• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

I call it 1080p out of convenience; I know pretty well I'm talking about 1920x1080.
Isn't "1080" more convenient than "1080p" by any definition? He's talking about dropping the p and the fact that a lot of people now seem to believe that p means "resolution", not "progressive".

3. it's a roguelike, but holds interest for those that usually don't like roguelikes because:​
That video shows an action game, not a turn-based one, so it's not a roguelike. Now I have to fight you to the death.

Game looks pretty good tho.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I also prefer personal essay describing an experience and the review to be a small blurb rather than a straight up review. Most reviews are so boring.

Tizoc

sO Viking battle for asgard is locked to 30 FPS, are there any method of improving any of its visuals or the like?

kiyomi

It wasn't meant to be a war :( But people turn it into that regardless.

I feel like you really tried your best to not have it become a PC vs. console war thing, but sadly, both sides of the argument are often blinkered and don't want to listen to reason or even accept other people's viewpoints.

Tizoc

Wayward Souls looks like it is coming to PC.

Why you should care:
1. it's probably the best iOS game I've played​
2. the sprites are done with the look and fluidity that calls to mind Chrono Trigger​
3. it's a roguelike, but holds interest for those that usually don't like roguelikes because:​
3a. the game is driven by skill
3b. the items don't carry over between deaths, except the wholly cosmetic hats
3c. money does carry over, but its sole use is to upgrade the character classes in very nominal ways (slight HP boost, tiny crit chance boost)​
4. this game is difficult without being cheesy, to the point where a maxed out character has the same impact as one that hasn't leveled yet, as long as one knows how to "git gud"​

Oblitus is still chugging along, too. Adult Swim looks like it's involved, and there a few PAX videos out there, but they show so little gameplay that I didn't think it was worth posting. I'm hyped for that one, too.

Combat interested me, might get it thanks for the heads up.

Jadax

If Burial at Sea hadn't come out, Infinite would have been in the 'worst games I have played' category.

Infinite was amazing! I'm not a big fan of BioShock (yes the story to 1 was good, but didn't enjoy the gameplay) - but Infinite changed all of that. I ended up playing BioShock 1 and 2 after that and enjoyed them both. That's how good Infinite was for me.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
You were doing so well with the "no scores" thing but now I hate you.
Awkward phrasing on my part (insomnia related), but you also have a point. I guess it depends. I don't know what I am saying now.
Is it the only game you have ever played?
Possible but not probable.
Infinite was amazing! I'm not a big fan of BioShock (yes the story to 1 was good, but didn't enjoy the gameplay) - but Infinite changed all of that. I ended up playing BioShock 1 and 2 after that and enjoyed them both. That's how good Infinite was for me.
I guess if it was your first exposure to BioShock then I could see this. I was just hugely disappointed by it.

Deques

That video shows an action game, not a turn-based one, so it's not a roguelike. Now I have to fight you to the death.

Do roguelike games have to have turn-based combat?

Okay, a week passed and the marked ban on my account isn't removed, despited the elapsed time stamp.

I sent a ticket to Valve, but it's strange, since during this time the only thing I did was redeeming the FF3 code from GMG, no purchases, nothing at all.

EDIT: Now the timestamp changed and is 16/09, what's happening?

Maybe because I used browser access too from my new PC?

You got trade ban or something?

fernandes

I liked Infinite more than Bioshock 1 and 2 combined. There, I said it!

BadRamen

All this DNF talk leads me to ask again: Who all played the single-player DLC, The Doctor Who Cloned Me? While it won't change your perception of the game (why would you play this on anything other than PC also?), it is a fun romp if you're into the Duke humor!

I've said it before but since we're talking about Infinite again: Those first handful of hours are possibly some of the best gaming i've ever experienced. The atmosphere, game design, the attention to detail, everything about it was just what i imagined the game would be.

Then, it became a steady stream of filler sections loaded with too much shooting. Instead of having an incredible 8-10 hours experience, it was a really uneven 15 hour journey that grew tiresome around hour 10.

Still, if/when i get an occulus rift and someone rigs Infinite to work with it (if they haven't already) i'm totally going to replay those first few hours because my god, it's amazing.

I was just trying to get word out about a platform that I really love and now I'm just getting pretty furious. Clearly people have their opinions set in stone and they can't be changed. Oh well.
Any act of promoting PC as a platform will be seen as PC elitist behaviours on GAF, some people are really insecure.

aku:jiki

Do roguelike games have to have turn-based combat?
Indeed they do, but I'm mostly just playing my thread role of always complaining whenever someone uses "roguelike" even slightly wrong.

Any act of promoting PC as a platform will be seen as PC elitist behaviours on GAF, some people are really insecure.
The thing is that every new PC convert feels so excited about it that they kind of have to evangelize the platform to every person they come across. I've seen it happen to countless friends and I almost let it happen to me before stopping myself. It's understandable, since making the switch is much more exciting than just buying the new consoles, but it does get pretty annoying to listen to and it makes people defensive.

The thing is that every new PC convert feels so excited about it that they kind of have to evangelize the platform to every person they come across. I've seen it happen to countless friends and I almost let it happen to me before stopping myself. It's understandable, since making the switch is much more exciting than just buying the new consoles, but it does get pretty annoying to listen to and it makes people defensive.
No one forces them to click on the threads, if they were simply annoyed, they could easily choose to ignore.

Deques

Indeed they do, but I'm mostly just playing my thread role of always complaining whenever someone uses "roguelike" even slightly wrong.

From Wiki-page
Roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by procedural level generation, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics and permanent death, and typically based on a high fantasy narrative setting.

So, Binding of Isaac is not a roguelike game? All I know is a lie!!

A lot of the "arguments" the console-gamers bring though are BS.

I can understand if they just say "because of exclusives". Totally valid reason. But they try to convince themselves, that PC gaming is expensive as fuck, you have to sit on a chair to play Games and things like that. It totally seems like they dont even know anything about PC-gaming, which is kinda sad on an enthusiast gaming forum...

I dont get it at all.

Ugh! I guess I left out a "-like" after "roguelike" or a "lite" or something. It's rogue-ish.

Call off your duel to the death. Or at least give me a chance to pencil it in. I've got a crazy week ahead of me and, frankly, I just don't know if I'll have the time.

Arthea

From Wiki-page

So, Binding of Isaac is not a roguelike game? All I know is a lie!!

genre definitions evolve all the time, so I wouldn't worry if I were you, although I do prefer procedural death labyrinth for a new wave of roguelite games, but I admit it's sorta long.

but I think you are very wrong about it. If you try to promote a console or iphone or even a game, you won't be treated any better most of the time. Advising if someone wants your advise is one thing, while advertising and trying to push your choice on people generally don't go well with most of people that I know.

Anteater

It was pretty great; once I got past a few interface niggles.
I finished it in one 9 hour marathon session, so...

Did you do the side missions? I find myself getting bored of the game because I'm also doing all the collecting stuff, and they're required to unlock those ghost stories, maybe I should just skip them and just do the main story.

Turfster

Did you do the side missions? I find myself getting bored of the game because I'm also doing all the collecting stuff, and they're required to unlock those ghost stories, maybe I should just skip them and just do the main story.

The ghost stories were great and well written, and yes, 100%ed the game.
Still, nobody's forcing you to hunt for them ;)

(Also, you can still go back for all the collectables until right before the end of the game if you change your mind. Maybe just play normally and then use a guide?)

Anteater

The ghost stories were great and well written, and yes, 100%ed the game.
Still, nobody's forcing you to hunt for them ;)

(Also, you can still go back for all the collectables until right before the end of the game if you change your mind. Maybe just play normally and then use a guide?)

Well I was interested in the stories but not the collecting :/

Edit: oh just saw your edit, that's good to know, yeah I think I might just skip them for now and do them later.

but I think you are very wrong about it. If you try to promote a console or iphone or even a game, you won't be treated any better most of the time.

Unless its Destiny. You can open 100 threads about every little detail about the game without fearing anything...

but I think you are very wrong about it. If you try to promote a console or iphone or even a game, you won't be treated any better most of the time. Advising if someone wants your advise is one thing, while advertising and trying to push your choice on people generally don't go well with most of people that I know.
I'm not wrong, pretty much every time when someone said anything similar to "PC gaming is great", there are bound to be replies containing PC master race complaints.

I still haven't figured out which company these promotional payments are coming from for my PC shilling.
Valve of course, don't you know Grief himself is a Steam shill?

Grief.exe

Wayward Souls looks like it is coming to PC.

Why you should care:
1. it's probably the best iOS game I've played​
2. the sprites are done with the look and fluidity that calls to mind Chrono Trigger​
3a. the game is driven by skill
3c. money does carry over, but its sole use is to upgrade the character classes in very nominal ways (slight HP boost, tiny crit chance boost)​
4. this game is difficult without being cheesy, to the point where a maxed out character has the same impact as one that hasn't leveled yet, as long as one knows how to "git gud"​

Oblitus is still chugging along, too. Adult Swim looks like it's involved, and there a few PAX videos out there, but they show so little gameplay that I didn't think it was worth posting. I'm hyped for that one, too.

I'm still trying to find a mobile game,I actually like.

I did enjoy Monument Valley and Year Walk, the latter I played on PC.

I will put this one on my Android Wishlist and wait for the Steam release. Looks right up my alley.

Arthea

I'm not wrong, pretty much every time when someone said anything similar to "PC gaming is great", there are bound to be replies containing PC master race complaints.

Valve of course, don't you know Grief himself is a Steam shill?

also every time when someone posts that this or that game is the best thing ever, there are bunch of people posting that it is mediocre, worst thing ever, not even worth mentioning, but they still find it worth to post it, so yea

The worst thing is the hypocracy you encounter often.

Before:
"1080p/60fps will be the standard for the Next-Gen! No doubt about it. Would be sad if it isnt the case."
After:
"Im fine with 1080p. 60fps arent that important!"

Or the arguments:
"Im not a graphics whore. I dont need a Titan. Im fine with the graphics on console."
"Lol. The Xbox One version is 900p. How last gen!"

also every time when someone posts that this or that game is the best thing ever, there are bunch of people posting that it is mediocre, worst thing ever, not even worth mentioning, but they still find it worth to post it, so yea
Some people being dicks on PC isn't relevant to the discussion, but it's always there.

Patison

All this DNF talk leads me to ask again: Who all played the single-player DLC, The Doctor Who Cloned Me? While it won't change your perception of the game (why would you play this on anything other than PC also?), it is a fun romp if you're into the Duke humor!
Agreed, if you liked DNF you should buy it ASAP!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The new main concern seems to be that PC gamers are terrible human beings which makes it impossible to enjoy playing there even if you never meet and only hear about them on GAF in those console vs PC threads. Weird.
In their defense, I am a PC gamer and I am a terrible human being, so that argument isn't completely false :p

DNF was good. Not amazing, not perfect but definitely good. It was very diversed and I found gunplay to be vary satisfying and that's two things that matter in FPS. I was big Duke3D fan back in a day and Forever wasn't disappointing for me because I knew what I was getting into, I knew that there won't be collecting keycards, finding secrets and all that stuff. What I was hoping for was Duke's specific humor and his style - and after so many years of waiting I finally got it and was very happy.
Yep, I enjoyed it for the same reasons. I did miss the level layout and fast-paced gameplay of Duke3D, but it was still enjoyable.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think that's what I dislike most about roguelikes, actually. If I'm having a great run, tackling some really tough challenges and earn an item, taking it away when I die makes death feel so damn punishing.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
In their defense, I am a PC gamer and I am a terrible human being, so that argument isn't completely false :p

I can confirm - RionaaM definitely is THE worst ... literally worse than Hitler ;)
too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom