• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

True story: I disliked Hard Reset so much that I haven't even thought about getting Shadow Warrior.
It's a "classic" shooter that fails at everything classic shooters excelled at, in my book.

You didn't like Hard Reset, either? Oof. Looks like we've got some very different tastes in games, you and I.

rtcn63

Dark Souls has a combat system that's worth learning, because it genuinely feels fun. That's one of the main draw for the series, isn't it? The Witcher's combat wasn't fun to me at all, but I've always been impatient. It took me awhile just to grasp the combat in a CRPG like Divinity OS, being new to the genre. I wanted to go Diablo ham on everything.

As thanks once again for your gift, here are some impressions for Deponia:

The story: You play a jobless jerk named Rufus on a junk planet named Deponia (although how it became such is not made clear.) You live with your ex-girlfriend, who despite being passive-aggressive and acid-tongued, allows you to stay with her. Your objective is to leave the planet, but things get complicated when you find a beautiful alien along the way.

The story is mostly good: the main character wrestles between his self-interests and doing the right thing. Unfortunately, most of the time he loses this battle and acts like an ass. He's always quick to betray, manipulate, or drug his friends, enemies and animals for his own ends. Had his character actually followed an arc and gone from loser jerk-ass to jerk with a heart of gold, I think this game might have been better received than it did. As it stands, it's a story about a jerk, but it's well-executed. The writing in the game itself isn't too bad, but it contains enough turns of phrase that shout out, "Here I am! Translated from German!" (example: when you get someone's key, it doesn't say Someone's Key, but rather Key of Someone.)

The graphics: It's got good style. The environments aren't as beautiful as its Daedalic counterpart the Whispered World, but it's up there. The characters have a nice cartoony style. Everything has the look of a junk planet, but it would have been nice if we saw more of Rufus' desired destination to give it some contrast, even if he just has a book about it. Something more than a dim view of some floating spires would have been better.

The music and voices: The incidental music is good. It's never annoying. However, there's this "rhyming" ditty framing the different acts. It's sung by a guy who can't hide his German accent (I think he's one of the lead developers) and the song sounds like it was badly cobbled together to match a meter. This is where the "translated from German" is most apparent. I'm guessing the song worked a lot better in its original language. Apart from this singer, however, the voices are by and large very well done. I was pleasantly surprised by them, having suffered through inferior voices from The Whispered World.

The puzzles and length: The puzzles are by and large item combination based. Some are tricky, but none are Guide Dang It bad. The mini-game puzzles are skippable if you don't like to fuddle your way through buttons and switches, but it will cost you achievements. One of the mini-games is pretty cute as you try to brute force a solution when you don't have all the requisites to solve it. My Steam profile says it took me 9 hours but I did leave it on when I went to do other stuff, so it'll be more like 7 1/2 to 8. Still, it's a good healthy length for a point-and-click.

The verdict: Better than I was expecting. Hit the Escape button to skip the musical interludes, remember not to bother identifying with the protagonist, and you're golden. Give it a go.

Deitus

I mean that's like least private thing, and people rarely comment on screenshots anyway, but it's your choice, I was just surprised that you care.

It's not so much that I care. It's more that I don't see the point. Even if some stranger posting rude comments on my screenshots is rare (not sure how often that happens on Steam, but Youtube comments sections tell me it's common practice on the internet at large), there is no benefit to me to merit posting them publicly.

Maybe I'm just an old man who doesn't get social media, but I have no interest in sharing anything with the whole world. It's not that I'm afraid people will see my screenshots, I just literally don't care what they think.

cicero

I've seen so many people bash TW1 so much because of it's combat system and it makes people not want to play it, which annoys me because it's such a great game.

Yeah, maybe a bit too harsh, but I'm damn tired of reading it.

The criticism I have seen over the years has been quite exaggerated. It is so cheap now during sales, people should just ignore the usual stream of complaints and check it out for themselves.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 6.6.1. Changes in this version include:
  • Added SteamCardExchange link to applicable app pages
  • Added basic support for upcomming store currencies
  • Updated SteamDB icon on store page buttons
  • Fixed a bug caused by Steam_Language cookie not being present for all users
This update should apply automatically within the next 60 minutes for both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox users.

I don't know if this was mentioned but Volgarr the Viking is 75% off - $2.99-(the cheapest it has been). So if someone didn't get it from the bundle the other day now is your chance. Highly recommended.

Oh, cool. Couldn't get the bundle but I have some money on Steam. Thanks for the heads up.

-MD-

South Park is GOTY material

The lack of difficulty holds it back from being GOTY imo, the fights rarely last longer than 10-20 seconds. Wish they would've patched it.

Though I wouldn't be mad if it did take GOTY at this point from the games I've played in 2014.

Tellaerin

The weapons were the equivalent of cork popguns, the levels boiled down to kinda meh corridors and it just wasn't any fun.
Sorry.

As far as I'm concerned, Hard Reset wasn't as good as Shadow Warrior (which is fantastic), but it's a damn good game in its own right. I agree that the weapons seemed a little lightweight initially, but I thought they felt gratifyingly substantial once you powered them up some. The environments weren't as visually diverse as they could've been (a lot of cyberpunk city and industrial-themed levels), but since I liked that theme (and it fit the story), that didn't bother me. Layout-wise, I thought there was a good bit of variation between levels. The story wasn't anything amazing, but it was good enough to keep the action moving.

Guess it's just a matter of personal taste. Sorry you didn't have fun with it! : /

iosefe

to those curious, i decided to go swimming instead, and now to watch yesterday's girl Meets world. THEN i'll play hard reset.

i was playing it not too long ago, but i experienced the first horde of enemies. dear god did i die

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Anybody here playing Nidhogg?
I can never find anybody playing online and the one time I did it was AWEFUL cause everything was super delayed for me which made playing impossible. Is this a common problem or on me?

Nabs

Nidhogg is good stuff, but I wouldn't recommend playing it online with randoms. You need to keep it close.

Now, Lethal League is a different story. Their netcode is rock solid, and everyone should play it.

Arthea

It's some sort of magic, I had my wishlist reduced to ~40 during summer sale, now it's +70, meaning even longer than it was before summer sale! How can that be? I add almost nothing these days, and it's growing faster than ever

edited: oh wow, just noticed playfire rewards of Fable, kinda wish I bought it
not really, but those rewards! Odin almighty

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wait, hold on. Hack'n'Slash is out? When did that happen?
Is that the Early Access curse? That your game releases and nobody notices? Is there even a trailer? Or a review? Game looks super interesting imho

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-09-14_01-15-17.jpg

lol :p

Lomax

Wait, hold on. Hack'n'Slash is out? When did that happen?
Is that the Early Access curse? That your game releases and nobody notices? Is there even a trailer? Or a review? Game looks super interesting imho

RPS did a review:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/11/hack-n-slash-review/

I think we've seen some games come out of early access and get PR bump (Lichdom did recently) whereas others do seem to make the transition somewhat unnoticed. Hack'n'Slash looks cool to me but there's just too much on my plate right now for the price they are asking, even if it is a big release discount. Seems likely we'll see 50% off by Christmas and probably bundled by next summer, especially since it seems to not be a very big hit.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Eets Munchies like a week ago. It was pretty good. I liked how the levels were easy to finish (except the mystery ones), but required a lot more thought to collect all the candies. Some puzzles were a pain in the ass mechanically, like this level where you had to puff up an elephant to get the eets to the cake. I messed that up so much. All in all, it's a pretty relaxing game with a few brain teasing puzzles.

Shadownet

Banned
I bought Resident Evil Revelations.. Did I made the right choice?

Also Resident Evil Revelations Complete Pack is region locked right? I only got the base game. Want to get the DLCs as well.

AHA-Lambda

Guys think this would work?

Buy Evil Within from Steam.
Get Evil Within Season Pass from seller and add to my account.
Cancel and refund Evil Within preorder from Steam.
Redeem Steam CD Key for Evil Within from retail copy.

Would this work? =/

dot

Also Resident Evil Revelations Complete Pack is region locked right? I only got the base game. Want to get the DLCs as well.
Should have got 4. Revalations dlc is just stuff for Raid mode I think.

Sajjaja

I've been read that people either like this or like RE6. I heard RER has a more Resident Evil atmosphere than 6 but 6 has great gameplay mechanics.

RER was a 3DS port too so it's understandable it's a little limited. I heard the coop is better in 6 too.

Wow, so dark souls will eventually transform from the name of a game to an adjective that means something along the lines of 'enemies that can kill you'. An example sentence would be 'Man those chainsaw dudes in resident evil are so dark souls'.

Sarcasm aside I really don't know how I feel about games being used to define other games. While I understand that games share commonalities, seeing a reference to The Witcher 2 as dark souls lite really confounds me. Aside from enemies being able to one shot you I really can't see much similarity there.

For anyone wondering about playing the wither 1 or 2, they are games with rich worlds where you will benefit yourself by paying attention to the world and reading things (such as learning enemy weaknesses or tactics). You'll be picking herbs to craft potions because you know that to get past the lake at night you'll be facing drowned dead. You'll also be making difficult choices that have reasonable big impact over the events of the game world.

They are thoroughly enjoyable games that I would encourage people play and mod to their liking. If you find that the combat isn't enjoyable, try the combat rebalance mods, or mod in some upgraded weapons so that you can focus more on the story.

From the looks of it you could just buy the DLC that's included in the complete pack as they are all like 24cents each, or get the 'all resident DLC pack which seems cheaper. Also I think you'll enjoy the game, I believe that people say it's more like 'resident evil' because there are door cutscenes, but to me they are all resident evil because of the absurd plot twists you generally see coming a mile away.

Edit: oops, now everyone gets treated to a double cow post!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

ulgzbKC.png
Orborun (Desura) -- MB-7F7789A9C061E210 - Taken by SSPssp

Shade

Some old bundle stuff. Should be unused. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Arena Wars 2 -- MB-E19B269A7E054267 - Taken by topyy. 1 entrants total.
knytt underground -- MB-0920F26023D30D5F - Taken by danhese007. 1 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-6633060E08455F64 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
Killing Floor -- MB-CEF4CFF16F0543F8 - Taken by Helmholtz. 2 entrants total.
Zeno Clash 2 -- MB-2C18691DDAB19330 - Taken by Patison. 2 entrants total.
Dwarfs!? -- MB-568709E3CEE79054 - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.

t1410654250z1.png

Shadownet

Banned
Revelaitons is great.

Should have got 4. Revalations dlc is just stuff for Raid mode I think.

I've been read that people either like this or like RE6. I heard RER has a more Resident Evil atmosphere than 6 but 6 has great gameplay mechanics.

RER was a 3DS port too so it's understandable it's a little limited. I heard the coop is better in 6 too.

The opinions are so split :/ It was a tied between Resident Evil 4 and Revelations. I went with the newer one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom