• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Man fuck quoting on the phone, too much scrolling.

I'm having more luck with dmc's performance than remember me at higher res, both games run good but remember me stutters when running through the level, could be just me running out of vram or something, but I choose to blame u3e

Check you haven't got SSAA enabled otherwise if you're downsampling you're running it at super-super high res. I was good for 3200x1800 on a single 780 with 2xSSAA and 60-80fps right until the last level where what ever reflection technique they used pulled me down to 40fps. Disabling SSAA for that scene brought me to 80ish so it's linear.

What makes me chuckle is the love the DmC and Remember Me ports get. Sure they run great but they're forward rendered DX9 titles on a mature Unreal Engine 3 base, odds on they're going to run well. It's usually only when UE3 is heavily modified, had some killer effects or Physx going on or uses a DX11 renderer that performance costs go through the roof. One site was holding DmC up to Crysis 3 in regards to port quality.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dam i love your new avatar

i love how you always pick slightly imperfect pictures (some of which i disagree with heh)

Yeah, the vast majority of my avatars are from public appearances rather than professional photoshoots. That's not to say all of her photoshoots are offensively overdone in the touch-up department, though; I like the New York Times one, for example (the interview itself is also nice), but I don't think there's been a single time where I've thought to myself, "She looks better here."

They just locked it all? Crap..

Not everything. The new packs are region-locked, as are DR2's Complete Pack and DR2: Off the Record, but everything else is region-free.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Knurek, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol -- MB-16939D962CF7A800 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sid Meier's Civilization 5 -- MB-465DD900AD68418D - Taken by ReduxMachine. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sid Meier's Civilization 5: Gods and Kings DLC -- MB-89670E87E0E41512 - Taken by Elija2. 11 entrants total.
Shank 2 -- MB-3D154886E8279612 - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.

t1410595928z1.png

Anteater

Check you haven't got SSAA enabled otherwise if you're downsampling you're running it at super-super high res. I was good for 3200x1800 on a single 780 with 2xSSAA and 60-80fps right until the last level where what ever reflection technique they used pulled me down to 40fps. Disabling SSAA for that scene brought me to 80ish so it's linear.

What makes me chuckle is the love the DmC and Remember Me ports get. Sure they run great but they're forward rendered DX9 titles on a mature Unreal Engine 3 base, odds on they're going to run well. It's usually only when UE3 is heavily modified, had some killer effects or Physx going on or uses a DX11 renderer that performance costs go through the roof. One site was holding DmC up to Crysis 3 in regards to port quality.

hmm i think it's off, it's just some stuttering with streaming or something, otherwise the framerate is pretty high.

The physical changes in Fable as you level up are still really neat. If you play as an extreme evil character the differences are much more pronounced but leveling up actually increasing the size of your muscles for example is nice attention to detail. Plus you age in real(very sped up) time so as the hours pass you start to get wrinkles, go gray, etc.

How my character started out
How he looks 10 hours later after a "few" bad decisions.

Still think Fable holds up pretty well in terms of fun factor, the graphical updates aren't always top notch but actually going to youtube and comparing to the Last Chapters made me think otherwise. Crazy how your memories can be so deceiving :p Game certainly grabbed me though, have now been up 29 hours and playing half the day.

Dr Dogg

hmm i think it's off, it's just some stuttering with streaming or something, otherwise the framerate is pretty high.

Yeah I got big drops on loading into a new area (lift transitions and the such like) but that's UE3 for you. It's always been a bit wonky how much can be loaded at one time and how it streams data. The slow walk with the finger in the ear that Marcus in Gears and Batman in Arkham Asylum did was to keep you from running to far into a level that hadn't loaded yet. Other games make the sections smaller or use cutscenes (in engine or prerendered) to mask it (you could really out run things in Arkham City if you grapnel boosted too fast) but Remember Me would just shutdown somewhat while transitioning to a new area. Still it was infrequent enough not to get in the way for me.

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone played gods will be watching's easy mode yet? i feel like giving it a shot

after so much tits i'm in the mood for short games

Her personality and the roles she takes are what makes her so attractive.
i dunno i keep circling around her movies for some reason

tho i haven't been watching many western movies lately in general

JaseC

UE3 sucking at streaming data on-the-fly has me concerned about Ethan Carter since it's open-world.

UE3 sucking at streaming data on-the-fly has me concerned about Ethan Carter since it's open-world.
Is it causing issues in Fable? And honestly these days I don't expect much more than a slight stutter here and there while loading. Although I prefer the older versions' tendency to load in lower quality textures and go from there, at least over the varying degrees of stuttering.

zkylon

zkylewd
Argentine films are quite good, I must say. At least the ones that make it on the international circuit.
which ones are u thinking of

i did my whole obsessing over argie films a while ago and haven't kept up with the latest stuff, specially after my film class closed down :(

my faves prolly "garage olimpo". pretty disturbing one but i really like it, i should watch it again one of these days. it's pretty messed up but hey dat's me

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
which ones are u thinking of

i did my whole obsessing over argie films a while ago and haven't kept up with the latest stuff, specially after my film class closed down :(

my faves prolly "garage olimpo". pretty disturbing one but i really like it, i should watch it again one of these days
El Aura, cautivo, el secretro de sus ojos, todos temonos un plan.

Mostly indie fare that I can get in the US.
I'm a native Spanish speaker( both Latin and castellano dialects), so it's easy for me.

Dr Dogg

Yeah the open world aspect is a slight concern, especially as the devs said you can chose where you want to go. But more so the draw distance shown in the walkthrough video is huge. I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Helmholtz

I just finished Gone Home, I don't understand all the praise.
I'm with you. I don't feel like anything in it was particularly praise worthy, aside from maybe the environmental storytelling.
I'm usually willing to give story driven games a chance. But I can't really enjoy them if I don't find the story particularly interesting. The fact that there isn't really much in the way of gameplay is one thing; when there isn't much going on in the story department either, outside of a
pretty generic teen angst story
, then there's a problem. I think games like walking dead season 1 did the story focused thing a whole lot better, personally.

Enjoy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection -- MB-074685CE05D57E21 - Taken by Jadax. 1 entrants total.
Explodemon -- MB-11C8B706B8292E07 - Taken by mannerbot. 1 entrants total.
Deponia -- MB-2913C506415E5CA5 - Taken by FauX. 3 entrants total.

t1410595328z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
El Aura, cautivo, el secretro de sus ojos, todos temonos un plan.

Mostly indie fare that I can get in the US.
I'm a native Spanish speaker( both Latin and castellano dialects), so it's easy for me.
cool, i really liked el aura too. el secreto de sus ojos i liked too and i'm generally pleased with it but i don't think it was so amazing. the other two i haven't watched yet

did u watch "the last elvis"? that one's really really good and i bet it's available in the us (unlike garage olimpo or like tiempo de revancha or like xxy or something)

like most argies aren't big fans of argie acting cos it's too theatrical but i felt like the last elvis was super duper good, the kind i can feel like recommending to non-argies.

I'm with you. I don't feel like anything in it was particularly praise worthy, aside from maybe the environmental storytelling.
I'm usually willing to give story driven games a chance. But I can't really enjoy them if I don't find the story particularly interesting. The fact that there isn't really much in the way of gameplay is one thing; when there isn't much going on in the story department either, outside of a pretty generic teen angst story, then there's a problem. I think games like walking dead season 1 did the story focused thing a whole lot better, personally.
2 things

1) i don't think the walking dead comparison is really ok as they're very different topics/themes and also gameplay approaches.
2) i dunno if i'd say generic, like a lot of problems we see in serious movies and books and whatnot are "generic" in that they're not "uncommon" but that doesn't mean they're not interesting, specially if they're super new in the medium they're being told. like there aren't many games about a teenage girl learning about her sexuality.

now you're free not to appreciate the game's story and think the walking dead is better and say the game's bad and your opinion is as valid as mine but i don't think the analysis in your post is exactly fair.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm usually willing to give story driven games a chance. But I can't really enjoy them if I don't find the story particularly interesting. The fact that there isn't really much in the way of gameplay is one thing; when there isn't much going on in the story department either, outside of a pretty generic teen angst story, then there's a problem. I think games like walking dead season 1 did the story focused thing a whole lot better, personally.

There were
at least 3 different stories (mother, father/father's past, teen story) going on at the same time, the game only really dresses up the teen story as the focus. There's more going on than that.
I also don't find Walking Dead and Gone Home to be a fair comparison - Walking Dead exists to throw you into painfully difficult choices with limited time. Gone Home is you simply coming in on the aftermath of a lot of things that had piled up over time and you had to unravel where everyone went.

JaseC

Is it causing issues in Fable? And honestly these days I don't expect much more than a slight stutter here and there while loading. Although I prefer the older versions' tendency to load in lower quality textures and go from there, at least over the varying degrees of stuttering.

Not sure, haven't played it myself.

zkylon

zkylewd
There were at least 3 different stories (mother, father/father's past, teen story) going on at the same time, the game only really dresses up the teen story as the focus. There's more going on than that. I also don't find Walking Dead and Gone Home to be a fair comparison - Walking Dead exists to throw you into painfully difficult choices with limited time. Gone Home is you simply coming in on the aftermath of a lot of things that had piled up over time and you had to unravel where everyone went.
cheese how come we're not steam friends :I

edit: oh wait we are lol u ppl and your different names

Helmholtz

2 things

1) i don't think the walking dead comparison is really ok as they're very different topics/themes and also gameplay approaches.
2) i dunno if i'd say generic, like a lot of problems we see in serious movies and books and whatnot are "generic" in that they're not "uncommon" but that doesn't mean they're not interesting, specially if they're super new in the medium they're being told. like there aren't many games about a teenage girl learning about her sexuality.

now you're free not to appreciate the game's story and think the walking dead is better and say the game's bad and your opinion is as valid as mine but i don't think the analysis in your post is exactly fair.
Okay, maybe I picked a bad game to compare it to. It's just one of the only more 'story focused' games I've completed. And one whose story actually appealed to me emotionally and captured my interest, and I'd like to think that it isn't only because of its 'player choice' mechanics. I think the base story there was something very well done. But I haven't played Dear Esther for example, which GH gets compared to a lot.
Anyway, my issue with the story is that it feels like something I'd find in the teen fiction section of a book store. Or a movie starring teens about teen problems.
Basically something I'd never consider reading or watching because it doesn't appeal to me at all. Which is probably why I didn't end up caring for the game.
There were at least
3 different stories (mother, father/father's past, teen story) going on at the same time, the game only really dresses up the teen story as the focus.
There's more going on than that.
Yeah, I played the game, I'm aware of all the minor story threads :p. I personally didn't find any of those storylines to be any more interesting than a 'oh - okay, why am I supposed to care again?' reaction. But again, I think the environmental storytelling aspect, that is, the discovering evidence and clues that uncover different stories, is the closest the game ever came to achieving something truly unique and worthwhile. It's just that all the crap around that failed to impress me.
I was just putting it out there that the game failed to do anything for me, and I didn't find it particularly innovative. I think it strived to be something unique and great, but was more of a failed experiment than a triumph.

Anyway, big post, but I wanted to add as a side note: The Swapper is freaking awesome and anyone remotely interested in puzzle/platformer/scifi games owes it to themselves to check it out!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
yeah my tag for you was "loves hate plus" and you're now "cheese - loves hate plus"

perfect!

and the fact that you don't like the walking dead... are you my soulmate or what

Oh I do like The Walking Dead, Season 1 at least as I have yet to touch Season 2. I just felt like it was a poor game for direct comparison to Gone Home, due to the vast differences in what they aimed to do. NingenJanai's example of To The Moon, I feel, is much closer and could be argued is "better" than Gone Home in some ways.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I'm steam friends with Ningen yet.

Arthea

oh gone home talk again, my favourite!
You need to play it if you feel strong urge to be properly bored, plunged in the depths of it, trust me on this, you'll enjoy Xenoblade after it, all 100 hours of it
*runs away*

Helmholtz

I plan to play it once I pick up the bundle...
I don't feel that I really spoiled anything in particular, but I'll put tags on my post just in case.
Oh I do like The Walking Dead, Season 1 at least as I have yet to touch Season 2. I just felt like it was a poor game for direct comparison to Gone Home, due to the vast differences in what they aimed to do. NingenJanai's example of To The Moon, I feel, is much closer and could be argued is "better" than Gone Home in some ways.
Yeah I've yet to touch S2 as well. I've heard so many bad things about it that I'm kind of hesitant..
But I won To the Moon in a previous give away and I think I'll give that a look soon. Story driven games definitely appeal to me a lot. I just prefer it when the story itself is something I find interesting.
You need to play it if you feel strong urge to be properly bored, plunged in the depths of it, trust me on this, you'll enjoy Xenoblade after it, all 100 hours of it
*runs away*
I wasn't bored with it. It was only like 2 hours or whatever anyway. I just didn't feel like I'd experienced something particularly interesting or praiseworthy. Maybe my expectations were too high going in.

Does SweetFX not show up in screenshots of some games? I took some screenshots of Fable Anniversary with SweetFX enabled and all the screens show up with out it.

Was going through my achievements on the 360 and apparently I beat Fable 3 without ever getting knocked out. Go me! Also impregnated a friend, Fable 3 had some good things!

zkylon

zkylewd

Now that I think about it, I don't think I'm steam friends with Ningen yet.

ok fuck you i don't love you anymore

*runs away*
-_-

JaseC

Is Fable 3 still available anywhere? Fable Anniversary is actually making me want to replay it. Got the itch now!

The Steam version in particular? This guy is selling the game + DLC sub for 18 keys and assuming you were to buy them through Sub Zero, you'd be looking at $34.20. If you'd prefer to save a few bucks and settle for the base game, this guy is selling it for 14 ($26.60).

Arthea

IndieRoyale... why would they do this? They previous layout, design and style was like 120% better. It's sorta even funny how bad it looks now

edited: lemme me be first to tell you this, people have horrible taste, for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom