• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinBB7

Duke Nukem Forever isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I agree, it has a lot of problems but I enjoyed playing it. The puzzles and shitty graphics made it remind me of Half-Life in a way.. (as in for such a new game the graphics were bad, and the maps were really blocky. Like they were made with Hammer)

zkylon

zkylewd
I can see where are you coming from with dungeons not being all that great or sidequests not up to your standards, but your other complaints have more to do with what you want, not what's really bad in this game.
Firstly, combat isn't bad at or shallow, I don't know why you think so, as you don't explain.
it's bad because there's barely any challenge so there's very little need for strategy. yea later on i manually used impede attacks but other than that i barely even bothered with spells and just generally used the crafts that hit the most enemies as my general strategy. there are a lot of mechanics but you barely get to use most of them, stealing critical turns is nice and some other crap but overall it really demanded very little out of me and i felt like there wasn't much reason to mix things up. buffing was tedious, offensive spells were for the most underwhelming even with the 15% more damage thingie when compared to crafts, tactical formations were meaningless and in general it was a really ehhhh thing

usually whenever i had trouble with a fight it meant i just hadn't gone to the shop and upgraded my equipment. i was always underleveled since i don't like grinding but i didn't find anything worth strategizing much.

most trouble i had was that ninja guy near the end and only because he kept spamming heals

Secondly, I really can't agree with "bad pacing". I understand that you didn't like doing sidequests, they felt as a chore (bracer ones), but you don't need to do most of them, you know that, don't you? You could ignore them entirely and even if you don't, how pacing is bad if there is always something happening?
well when what's happening is filler shit then yeah it's bad pacing. chapter 2 is just a full stop in story progression for like the play thing and the orphanage fire and whatnot. there are like a million scenes of "estelle is awkward around joshua" and you go around randomly doing bureaucracy stuff like filling up immigration papers and some other crap. overall there's a lot of filler imo and the high level story hooks aren't there as early as i hoped they'd be. so you find out of the whole conspiracy thing in like late chapter 3 or something and by then you're just working to fix it.

and yea you can skip sidequests but it's an rpg, it's no excuse for them being crappy and by the time i feel like skipping them i'm already bored by em

As you say, characters are great, it's one of small amount of games where I await characters to comment or react instead of waiting for them to shut up.
I think the way you are given characters at some time when your paths cross and then they leave you is not a bad thing at all. I understand wanting everyone to dance around you awaiting your commands, but that's not go things work, wouldn't you agree?
i don't think the "characters are great" but there are a lot of fun ones and it's generally the best thing about the game, specially because the supporting cast is huge.

and no, it's not "wanting everyone to dance around me", it's wanting to create a party so characters get some actual development and screen time

i think zane and olivier are cool dudes but they don't do any kind of progression, they're just funny and that's about it. same for almost everyone else.

on the other hand, having ppl join your party makes sure you get different povs on every situation and your band of friends works problems together and grows together. the game also gets to explore more depth into combat and such since your characters develop new skills and you create new strategies, etc.

And most importantly you don't mention one thing that can get somewhat bad in this game: backtracking. The way sidequests and story events are handled makes you move back and forth a bit too much to my liking.
and how could you not mention cooking, fishing, orb making and other fun?!
i didn't specifically mentioned it but yea, sidequests are tedious in that not only they're not interesting in the first place but they force you to backtrack all over the place

the other things you mention i don't think are really fun. like cooking is just a selection menu, orb making had potential but interface just makes it clumsy to go back and forth between the memo thing trying to memorize which crystal combination you need to unlock spells and crap. fishing, i didn't even bother with fishing.

anyway, I agree with you that awaiting SC (second chapter) will be really hard.
i'm excited for it for sure

hope it's better than tits 1 tho

I remember her saying in an interview years ago that she used to Google herself out of curiosity until people started saying nasty things. GAF's appreciation thread is actually the first result for "Saoirse Ronan appreciation", so she wouldn't have to go digging very far, haha.
so are you saying

saoirse is aware

kiyomi

I started playing Omerta: City of Gangsters since I'd gotten it free on GOG a while back.

I was enjoying it, until I encountered the game breaking bug that doesn't let you get past the tutorial. Great.

Arthea

wall of text

You know what I gather? you should play lots and lost of Suikoden, it basically addresses all your complains about Trails, except challenge one.
So, for doing everything right and as you want it - play Suikoden, for good dialogue - Trails, and you have Dark Souls for challenge. Here, I laid out it for you, no need to thank me.
I must be getting really soft in my old age as I find Trails plenty challenging (._.)

Also Shin Megami Tensei games.

That might be a bit too much, especially seeing how he complains about dungeons, and dungeons in SMT games always were horrid like in really boring and too large most of the time.

Knurek

and you have Dark Souls for challenge. Here, I laid out it for you, no need to thank me.

That might be a bit too much, especially seeing how he complains about dungeons, and dungeons in SMT games always were horrid like in really boring and too large most of the time.

Hwaa? Labyrinth of Amala in SMT3 was amazing, pretty much the best thing out of the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's a distinct possibility!
why did ppl say nasty things to her anyways

i find it hard to think of anything bad to say about saoirse that isn't really just a cheap jab at you <3

You know what I gather? you should play lots and lost of Suikoden, it basically addresses all your complains about Trails, except challenge one.
So, for doing everything right and as you want it - play Suikoden, for good dialogue - Trails, and you have Dark Souls for challenge. Here, I laid out it for you, no need to thank me.
I must be getting really soft in my old age as I find Trails plenty challenging (._.)
man i already played em all, it's one of my favorite jrpg series

and like there are lots of games that do everything well, be it valkyrie profile or xenogears (not really deep combat but so cool looking that you don't really mind) or suikoden 2.

and of course...
this

imo the megaten games have the most enjoyable combat systems in turn based jrpgs, at least from my experience. lots of preparation but also execution and strategy, plus good leveling/character progression. lots of highs and lows and really good challenge. p3 and nocturne are amazing in every possible way.

also even tho it's not turn based i really liked the combat in ff12. the xenosaga series, specially xenosaga 1, also had really cool combat gameplay. and i really really loved the parasite eve combat. i need to replay that game someday. and i really should get around playing seriously playing vagrant story

so yeah tons of games with better everything than tits and also with themes and settings that are a lot more interesting to me personally, specially since i personally enjoy darker stories much better.

tits is not bad or anything, i'm just surprised it received so much acclaim.

Hwaa? Labyrinth of Amala in SMT3 was amazing, pretty much the best thing out of the game.
labyrinth of amala was fucking hell lol

Volimar

Another PC vs console thread, the year is 2014, and there are still "updating drivers" "but comfy couch" posts.

It is nice to just be able to download or place the CD into the tray and have the game work without fiddling with settings. Mostly I'm just disappointed because of DR 3 right now though.

zkylon

zkylewd
i really should play disgaea too

and fire emblem

srpgs are the shit

this based on my ridic love of front mission 1 and 4

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jasec, could you kindly remind me: does steam inventory have a limit, and if it does what is it?

It varies depending on the section.

TF2, Portal 2: 300 items (maybe higher, but that's what my limit is)
Dota 2: 720 items (as above)

CS:GO: 999 items
Steam (community items, gifts, etc.): Seemingly unlimited. Highest I've seen is a bit over 25k items.

Edit: Ah, wait, the TF2, P2 and D2 inventory figures refer to my in-game backpack size. CS:GO's is definitely 999 items though as it's what gave rise to the trading glitch jshack's mentioned the other week.

Xanathus

Ugh I need a program to automate the listing of all my Steam trading cards now that I've idled all of them with idlemaster.

Knurek

labyrinth of amala was fucking hell lol

Take into consideration the fact that it was released in English in what, 2012 (2014 for PC)?
There sure as hell weren't all that many proper jRPGs being released in English at that time.

Amala gave me serious Wizardy flashbacks. Total Party Wipes all day everyday.

and fire emblem
srpgs are the shit

Front Mission 3 (both routes) and fan translation of 5 first. Seriously.

Arthea

valkyrie profile, xenogears, suikoden 2, megaten

I knew you like Suikoden, (didn't know that much, though), I was kinda pulling your leg, also referencing that we all Suikoden people tend to want all games to be like Suikoden.

IDK man, Trails is great, I'm kinda amazed that you seem not to like it all that much. Oh, and characters are great, there is no denying that, you can try, but you won't be successful.

megaten dungeons are the hell, glad you noticed it. I always imagine that's how hell must feel like (><)

and fire emblem

srpgs are the shit

believe me when I say you better not, that's like unlimited time sinks, Civs way even.

It varies depending on the section.

TF2, Portal 2: 300 items (maybe higher, but that's what my limit is)
Dota 2: 720 items (as above)

CS:GO: 999 items
Steam (community items, gifts, etc.): Seemingly unlimited. Highest I've seen is a bit over 25k items.

Edit: Ah, wait, the TF2, P2 and D2 inventory figures revert to my in-game backpack size. CS:GO's is definitely 999 items though as it's what gave rise to the trading glitch jshack's mentioned the other week.

ya, I was most concerned about steam inventory (cards, gifts and alike). 25K at least? that's good to know.

xBladeM6x

I played it on Xone with no issues.

You may have the perception that it was having no issues, but it was a fact that it ran like shit on Xbone as well. Very rarely would it stay above 28 FPS, and constantly was in the teens. It only ran better than PC when it came to crashes as of right now. (Plus, they're already working on a patch for all that)

Jawmuncher

720p 20fps is a big enough issue for me.
¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯
I definitely didn't ever notice it dipping to the 20s.
Stuck pretty firmly to 30fps. Which is about the quality most people here have been getting.
Can't say 720p bothered me either. Though that hasn't been that big of a issue for me at all when it comes to anything I play on PC. It's the first thing I tone down if I can if I need performance.

I was just saying that the issues some have had with the port and their PCs.
I don't think them playing the Xone version over the PC version would ruin much for them.

You may have the perception that it was having no issues, but it was a fact that it ran like shit on Xbone as well. Very rarely would it stay above 28 FPS, and constantly was in the teens. It only ran better than PC when it came to crashes as of right now. (Plus, they're already working on a patch for all that)

Guess i'll just live with my ignorant bliss.
But as I stated i'm not implying that the Xone version is better than the PC version.
I was just talking about this moment in time right now. That if they needed their fix I don't think playing it on Xone would be a bad route if they didn't want to wait.
As I said for some their performance is about what the Xone version is anyway. Obviously once they sort it out everything will be fine with the patch.

BruteUA

Duke Nukem Forever says it's Steam Play, so that means I'd be safe buying this, right? And I'm well aware of the reputation of this game. I'm not necessarily looking for a good game, it looks like it's good for some dumb fun and mindless violence.

Thanks for this, I logged in this morning and saw it was on sale and that I had a bunch of DR3 rewards to pay for it with. I was going to ask this exact same question almost word for word.

Arthea

I update my drivers from my comfy couch. Is that blasphemous?

from now on you are excommunicated from steamgaf, any PC thread and life in general.

On more serious note, it's a fact that lots of PC games aren't made with comfy couch in mind. That's simple truth, I mean text is too tiny, icons too small, etc. It's simply true and you all know it, even if hide really well.

Any recommendations for games to play when you're sick?

Banner Saga is a good one for this. It has a slow-burn intensity, doesn't require twitch skills, and has that sweeping epic feel.

For some reason, being sick seems the best time to jump into an epic. Anything that fits the bill there would be good suggestions, I think: Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 2, the KOTORs, the one Japanese RPG that went on sale for really cheap last time whose name I can't remember but I definitely picked it up and didn't it have "odyssey" in the title?

Fez is a good one for the soundtrack alone. I tend to favor games I can pause to close my eyes for a while, while sick.

Locust

Duke Nukem Forever says it's Steam Play, so that means I'd be safe buying this, right? And I'm well aware of the reputation of this game. I'm not necessarily looking for a good game, it looks like it's good for some dumb fun and mindless violence. Does it at least do that well enough to justify a few bucks?

DNF was better than Bioshock Infinite.

Dr Dogg

Another PC vs console thread, the year is 2014, and there are still "updating drivers" "but comfy couch" posts.

And we still get people arguing over image quality when they are more than likely using uncalibrated screens and TV's with horrible pixel density and masses of input lag to boot let alone a lot of people being suckered into the TV marketing speak and still calling out resolution as 720p and 1080p like they're comparing it to an interlaced variant. Completely forget the horizontal aspect to the resolution and can't fathom why 1920x1080 is a damn sight harder to run than 1280x720 thinking it's only 50% more demanding instead of 125% more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom