• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are bad. But Dear Esther at least came first and Gone Home is worse than DE.

If you at least say it isnt a game then im okay with you liking it.

Edit: Okay i cut it out now. Seems like all those Architecture Programs where you could run trough the house you just build is considered a game now.

do you have a crusade against the "correct definition of 'game'"?

Khronico

Some bundle stuff I didn't realize I still had. Enjoy!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Khronico:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Khronico, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

No Time to Explain -- MB-E4FED5132272F821 - Taken by Hero Prinny
Heroes of a Broken Land -- MB-7CEE57FF988D633C - Taken by Henry Swanson
Hammerwatch -- MB-FE2FFDF8EBC12229 - Taken by PunishedSnake
Soundodger Plus -- MB-609ADCA8DD32CE97 - Taken by Vlad

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: There was an error processing one of your keys. If a key is missing from the list, there was an error processing it. This may be an issue with unicode characters in a game name or could just be a glitch in the system. Feel free to post your giveaway or resubmit to see if it processes the next time. If no keys are missing, disregard this message.
Not sure which game had issues with modbot, if your key doesn't work pm me and I'll send it to you again.

kevin1025

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kevin1025, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gunpoint -- MB-D4A4791267E54ACC - Taken by fenners. 6 entrants total.
Sreamworld Dig -- MB-C99077137EC64210 - Taken by AsylumX. 8 entrants total.

t1410288940z1.png

For SteamGAF!

Its a matter of opinions whether people like a game or not. I can understand the confusion with the horror vibe Gone Home makes you believe it has but doesn't have. It's been a while since I felt as invested in the story of a game as Gone Home made me feel.

ViviOggi

Merriam-Webster defines a "game" as "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure." I was going to put the definition of "video game" but that uses "game" to define it, so we couldn't get to the root of the matter.

One could argue that Gone Home doesn't have rules. Also given the lack of puzzles, one could further argue that it's not a mental activity. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that assessment, but I think its status as a game is subjective as opposed to objective.

I really can't see how.

redlacs

yo, we heard you like gambling so now you can pre-order without knowing the content and later hope the games will be released

Merriam-Webster defines a "game" as "a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure." I was going to put the definition of "video game" but that uses "game" to define it, so we couldn't get to the root of the matter.

One could argue that Gone Home doesn't have rules.

Neither does Bioshock or Mario.

Arthea

Wow, did you just compare it disfavourably to Dear Esther? That's a bold comparison indeed.

I agree with him, I was at least somewhat interested in story and symbolism of Dear Esther, not to mention that it's pretty to look at, while Gone Home bored me from start to finish, every second of it.
Nothing bold about it, different people, different tastes.

I think Arkham Asylum & City are some of the only games where I'm in a constant state of "I want to play it again but I don't want to play it again". Playing them again on a more powerful system would be nice but I already beat Asylum twice & I didn't like City that much.

Parsnip

Extras from various bundles. I don't know what's the deal with that apple icon there with Audiosurf, it's a Steam code from the current weekly humble. Modbot be crazy.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Runespell: Overture -- MB-665DDC29724911F2 - Taken by Ezalc. 1 entrants total.
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-2D82D6A69314C4DD - Taken by deadflower81. 2 entrants total.
Hammerwatch -- MB-04C1DD4E1CBBBE8B - Taken by bronson. 3 entrants total.
Spate -- MB-2B34E886D0006D1D - Taken by wetflame. 1 entrants total.
Hydrophobia Prophecy -- MB-3E5543A7B7B8E285 - Taken by Cosmic Schwung. 2 entrants total.
World of Goo -- MB-D4795BA14048861F - Taken by Ingueferroque. 1 entrants total.
Wizardry 8 -- MB-8577FB141F931515 - Taken by Aerocrane. 2 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-B150621297645659 - Taken by lukiluk. 2 entrants total.
qzNSxgo.jpg
AudioSurf -- MB-FFF87FFD538008D9 - Taken by Zeeman. 1 entrants total.
Avencast: Rise of the Mage -- MB-2B6FAF37FD635148 - Taken by nja
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-A86A64A4B0AFCBC6 - Taken by eyeless. 2 entrants total.
Greed: Black Border -- MB-548A699BDDA0FEFC - Taken by agniswarm
Amnesia: The Dark Descent -- MB-23A8898D7FB6F1A6 - Taken by cardinalmind. 2 entrants total.
Volgarr the Viking -- MB-AFFDE49B85A3FFFB - Taken by Fare Godmace. 11 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-E80F835E1F938DBB - Taken by billmcdougal
Harvester -- MB-2E92669F303C6262 - Taken by MulderWasTaken. 2 entrants total.
Syberia II -- MB-8C6B32D21EB150CF - Taken by ndawgdrake. 1 entrants total.
Orbital Gear -- MB-EBFDB6AC09F256CB - Taken by bronson
Syberia -- MB-69F691FFABE118DE - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.
Gunpoint -- MB-5C081C6C2BCE42C5 - Taken by Helmholtz. 3 entrants total.
System Shock 2 -- MB-77348312C7136AE2 - Taken by Kiru. 4 entrants total.
I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream -- MB-0526B42AB8768421 - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes -- MB-00B531F26D174598 - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
Papers, Please -- MB-7C4ECED1F2FC8D48 - Taken by Teppic. 13 entrants total.

t1410289060z1.png

AsylumX

I'm missing all Tier 1 games, but I'll wait for an average price drop.

It won't drop that much or at all. $10 for Prison Architect plus all the other games is an awesome deal. And you need to take into account that all the games are available for MAC and Linux, those guys always pay more... Raising the BTA even more.

Kacho

I guess I missed the news back in July that Flight Simulator X was coming to Steam later this year. That's quite badass. I've been wanting that game to come to Steam for years.

madjoki

Typical. I F5'ing Humble Bundle every single day, and the first day in months that I'm not home when the bundle goes live is the day they decide to launch the best bundle of the year :'(

Waiting for my 5$ Paypal coupon to buy the BTA...

They changed terms, so I doubt anyone is going to get those (after $5 coupon offer was removed from page).

This offer is only valid for customers who received a direct communication from PayPal Inc. or a paypal.com offer. Offer is valid only on purchases of $6.00 or more.

I guess I missed the news back in July that Flight Simulator X was coming to Steam later this year. That's quite badass. I've been wanting that game to come to Steam for years.

Aw, shit. That's great news. Really need to get my HOTAS soon now, was waiting for Elite/Star Citizen but I need it!

Dr Dogg

Best thing about everyone rushing to dump their dupe bundle games now is that those that wait 6 months look like saints when they horde them up. That and it gives poor old ModBot and the thread a break.

They changed terms, so I doubt anyone is going to get those (after $5 coupon offer was removed from page).

Welp, thanks for the heads up.

I've had a shitty day, I know it's not a big deal to miss saving 5$ for such a great bunch of games, but I'm very pissed right now :(

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Already have a couple of these, but I'm curious if prison architect is that good. I am very familiar with introversion so I know they can make a good game.

baterism

Just got email from Steam that Indonesian Rupiah will be coming at 16 Sept. I expect to see a lot of zeroes on store soon. Finger crossed regional pricing will follow Ru or Bra, we are third world country too!

xBladeM6x

Incoming Indie game giveaway wave.

ModBot said:
Instructions for xBladeM6x:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xBladeM6x, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Papers, Please -- MB-15469DE878B094FF - Taken by Perun. 23 entrants total.

t1410289840z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ended up trading my Stomping Land spare for a copy of the Defiance Pre-purchase Edition of Rift. It's not quite CSI:NY, but, hey, it's a game that would otherwise not be a +1.

yo, we heard you like gambling so now you can pre-order without knowing the content and later hope the games will be released

Tbf, Indie Royale used to do this with their first bundles, so it's nothing new. I bought a couple since they had good deals back then, no way in hell I'd buy blindly a bunch of games that probably will never get greenlit.

will that actually work? I only want Steamworld Dig, so I'd give away the others.

Doesn't look like it will:

----

EDIT: Holy shit, I won Volgarr! Thanks, Parsnip :)

Grief.exe

What is Steam at now? 70 million registered users? Which means at most Gunpoint could have sold up to ~350,000 if my maths is correct? Not bad for a man and his GameMaker Studio.

The actual number of registered accounts is much higher than that. Steam is probably approaching 80-90 million active users per month.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is Steam at now? 70 million registered users? Which means at most Gunpoint could have sold up to ~350,000 if my maths is correct? Not bad for a man and his GameMaker Studio.

Valve announced 75 million active user accounts (those with at least one purchased title + account activity no older than a month) back in January. The total number of accounts would be notably higher, I'd imagine.

That's a weird thing to say. Every game that 0% (rounded) of people on Steam bought could have sold "up to" that many copies. It could also have sold 10. I'm sure Gunpoint was successful but the only thing you can get from that numer is the maximum number of copies he sold, which means nothing in this case.

Haunted

Z3IfxT3.gif

Interesting tweets by Tom Francis (the guy behind Gunpoint):

https://twitter.com/GunpointGame/status/509412536936980480
https://twitter.com/GunpointGame/status/509412610207281153

"I know it can feel like "Everyone has it by now!" so here's an interesting stat: to the nearest percent, 0% of Steam users own Gunpoint."

"That's how big Steam is, you can live in the 0%."
80 million active users. <0,5% = 1 - 399999 copies sold.

Not as terrible as it appears on first glance?

Tellaerin

Welp. Only game of interest for me in the 2nd tier is Luftrausers (had Gone Home spoiled for me, and Papers, Please seems a little too depressing - I'm not looking for a game that's "not supposed to be fun" right now), and the BTA's hovering outside of "impulse buy" territory. If it dips to sub-$5 in the next few hours, I'll pull the trigger, otherwise I'll content myself with the $1 tier. Still, definitely a better showing from Humble than I was expecting this week.

The actual number of registered accounts is much higher than that. Steam is probably approaching 80-90 million active users per month.

Valve announced 75 million active user accounts (those with at least one purchased title + account activity no older than a month) back in January. The total number of accounts would be notably higher, I'd imagine.

Oh. Oh my. That's quite something.

That's a weird thing to say. Every game that 0% (rounded) of people on Steam bought could have sold "up to" that many copies. It could also have sold 10. I'm sure Gunpoint was successful but the only thing you can get from that numer is the maximum number of copies he sold, which means nothing in this case.

Certainly. I never meant it to be any set in stone thing. Someone was sad earlier because they thought Gunpoint might not be doing well due to the rounding down to 0% but obviously it could have sold anything up to almost a million at this point.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played it, but my understanding is you walk around a house and pick up stuff to look at it. All of the story is told through items and notes that you find. There are no puzzles, people to interact with, or obstacles to overcome.

Whether that's a bad thing is obviously going to depend on your personal opinions.
That's not entirely true.

If you at least say it isnt a game then im okay with you liking it.

Edit: Okay i cut it out now. Seems like all those Architecture Programs where you could run trough the house you just build is considered a game now.
Way to be dense, dude. We get it, you don't like it, move on.

You start to sound like I did whenever someone brought up F.E.A.R. 3. And trust me, you don't want to sound like me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom