• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

I guess if it was your first exposure to BioShock then I could see this. I was just hugely disappointed by it.

I played Bioshock 1 shortly after it was released and ended up cheating to finish it because I hated the game so much but wanted to get through the story/see the world. Bioshock Infinite I played through in a few days after it was released and started a new game to play through it more.

I think the atmosphere and level design of Bioshock 1 is almost certainly better, but I enjoyed the atmosphere of Infinite almost as much (it's a completely different setting, though) and actually liked playing the game, so that makes it better in my book. Also liked the characters and the psuedo science crazyness.

Anteater

Developers get a cut on card sales right?

I don't understand why some games don't have cards and wallpapers

especially waifu cards and wallpapers

Jawmuncher

I just take it that they don't have the resources for the artwork....but seeing what gold rush just got away with it is pretty confusing.

genre definitions evolve all the time, so I wouldn't worry if I were you, although I do prefer procedural death labyrinth for a new wave of roguelite games, but I admit it's sorta long.

That's true. Heck, we're at the point where we're wrestling with the definition of "game."

Turfster

I'm starting to think devs might want to, but if they're linked to a publisher, it could possibly have to go through them... and not all publishers might care.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of chronomac, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Broken Age (Ouya) -- MB-6712AFBD98E076E6
Warlock Master of the Arcane -- MB-09750F19628DB304 - Taken by Sendou. 1 entrants total.
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-B877EB73D74DC188 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 3 entrants total.

t1410275919z1.png

derExperte

Was there ever a case where savegames remained useable after the GFWL -> Steam move? I played a few hours of DR2 and it's been pretty great but I'm at a point where I'm asking myself if I should stop and wait for the conversion (which should revive the game's coop).

Asgaro

KIES.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent -- MB-CD368DE68A9811F3 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 8 entrants total.
World of Goo -- MB-08AADE29FAE5C650 - Taken by ndawgdrake. 2 entrants total.
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-3B577C8407948C0A - Taken by darkchewie. 3 entrants total.
AudioSurf -- MB-EAA074E533672DCF - Taken by someguyinahat. 4 entrants total.

t1410283119z1.png

Was there ever a case where savegames remained useable after the GFWL -> Steam move? I played a few hours of DR2 and it's been pretty great but I'm at a point where I'm asking myself if I should stop and wait for the conversion (which should revive the game's coop).

I don't think so. My Batman saves were gone and DoW2 as well. Can't remember other games that have already had it removed.

Not steam related but Simon the sorcered games sale on GOG is over, wanted to buy them and I forgot, now the offers have changed, recap is my only hope :(

Steam related, got AlternativA and Memento Mori, gotta grab my point and clicks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't "1080" more convenient than "1080p" by any definition? He's talking about dropping the p and the fact that a lot of people now seem to believe that p means "resolution", not "progressive".
Yes it is, but seeing "1080" doesn't stand out as resolution as much as "1080p" does. Everyone knows what it means, there's no point in being picky about it.

All this DNF talk leads me to ask again: Who all played the single-player DLC, The Doctor Who Cloned Me? While it won't change your perception of the game (why would you play this on anything other than PC also?), it is a fun romp if you're into the Duke humor!
I should play it someday, yeah. Totally forgot about it.

Copons

Welp, after 75 hours I've finally finished Divinity: Original Sin and it crashed at the beginning of the ending credits.
Someone knows if there's something interesting during or after the credits or I'm good to go?

(Also I may write something about it in the next few hours, but meanwhile I've just have to thank Milena again for having gifted me what I'm pretty sure will be my GOTY!)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GFWL saves for the Arkham games can be hex-edited to be Steam-compatible. I don't know if that also applies to Bio2, DoW2 and SSFIV:AE.

Prison Architect is 10$/8.66€ on the Humble store

I notice Xenonauts (Steam & DRM-free) is also discounted to £10.49 until 22nd September - very tempting. I wonder if it'll drop lower in a flash deal before the end.

Alas no reduction for Crypt of the NecroDancer :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can confirm - RionaaM definitely is THE worst ... literally worse than Hitler ;) too soon?
He died almost 70 years ago, so I'd say it's OK if we joke about him now.

I played Bioshock 1 shortly after it was released and ended up cheating to finish it because I hated the game so much but wanted to get through the story/see the world. Bioshock Infinite I played through in a few days after it was released and started a new game to play through it more.

I think the atmosphere and level design of Bioshock 1 is almost certainly better, but I enjoyed the atmosphere of Infinite almost as much (it's a completely different setting, though) and actually liked playing the game, so that makes it better in my book. Also liked the characters and the psuedo science crazyness.
My man. The atmosphere and plot of BS1 is amazing, but I find the gameplay to be unbearable (it doesn't help that I started it on Hard), and thus I haven't finished it yet. I wish there was some way to remove all combat, and let me traverse an empty world to experience the story without suffering through all that terrible gunplay.

Volimar

Is the general consensus that Origins isn't as good as the other Arkham games? It's the only one I haven't played.

*sigh*

I really wish DR3 was working....

Everyone's playing Destiny...

I kind of really want a new shooter to play...

*pout*

I want to say Ace Combat: Assault Horizon saves carried over. Could be misremembering though.

Tizoc

I'm still trying to find a mobile game,I actually like.

I did enjoy Monument Valley and Year Walk, the latter I played on PC.

I will put this one on my Android Wishlist and wait for the Steam release. Looks right up my alley.

The Room is a neat puzzle game.

Porcupine

Is the general consensus that Origins isn't as good as the other Arkham games? It's the only one I haven't played.

I think it's a little bit like the Dark Souls 1 - Dark Souls 2 discussion.
If you look at each game on their one, they are fantastic games. When you look at them both in comparison you will be a little bit disappointed because it's just "more of the same"

You have to figure out for yourself if that is enough for you or not. People tend to underrate games if they are not vastly superior to their predecessors.

*sigh*

I really wish DR3 was working....

Everyone's playing Destiny...

I kind of really want a new shooter to play...

*pout*

depending on who you ask, it's either the worst Arkham game or the best.

regardless, no one has said that it's a bad game. I'd guess that, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I would say that's not the general consensus at all. I've heard several people who say it's worse than asylum and city, and several who say it's better than them.

I'm still trying to find a mobile game,I actually like.

I did enjoy Monument Valley and Year Walk, the latter I played on PC.

I will put this one on my Android Wishlist and wait for the Steam release. Looks right up my alley.

I'm usually not big on the "digital joypad" at all, but this one is executed pretty well, being responsive and intuitive. Still, growing up on the NES, I can't help but think this would be much better with some actual input controls.

Check out Battleheart. I loved it, but I've held out on the sequel, Battleheart Legacy. It's getting big-upped over in the iOS thread.

I think that's what I dislike most about roguelikes, actually. If I'm having a great run, tackling some really tough challenges and earn an item, taking it away when I die makes death feel so damn punishing.

The items in this one are consumables, like ones that give a small bubble around you that slows enemies and incoming projectiles, bombs, buffs, and rarely (but a godsend when it happens) a health potion. The exception to the consumables are the cosmetic hats. So, not having those items on the next playthrough feels organic, instead of a punishment, here.

Another thing that I meant to mention is the pricing, which may or may not affect this when it comes to Steam. The devs deliberately bucked the trend of game prices rapidly dropping for sales on the App Store. Instead, they listed it at an introductory price. Then, with each update (which are always very substantial) they increase the price by $1.00. They were upfront with their intentions of doing this.

Dr Dogg

Well put. And yet you are not a professional gaming journalist. But this dude is: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dead-rising-3-apocalypse-edition-review/1900-6415861/

well put Doggie, couldn't said better myself. I mean if someone enjoys a game, why rain on their parade? unless the game in question killed your puppies or something, and even then, may be it haven't killed theirs!

I've seen plenty bad games in my day, but even these have their fans. I hardly can remember a game that hasn't. Have you?

Then again there are games that just get to you in really bad way, for example I can badmouth Gone Home all day long and feel like I haven't had enough of it. (><)

Well the depressing trend I've seen in recent years is that a fair few people aren't using reviews and recommendation to advise and inform them on games they might be interested in but are acting as purchase validation. Some folks have probably preordered the game for months in advance of any reviews and just waiting for them to be scored an arbitrary value they themselves have deemed is worthy of and when they don't boy does the shit hit the fan.

I call it 1080p out of convenience; I know pretty well I'm talking about 1920x1080.

Hahaha. Oh I know you know about resolutions RionaaM. I think I've seen your monitor for starters! It's just how it's being used in shorthand during technical discussion and it kind of obfuscates what is actually the case. I mean christ the vast majority of 720p TV's weren't even using 1280x720 panels anyway but had 1366x768 panels with lots of funky scaling and overscan goings on.

Super Street Fighter IV AE asks when you start up do you want to transfer your save file over. Fingers crossed Capcom does the same here with DR 2, OTR and RE5 as each has lots of unlockables tied to saves which would be nice to transfer over.

derExperte

Origins is superior.

If you like glitches and bugs. What a buggy mess that game is and I'm only five hours in. Plus the traversal through the city is sleep inducing, no way I'll end up liking this better than Asylum or City.

Today I learned.

Super Street Fighter IV AE asks when you start up do you want to transfer your save file over. Fingers crossed Capcom does the same here with DR 2, OTR and RE5 as each has lots of unlockables tied to saves which would be nice to transfer over.

Hm, so there's a chance.

milena87

Welp, after 75 hours I've finally finished Divinity: Original Sin and it crashed at the beginning of the ending credits.
Someone knows if there's something interesting during or after the credits or I'm good to go?

(Also I may write something about it in the next few hours, but meanwhile I've just have to thank Milena again for having gifted me what I'm pretty sure will be my GOTY!)

You're welcome and I'm glad you liked it :)

Anyway, I don't think there's a secret scene in the ending credits; I watched them for a while, waiting for my name to appear. I should remember, for the next Kickstarter games, to choose something like 00Milena as my name :p

Indignate

Shadowrun is so good; the writing in it is top notch. Playing Divinity made me want to go back to it. Apparently I had stopped just before the final level because I don't like to ever finish games.

Grief.exe

I'm usually not big on the "digital joypad" at all, but this one is executed pretty well, being responsive and intuitive. Still, growing up on the NES, I can't help but think this would be much better with some actual input controls.

Check out Battleheart. I loved it, but I've held out on the sequel, Battleheart Legacy. It's getting big-upped over in the iOS thread.

Is this it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KelliNoda.Battleheart

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shadowrun is so good; the writing in it is top notch. Playing Divinity made me want to go back to it. Apparently I had stopped just before the final level because I don't like to ever finish games.

I'm playing through my friend's copy at the moment as well and I'm really liking the story and combat. I'm really looking forward to Dragonfall's Director Cut too now. The only thing I don't really care for is the decking. The areas are boring and I don't like being stuck with one person instead of my whole crew in the real world.

depending on who you ask, it's either the worst Arkham game or the best.

regardless, no one has said that it's a bad game. I'd guess that, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

From as reasonably objective a standpoint I can assess these games from, Origins is between City and Asylum. Shares many similarities with City, but imbalance/comparable lack of polish puts it closer to Asylum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom