• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagamer

You mean this D Generation? :3

I think that D-Generation has been remade enough times already ;)

Does anyone know has the price of the new Age of Wonders 3 DLC (Golden Realms) been revealed yet? It releases in a week but Steam doesn't seem to have price information yet.

tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard
Cards Alert
tradingcard
tradingcard
tradingcard

Stronghold Crusader HD got cards.

Nabs

Hack 'n' Slash is now out of Early Access. That was fast.

It's 33% off for a week. Anyone have updated impressions?

Steam Workshop Support
I’m also really happy that we’re shipping the game with mod support and Steam Workshop integration, particularly because we’re shipping the game with the source code. The Hack ‘n’ Slash engine is flexible in a lot of interesting ways because of the hacking mechanic, and we’re really excited to see the clever things people can produce with it.

More here.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I created instructions on how to set it the DS4, and briefly touched on the cool features you can play with. I'm just tired of typing up responses to people who either use old software, or don't realize how easy it is to set up. I may create a second post that goes deeper into the custom profile feature.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129161018&postcount=719

ot, but do you have a Wii U pro controller? How would you rate them comparatively if so? thinking about buying a ds4 just to check it out, but I'm pretty happy with using Wii U pro on my PC so far. Infinitely better than the DS3 and 360 controllers that I have imo

Tecl0n

I created instructions on how to set it the DS4, and briefly touched on the cool features you can play with. I'm just tired of typing up responses to people who either use old software, or don't realize how easy it is to set up. I may create a second post that goes deeper into the custom profile feature.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129161018&postcount=719

I was using jhebbel's but it keeps disconecting now, so i'll try this branch. Thanks.

Copons

You're welcome and I'm glad you liked it :)

Anyway, I don't think there's a secret scene in the ending credits; I watched them for a while, waiting for my name to appear. I should remember, for the next Kickstarter games, to choose something like 00Milena as my name :p

Oh indeed!
but isn't there a button directly in the main menu showing all the backers? or I'm thinking of another game?

Anyway, these are my opinions about Divinity: Original Sin.

Before, I should mention that 1) this was my first Larian game (I've tried the first Divine Divinity for a little bit, but its text is too tiny and I'm OLD AS SHIT t_t ); 2) I've never been a great fan of CRPGs (like, not even Torment; yes, I suck).
So you could consider my write-up to be skewed either because I'm not expert enough of this genre, or conversely because my positive opinions would matter even more because of it.

Now.

D:OS is great, and I really mean it. It easily is the best CRPG I've ever played or started playing. No, scratch that: it easily is one of the best RPG I've ever played, or even more, one of the best games I've ever played.
It's always overflowing with passion and sheer love for this genre. I've never seen anything D&D based that is so respectful and kindly mockful at the same time for that ruleset.
Larian gives to the player a HUGE amount of possibilities to approach basically everything, and it somehow manages to feel like you're playing with one of those great dungeon master actually able to confidently shape the game world as you play.

Aesthetically, the world is lush. Every single detail, even the tiniest, is clearly placed with extreme care. There is no blade of grass that feels out of place.
I don't know if the game engine is technically cutting edge, but it's able to create beautiful and believable locations.

The battle system is with no doubt my favorite RPG battle system ever.
It allows for so much and with such ease and elegance that it is almost unbelievable.
It is during battles that you just understand how many things you are able to do, and how many ways you have to radically change the course and the outcome of the battles.
I found myself reloading countless times just to try different approaches and experiment with buffs, debuffs, summons, combining elements in new, never considered before, ways. And every time it has been an absolute bliss, even when my ass was kicked multiple times because I
suck at strategy
was underleveled and this game is actually pretty hard.

Sadly, though, this game isn't always perfect. And it fails exactly where it should instead be flawless, in order to lure to itself tons of new players.
The dreaded user experience.
Whenever you open the inventory, D:OS becomes so astonishingly unorganized that I'm kinda baffled it passed a QA evaluation.

Everything involving items (looting, buying, selling, trading, crafting, inspecting, repairing, cooking, etc.) is a damn chore.
Mostly, the problem is that you have up to 4 characters in your party and each one of them has a separate inventory. Which is cool and realistic, but you end spending literally hours sending loads of items back and forth everybody whenever you want to compare a new weapon with the one currently equipped.
The fact that ALL items (loots, vendors, chests, etc.) are randomly generated and persistent, and that enemies aren't infinite, kinda forces you to keep every somewhat useful items for fear of losing them forever. And of course, the more items you own, the more back and forth you're going to send them between characters.
Crafting too is painful. While I appreciated the recipe system (books with "narrated" recipes, like real life recipe books, and not lists of ingredients like any other game), at some point it leads you to just try combining everything. Which someone could find fun, but eh, I don't know...

Quest logging sucks too. More often than not, quests resolve with very "soft" outcomes, with no bells and whistles and whatnot.
And it is great.
But then you go in the journal and you really don't know what did you solve.
It would have been so easy to just open a notification popup with something like "gratz, quest XYZ has ended, yo", but instead nope, you have to dig in the journal hoping to see a quest title that catches your attention. And even worse is when ending a quest closes an entire quest tree. What did you end then? Who knows?
Bear in mind, though, that this is not just a usability issue, but it also misses a gratification moment for the player.

Now, I could list other dozens of UX issues, but really every time I noticed them in game, I had the great urge of sending my résumé to Larian.
also because Gent is an astoundingly beautiful city, and I'd love to live there, but then again why would they even consider me for a job for which they don't have any openings? :D

I found the plot to be so and so.
Amazingly, considering the genre, I don't think that the sub par parts of the plot invalidate the greatness of this game.
Anyway, the first part (Cyseal) is by far the better one. And by "better" I mean, one of the most interesting and cohesive storyline I've seen in a game with this huge scope (most likely because in Cyseal the scope is still pretty limited).
After that, everything thickens so much and you start having so many different objectives that it becomes a bit hard to keep track of everything.
It also could be just me that went on vacation for two weeks breaking apart the flow, but nah: I blame the game. :D

Now, I'm sure I'm missing tons of other features (like, the co-op, which I did not try), but I just wanted to share my utter love for this game, and my utter hate for its UX. :D
All in all, Divinity: Original Sin is by far my most probable candidate for GOTY and, if there were timespans between year and decade, I'd probably say it's my GOT-made-up-timespan candidate.
So, eh, it should mean something, shouldn't it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Asgaro, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent -- MB-CD368DE68A9811F3 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 8 entrants total.
World of Goo -- MB-08AADE29FAE5C650 - Taken by ndawgdrake. 2 entrants total.
PixelJunk Eden -- MB-3B577C8407948C0A - Taken by darkchewie. 3 entrants total.
qzNSxgo.jpg
AudioSurf -- MB-EAA074E533672DCF - Taken by someguyinahat. 4 entrants total.

t1410283119z1.png

Evrain

Well, we know that every time someone crafts a badge, a booster "spawns" in someone inventory.
What we don't know is WHICH GAME's booster spawns. I mean, if I craft a Wheelman badge, the new booster will be a Wheelman's or, like an OutRun's?

Also, I don't know if this would change anything. :D
If memory serves me right, when a player is assigned a booster pack the game is randomly chosen among the recipient's pool of card enabled titles

Nabs

ot, but do you have a Wii U pro controller? How would you rate them comparatively if so? thinking about buying a ds4 just to check it out, but I'm pretty happy with using Wii U pro on my PC so far. Infinitely better than DS3 imo

I haven't had the chance to use one yet, but you should stick with it if it works for you. I plan on staying on this DS4 train for a while. The software is just a game changer. Having simple things like Push-to-Talk on my right Touchpad is something I can't give up.

Pachimari

I think I might have missed it before because of all the pages, but do I need an old generation Wii Motion controller in order to use it with my PC?

I haven't had the chance to use one yet, but you should stick with it if it works for you. I plan on staying on this DS4 train for a while. The software is just a game changer. Having simple things like Push-to-Talk on my right Touchpad is something I can't give up.

That's awesome. I'm gonna have to dig into the DS4 software to look at some of this stuff.

Anteater

State of Decay's graphics are kind of growing on me, despite the crazy weird contrast and dark day time shadows the game has going.

OH SHIT GRAY MATTER BOOSTER PACK

1520yes20soccer20fangus5b.gif

iosefe

i feel the top touchpad would work better. you can still aim around using your thumb and just use your index easily. that is unless you use the claw to get your index onto touchpad right

Dr Dogg

Achievements are hard. Like, even harder than making an OST-only sub, getting keys from Valve, and asking Humble to distribute them to the relevant backers.

That's a sodium rich post :p

Oh I had a look in town earlier and didn't see anything Rugby Challenge 2 related and even asked one if the independant retailers here if they ever had stock of it. It only showed up in their catalogue from their wholesaler for PS3 and 360 so I get the feeling this is a somewhat elusive release. If I ever see a copy I'll grab you one but I think there's more chance of you getting a copy of The Wheelman to be honest.

Nabs

i feel the top touchpad would work better. you can still aim around using your thumb and just use your index easily. that is unless you use the claw to get your index onto touchpad right

I just use my right thumb. It's like having a 5th face button. Top seems a bit awkward to me.

That's awesome. I'm gonna have to dig into the DS4 software to look at some of this stuff.

It's really good. I had some issues with keyboard presses + Mumble Voip, so I just use my Mouse4 or 5 to do PTT. It's been perfect since.

Guys. I've decided to finally unbox my Blue DS4 I got at launch to use pretty much exclusively with my PC so my other DS4 can be used to control Netflix and the WWE Network. It is done.

Indignate

I don't like how a lot of the fights in there are 1v4. I don't want to image how hard it must be on the higher difficulties.

You do have your summons in there though, which makes the fights a tad easier, you just have to hire a character that has them.

But yeah, the last one that you have to do is a damn hassle.

Turfster

Daily SPAZ 80% off
Midweek
  • Banner Saga 50% off
  • Van Helsing Franchise 50% off

Humble Day 2
  • Batman Citrus GOTY 5€
  • Broforce 9€
  • Child of LIght 7.5€
  • Monaco 1.20€
  • Reflex MX vs ATV 0.80€
  • Prison Architect 8.66€
  • State of Decay 6.33€
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2 Going East 2€
  • Dust 2.5€
  • War in the North 5€
  • Legend of Dungeon 1.88€
  • Not the Robots 2€
  • Capsized 0.8€
  • Memoria 5€
  • Ascendant 4€

So. Instead of porting FF13, 13-2 and Lightning Returns for PC, S-E decided they develop an own streaming plattform for mobiles?

I wonder if that works. I mean, are there real internet-flatrates in Japan? Im sure you would need LTE/4G, which is kinda expensive too if you arent streaming at home. And at home... why stream it to a small mobile device, when you can get the "real" experience?

I really wonder why they dont just port the trilogy to PC...

Khronico

What in the world.

For no apparent reason I dreamed last night that I bought FFXIV and was really excited to play it. Now, a few hours after waking up, here I am on the steam page looking at FFXIV, mulling over the idea of maybe buying it in the near future.

This is not how I expected to spend my morning hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom