• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I held out when I was tempted by Gone Home and Gunpoint recently when they were cheap, and the rest weren't on my radar, but I'm really happy to get them now. I definitely wanna check out Prison Architect, I remember seeing a Giant Bomb QL of it and thinking it looked quite interesting, but I'll be going into it mostly blind.

I'm also super tempted by The Banner Saga, aeiiiiieeee

First you gonna play that Papers Please game. Then you can play what you want.

Arthea

And some of us feel like you played a different game altogether. Gone Home is VERY divisive.

I got nothing out of Dear Esther, but Gone Home was great.

I totally get that people can like something I don't, but "great" or "incredible" seem like kind of inside joke I'm not part of, you know, like bad rats craze.
It isn't even remotely believable.
Anyway, I'm done with Gone Home talk.

Maybe unlike a lot of SteamGAF, s/he doesn't have to buy the games if s/he is not gonna ply them. ;)
QE7jNXS.gif

GET. OUT.

Maybe unlike a lot of SteamGAF, s/he doesn't have to buy the games if s/he is not gonna ply them. ;)

Yeah after a certain point it ends up being more about making your library bigger than it is about the games in your library. I've started avoiding even getting the $1 bundles because of that, unless there is a game I'm really excited for.

Asgaro

I really liked that 30 minutes or so it took me to get through all of it. It's a beautiful game. I'd rather play than watch just so that I could explore and look at things as I wish rather than hope someone explores where you want.

Is there enough things to see aside from what's on the "main road"?
I'm normally someone who explores every inch of a game level, even if you don't need to be there at all. (I'm now playing Crysis 3 and I'm even doing it there lol.)

If it's the case, I would consider buying and playing it. It's been a while since I watched that YT playthrough and I can't remember a lot of the game actually.
(Probably also because watching something versus playing something indeed requires another level of concentration.)

( I also have a tiny fascination with checking the out of bounds area of games. Always funny to see the low-res quality compared to where you should be looking.
Sniper Elite V2 made me laugh. )
A82662099720BF1C3258F33851E60D25DE36E37B

if by incredible experience you mean incredibly boring and dull, I agree.
Also it isn't scary at all.
I feel like I played different game altogether, when I read some posts here.

I never typed incredible, so your disdain is showing.

Spoilers
Your family isn't home, but they should be. What the fuck is going on. Did I hear something? Is mom fucking around on dad?! Where's dad? Is dad a drunk? Where's my sister? What the hell is with this house's history?!?!

I totally was expecting to find a pile of bodies somewhere.

I own GH, but Luftrausers is enticing and I've heard decent things about Steamworld Dig.

But i'm holding. If it never drops to $5 then i'm ok with it. I would pay $2.50 each for those 2 games but not much more.

Made so much progress with my backlog, can't break now. ::continues to play Velocity 2X and the Darkness 1 like a weirdo::

I totally get that people can like something I don't, but "great" or "incredible" seem like kind of inside joke I'm not part of, you know, like bad rats craze.
It isn't even remotely believable.
Anyway, I'm done with Gone Home talk.

not remotely believable?

Are you talking about the story? um...could you elaborate (with spoilers as needed). I get not liking it, but I fail to see what was not believable about the story.

Kanokare

Soooo... Yesterday I found out I won a 270 dollar PSU from EVGA - http://www.evga.com/articles/00867/Back-To-School-Gaming-Event/

Today, I got a call for a job interview next week. Definitely excited! That PSU is a sign; I definitely know what I'm buying within my first few salary pay.
A car of course!! And then build a computer with that PSU :p I'm currently on an i7 920 @4.0 and 760 but those 900s are tempting me to build a new one!

Hanzou

Wow. First Bundle in years where it has games I want and I don't own a bunch. Only own Steamworld which I finished earlier in the year.

Arthea

not remotely believable?

Are you talking about the story? um...could you elaborate (with spoilers as needed). I get not liking it, but I fail to see what was not believable about the story.

lol no, I mean that Gone Home being incredible or great as a game.
Story did nothing for me, notes were just notes, ledgers just ledgers, no great or even interesting writing anywhere to be found, I get that people can be attracted to secret where is family gone, but it was all presented so poorly that I couldn't care less. It's like someone checked what's most boring way to present such secret and then did just that.

Dr Dogg

You're in too deep now Cyan. You have to be up to what, 20 games on Steam by now? It's the bundles that get you hooked!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Evil Within confirmed to have a pre-load available on Steam and PSN that starts on October 12th. Game becomes available midnight on October 13th on Steam (dawn of October 14th).

SSPssp

Soooo... Yesterday I found out I won a 270 dollar PSU from EVGA - http://www.evga.com/articles/00867/Back-To-School-Gaming-Event/

Today, I got a call for a job interview next week. Definitely excited! That PSU is a sign; I definitely know what I'm buying within my first few salary pay.
A car of course!! And then build a computer with that PSU :p I'm currently on an i7 920 @4.0 and 760 but those 900s are tempting me to build a new one!

Wow! Congratulations dude! I always assume that no one actually wins those things. Good luck on the interview!

Thanks to Spoderman on CAG, one of the games is this: Star Traders 4X Empires

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I received a call yesterday about a p/t job I applied for, but by the time I realised I had a missed call it was too late (it was an eastern states number); fortunately, though, the position will be advertised for another few weeks, so I doubt I missed my chance. The hard part, if all goes well, will be resisting the urge to spend the extra income on silly things like a replacement SSD (because my current one likes to lock up and has corrupted itself twice now) or a new monitor (because my current one is quite literally falling apart). I'm eyeing the 900 series myself and had originally intended to upgrade in time for AssCreed Unity, but I'll probably instead hold off on that until after the Winter Sale because games.

DOOM DOOM DOOM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9050/

lol no, I mean that Gone Home being incredible or great as a game.
Story did nothing for me, notes were just notes, ledgers just ledgers, no great or even interesting writing anywhere to be found, I get that people can be attracted to secret where is family gone, but it was all presented so poorly that I couldn't care less. It's like someone checked what's most boring way to present such secret and then did just that.

I found using audio-only quotidian vignettes delivered perfectly by the voice actress while a common storm rages fairly commonly to create a meaningful and memorable character arc both "incredible" and "great" on the game's part.

I'm not sure what isn't believable about "different strokes for different folks."

Sendou

Oh, I didn't actually remember what Gunpoint was, but I think I played a demo of it a while back and it seemed really cool. Well then I'll be picking up that one as well. The doom of Cyan continues...

Gunpoint is very fun and unique game. It's also not too long either which is something people with long backlogs should appreciate.

Tempted to get back to playing Papers, Please but I think I'll wait given it's coming to the vita. Seems like a game that's really made for touch.

always wanted gunpoint, but no controller support means that i'm much less interested in it : /

It would be a little wonky to play with a controller since you need to use the mouse to wire up switches to lights/doors/elevators/etc. Not that it couldn't be done of course, but it would be rather cumbersome, I think.

maty

Is the BTA worth it? I don't have any of the games... but the price is so high T_T

I went with the $10 tier, I was missing 4 games so it was like paying $2.50 each which is around the same as a 75%off sale on Steam.

Prison architect has never been lower than $10 so getting it for 1/4 that price is already a good deal.

I'm very pro-controller and anti-keyboard in most cases -- but I didn't mind with gunpoint. It was simple and effective/responsive.

It would be a little wonky to play with a controller since you need to use the mouse to wire up switches to lights/doors/elevators/etc. Not that it couldn't be done of course, but it would be rather cumbersome, I think.

I guess i could play it on my laptop, maybe.

But the humble's BTA keeps rising and i'm not paying more than $5 for that stuff so i might just wait for a steam sale.

Is there enough things to see aside from what's on the "main road"?

I know at least in the first area there's plenty. A sea cave behind the shack, alternate paths, boat crashes. The cave level probably not as much, but that's to be expected.

I remember walking away impressed considering all I'd heard about it before was being a waste of time. I don't know if I'd say a video would give me the same experience I had controlling it.

But then again I'm usually very forgiving.

Miker

I think it might be a good game to play with the DS4 trackpad, if you don't mind tweaking the sensitivity via the drivers, etc.

WELL IVE BEEN WORKING IN A COAL MINE, GOIN DOWN DOWN DOWN

ModBot said:
Instructions for Gunstarheroes:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gunstarheroes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Steamworld Dig -- MB-2636EC116CAF6C9B - Taken by SalsaShark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom