• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this weekly kalypso bundle looks really uninteresting to me. its like the same game repackaged 8 different ways. i dont even want to spend a dollar on it lol

What's the general consensus on Remember Me?

At that price it's tempting, and the screenshots look amazing: is gameplay any good?
Remember Me is kinda forgettable.

Gameplay really isn't that great, it's got some interesting ideas like a build your own combo lab, but the combat just doesn't feel good overall, it's the freeflowing combat from Arkham Asylum but less free-flow-y, if that makes sense.
And there are also enemies that require you to use a super special awesome attack to destroy them, but those attacks have cool downs of like 30s and the game likes to throw multiple enemies at you that require the same super special awesome attack, so it can get pretty dull unless you enjoy cartwheeling away from enemies for extended periods of time.

wagamer

As I understand it, you have the best version, and there is no reason for you to get any other.

Renaissance and Resurrection were made first, but were very poorly received for a variety of reasons. Reincarnation is an updated version of both that corrects most of the major complaints players had about the originals.

Thanks, sounds logical since Reincarnation seems to be the most expensive one.

Damn this Capcom sale, I own so many of these on consoles but kinda want them on pc too. RE4 is one I really want and don't have, but I think I'm waiting for a winter sale and possible -75% drop.

tmarg

this weekly kalypso bundle looks really uninteresting to me. its like the same game repackaged 8 different ways. i dont even want to spend a dollar on it lol

I doubt they really wanted to put their best weekly material up against HB 12, they'd just cannibalize sales from themselves. 12 is probably good enough to tide most people over for a while. I also bought the current mobile bundle, I've wanted to play the new Kingdom Rush for a while, and the all DLC included Humble version is a really good deal.

What's the general consensus on Remember Me?

At that price it's tempting, and the screenshots look amazing: is gameplay any good?

I want to return to it at some point as the art direction and setting are so striking but the combat is really bad. It doesn't have any kind of traditional combo system, you basically make your own by creating various combinations of moves. Ie, you hit x twice and then end with y to recover health. The big problem with this is that different types of moves have different speeds. Makes the combat feel really slow, clunky and just terrible to play. Writing isn't abysmal but it's not great either and certainly not enough to keep you interested in spite of the combat. There are some more puzzle like elements where you basically alter the memories of various characters that are the most intriguing moments in the game but they seem quite rare. Also pretty interesting narratively as what you're doing has some really nasty moral implications that the game is fully aware of. Those moments just feel out of touch with the rest of the game.

You might enjoy it more, I just found the combat so tedious that it made it hard to finish. Top-notch art direction though and even graphically it has some impressive moments. Would have never expected such a visually interesting game from a new studio like that.
228300_2013-06-05_000nus4y.png

maty

Sogood.gif

2nd attempt at getting ending A and got there with only 4 deaths, all in the last level.

I'll add my voice to those who said this game is great. Had a really good time. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to finish, it took me hours to finish the 1st levels. Now I beat the whole game in 1 hour. Just a little practice and learning patterns.

Also the music is awesome.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
How do you like my new avatar, fellow SteamGAF people? It's a stupid old photo, but I kinda like it, also use it on Twitter etc. Lord Zetta was getting a little old.

I associate people with their avatars, so its throwing me off a bit. Otherwise, it's actually pretty nice.

If I hadn't just played Fable a couple years ago I would probably pick up the remaster.

To be frank, that is a game you want to play only once per decade.

Fable is a series wherein once in a blue moon I get an urge to play one of them, then I immediately remember that there are better RPG's available and play those instead.

Fable is a series wherein once a blue moon I get an urge to play one of them, then I immediately remember that there are better RPG's available and play them instead.

I don't think there's any game that has comparable social elements that set Fable apart. It's never been a very complicated, stat heavy rpg series. I play Fable to marry 5 different men and women in different cities and sacrifice them to a blood god so I can grow horns and use terrify emotes on towns people :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
here you go, friends, enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (davepoobond, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Papers Please -- MB-7D6232182B2CF7C6 - Taken by rostocker. 12 entrants total.
Gone Home -- MB-7511BFC5F1F5274E - Taken by xeris. 6 entrants total.

t1410511024z1.png

both are humble bundle

Papers Please is more of a challenging fun, attention to detail required.

Gone Home, have not played. Soundtrack comes with this one, apparently.

Redrum_82

Remember Me is kinda forgettable.

Gameplay really isn't that great, it's got some interesting ideas like a build your own combo lab, but the combat just doesn't feel good overall, it's the freeflowing combat from Arkham Asylum but less free-flow-y, if that makes sense.
And there are also enemies that require you to use a super special awesome attack to destroy them, but those attacks have cool downs of like 30s and the game likes to throw multiple enemies at you that require the same super special awesome attack, so it can get pretty dull unless you enjoy cartwheeling away from enemies for extended periods of time.

I want to return to it at some point as the art direction and setting are so striking but the combat is really bad. It doesn't have any kind of traditional combo system, you basically make your own by creating various combinations of moves. Ie, you hit x twice and then end with y to recover health. The big problem with this is that different types of moves have different speeds. Makes the combat feel really slow, clunky and just terrible to play. Writing isn't abysmal but it's not great either and certainly not enough to keep you interested in spite of the combat. There are some more puzzle like elements where you basically alter the memories of various characters that are the most intriguing moments in the game but they seem quite rare. Also pretty interesting narratively as what you're doing has some really nasty moral implications that the game is fully aware of. Those moments just feel out of touch with the rest of the game.

You might enjoy it more, I just found the combat so tedious that it made it hard to finish. Top-notch art direction though and even graphically it has some impressive moments. Would have never expected such a visually interesting game from a new studio like that.

Thanks.
Bad combat was what I was afraid of. I guess I'll skip it.

rickyson1

this made me laugh a bit having recently waited 4 months or so myself

8ED4C1B17D4459DFEF1BE078AA6376963FBB8F3C

Cook, Serve, Delicious! is a great game,randomly started playing it on a whim and only pulled myself away from it now 4 hours later because its like 2 am and I really need to get some sleep

Caerith

Courtesy of a console warrior in the PC thread.

We are all a bunch of shits.
We're not all shits, just whichever PC user held a gun to his head and forced him to read the PC thread then post about it.

8ED4C1B17D4459DFEF1BE078AA6376963FBB8F3C

Cook, Serve, Delicious! is a great game,randomly started playing it on a whim and only pulled myself away from it now 4 hours later because its like 2 am and I really need to get some sleep
Cook, Serve, Delicious is one of the best games ever.

I never thought that it could take that long to get activated. o_O Mine took only a few days.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! is pretty awesome. I've taken a break from it before I could get too addicted, lol.

My inventory is set to Friends only but I keep getting random level 0 friend invites on Steam today. What gives?

Are you selling anything on the market? They probably find your profile from there and add you.

Backlogger

My inventory is set to Friends only but I keep getting random level 0 friend invites on Steam today. What gives?

Are you selling anything on the market?

Yes... I have been pretty active on the market lately (thanks to Jshackles)

Also, been wanting Remember Me at a good price, which $5 is enough for me to bite. The Capcom Action Pack seems like a good deal too though which includes RM

Recommendations?

Miguel81

Would you guys say GTA IV Complete Edition is worth $3 even though it has filthy drm-infestation?

It's just so cheap on Nuuvem right now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Some of the bios in Prison Architect are too real.

d8kIsNg.png

Thanks to toddhunter, I'm in the game somewhere, haha. I ought to play it one day and try to find myself. ;) I have a bio slot of my own that I still haven't gotten around to using up, come to think of it.

Backlogger

Would you guys say GTA IV Complete Edition is worth $3 even though it has filthy drm-infestation?

It's just so cheap on Nuuvem right now.

My decision making when deciding to buy a cheap game usually goes something like this:

• Does it increase my Steam game count?

If the answer to any of the above questions is "No" then I don't buy it otherwise I do.

Thanks for the review. If it doesn't want to make me throw my keyboard or gamepad through the screen I might run with this. I could use a short game right now

Miguel81

Absolutely, it's an awesome game with superb DLC. It's a nobrainer really.

This and Dark Souls will be my only multi-drm game on Steam. I'll keep hopes up for a future clean-up, but it likely won't happen.

My decision making when deciding to buy a cheap game usually goes something like this:

• Does it increase my Steam game count?

If the answer to any of the above questions is "No" then I don't buy it otherwise I do.

Backlogger fits you like a glove, then. Heh.

Miguel81

All these sales just come in a huge barrage, man. There's the humble bundle, Fear collection from bundle stars, Gog has a bunch of classics on sale, Steam has the Capcom pack, Gamersgate is sending out 20% off coupons + having sales, and Nuuvem has the whole of GTA on sale. Oh, and GMG has Typing of the Dead + packs.

Tellaerin

How do you like my new avatar, fellow SteamGAF people? It's a stupid old photo, but I kinda like it, also use it on Twitter etc. Lord Zetta was getting a little old.

I think it's a neat pic, myself. Going to take a little getting used to, but I ought to be able to adjust. ; )

Added to my collection of games.

Some of those look pretty awful.

Some of them look hilarious.

Some actually look kind of interesting.

Vibranium

Banned
Man stop linking to those garbage posts here.

RE6 is a competent tps especially if you compare it to what we got last gen and what people praise as being the best games ever. The problem is the uneven campaign and some other bad design decisions and a dumb story, but the story has always been pretty dumb but more subtle in the past.

I find it more fun than RE5, Binary Domain, etc and it has enough content and fun sections especially playing on coop, it also controls better than both of those games.

REmake had a decent story (aside from characters splitting up), it was Code Veronica that really messed up shit by revealing Wesker was alive and a powered-up supervillain. He should have died in the first game and stayed as a guy interested in the money.

Also, the Outbreak games were everything RE should be. You got to explore more of Raccoon City as civilians and fought an infected Lion in a creepy Zoo area. I wish The Last of Us had enemy infected animals....

aku:jiki

since you're the resident roguelike expert, how do you feel about Papers, Please being referred to as a roguelike?
I recognize that it's a joke designed to drive people like me crazy, so I don't let it!

It did bother me a little bit when a coworker of mine called it a roguelike because he truly believed it to be one...

Ozium

Just noticed Castle of Illusion is 3.74 on GMG and I've still got credit to burn.. is it worth it? I have vague memories of the Genesis/MD game being fun nvm, bought it :)

I recognize that it's a joke designed to drive people like me crazy, so I don't let it!

It did bother me a little bit when a coworker of mine called it a roguelike because he truly believed it to be one...

but it has the rogue-like tag on Steam, and tags don't lie!

Miguel81

Just noticed Castle of Illusion is 3.74 on GMG and I've still got credit to burn.. is it worth it? I have vague memories of the Genesis/MD game being fun

but it has the rogue-like tag on Steam, and tags don't lie!

Castle of Illusion is a charming little 2.5D platformer. Very easy in comparison to the original Mega Drive version(on Hard mode, that is). For that amount of change, it's very much worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom