• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So, I know Gone Home is pretty divisive, so I wanna hear from people who did and didn't like it.

Considering I got it for dirt cheap, is it worth playing at all? Or should I just put it on my junk account for the card$?

To provide a counter-point to the post above, Gone Home is worth the time if you are interested in a much more personal, down to earth story than you usually see in games. The entire plot is explored through situational awareness of a character's personal space, diary entries or other papers that detail small bits of their life, and an occasional voice over. While the game teases at the idea of something sinister, it is more of a character drama where none of the characters are ever on screen. Which, as Sharkiller's opinion proves, does not work out for everyone.

There are several interwoven plotlines between the various family members and some brilliant use of environmental storytelling to get you thinking about where to look next. It's rewarding in the game sense, but oddly voyeuristic in a way. I don't think a game has made me feel slightly unsettled for peeking through someone's stuff like Gone Home had.

It was one of my favorites last year, and it got high accolades for good reason. Just go into it knowing that this is a very different kind of story you'd usually find in a game. Though, a fun fact relating to people thinking it is a horror game - The original prototype for Gone Home was actually built in Frictional's HPL2 engine, which powered Amnesia.

Corpekata

Banned
If you're the type of twa-erm, person to say things like "So and So isn't a game" it probably won't be your type of game. Otherwise worth a look. Short enough that you'll be able to decide if it's something you're interested in pretty quickly. Personally I'm in the "liked it but glad I didn't spend 20 bucks" on it category.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
No wonder we drift off-topic at times

look what's moderating us

1yqmWMy.gif
Omg. Dying.

oipic

My fastidious and regulatorily-hamstrung workplace has every popular image and video hosting service thoroughly blocked.

It's wonderful to get home and finally see that all of today's Stumpness, which I had visualised in my mind's eye during meetings all afternoon, did not disappoint AT ALL.

Splendid, 11/10 - would be modded by this man again (and again).

Volimar

When it comes to Borderlands DLC, should I wait until after beating the main part of the game to play it, or can I do so whenever? Is it level scaled or are there minimum requirements?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Would you say Assassins Creed is a collectathon?

I think if you just follow the story-missions the game is quite boring, but as a completionist I always spend a lot of time with the AC games and most of the time because of collecting things, doing side-missions, upgrading different things etc.
I wonder if there are people that just finish the story in those Games and then be done with it. I think you can finish every AC game in 5-6 hours then.

Same with the Arkham Games. Do each main-missions and you are finished pretty quickly.
No, I only did story missions and the tombs in AC2 and it still took me 22 hours or so. I would have loved the game if my playthrough had lasted 6 hours. There's even a forced collectathon neae the end, which ensured my memories of the game would be forever negative (they already were by that time, mind you).

When it comes to Borderlands DLC, should I wait until after beating the main part of the game to play it, or can I do so whenever? Is it level scaled or are there minimum requirements?

Borderlands 1 or 2? I can't answer for 1, but Tiny Tina's and Hammerlock's DLCs in 2 contain story related spoilers I believe, I don't think Scarlett and Torgue's do.

Ronik

In BL1, they only scale upwards from like level 30, if I remember correctly. And story-wise, all of them take place after the base game.

No, I only did story missions and the tombs in AC2 and it still took me 22 hours or so. I would have loved the game if my playthrough had lasted 6 hours. There's even a forced collectathon neae the end, which ensured my memories of the game would be forever negative (they already were by that time, mind you).

Oh. Really?
I am just thinking how long Black Flag would take if you just do the story missions without anything else.

Prison Architect is.. complex.

It is, but it's awesome once you learn the ropes, my prison is running like a well oiled machine with about 250 prisoners and close to $500k in reserve cash, but only after about 15-20 failed prisons, it's super addictive, kinda like Civ games were you just want to keep on playing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anybody here want to split the Commander Edition of Line of Defense? It should come with the game itself, Galactic Command Echo Squad SE, Angle of Attack and All Aspect Warfare (the gift subs have "AppIDOwnedRequired", but the main sub includes the games, so theoretically that should count and so I should be awarded the spares), however I'll lower the price accordingly if I'm wrong.

Edit: Duh, forgot the price. $10.70, assuming for the moment that I'm not wrong about the gift subs.

Edit edit: Never mind.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. Really?
I am just thinking how long Black Flag would take if you just do the story missions without anything else.
Yep, I don't recall doing many side missions, if any. Nor did I spent much looking for collectibles. If I hadn't done the tombs and such, I may have trimmed 2 or 3 hours at most, but not more than that. So even for someone who just wanted to get it over with, the game was extremely long.

Dr Dogg

Well bizarely it supossedly fixes my only issue.

Patch Notes said:
Without further ado, the first patch rolling out today will address the following issues:
Fixed an issue which caused game progress to not save or load correctly when Steam Cloud is enabled.
Fixed an issue which made it impossible to select native resolutions on some video card / monitor setups.
Fixed an issue which was causing the game to not shut down properly.

Not that having the game crash upon exit was really that bothersome. Fingers crossed they sort out some of the other crashing issues others are having.

I discovered big picture mode for the first time today, i accidentally hit the guide button on my Xbox controller and was warped to the BPM portal. I thought i broke something at first, but i was impressed with how it looked.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Right when the MGS collection is on (a good) sale on the PSN, Kojima drops a new one that may be coming to PC?

I'll take my chances, waiting for it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bodyboarder:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bodyboarder, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PixelJunk Eden -- MB-39286AD701A71C6C - Taken by danhese007. 3 entrants total.
Legend of Grimlock -- MB-39A006AAF6DBFF91 - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-7FA2576EDEEAC0B8 - Taken by prudislav. 2 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-F6A3C615C12D1465

t1410443822z1.png

Arthea

new deals on gog's birthday sale, btw

I may have a
JaseC-like
problem - pretty much everything is grayed out for me (or too expensive, even with a discount).

lol same, then again, I stuck with gog before moving to steam, so it's understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom