• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Oh awesome thanks. How is gmg with giving out steam codes? I sometimes order from them but I've never pre-ordered. With that code I could pick it up for 37$
EDIT: I should clarify I'm only worried about the steam code because I would prefer to play it at release. If there was a preload would they deliver the code early for that?

gmg sometimes is fashionably late while delivering preoder steam codes, not by much, but if you really need to be first playing it, gmg can prevent you from that.

Flipping hell! That's twice as much as my Amazon preorder. Oh well at least Alpha Centauri is on offer today on GOG.

and let's not forget that it's one of the best Civs. BE still have to live up to it, and $90 for vanilla, isn't a good start to do that!

Tizoc

Finally I can indulge in the greatness that is Wolfgang Krauser on the great Gaben service
rbff2wol-1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apotheon now has a EULA. Hopefully this means it's not far off from releasing.

Edit: Aw, it's for the private beta.

Love the idea! That title's going to make poor JaseC break out in hives, though. ^_-

Playing games gives you cooties!

Melchior

gmg sometimes is fashionably late while delivering preoder steam codes, not by much, but if you really need to be first playing it, gmg can prevent you from that.

Alright. I'll probably order because its a pretty nice deal hopefully gmg will grace me with swiftness. Thanks for the help

Jadax

Ok, so I've been away for the last 6-7 months and I'll soon be able to start playing games more regularly - in the meantime, I've accumulated a few keys to buy those games.

From my wishlist which games should I buy first?

I'm a big strategy and rpg fan. Not into arcade games, get motion sickness from most fps.

Arthea

Apotheon now has a EULA. Hopefully this means it's not far off from releasing.

Edit: Aw, it's for the private beta.

Playing games gives you cooties!

jeez Jasec, that's not even funny
(><)

you can do better then that, like for example playing games takes your valuable time tracking deals and buying games away.

Ah the joys of PC gaming when Simulation and Strategy games used to be the mainstay. Semi-related fun fact I applied to Microprose for work experience when their head office used to be a stones throw up the road from me but that was right about the time they were shedding half the staff and politely told me to go forth and multiply.

At least they wished you well (><)

I feel like I worked for them a big part of my life, as I got on Civ addiction most of my friends and even enemies.

Dr Dogg

and let's not forget that it's one of the best Civs. BE still have to live up to it, and $90 for vanilla, isn't a good start to do that!

Some damn fine gaming right there.

Ah the joys of PC gaming when Simulation and Strategy games used to be the mainstay. Semi-related fun fact I applied to Microprose for work experience when their head office used to be a stones throw up the road from me but that was right about the time they were shedding half the staff and politely told me to go forth and multiply.

Gvaz

Banned
Want to get the extra dlc for Van Helsing? Expect to pay a large fucking premium to Neocoregames.

Not worth it in the slightest.

Gvaz

Banned
Just get the complete from the bundle. oh wait, its not available anymore.
Anyway, I didn't find the DLCs for Van Helsing interesting at all. Two new classes and a new skill tree for your ghost

I'm talking about if you want the preorder dlc.

the content isnt even that good. Like the best one is +50% item find for being a preorderer.

No, I'm not paying $35 for another copy of the game and extra dlc. Fuck that. Edios offered more content for cheaper later on for the preorder items, and later included it in the DC for cheap as a complete bundle if you already owned the older version. Come on.

Yeah, is like:

"Ehy, we don't give a fuck if the game is broken, since we want all the money and the game is selling well despite of issues, we put a region lock on it so we will gain all the money. No mercy, no just cause, only revengeance."

You live in a weird fantasy world man. Region locks are standard these days (and understandable) and how do you know they're not working on fixes?

Reverting to the drivers they mentioned fixed the crash issue as an Nvidia user. Went from being able to play maybe 5 minutes at a time before crashing to crashing once in 11 hours of play.

tioslash

Of course I was joking, but is interesting that they put a region lock AFTER the release and not before.
And yes, probably they are working on a fix, but readings on commnity hub don't help so much, is like Capcom doesn't know what causes those crashes.

They locked from being activated outside it´s region or play-locked it?

Arthea

You live in a weird fantasy world man. Region locks are standard these days (and understandable) and how do you know they're not working on fixes?

no, just no, that's too much.
Region locks are as understandable as triple DRMs, form over substance and Gone Home being a good game.
I don't believe even for a second that region locks are profitable too.

JaseC

All copies that are bought after the lock are region locked. You can still play the game if you have it activated in your account

Actually, the region-locked sub is new, so pre-existing spares are still region-free, but traders have already hiked their prices up to at least 17 keys.

liezryou

Of course I was joking, but is interesting that they put a region lock AFTER the release and not before.
And yes, probably they are working on a fix, but readings on commnity hub don't help so much, is like Capcom doesn't know what causes those crashes.
EDIT: Also I think you didn't catch the quote from TPP trailer :p

I'd venture to guess they were surprised at the % of their sales coming from russia. The russian-key-game trading market is being quite huge.

no, just no, that's too much.
Region locks are as understandable as triple DRMs, form over substance and Gone Home being a good game.
I don't believe even for a second that region locks are profitable too.

I'm not encouraging region locks obviously, and I doubt they have a big effect on profitability as well, but I still can see why big publishers use it on Steam. I'm not talking about region locking games to be not available in certain regions or the "prohibitrunincountries" flag, I'm just talking about regional pricing and trading restrictions.

tioslash

I'd venture to guess they were surprised at the % of their sales coming from russia. The russian-key-game trading market is being quite huge.

It makes me wonder why TW3 still isn´t locked. I mean, at the current prices I would think a huge % of sales are coming from RU traded copies, right?

Nope, I did it, after one day it stopped working.

Probably a separate issue related to your hardware. The most common crashing issue was absolutely related to the most recent driver as it fixed the issue for me and many others. Been playing the game over the past couple days too and it remained crash free outside of one towards the end of the game.

2000+ combo, huzzah!

And I'm surprised that region locks aren't already used by every big publisher. Being able to buy games like Dead Rising 3 for 17 dollars is pretty absurd in comparison to what others are paying. Doubt it's all that common as the average steam user knows nothing but it's still a crazy
and wonderful

JaseC

I don't think the "grey market" is anywhere near as large as some people seem to think it is. Eastern Europe in total accounted for just 7% of Steam's sales revenue throughout 2013, a statistic that is more or less echoed by Shovel Knight's first-month sales data:

liezryou

I don't think the "grey market" is anywhere near as large as some people seem to think it is. Eastern Europe in total accounted for just 7% of Steam's sales revenue throughout 2013, a statistic which is more or less echoed by Shovel Knight's first-month sales data:

I'd like to see this data for a AAA non region locked game and more recent :p.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think the "grey market" is anywhere near as large as some people seem to think it is. Eastern Europe in total accounted for just 7% of Steam's sales revenue throughout 2013, a statistic that is more or less echoed by Shovel Knight's first-month sales data:

from that graph looks like the 'grey' market is basically argieland aka me

i don't buy that many games so what does that say about eastern europe then

JaseC

I'd like to see this data for a AAA non region locked game and more recent :p.

Larian could probably be convinced to divulge such data for Original Sin. It's not a blockbuster title, sure, but despite almost being three months old it's still a stone's throw from the top portion of the Top Sellers list.

Echoplx

I've had this bookmarked for a while, I would recommend avoiding the gameplay altering mod listed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

Personally I'd skip them all and just get an updated renderer, the texture packs just look really out of place, especially HDTP because it's no where near finished.

EDIT: To clarify, these two should cover everything you need to get the game working on modern systems

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm

I think our perceptions here on SteamGAF do get skewed as we're not exactly the average Steam user. It draws a parallel to the "0% of Steam users own Gunpoint" thing from yesterday.

Arthea

I see new Total War game is about to be announced, somehow missed it yesterday. Too many games, too little time.

I think our perceptions here on SteamGAF do get skewed as we're not exactly the average Steam user. It draws a parallel to the "0% of Steam users own Gunpoint" thing from yesterday.

very much this, as we are proven time after time, gaf doesn't represent majority, I think the same is true for steamgaf, obviously.

Total War: Three Kingdoms?

you wish!
me too (><)

Dr Dogg

I see new Total War game is about to be announced, somehow missed it yesterday. Too many games, too little time.

Total War: Three Kingdoms?

Well so far every game has had an initial game and a sequel (Well except Empire but then again that had Napoleon straight after which was massive in its own right) so I wonder what the next setting CA would take on? Well unless they go for Medieval III: Total War
and I'd be alright with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom