• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
yeah this is what drew me to Terraria but I felt just thrown into it with no structure whatsoever.. but I didnt know about the guide or anything.. Just a simple 'how to get started' would be fine..

tbh though I only tried it for like 5-10 minutes before I idled it for cards.. I've been meaning to go back but after hearing they were adding achievements I figure why not just wait for that.
Achievements might actually be able to give you a bit of the structure you're asking for by providing goals that signify your progression in the game(crafting certain level items, defeating bosses, reaching certain areas, building certain things, etc).

I usually cringe at the idea of not playing a game because it doesn't have achievements, but this is one where it might actually prove useful.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Papers, Please (Steam) -- MB-A6373E5C8F67A88E - Taken by Caerith

Gvaz

Banned
Btw, if people are getting pissy about an anon donater of keys, they should calm the fuck down.

You're getting a chance at free shit. relax.

I've bought a used wired 360 white wired controller thinking it was the authentic one, but I figured out that it was fake (no inline release and other stuff). So Inplan to get an XBone controller, I hope there aren't any fakes on the market yet (I hope it is so early for fakes now for PS4 and xbone controllers). i also have windows 7 seven and I read it works best with windows 8. I spotted the titanfall controller too. Please reassure me that there aren't fakes yet and that it can work with windows seven.

Dr Dogg

Just checked out what on earth Origin is doing to spike CPU usage and it's nothing too over the top my end. The process itself has 28-32 threads with the jump appearing on the executable itself. Looking at traffic detail it's downloading, reading and writing all at the same time which might be why it's so high as there's only one main thread doing all of that. Lightweight it is not.

I really just need the review thread
wink.gif

I get the feeling reviews for Destiny are going to be all over the place. From the impressions here, the comical 10's and 0's that are the Metacritc user reviews, what I've seen of the full game and played of the beta it's a game that rewards various aspects quite differently. If you're a single player kind of person it seem really not as content rich as made out. The value seems to be in cooperative and multiplayer focused play but require some investment to get decent gear and abilities. I wonder if this will have the Diablo like hook that keeps you pressing on or have most of the content as End Game content?

Either way I don't think any review unless it's done over a long period of time is going to be representative of the experience apart from the main campaign. It's time for reviewers to put my crazy plan of segmented and staggered reviews in place.

Caerith

Papers, Please (Steam) -- MB-A6373E5C8F67A88E - Taken by Caerith
Sweet, a rougelike!

Achievements might actually be able to give you a bit of the structure you're asking for by providing goals that signify your progression in the game(crafting certain level items, defeating bosses, reaching certain areas, building certain things, etc).

I usually cringe at the idea of not playing a game because it doesn't have achievements, but this is one where it might actually prove useful.

I'm with you on this. The structure that achievements provide is really helpful when trying to get a backlog back under control.

Arthea

I had this idea yesterday, so decided to post it for your judgement.
you know how we all have too many games to play and sometimes can't decide what to play. What if we had constant event going STEAMGAF | plays games - insert game title here.

Let's say we choose a game form current bundle (or discounted, that more people can join) nobody or most people haven't played, preferably not a bad one, and play it together let's say for a week, posting impressions and pics in that thread, then move to the next game, then to the next. The point would be not finishing or competing or even playing online together, but simply playing and having reason to do so. Also it could be fun. What do you think?

tm24

They've been in the registry since 2012. KOF'98 was updated a few weeks ago but 2002 is as lifeless as ever.

Apparently there was an article on orochinagi that had SNKP 14-15 lineup and those two along with Metal Slug X had release dates, but now that article is gone so looks like they got had.

EDIT: The dude on orochinagi said the article went up early so expect announcement in the morning?

PriitV

you know how we all have too many games to play and sometimes can't decide what to play. What if we had constant event going STEAMGAF | plays games - insert game title here.

Let's say we choose a game form current bundle (or discounted, that more people can join) nobody or most people haven't played, preferably not a bad one, and play it together let's say for a week, posting impressions and pics in that thread, then move to the next game, then to the next. The point would be not finishing or competing or even playing online together, but simply playing and having reason to do so. Also it could be fun. What do you think?
So.. like a bookclub? I'm in.

Divius

r6WP9At.jpg

srs: Go for it, seems cool!

I've had this idea many many times (like a book club for games, basically) but even though people might say they're interested, I just think participation wouldn't be very high. The idea is great though.

Dr Dogg

Good idea actually. Only together can we trim down our backlogs! Only problem I see with playing games from a current bundle is that some might end up adding to their backlogs instead of whittling it down. Toma's PSN threads last year could serve as inspiration on how to go about things. Or maybe get Toma and the Indie Thread folks on board as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Who was getting pissy about that? I haven't seen any complaints about such a thing.

What he's referring to was weeks ago. There was a brief period where keys given away anonymously had a tendency to be dupes and so a few people were under the impression that a certain user (or users) were knowingly giving away dupe keys anonymously so their giveaway count/s increased sans the risk of being found out and manually blocked from notable giveaways.

Caerith

I'm interested, but, like Dr Dogg said, there is the likelihood of increasing a backlog by grabbing new bundle games. Still, it might be the only way I'd ever play the majority of these bundle RPGs I've collected.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm with you on this. The structure that achievements provide is really helpful when trying to get a backlog back under control.
Well I suppose, but I think most games have pretty straightforward structure. You beat an area/level, and go to the next one. And so on. Achievements tend to be for the completionist sort of players. But I guess it could at least provide a small carrot-on-a-stick for some to keep them going(if the backlog is an issue). This also takes me back to the idea that achievements should be inherent in games in general and that players should be rewarded with something of actual substance in-game(even if its just cosmetic or a bonus cutscene or unlocking a making-of or whatever). I think uPlay has a somewhat interesting system where you can use achievement points as currency to unlock certain in-game features/items. I think this would help even more in encouraging people to get through and strike games off their backlog.

Its sandbox games like this that benefit most because it gives a player an idea of what to do, because a game like Terraria doesn't really hold your hand or tell you what you should be doing. There's an NPC that'll give you hints, but you're mostly left on your own to figure things out and for some, that's not really ideal. Using the achievements as a 'guide' can keep players on-track and progressing in a somewhat intended manner.

I also wouldn't think of Terraria as a game to 'get through'. If its in your backlog, don't play it just to say you've played and beaten it. Its not that sort of game. Its a time investment and one that you're meant to take your time with and enjoy at a leisurely pace. If you're on 'backlog tackling' mode, then play those other, more inherently structured games. That's kinda what I do. I have my long RPG's, sim racers and sandbox games, but if I want to do some work on my backlog, I pick out like a 5-15 hour game and run through that(well, not run, I don't like rushing).

Sendou

Yeah I thought about something like that too. I would be up for that definitely.

Good idea actually. Only together can we trim down our backlogs! Only problem I see with playing games from a current bundle is that some might end up adding to their backlogs instead of whittling it down. Toma's PSN threads last year could serve as inspiration on how to go about things. Or maybe get Toma and the Indie Thread folks on board as well.

Whittling down the backlog shouldn't be the goal of this (it's a weird concept anyway). Just play the same games and talk about them.

Cerity

I'd definitely be in for this. Having people to talk about the game with like on it's release would probably push me to actually finish quite a few games.

Seanspeed

Banned
Whittling down the backlog shouldn't be the goal of this (it's a weird concept anyway). Just play the same games and talk about them.
I'd be interested just to give me motivation to play a game that's in my backlog(if its there, I don't think I'll buy a game just to participate). I don't necessarily finish many of the games I play anyways, but I like to dive into games and at least what they're all about and kinda expand my horizons a bit. This would be a good opportunity to do that. Its fun to be able to talk about a game with a bunch of people that are playing it as well. If you're really late on a game, you might get a response or two about it, but the OT will usually be dead(if it even exists) and that's about it.

Arthea

ya, exactly like a book club, when I think about it. (><)

Anyway, thanks for opinions.
As an event itself increasing backlog, it is increasing anyway, events or no, there is no way around it, but this way we'll play at least some of it, albeit tiny amount.
Most difficult thing would be to keep people active and motivated. I was thinking of possible additional incentives, like maybe game prizes, or dlcs as prizes, for most active people, but I couldn't decide on anything at the end. Do you have any ideas?

Dr Dogg

Well I see it as an initiative that you get out what you put in. For some it might just be an outlet to give them the motivation to clear their backlog, others might be a chance to finally have some high quality discussion about their hobby, others it might be to try out a new game or genre that they weren't aware of. Putting up artificial rules could get in the way of what might make people want to participate. Personally for me it ticks a lot of boxes but if I'm going to be adding to my backlog to join in then I would be sitting out a few games (unless I'm really crazy). Though I'm sure participation wouldn't be massively high anyway and as long as the group is a bunch of sensible adults I'm sure they could all come to an agreement as of what to play for the week at hand so it was suitable for the vast majority if not everyone involved.

Sendou

Most difficult thing would be to keep people active and motivated. I was thinking of possible additional incentives, like maybe game prizes, or dlcs as prizes, for most active people, but I couldn't decide on anything at the end. Do you have any ideas?

The act of playing a game with others is a motivation on its own. At least that's what I think.

Would be cool if there was a tool that could crawl a bunch of people's libraries finding the kind of games that few people have played for a long time.

Apparently there was an article on orochinagi that had SNKP 14-15 lineup and those two along with Metal Slug X had release dates, but now that article is gone so looks like they got had.

EDIT: The dude on orochinagi said the article went up early so expect announcement in the morning?

The schedule (if it's legit) said November for 98 and December for 2002.

Arthea

The act of playing a game with others is a motivation on its own. At least that's what I think.

Would be cool if there was a tool that could crawl a bunch of people's libraries finding the kind of games that few people have played for a long time.

It's actually quite easy, game store page has players activity, I would go with that for starters and then I thought that steamgafer who finished a game we are playing first, gets to pick the next one, only it has to be relatively unknown game and being discounted or in the bundle to keep numbers of players higher as not to discourage anyone by picking 60&#8364; game to play (><)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

SteamWorld Dig -- MB-13C6818429F1A44E - Taken by wetflame
Gunpoint -- MB-16E50553C031D3D7 - Taken by rostocker

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Morning all! What a way to start the day, an anonymous gift of Steamworld Dig via Modbot. Hopefully the rest of my day will be as good. Seeing as the cold I thought I was coming down with yesterday is mysteriously absent today, I think it might just be.

The_Monk

Morning all! What a way to start the day, an anonymous gift of Steamworld Dig via Modbot. Hopefully the rest of my day will be as good. Seeing as the cold I thought I was coming down with yesterday is mysteriously absent today, I think it might just be.

My day started with the most random heavy rain with a very dark morning. Luckily it's up to us to make a shiny day no matter how bad the weather looks. Hope that cold of yours stays away. :)

In another news, I'm having some trouble finishing the last mission in Age of Empires II HD from the Saladin campaign. This is harsh!

Tellaerin

Love the idea! That title's going to make poor JaseC break out in hives, though. ^_-

Chariot

Dead Rising 3 is pretty fun so far (13 hours in, 3 days left, chapter 4 finished ), although sometimes my framerate goes apparently randomly very low (didn't see any pattern when that happens) and I have trouble picking up exactly what I want to pick up. And storywise Nick annoys me. I mean, Jesus, I get that he isn't a soldier, but I now have a killcount of nearly 15,000 zombies and a few humans (soldiers, punks, psychos) and he is still acting all sissy and let people die, because he is hiding cowardly or is stunned by the horror he slashed through for days.

What am I supposed to buy with my GMG credit now? :(

I still have quite a bit of credit left as well and there's really not a lot I want from GMG. Not sure what happened with that site, it's a joke now. Instead of actively getting more games/pubs on board they're losing games left and right.

Ah, thanks. That's certainly a real bummer.

Credit is just kind of pointless for most games now. Most titles get a 25% coupon which takes it down to 45 but since they made it so you can't combine credit with coupons because "Lol, we can't make this service this useful" the credit just kind of sits there.

Melchior

I was going to pre-order Shadow of Mordor and was wondering if there were any deals out there right now or if it would just be fine to order on steam.

Arthea

I was going to pre-order Shadow of Mordor and was wondering if there were any deals out there right now or if it would just be fine to order on steam.

Here is what currently available for SoM

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=middleearthshadowofmordor

you can use this site to track all deals more or less

edited: I just noticed that Nuuvem price is oh so tempting, but I must stay strong, because I'm not so sure it won't be region locked by the time of release.

What am I supposed to buy with my GMG credit now? :(

Wait till the day you will be able to buy all that store has to offer that you still don't have, the time is nearing too.
that's what I do (><)

Melchior

Here is what currently available for SoM

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/info?plain=middleearthshadowofmordor

you can use this site to track all deals more or less

Oh awesome thanks. How is gmg with giving out steam codes? I sometimes order from them but I've never pre-ordered. With that code I could pick it up for 37$
EDIT: I should clarify I'm only worried about the steam code because I would prefer to play it at release. If there was a preload would they deliver the code early for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom