list is only 4 strong with 2 of those peeps I know personally who loathe AC and another 2 folks from here.

I spoke to xelios like a month ago. He's doing fine, just prioritizing his real life over his internet one like you all suckas should

I did that once and then just realised how dull and boring my actual life is so it's back to moaning about vidya gaems on tinterwebs. You young whippersnappers will all get old sometime as well.

StAidan

Huh, Target is apparently having another buy one get one 25% off on gaming gift cards, including Steam gift cards, of course. Not sure if I'll pick up any this time though.

Dang, sure enough. I usually pick up cards during these promotions, but I'm trying to take a break from Steam purchases for a while. If I ever want to eliminate my backlog then I've got to stop this acquisition spree!

Shadownet

Banned
For those that are too lazy to go to Humble Bundle. Here you go. Have fun.

Edit: oops I forgot to do the free for all rule. My apology. That one always escaped me.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shadownet, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane -- MB-B9E92BFEEF352AC7
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #8 -- MB-80BDF33AE31E299B - Taken by PandaPedinte. 1 entrants total.
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #9 -- MB-18C1B9810C95532C
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #4 -- MB-8CB424BAC8E7C317 - Taken by Armoured Priest. 3 entrants total.
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #5 -- MB-6B29B2874BB5E91D
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #6 -- MB-0FB0806261F08F6E - Taken by maty. 1 entrants total.
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #7 -- MB-834D3EE64FDE1A3B
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #2 -- MB-9D75BE312FB25E02
Warlock: Master of the Arcane #3 -- MB-23A4077B9A52DBAC

t1410214776z1.png

It's days like this I'd like to snap my laptop in half, take the other half and shove it up John NVidias butt, take the other half and shove it up his brothers, Steve "Optimus" NVidias butt, walk into the store and buy a PS4 and XBone just to support AMD and to say fuck you PC goddamn gaming.

Today I had a nice little downtime for once which I planned to spend with Divinity: Original Sin. I played for couple of minutes until I decided to see if there was a fix for the game not noticing my graphics card (630M) properly and jumped through all the possible hoops:

1) Double checked that 630M was enabled for the game in the NVidia panel (it was)
2) Switched to windowed/fake fullscreen (didn't help)
3) fiddled around to see if the game just said that it was using the integrated piece of shit (it wasn't, it is)
4) Degraded my drivers to older versions (didn't help)
5) Disabled Secure Boot from UEFI. (didn't help)

so there I was, 1.5 later with old ass drivers and still no game to play with. I had the same problem with Sonic Generations and I should have just given it up and played something else. But nooooo, I decide to fuck around for half of the evening doing shit I knew wasn't going to work. Yeah, I know, my fault playing with a laptop but it was the best thing I could have afforded at the time. Now I bet that Dark Souls 2 doesn't run anymore either at all. Fucking hell.

/rant (I am building a PC in early December so I guess I'll play Divinity then)

(and it's not like the devs don't know about the issue: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=521217&page=1)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Portable Ops so much that I am never bothering with it when I do my yearly franchise play through. Even MGS4 still gets played on that. Calling to the night truly was it's only saving grace.
Now I'm tempted to see how bad it is. I hope my friend will lend me his PSP. He's got a Vita, so hopefully he won't need to use it anytime soon.

Jawmuncher

Now I'm tempted to see how bad it is. I hope my friend will lend me his PSP. He's got a Vita, so hopefully he won't need to use it anytime soon.

You can tell the game was made for MP first and the SP was just kinda thrown in.
Since it's just a campaign thrown together on MP maps with cutscenes.

Off the Record ran a lot worse than Dead Rising 2 did for me, which seems weird, given it's more or less the same game. I'm looking forward to going back to it though, on Steamworks, because the co-op in Dead Rising 2 was a blast.

Salsa

Off the Record ran a lot worse than Dead Rising 2 did for me, which seems weird, given it's more or less the same game. I'm looking forward to going back to it though, on Steamworks, because the co-op in Dead Rising 2 was a blast.

that's interesting. I can't really remember, but the reason I mentioned OTR is cause i've played it a lot less than DR2, which im kinda just burnt on

I dont even own DR2 on steam actually

Turfster

RE5 didn't do itself any favors by starting with a level design (using the term loosely) that was basically a long corridor with an incredibly shitty timed horde event at the end. That was the point I'd had enough.
No, I never played RE4.
Yes, I played 1-3 and like, half of Revelaitons, which I'm liking quite a lot so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
that's interesting. I can't really remember, but the reason I mentioned OTR is cause i've played it a lot less than DR2, which im kinda just burnt on

I was going to make a Wii joke, but I just checked and it seems it was the original game that was remade, not the sequel. I almost can't believe Capcom did that instead of porting the X360 original to the PC (which I hope happens one day as I hate having franchise gaps in my library).

Yeah, my co-op friend, and I were the same way. Enough time has probably passed that it would be fun to return though.

I just wish they'd toss the first one up on Steam.

I was going to make a Wii joke, but I just checked and it seems it was the original game that was remade, not the sequel. I almost can't believe Capcom did that instead of porting the X360 original to the PC (which I hope happens one day as I hate having franchise gaps in my library).

It's all about the iOS version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byndvdcx5h4

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

you can always fund the port, you know ;)

I thought Two Tribes went out of business.. Is Toki Tori 2 good? I liked the first one on Wii..
Nah they had lay off a lot of people unfortunately, but they still live.

But anyway, Toki Tori 2 is really good. Not just really good, but marvelous, no hyperbole. It's a lot different than the first one though. It's more of a full consistent game instead of just a set of levels. Some people who liked the original Toki Tori for its simplicity might not like the second one and vice versa, some like both (like I do though I think the first one pales in comparison to the second one).

The game was my GOTY of last year. Here's what I said on it. Might not be that well written but whatever:

TokiTori2-2-610x343.jpg

1. Toki Tori 2+ ; Basically a beautiful, very well crafted open world puzzle adventure game. When I started the game, I really wasn't expecting much, so who would've known it became my GOTY.

Toki Tori 2+ is a game that doesn't hold your hand and doesn't tell you what to do. It basically just gives you 2 abilities - whistle and stomp (that remain as your only abilities for the whole game) - and throws you into the game. You need to figure out the environmental clues by yourself in order to figure out the puzzles and to move to the next level. The goal is to ultimately save your chicken tribe from the mysterious black stuff suddenly endangering the world. Gameplay wise the game gives you direct goals, but you can choose to ignore them and just move on in the world as you wish solving the puzzles from level to level, or you can go for the the goals in whatever order you wish.

There are no tutorials in this game, or at least not "obvious" tutorials. The game keeps throwing you new mechanics all the time and it teaches every single one of them to you if you pay attention to the clues. At the start there's a clear path of the least resistance that the game gives you, and if you follow it (until a certain point at which this path stops) the game is how it's basically meant to be for most people. However, if you want to do the game a bit harder, you can theoretically go anywhere in the game right from the start. Even then, the game teaches you well and the game holds together very commendably, but you need to use your brain more.

The game is in many ways metroidvania style, except without real power-ups. Instead, the game throws you new mechanics all the time and teaches you to understand them. This way, you also gradually start to realize the many alternative paths in levels. While you can theoretically go anywhere right from the start, at first you probably don't even realize there are alternative paths everywhere, not to mention how to get to them. The more you play, the more you'll understand the paths.

While you have only 2 abilities, there is still tons of variation in the puzzles. The puzzles generally consist of manipulating the environment and the animals in it to do something that helps you move. As a very basic example, if there's a wall on which you can't climb and there's a frog nearby, find a bug for that frog to eat (if needed, stomp the bug so it goes to the direction you want, and if needed, tweet to get the frog's attention). Then stomp and that frog burps a bubble on which you can get up. There are many many ways to interact with different animals and the environment, and many ways to make them interact with each other. These new ways keep showing up until the end of the game, but still they keep very logical and refined until that end.

The game also has an absolutely fantastic sound track. The game also has tons of content. If you play it until the "normal" end, then you'll get about 15-25 hours of gameplay easily, and if you play it until 100%, you'll get about 27-32 hours of gameplay.

To be brief, the game is absolutely marvelous in how it handles its subtle clues and how it handles being a metroidvania without any real power-ups, instead making you understand how to move on. The love that was put into the making of the game from Two Tribes is also very clearly seen from the very beginning of the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
you can always fund the port, you know ;)

Haha, contrary to what my impulsive purchasing habits may suggest, my wallet isn't overflowing with cash. If I had the means to fund something I'd choose the re-release of Wheelman. ;)

Dr Dogg

When Dead Rising 2 came out I struggled to get it to run at 40fps unless sacrificing AA entirely and even then the framerate tanked on busy outdoor sections. At the time all I could do was by a second GPU and hope for the best which when I did get a second card almost double the framerate was possible. Just fired it up now on my current PC and I'm hitting the engines cap of 120fps with both my cards downclocking themselves to 614mhz and only using 20-30% of their power. Frame pacing is still as horrible as ever though.

derExperte

I'll cross my fingers and hope you don't get stuck in an update loop.

No loop, instead sweet Bulletstorm action and dick jokes. It's a shame the game will become unplayable (no offline profile possible) sooner or later.

Oh look, DR2 now works too, even has my old save.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. My Uplay friends list is only 4 strong with 2 of those peeps I know personally who loathe AC and another 2 folks from here.

I joined. But only got the first reward. Oh, I guess you have to accept me first. Makes sense.

Nah they had lay off a lot of people unfortunately, but they still live.

But anyway, Toki Tori 2 is really good. Not just really good, but marvelous, no hyperbole. It's a lot different than the first one though. It's more of a full consistent game instead of just a set of levels. Some people who liked the original Toki Tori for its simplicity might not like the second one and vice versa, some like both (like I do though I think the first one pales in comparison to the second one).

The game was my GOTY of last year. Here's what I said on it. Might not be that well written but whatever:

I can independantly confirm that the bolded is true.

TT2+ is incredible.

that's glowing praise for toki tori 2 but that game is a piece of shit.

well, it's a piece of shit because it took me like 4-5 months to sell a foil i got for it.

well, i guess the game isn't a piece of shit but that experience soured me on it!

Im a terrible human being.

Welp.
Was trying to game the system last night and buy Steam Wallet Cards for airline miles, only to figure out seconds before I hit checkout that gift cards and downloadable purchases are not eligible.

Trying to find a loophole, because I don't want to buy a credit card from my airline. But I waaaaahhhh my miles threw STEAAAAAMMM.

(btw, bought Unity on Origin)

Jawmuncher

RE5 didn't do itself any favors by starting with a level design (using the term loosely) that was basically a long corridor with an incredibly shitty timed horde event at the end. That was the point I'd had enough.
No, I never played RE4.
Yes, I played 1-3 and like, half of Revelaitons, which I'm liking quite a lot so far.

You're killing me here.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Eschalon Book I -- MB-7A83F6A759655D51 - Taken by Haunted
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-341A3C1C9D41BC43 - Taken by lukiluk
Eschalon Book II -- MB-2C0578B2D6C66728 - Taken by user237

Kacho

My biggest issue with RE5 was the forced co-op. It hurt the single-player experience because the AI was so awful at times.

It was still an enjoyable game however. Tons of replayablity with unlockables and mercenaries mode. It also had some kick ass tunes. My favorite was this.

Salsa

so apparently just moving the game's folder to the new drive and uninstalling and reinstalling should let steam rediscover the files and that's that

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Aces Wild Manic Brawling Action! -- MB-383AD6D74985A2CB - Taken by S1n1st3r
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-EDBB6B8A37CB34E6 - Taken by GaussTek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom