• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

So hey SteamGAF, it's been a while. Over the last 2 months I quit my job of 10 years, sold our house and bought a new house 10 miles away. It's been pretty crazy and I haven't had much time to check out this thread..

Merely deciding to move on from such a long-term job is a big leap to make, and following through with it is daunting! I haven't yet found the courage to leave my comfort zone and move on, so I have much admiration and respect for those that do so successfully.

Selling and buying a home is undoubtedly one of the most stressful things humans put themselves through, too, so congrats on coming out the other side of what must've been an unsettling (if exciting) time, Dupy. :)

Jadax

So hey SteamGAF, it's been a while. Over the last 2 months I quit my job of 10 years, sold our house and bought a new house 10 miles away. It's been pretty crazy and I haven't had much time to check out this thread.

Grats (I guess?). Can't decide if I'm angry or happy for you. I'm finding it tough to even land my 1st job after graduation and you went and quit your job!

well, this is awkward.

don't worry, you'll be able to get a group. it's just the single player AI is shit, and who know if randoms can be counted on. but thats a general thing

it ain't awkward at all! I just got a free game. I'm definitely going to enjoy it now :)

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Merely deciding to move on from such a long-term job is a big leap to make, and following through with it is daunting! I haven't yet found the courage to leave my comfort zone and move on, so I have much admiration and respect for those that do so successfully.

Selling and buying a home is undoubtedly one of the most stressful things humans put themselves through, too, so congrats on coming out the other side of what must've been an unsettling (if exciting) time, Dupy. :)

Grats (I guess?). Can't decide if I'm angry or happy for you. I'm finding it tough to even land my 1st job after graduation and you went and quit your job!

Yeah I know what you guys are saying. It was time though, 10 years was a long time at one place. I'm a bit unnerved about the future but I have faith I'll land on my feet.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So hey SteamGAF, it's been a while. Over the last 2 months I quit my job of 10 years, sold our house and bought a new house 10 miles away. It's been pretty crazy and I haven't had much time to check out this thread.

But now that things are calming down and I'm bored alone this weekend I figure I'd do a few giveaways. I'll set some up now.

Having also just moved over the last 7 days I feel for you. Fortunately I was able to find some additional work so I was able to keep my current job and didn't have to move too far away.

nice giveaways btw =)

Shadownet

Banned

I started working at 17. It is a bit hard to find a job when you graduated and don't have much to fill out on your resume. Unless you have connection, retail or the restaurant would be your best bet. Now IMO, I would stay away from being a server though. You work hard and depends too much on tips.

Also I would not work in the mall unless the pay is good. I learned that the hard way. I just lost my job as well. So good luck in finding your first man. :)

maty

Haters be damned, I really liked DmC!

Capcom Action Pack Giveaway

Great giveaway as always, not entering since I have 2 of the 3 games already. Good luck to everyone else.

On another subject, are all Capcom's games region locked now? :/

They are already too expensive even with these discounts, now I'm not buying until they hit $5.

i'm not ready for the job market...nearly 21 and still no experience. how boned am i?
Less boned than me. I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping for some internships or something similar so I can actually work.

My first couple years out of high school I *couldn't* work, and then after that ended I was really screwed.

iosefe

^this is thrilling stuff

job hunt is hell...

*EDIT* two pages in a row? golly gosh gee whiz! time for the good ol' SpeedRunners plug

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
i'm not ready for the job market...nearly 21 and still no experience. how boned am i?

I got my first job almost 18 years ago, and I've
basically*
been working in the same industry ever since. I recently tried to break into a different (though very much related) industry and couldn't find anything that would pay enough to keep the lights on.

It's a tough world out there. The best advice I can give young people these days is "Do what you love. The money may not follow, but at least your life can be an adventure." I can only hope that things get easier for everyone soon.

* I worked on an assembly line in a manufacturing plant for about 9 months until a job opened up there in my field which I was able to get

Dupy

I found the first one really cute.

Costume Quest 2 Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Costume Quest 2 -- MB-439EC98D08117893 - Taken by Knurek. 31 entrants total.

t1410588248z1.png

Jadax

I started working at 17. It is a bit hard to find a job when you graduated and don't have much to fill out on your resume. Unless you have connection, retail or the restaurant would be your best bet. Now IMO, I would stay away from being a server though. You work hard and depends too much on tips.

Also I would not work in the mall unless the pay is good. I learned that the hard way. I just lost my job as well. So good luck in finding your first man. :)

I know it's tough for everyone right now - just sometimes it gets so annoying that after spending all this money and 3 years to get a degree I can't find a job in a market that supposedly has a lot of vacancies.

I don't know...since graduation been job searching, and now considering doing a masters, but that just means a bigger loan, more time spent on studies, and once again I'll have to go through the job process again.

meh

I like that avatar change! btw, I heard from dot that you're pretty handy when it come to drawing? :) I might have to ask you for some help Winter.

Thanks! Saw it just in time before my next change, lol.

If you don't mind wobbly drawings with mouse in MSPaint, then feel free to ask. :)

It's a tough world out there. The best advice I can give young people these days is "Do what you love. The money may not follow, but at least your life can be an adventure." I can only hope that things get easier soon.

Good advice. I'd also add that even if you are out of work, make sure to use that time as best you can. You might not be working like you want to be, but you can still be getting fit, writing that novel, playing that game you always wanted to finish or whatever else.

It isn't just time until you get a job, it is the best time you can make it.

I know it's tough for everyone right now - just sometimes it gets so annoying that after spending all this money and 3 years to get a degree I can't find a job in a market that supposedly has a lot of vacancies.

I don't know...since graduation been job searching, and now considering doing a masters, but that just means a bigger loan, more time spent on studies, and once again I'll have to go through the job process again.

meh

College degree doesn't meet $%^& any more. It's all about experience experience experience. How do you get experience if nobody wants to hire you?

Dupy

Throwing this out there too. I got a few coupons from some friendly GAFers.

Hotline Miami Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hotline Miami -- MB-D737BF5C53A9D700 - Taken by lucebuce12. 2 entrants total.

t1410588728z1.png

dani_dc

what exactly IS costume Quest?
A pretty vanilla RPG with some really nice writing,
Think of it as a "my first RPG" in terms of gameplay with a nostalgic "child view" of the world. Fine for both kids and older people for those reasons.

Thought personally I didn't find it that great due to the very basic battle system.

maty

But now that things are calming down and I'm bored alone this weekend I figure I'd do a few giveaways. I'll set some up now.

Congrats on the new house and making a big decision like quitting your job of 10 years.

I'm a bit there myself, I've been working in the same place for the last 8 years and sometimes I want to quit and do something new but the situation is not that good in my line of work here. Plus I'm getting a loan to buy my 1st house so I can't quit for the moment.

Dupy

A pretty vanilla RPG with some really nice writing,
Think of it as a "my first RPG" in termd of gameplay with a nostalgic "child view" of the world. Fine for both kids and older people for those reasons.

Thought personally I didn't find it that great due to the very basic battle system.

I just really like the Halloween theme. It's a rare holiday to see in games. It's one of the reasons I loved Bully so much (among other reasons.)

jshackles

alright, i get it. i'm uncultured swine.

watched the video on the steam page, liked what i saw.

It's a pretty fun little RPG-lite game that doesn't take itself too seriously. Double Fine's humor fits in perfectly with the Halloween season, IMO. I can't wait for part 2.

EDIT: Knurek is such a lucky bastard :p

Dupy

Congrats on the new house and making a big decision like quitting your job for 10 years.

I'm a bit there myself, I've been working in the same place for the last 8 years and sometimes I want to quit and do something new but the situation is not that good in my line of work here. Plus I'm getting a loan to buy my 1st house so I can't quit for the moment.

Good luck! Buying a house (and selling for that matter) is a daunting task but if you have a good realtor to lead you through the process you'll be fine. We've had two fantastic realtors that became friends afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom