• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

Wake up today, Destiny is out and hekk gifted me a copy of Metal Slug X on Steam.

And the local supermarket was selling Cadbury Chocolate Sultanas outside the normal holiday season.

I-gotta-say-it-was-a-good-day-ice-cube_zps0e4430b5.gif

derExperte

Another PC vs console thread, the year is 2014, and there are still "updating drivers" "but comfy couch" posts.

The new main concern seems to be that PC gamers are terrible human beings which makes it impossible to enjoy playing there even if you never meet and only hear about them on GAF in those console vs PC threads. Weird.

damn, BioInf hate is still rampant in this thread (><)

My GOTY in 2013 and I regret nothing.

damn, BioInf hate is still rampant in this thread (><)
I remember back when it launched, people were throwing "Game of the Generation" around in unsarcastic ways.
The new main concern seems to be that PC gamers are terrible human beings which makes it impossible to enjoy playing there even if you never meet and only hear about them on GAF in those console vs PC threads. Weird.
Suddenly they are all multiplayer only gamers.

Anteater

haven't you seen those annoying kids on youtube comments??

that's why i don't even play video games!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
meh, Bioshock Inf was a game that left me utterly indifferent.

not great, nor terrible

It has some stunning visual presentation though!

chronomac

Been a while, so enjoy a couple gifts. Do note that the Broken Age copy is for Ouya.

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age (Ouya) -- MB-6712AFBD98E076E6
Warlock Master of the Arcane -- MB-09750F19628DB304 - Taken by Sendou. 1 entrants total.
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-B877EB73D74DC188 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.

t1410275919z1.png

Knurek

yet it worked on the ps3, 360 and 3ds?
cacpcom pls

3DS has it's own version of MT (say, MT-Lite).
PS3/X360 CPUs can be, funnily enough, faster (in single thread applications) than PS4/X1. The new crop wins only by aggressive threading.

Sarcasm

So sleeping dogs main story was just okay.

But..nightmare point (or w/e its is called) is gold..since I know the references to Chinese horror lol.

Dr Dogg

In this day and age to proclaim a game bad there has to be something fundamentally broken, either mechanically or systemically. Sure some games might not live up to a set of standards someone would expect but if others can gain some enjoyment from it then I would find it hard to label something as bad, awful, The Worst Game Ever! etc. You just didn't enjoy it but oh well never mind you can't please everyone.

I've played some truly busted games that are nigh on impossible for anyone to enjoy unless they are a masochist. That for me is the bad category which with the massive emphasis on focus testing and QA these days are few and far between.

Patison

DNF was good. Not amazing, not perfect but definitely good. It was very diversed and I found gunplay to be vary satisfying and that's two things that matter in FPS. I was big Duke3D fan back in a day and Forever wasn't disappointing for me because I knew what I was getting into, I knew that there won't be collecting keycards, finding secrets and all that stuff. What I was hoping for was Duke's specific humor and his style - and after so many years of waiting I finally got it and was very happy.

Ozium

meh, Bioshock Inf was a game that left me utterly indifferent.

not great, nor terrible

It has some stunning visual presentation though!

what annoyed me about infinite was the 2 gun limit.. wat? why am I spending money to upgrade weapons which I can't keep? Why do you introduce a vox populi version of each weapon?

also vigors.. they are selling them at the carnival? but really they dont sell them because none of the citizens use them.. why do they exist? the people of columbia are early 20th century american fundamentalists, so they clearly are not the types to alter their bodies with vigors.. they are just for the players.. but those ppl in columbia are like rabid dogs, they are so mad at you... wat?

the story is dumb and contradicts itself so many times...

also "you shoot a ghost a bunch of times with bullets until it goes away? this game is dumb." -Kyle Bosman

edit: also the vigors were dumb and OP.. and you can just level up 2 and be fine the whole game, the original lent itself to experimenting with different plasmids more... also the way the levels were designed made it dumb to use environmental hazards.. 80% of the time it wasn't until after a firefight that I noticed a little puddle of oil/gas I could have ignited... gg levine

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I really liked Bioshock Infinite *shrugs*

95% of the time I don't care at all about storys in games but I thought the BioInf one and the setting was quite interesting. Gameplay was fun too imo, except for one or two things at the end of the game.

In this day and age to proclaim a game bad there has to be something fundamentally broken, either mechanically or systemically. Sure some games might not live up to a set of standards someone would expect but if others can gain some enjoyment from it then I would find it hard to label something as bad, awful, The Worst Game Ever! etc. You just didn't enjoy it but oh well never mind you can't please everyone.

I've played some truly busted games that are nigh on impossible for anyone to enjoy unless they are a masochist. That for me is the bad category which with the massive emphasis on focus testing and QA these days are few and far between.

Well put. And yet you are not a professional gaming journalist. But this dude is: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dead-rising-3-apocalypse-edition-review/1900-6415861/

DNF was good. Not amazing, not perfect but definitely good. It was very diversed and I found gunplay to be vary satisfying and that's two things that matter in FPS. I was big Duke3D fan back in a day and Forever wasn't disappointing for me because I knew what I was getting into, I knew that there won't be collecting keycards, finding secrets and all that stuff. What I was hoping for was Duke's specific humor and his style - and after so many years of waiting I finally got it and was very happy.

I agree, although I played DNF first and then D3D. Although after playing D3D last year I can safely say it's one of my favorite FPSes ever and it's not something I can say about DNF!

Arthea

well put Doggie, couldn't said better myself. I mean if someone enjoys a game, why rain on their parade? unless the game in question killed your puppies or something, and even then, may be it haven't killed theirs!

I've seen plenty bad games in my day, but even these have their fans. I hardly can remember a game that hasn't. Have you?

Then again there are games that just get to you in really bad way, for example I can badmouth Gone Home all day long and feel like I haven't had enough of it. (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, bloody hell, the PasteBin page I made to keep track of my Fable: TLC collectable hunting wasn't saved to my account, so it's been deleted. That means I have to make a list of everything and go through it one by one to ensure I don't miss anything... which isn't my idea of a good time.

Arthea

Ah, bloody hell, the PasteBin page I made to keep track of my Fable: TLC collectable hunting wasn't saved to my account, so it's been deleted. That means I have to make a list of everything and go through it one by one to ensure I don't miss anything... which isn't my idea of a good time.

don't lie to yourself, you enjoy that stuff, or you wouldn't do it. You even have some spreadsheet for all licensed games, then for all greenlight games that have been in a bundle, then for all games that were and weren't on sale and when. Am I forgetting anything? oh yes, all Ronan appearances and endeavours, not to mention gifs.
and it's sorta admirable, you know ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
don't lie to yourself, you enjoy that stuff, or you wouldn't do it. You even have some spreadsheet for all licensed games, then for all greenlight games that have been in a bundle, then for all games that were and weren't on sale and when. Am I forgetting anything? oh yes, all Ronan appearances and endeavours, not to mention gifs.
and it's sorta admirable, you know ;)

Haha, I haven't updated my licensed game list in months. If I'd kept on top of it I may have noticed Rugby Challenge 2 was pulled sooner.

aku:jiki

Well put. And yet you are not a professional gaming journalist. But this dude is: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dead-rising-3-apocalypse-edition-review/1900-6415861/
For the past decade, most editors have chosen to value writing style and political opinions (i.e. must be feminist) in employees, over actual knowledge and analytical ability. It's pretty much why I dropped that job and switched over to IT. Hell, it's why I even stopped reading games media completely, let alone write it myself.

Doesn't help that every time I check back in, it's still the same load of bullshit and my eyes roll so hard that I get seizures.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It is nice to just be able to download or place the CD into the tray and have the game work without fiddling with settings. Mostly I'm just disappointed because of DR 3 right now though.
Funnily enough, in the time it took for Heavy Rain to install I managed to fold the origami that comes with the game (with some help from my family) and read the manual. I didn't have to do anything, that's true, but it's not as straightforward as before anymore.

And we still get people arguing over image quality when they are more than likely using uncalibrated screens and TV's with horrible pixel density and masses of input lag to boot let alone a lot of people being suckered into the TV marketing speak and still calling out resolution as 720p and 1080p like they're comparing it to an interlaced variant. Completely forget the horizontal aspect to the resolution and can't fathom why 1920x1080 is a damn sight harder to run than 1280x720 thinking it's only 50% more demanding instead of 125% more.
I call it 1080p out of convenience; I know pretty well I'm talking about 1920x1080.

For the past decade, most editors have chosen to value writing style and political opinions (i.e. must be feminist) in employees, over actual knowledge and analytical ability. It's pretty much why I dropped that job and switched over to IT. Hell, it's why I even stopped reading games media completely, let alone write it myself.

Doesn't help that every time I check back in, it's still the same load of bullshit and my eyes roll so hard that I get seizures.

I see. I really can't blame you. I actually never read professional reviews unless it's "controversial" and everybody is talking about a particular one.

Still, sometimes it's hard to criticize some of their points because it's going to inevitably be taken the wrong way by some people (even if you think there's no way what you're going to say could be misinterpreted). So I'll shut up :)

Wayward Souls looks like it is coming to PC.

Why you should care:
1. it's probably the best iOS game I've played​
2. the sprites are done with the look and fluidity that calls to mind Chrono Trigger​
3. it's a roguelike, but holds interest for those that usually don't like roguelikes because:​
3a. the game is driven by skill
3b. the items don't carry over between deaths, except the wholly cosmetic hats
3c. money does carry over, but its sole use is to upgrade the character classes in very nominal ways (slight HP boost, tiny crit chance boost)​
4. this game is difficult without being cheesy, to the point where a maxed out character has the same impact as one that hasn't leveled yet, as long as one knows how to "git gud"​

Oblitus is still chugging along, too. Adult Swim looks like it's involved, and there a few PAX videos out there, but they show so little gameplay that I didn't think it was worth posting. I'm hyped for that one, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom