• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRamen

Man, Turfster, you are a negative roll (negaroll) these last few posts! Makes me want to say something like how I am not annoyed by the lack of mouse in Fable Anniversary's menus. ;)

Oh and Thief 2014 is a decent game if you pay no more than $10-$15 for it. And to be honest, while I was indeed minorly annoyed by the guided/context-sensitive wall climbing and other actions, I had zero issue with achieving both the don't kill/knockout anyone the whole game and the don't use the focus ability until the last chapter, so on some level I think that speaks to how decent the options were to get through a quest.

Khronico

So I downloaded the free trial of FFXIV and proceeded to play around 4 hrs straight with no breaks. I'm not a huge fan of MMO's and have never played a Final Fantasy game (except for 2 hours of FF7) yet for some reason I'm absolutely loving XIV right now. I'm definitely getting it when it goes on sale on Steam.

*Goes back to playing*

Shadownet

Banned
I can't connect to it. Says the server was not found. :p

Last time I tried to connect it said the password I was entering was incorrect. GAF servers hate me.

It seems like the server just dropped on those who was able to join :/ I'll talk to phoenix tomorrow. Sorry about the trouble.

Turfster

Man, Turfster, you are a negative roll (negaroll) these last few posts! Makes me want to say something like how I am not annoyed by the lack of mouse in Fable Anniversary's menus. ;)

It's what I do.
Also, it's not my fault people keep talking/asking about bad games ;)

Revelaitons is an actual resident evil game, with tension and ammo management, close to the first ones.

I think REV barely has any inventory managment. Your ammo capacity is limited (though you can upgrade it), and you can carry only 3 weapons, but that's it. They also simplified the herb system (only green herbs and they heal you completely). Maybe even RE6 has more inventory management than REV.

I've played the demo back on ps3 and that game was absolutely awful, my bro and I thought it was hilarious how bad it was for a triple a game.

RE6 has problems, but the combat system is great when you know what you're doing. It takes a bit of effort though since the game doesn't teach you anything.

AsfaeksBR

Does somebody knows when the embargo for "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" lifts?
Or even if it will have an embargo &/or review before release?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
RE4 is by far the superior game, but after playing 6, Revelaitons is a nice palette cleanse. I enjoyed it alot.

Can we start to assume Capcom have made up their minds about removing GFWL from the GFWL games that are included in the sale? Since they still have a few GFWL games not on sale, I mean.

People spent most of the last few days telling me 6 was a vanquish wannabe, and I'd heard it from others too, so...
*shrug*
Never actually played it myself, but from what I've seen in videos, it sounds pretty accurate.

I spent over 80 hours with RE6 and was 1 tactical challenge short of a platinum in Vanquish. I don't see it.

Tellaerin

Still haven't started RE6, but the more action-oriented the games have become, the more I've enjoyed them. I think RE6 and I are going to get on just fine.

That said, I'm starting to feel like I ought to keep my opinion of games to myself when people ask for advice. I get the impression my opinions don't square with prevailing wisdom when it comes to what is and isn't good. :s

BadRamen

Still haven't started RE6, but the more action-oriented the games have become, the more I've enjoyed them. I think RE6 and I are going to get on just fine.

That said, I'm starting to feel like I ought to keep my opinion of games to myself when people ask for advice. I get the impression my opinions don't square with prevailing wisdom when it comes to what is and isn't good. :s

No! I like RE6 tooooooooooooo!

Sajjaja

Just gonna leave this here.
re6whopperslidekill383s9w.gif

Just tell it like it is. People will soon learn who has the same tastes in games.

Do you have the gif where you shoot a zombie in the arm, run up to it and hit RT for the instant kill and then repeat another 2000 times?

That is the other RE6 gif.

You can't do that with all enemies. Also you can do much more than that, and it's fun playing around with all the moves you have.

Miker

Do you have the gif where you shoot a zombie in the arm, run up to it and hit RT for the instant kill and then repeat another 2000 times?

Sure, you can if you want. You can only use the wrench in Bioshock as well. Or you can have fun with all the moves you have available. Or play Mercs No Mercy - you definitely won't be meleeing everything there.

For what it's worth, I at least partially agree with that complaint. Melee and counters give you bonus time (and thus score) in Mercs, so to get a high score you want to stand around countering everything. It's also the best way to start out any round of Mercs to save ammo, which means games can take a minute or so to really get exciting.

As you're sliding or rolling forward, pull back or hold D to flip around like that.

Another nice trick that some people don't know about is that you can place bombs while you're sliding. So run toward a group of enemies, slide in the middle of them to place a bomb, press back to do a quick 180° turn, activate the bomb and watch them explode.

Sure, you can if you want. You can only use the wrench in Bioshock as well. Or you can have fun with all the moves you have available. Or play Mercs No Mercy - you definitely won't be meleeing everything there.

For what it's worth, I at least partially agree with that complaint. Melee and counters give you bonus time (and thus score) in Mercs, so to get a high score you want to stand around countering everything. It's also the best way to start out any round of Mercs to save ammo, which means games can take a minute or so to really get exciting.

I think my main issue is I don't play mercenaries and really have no desire to ever do so. I just find it all a bit too stressful and hence not enjoyable at all.

So RE6 is really all about the campaigns to me. This is where you can play around with different moves...or you can just do the same thing over and over.

I'm just finishing up Leon's campaign at the moment, hence the shoot in the arm comment. For anything else? Remote bomb and you are done. For Chris campaign? It is just a pretty poor TPS. At least once you get the grenade launcher and shotgun you can get through everything quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun with it and I can see the point of supporters. But calling it "good", even the combat just doesn't fly with the way I personally judge games. I like them to be properly crafted and designed experiences and RE6 certainly isn't that.

But I guess it comes down to how you game. I've always thought if you have to make up your own fun to enjoy something, it is a fundamental problem. Case in point, Velocity 2x which everybody is raving about, but I think is flat out boring. Vanquish was like that to a certain extent too, but at least it was over before it outstayed its welcome and became too repetitive.

Miker

I think my main issue is I don't play mercenaries and really have no desire to ever do so. I just find it all a bit too stressful and hence not enjoyable at all.

So RE6 is really all about the campaigns to me. This is where you can play around with different moves...or you can just do the same thing over and over.

I'm just finishing up Leon's campaign at the moment, hence the shoot in the arm comment. For anything else? Remote bomb and you are done. For Chris campaign? It is just a pretty poor TPS. At least once you get the grenade launcher and shotgun you can get through everything quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun with it and I can see the point of supporters. But calling it "good", even the combat just doesn't fly with the way I personally judge games. I like them to be properly crafted and designed experiences and RE6 certainly isn't that.

But I guess it comes down to how you game. I've always thought if you have to make up your own fun to enjoy something, it is a fundamental problem. Case in point, Velocity 2x which everybody is raving about, but I think is flat out boring. Vanquish was like that to a certain extent too, but at least it was over before it outstayed its welcome and became too repetitive.

I hear you, actually. RE was always about the campaigns to me, too. I'd never touched Mercs prior to RE6. I played the RE6 campaign and hated, hated the campaign for the first half of it. Then I started getting used to the controls and experimenting more, and trudged my way through the rest of the campaign, and actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Then I started playing Mercs, 'cause I heard it was good, and for some reason, I loved it. It was the enemy grinder that campaign, for the most part, really wasn't. I really think you should give it a shot if you haven't.

Y'know why? Because I was that guy who played Bioshock with nothing but a wrench, and Crysis using nothing but stealth mode. And I love RE6 Mercs. And so can you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom