• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Gone Home is great! I would have given that away too but for the soundtrack

Sharkiller

Friend of mine showed me this with the text "I only pay for games"

Couldnt stop laughing
so true. i bought that game thinking it was some kind of horror game. never read about it. i know it won a goty or best pc game or something.

played for a few hours waiting for something scary or even a scary end to find I finished the "game" one moment to another.

worst dollars ever spent. -1/10

Arthea

So I paid $7 for LUFTRAUSERS, it better delivers or I have another grudge against der Experte, as he sold me on this game.
and hopefully something I don't have will be unlocked later.

I liked Gone Home ];

Had everything there minus Steamworld Dig so $1 well spent.

oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying is wrong to like it, even if I can't understand why, but I still loathe it.

kafiend

What is the thing with gone home? I barely heard about it as a "walking simulator" and people hating it. Is there really nothing else to do but walking?

It's polarizing that's all. I loved it, for others perhaps there wasn't enough waifu or blowing shit up.

Arthea

What is the thing with gone home? I barely heard about it as a "walking simulator" and people hating it. Is there really nothing else to do but walking?

there is walking and there is Gone Home, which isn't even walking, it's plain boredom (><)

Pretty much, but if you are into narrative games then it's good. But yeah you just walk around and interact with stuff around the house and listen to diary entries.

Deitus

I haven't played it, but my understanding is you walk around a house and pick up stuff to look at it. All of the story is told through items and notes that you find. There are no puzzles, people to interact with, or obstacles to overcome.

Whether that's a bad thing is obviously going to depend on your personal opinions.

Hugstable

Banned
Bundle seems alright, own everything besides Papers Please though haha. I still can't believe they are already at such a high number, I still remember buying Indie bundle 2 and 3 years ago!

Pretty much, but if you are into narrative games then it's good. But yeah you just walk around and interact with stuff around the house and listen to diary entries.

Wouldnt even say the "game" is about narrative. Its more about a ministory that is obviously,boring and doesnt give you something to think about. Its more like a walking-simulation-that-is-about-the-atmosphere-because-80s-are-so-damn-cool-right-now.

Dear Esther at least made you think about what the fuck you just played.

Chariot

It's polarizing that's all. I loved it, for others perhaps there wasn't enough waifu or blowing shit up.

there is walking and there is Gone Home, which isn't even walking, it's plain boredom (><)

I haven't played it, but my understanding is you walk around a house and pick up stuff to look at it. All of the story is told through items and notes that you find. There are no puzzles, people to interact with, or obstacles to overcome.

Whether that's a bad thing is obviously going to depend on your personal opinions.
Oh ok, thank you!
With the look of the horror game I get why people are disappointed.

Kanokare

Bundle seems alright, own everything besides Papers Please though haha. I still can't believe they are already at such a high number, I still remember buying Indie bundle 2 and 3 years ago!

And I own nothing in this bundle :D

Oh yeah off topic Nozaki-kun - I love the intro so much! Thought it was Nico Touches the Walls at first though lol. Currently on episode 7.

Wouldnt even say the "game" is about narrative. Its more about a ministory that is obviously,boring and doesnt give you something to think about. Its more like a walking-simulation-that-is-about-the-atmosphere-because-80s-are-so-damn-cool-right-now.

It's about the 90s though. And it's great.

Edit: Can we please cut this "not a game" shit out? They're just words, if you don't like it being referred to as that then big deal. Doesn't make it any less of a game.

Wow, did you just compare it disfavourably to Dear Esther? That's a bold comparison indeed.

Copons

Yo you better stop buying that BTA because as soon as I come back home from dinner I have to be able to snag it at 5$ top, or else.

Wow, did you just compare it disfavourably to Dear Esther? That's a bold comparison indeed.

Both are bad. But Dear Esther at least came first and Gone Home is worse than DE.

If you at least say it isnt a game then im okay with you liking it.

Edit: Okay i cut it out now. Seems like all those Architecture Programs where you could run trough the house you just build is considered a game now.

Pakkidis

Giving away these games. I hope you enjoy them. I really enjoyed Gone Home.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pakkidis:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pakkidis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Steamworld Dig -- MB-955E773C287F56A4 - Taken by derExperte. 20 entrants total.
Gone Home -- MB-5A28400B95027B78 - Taken by Scipius. 26 entrants total.

t1410298420z1.png

jediyoshi

Does it make you think because the narration is so obtuse you literally have to try and recall what the fuck actually happened? Is that a good thing nowadays?

It is a game though. It's sold on Steam under the games category.

So Tags are now worth the same? Bad Rats = GOTY confirmed.

Like i said.

Seems like all those Architecture Programs where you could run trough the house you just build is considered a game now.

Does it make you think because the narration is so obtuse you literally have to try and recall what the fuck actually happened? Is that a good thing nowadays?

No. But Gone Home is like 1 Minute long if you take the "Explore everything and look in every corner" seriously.

Typical. I F5'ing Humble Bundle every single day, and the first day in months that I'm not home is when they decide to launch the BOTY :'(

Waiting for my 5$ Paypal coupon to buy the BTA...

I'm pretty sure DE is like 1 Minute long if your character wasn't crawling on his hands and knees throughout the entirety of the game.

Same could be said about Stanley Parable.
Walking Simulations are not great if you dont like the theme or what its about. And i still didnt found a Walking Simulation with Nazi Dinosaurs in it.

Edit: Can we please cut this "not a game" shit out? They're just words, if you don't like it being referred to as that then big deal. Doesn't make it any less of a game.

Merriam-Webster defines a "game" as "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure." I was going to put the definition of "video game" but that uses "game" to define it, so we couldn't get to the root of the matter.

One could argue that Gone Home doesn't have rules. Also given the lack of puzzles, one could further argue that it's not a mental activity. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that assessment, but I think its status as a game is subjective as opposed to objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom