• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakkidis

Welp. Only game of interest for me in the 2nd tier is Luftrausers (had Gone Home spoiled for me, and Papers, Please seems a little too depressing - I'm not looking for a game that's "not supposed to be fun" right now), and the BTA's hovering outside of "impulse buy" territory. If it dips to sub-$5 in the next few hours, I'll pull the trigger, otherwise I'll content myself with the $1 tier. Still, definitely a better showing from Humble than I was expecting this week.

BTA always goes up never down.

Pretty sure Gunpoint made its money back in a minute after the pre-orders went live. It cost like $30 to make it and he said he made enough to quit his current job and become a full-time game dev lol

no worry

Haunted

Welp. Only game of interest for me in the 2nd tier is Luftrausers (had Gone Home spoiled for me, and Papers, Please seems a little too depressing - I'm not looking for a game that's "not supposed to be fun" right now), and the BTA's hovering outside of "impulse buy" territory. If it dips to sub-$5 in the next few hours, I'll pull the trigger, otherwise I'll content myself with the $1 tier. Still, definitely a better showing from Humble than I was expecting this week.
Papers, Please is great.

What an awesome humble bundle! Bought at the $10 tier for Prison Architect. I already had several of the games already. But the three I did not have (Luftrausers, Prison Architect, and Hammer Watch) makes it worth it to me since all three were on my wishlist. On the plus side of things I can give away the spares I got in the bundle.

Tellaerin

That's not true at all. There have been previous bundles where the average has dropped at certain points, sometimes pretty sharply.

i actually remember 1 time it went down. not by much but it definitely went down by at least a dollar.

Can't recall which bundle it was now, but still I remember one dropping from around $5 to around $3.40 or thereabouts, which was when I happened to pull the trigger.

Vazduh

Fantastic game!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gunpoint -- MB-1BD43AF18062C9F4 - Taken by redlacs. 8 entrants total.

t1410290560z1.png

madjoki

Valve announced 75 million active user accounts (those with at least one purchased title + account activity no older than a month) back in January. The total number of accounts would be notably higher, I'd imagine.

According with SteamAPI, there's 113 230 118 accounts that's more than year old and 85 749 364 accounts with at least one game.

I imagine you could create new account and calculate using steam id total number of accounts.

Well, I promise I'll stop bitching after this post, but I decided to buy the bundle since I could use some cool games to cheer me up (I haven't forgotten that I've just won Volgarr, but I had 4 of those games on my wishlist), and now for the first time in my life Humble is waiting for PayPal to process the transaction.

I think I shouldn't have gotten out of bed today :( I ain't even mad right now, it's just funny :lol

EDIT: Yay, false alarm. I actually got the email immediately, it's just that the website got stuck. All is well that ends well :)

Arthea

I'm not sure what you mean, but that's not true, it always goes down at the start (not this time, it started climbing up almost immediately), sometimes even dives down, after initial dive it steadily goes up little by little until it settles on some price and remains basically the same after that till the end. Usually in a range of $5-6, but lately it seems to be more than $7, as all bundles have third and forth tiers now and some people buy those.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still trying to find a mobile game,I actually like.

I did enjoy Monument Valley and Year Walk, the latter I played on PC.

I will put this one on my Android Wishlist and wait for the Steam release. Looks right up my alley.

If you've got anything Apple related, I've got a recommendation right here:

screen568x568.jpeg

I've seen plenty bad games in my day, but even these have their fans. I hardly can remember a game that hasn't. Have you?

Big. Rigs.

Elminage Gothic is coming to Steam on the 18th of September, and will be just $10/£7, and an extra 20% off for pre ordering. That's a pretty great deal.

That's way sooner than I expected, awesome! And cheaper than I expected too.

That artbook actually sounds nice, too.

Humble Indie 12 bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Steamworld Dig
  • Hammerwatch
  • Gunpoint
TIER 2: BTA
  • Papers, Please
  • Luftrausers
  • Gone Home
  • ?
TIER 3: 10$
  • Prison Architect

Cool for people that don't own those games yet. I already own the ones I'm really interested in on one platform or another though.

yo, we heard you like gambling so now you can pre-order without knowing the content and later hope the games will be released

I wonder if one of those bonuses will be a special coin worth $3.

chugen

hf
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chugen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Papers Please -- MB-038EC789B0501DA1 - Taken by topyy. 11 entrants total.

t1410291040z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's what he said costed the Gamemaker. But he worked at the game. When you say it like that, it really sounds like there was no work of value involved developing the game. Work is worth money.

If he developed the game in his spare time such that development didn't impact his day job and there were no other costs involved, which appears to the case, then not really. What you say is true of his next game, though, since he's no doubt used the Gunpoint profit pool to pay the bills thus far.

Tellaerin

Papers, Please is great.

Oh, I'm not knocking the quality of the game - from what I've heard, it's awesome at what it sets out to do. It's just that having been dealing with some pretty depressing real life issues lately, a game that's supposed to be a downer isn't what I'm looking for as entertainment right now.

So, it turns out that I am a massive dipshit and I purchased Papers, Please during the last steam sale. Man I'm dumb.

However, it's not all bad as it has given birth to this.

ModBot 2 said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ShadowgeistX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Papers, Please -- MB-498DF4F46FBF6ABF - Taken by inm8num2. 26 entrants total.

t1410300940z1.png

Asgaro

Both are bad. But Dear Esther at least came first and Gone Home is worse than DE.

Gone Home at least has gameplay mechanics (searching for clues, crouching, map), while Dear Esther is truly a walking simulator: you might as well push the forward key all the time and you can still complete it. :D

I watched Dear Esther via a 1080p YT playthrough and don't think I missed a single thing from the experience.

While Gone Home I did buy and did play by myself. Simply because experiences can still vary between players: you can rush, not notice all interactible items, etc. Or you can go in-depth and even read stuff you can't even interact with.
I liked the game for what it was and didn't feel ripped off. (Though only bought it for around € 5.)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (StrongArmSteady, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Gunpoint -- MB-FCA0A3DEBD284BFA - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Hammerwatch -- MB-E624AB5E4B58360A - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon

Best thing about everyone rushing to dump their dupe bundle games now is that those that wait 6 months look like saints when they horde them up. That and it gives poor old ModBot and the thread a break.

dude, stop giving away my secret

Already have a couple of these, but I'm curious if prison architect is that good. I am very familiar with introversion so I know they can make a good game.

yes. Prison Architect is that good. And I haven't played for a few of the later releases.

This is incredibly false and has everything to do with the quality of games in each tier. In this case, Prison Architect is driving that price up because it's a hell of a good deal.

Tizoc

If you've got anything Apple related, I've got a recommendation right here:

screen568x568.jpeg

Big. Rigs.

That's way sooner than I expected, awesome! And cheaper than I expected too.

That artbook actually sounds nice, too.

Cool for people that don't own those games yet. I already own the ones I'm really interested in on one platform or another though.

I wonder if one of those bonuses will be a special coin worth $3.
We need to spam Atlus' twitter to release that thing on Steam.
Even with the 'gamepad' interface.

In honor of my early morning insomnia that I can't seem to shake (which totally sucks by the way) I've actually had some time in those sleepless early morning to be playing some Steam games.

Some quick hitting thoughts from games in the last month:

BattleBlock Theater - I was rather into this at the start. The presentation was enjoyably madcap, the levels added in interesting new mechanics, the character head / tool / weapon options we fun to poke around with. I progressed through most of the game, but ended up running out of steam near the end. Just something about the basic feel of running and jumping made the game wear on me, I felt like levels continued to roll out new concepts and up the difficulty, but I wasn't getting the sense of enjoyment from beating them versus something like Super Meat Boy.

Mortal Kombat Komplete - (note: I don't like MK enough to really try the online part of this, so this was just me goofing through the story mode, which I actually rather enjoy doing for fighting games). This is a game that I was really able to enjoy due to the love put into it. In general MK has never been my thing, I find the character designs to range from ok (a few) to just plain terrible (most of the cast), I don't like the shared basic movesets, projectile battles always feel off, animations are pretty weak, block button always throws me off, the story is a garbled mess, and so on. Now obviously some of this is just the way that MK is, but it has never been something that I've been into. But in spite of all this I still found this game enjoyable. It feels like it's clearly made by folks who love the fighting games genre and MK in particular. It has a solid PC port with all the needed control options, it has a full story mode to play through, it has a big cast of classic characters, some interesting new mechanics, tons of good looking stages, and X-Ray moves (which I found cringe-worthy and amusing at the same time). Last boss was a bit nasty I will say, not SNK worthy but I ended up having to rely on Dark Soulesq kiting and very careful projectile spamming.

Risk of Rain - If I'm a games reviewer this is a 10/10 to me. I don't believe that a 10 means a "perfect" game, but instead one that I really enjoy in which every element in it furthers the enjoyment of the whole. The controls are incredibly tight, I was always in complete control of my character and never felt like I was a victim of dodgy hitboxes or anything like that. The music and fantastic pixel art fit the sci-fi 80's theme perfectly and had a level of cohesiveness between game graphics, HUI, menus, and cutscenes that clowns many AAA games. The escalating difficulty meter is genius design work, it prevented me from using slow down spam tactics to progress as those tactics cost far too much time, and it also forced me to continually be aware of how I was traversing a level in terms of trading difficulty increased versus getting more items per level. The different characters also create rather different playstyles, which help to mix it up when you've started to nail your gameplay for any single class. I got up to getting a clear on medium difficulty and now I'm putting it aside for a while, but it's the rare game that I can see coming back to again and again. Plus co-op modes for the icing on the cake.

Arthea

Gone Home is a great experience, I thought. I actually enjoyed always expecting something scary to happen.

if by incredible experience you mean incredibly boring and dull, I agree.
Also it isn't scary at all.
I feel like I played different game altogether, when I read some posts here.

Phinor

if by incredible experience you mean incredibly boring and dull, I agree.
Also it isn't scary at all.
I feel like I played different game altogether, when I read some posts here.

And some of us feel like you played a different game altogether. Gone Home is VERY divisive.

I got nothing out of Dear Esther, but Gone Home was great.

Newblade

Steaming hot.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Memories of a Vagabond -- MB-80B8DF904948F54B - Taken by Scipius
HEILEEN 3: NEW HORIZONS - DELUXE EDITION -- MB-3806D2F451E63039 - Taken by Zeeman
ESCHALON: BOOK III -- MB-D5E3369F0AB9814A - Taken by bluechox2
PGP3OVL.png
BLOODRAYNE 2 (GOG) -- MB-ED7C02AAAE679BD1 - Taken by Ezalc
Eschalon: Book I -- MB-578850A5310687C3 - Taken by madjoki
Eschalon: Book II -- MB-52E9328528A427E9 - Taken by madjoki
MELTDOWN -- MB-336A01377952633C - Taken by KenOD

I watched Dear Esther via a 1080p YT playthrough and don't think I missed a single thing from the experience.

I really liked that 30 minutes or so it took me to get through all of it. It's a beautiful game. I'd rather play than watch just so that I could explore and look at things as I wish rather than hope someone explores where you want.

Steaming hot.

Memories of a Vagabond's art in the little box there reminds me of a flash game series called Swords and Sandals. That shit would be so fly if they made a retail version. Basically 2-d turn-based Chivalry.

kiyomi

I dunno, I held out when I was tempted by Gone Home and Gunpoint recently when they were cheap, and the rest weren't on my radar, but I'm really happy to get them now. I definitely wanna check out Prison Architect, I remember seeing a Giant Bomb QL of it and thinking it looked quite interesting, but I'll be going into it mostly blind.

I'm also super tempted by The Banner Saga, aeiiiiieeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom