• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

If only.

How're you liking it?

The combat and movement is a bit clunky, and the combo thing is a bit more simple than I'd thought, basically just kind of similar punches and kicks with different properties (regen, speed up cooldown for special), so you just do them over and over, but so far not very bad.

I'm enjoying looking at all these cool locations than the actual game part, like I'm not even paying attention to the dude talking to me because I'm too busy sightseeing and taking pictures. The environments are really detailed for some crazy reason because they seem to be areas you run right past once..

Sajjaja

Resident Evil 6 coop is pretty damn fun. A lot of new things you discover when as you play too. You can block incoming swings from zombies, dive, dive backwards, lay, dodge, quick shot. So good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Legend of Korra is not too far away, Oct. 21.
This led me to watching a gameplay/interview video and the interviewer mentioned how it made him think he wants a Power Ranger game from Platinum and I must say that idea is super awesome to me.

Resident Evil 6 coop is pretty damn fun. A lot of new things you discover when as you play too. You can block incoming swings from zombies, dive, dive backwards, lay, dodge, quick shot. So good.
One time I was playing Leon's campaign in front of the church with those red guys who leap at you. I saw one getting ready to jump at my partner (busy fighting other enemies) but I was across the yard. Nevertheless I ran towards it, getting in range (coming from behind) just as it jumped forward. I pushed the counter button on a small hope it might actually do something. What resulted was Leon (from a full sprint) grabbing it by the waist out of mid-air, swinging it over his head in the opposite direction, and body-slamming it into the ground and stomping on it.

Best 3rd person action game of the generation.

Since GTAV got delayed, my girlfriend will probably buy it for my birthday (my birthday is Jan 31st), so I'm about to spend my money from GMG on a new game instead of GTAV.

Shadow of Mordor looks quite good, I might get that if GAF consensus and reviews are good. Given the studio pedigree (minus FEAR 2 and 3) I have high hopes.

Sajjaja

Since GTAV got delayed, my girlfriend will probably buy it for my birthday (my birthday is Jan 31st), so I'm about to spend my money from GMG on a new game instead of GTAV.

Shadow of Mordor looks quite good, I might get that if GAF consensus and reviews are good. Given the studio pedigree (minus FEAR 2 and 3) I have high hopes.
The Evil Within.

Ozium

Just played through GONE HOME and uhh.. it was a nice little game featuring turning on lights while exploring a lovely little coming of age and young love story..

I failed to see anything that shifted the paradigm in which I operate, nor did it have some moment of pure truth that had hitherto never been presented to me before... I also was told this story is controversial... how?
even the parents attitude wasn't one of disapproval or anger, just a momentary sense of denial, hardly abnormal one would think.

Someone mentioned how great the story was and the lives of the three family members being intersting.. the two side stories were dumb and really just window dressing for the main story about your sister. that one was pretty decent as a coming of age story like I said..

I got near the end of the game and then I saw something that I thought would add some sort of a twist... I remember people talking about a "twist" or controversy... so I see
a pentacle/pentagram carved onto a table with the picture of the dude who died in the house and a personal relic of his, along with a book on the floor about spirit calling... oh cool.... and then we have this ominious note about the attic... so I'm thinking maybe they killed themselves in some satanic blood pact in the attic but NOPE YOU GO TO THE ATTIC AND YOU LEARN THAT NOT ONLY ARE THEY BOTH FINE, BUT THEY DECIDED TO FOREGO WITH THEIR PLANS TO BE TOGETHER!! The ending is happy... where is the fucking twist? where is the controversy? the only controversy I could see is the fact that your sister is gay, but that's onl a controversy if you are homophobic... I'm not so I didn't think anything more of it than that it was what it was...

I'll defend it as being a game, it's just not a very good one. The focus of this game is on story, btu the story is fluff..

2 bad rats out of 5

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There's a more interesting story going on. Remember the dark room with a toy in it?

Thorgal

I asked this before but got ignored :

How well does Rome :total war play now ?

No more ridiculous bugs ?
No utterly stupid glitches or AI ?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just watched The Evil Within gameplay and...

7kVgnSu.gif

NOPE

It was a slow build, just a persistent atmosphere that culminated to me no longer desiring to be in it. I think RE mixed this with a sense of humor as well as a sense of badassery in your main character to ease things, but TEW seems like the purest survival horror ever made. Not sure it is my thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tried out my "workaround" to get the evil within season pass, and yeah it won't let me cancel my pre order for the game now >_<

Valve may be willing to cancel your pre-order and revert the Season Pass back into a gift, but in doing so you run the risk of the SP being retroactively region-locked at the activation level before you have the opportunity to activate your retail key, so unless you're feeling lucky it may be a better idea to just stick with your current situation.

Started playing Blood of the Werewolf. Haven't touched it since it launched and back then I was far from impressed, but hey what to you know, it's actually pretty damn good. Been a while since I wholeheartedly enjoyed a platformer this much. I might even actually finish this one. Those updates must have been substantial.

Divius

Could not control myself and bought RE4 via the BST. Also picked up Alien: Isolation while I was at it.

Can't wait to jump back into RE4, I loved that game so much on the gamecube. I hope it holds up.

Ozium

So I've decided to make a new category, one that will prove useful to me.. it's called "A Daily Challenge" (so 'tis just below favorites in the list order.) So far in this category I've put in Spelunky, OlliOlli, Lyne, and Race the Sun..

is there a list of games on steam that have a daily challenge/seeding whatever? I swear there are more than this but I dont really want to go through my 500+ games and find out.. so if anyone knows of others, or if there's a list.. please let me know...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Knurek, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Knurek, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-DF63E0D51B542456 - Taken by lucebuce12. 3 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-2301465CE12FA2CE - Taken by The Reloader. 3 entrants total.
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-C84F0915F93512C3
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-268C8F1C8AABB905
McPixel -- MB-6759AA79149A4D4B - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-ED9444EF0A42BBA9 - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-B2B705409A39FA5E - Taken by Helmholtz. 4 entrants total.
Waking Mars -- MB-DA89A37C751609A1 - Taken by Asharakk. 1 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-3EA404E30E59D53D - Taken by VaeVictis. 1 entrants total.
Nightsky -- MB-D410BF06BA404451 - Taken by deadflower81. 1 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-54B6ED24D7646810 - Taken by NamikazeBurst. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-E92DF8456891DDE8 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 1 entrants total.

t1410686051z1.png

AHA-Lambda

Valve may be willing to cancel your pre-order and revert the Season Pass back into a gift, but in doing so you run the risk of the SP being retroactively region-locked at the activation level before you have the opportunity to activate your retail key, so unless you're feeling lucky it may be a better idea to just stick with your current situation.

Contacted them.

It'd actually work out cheaper for me to rebuy the Season Pass at full price than the situation I've got myself into so yeah, hope they can cancel and I'll take my chances that Bethesda doesn't lock the SP later on.

Goddammit, why do I look at Steam.

Remember Me - watched a couple videos, read a couple reviews, honestly the game sounded right up my alley, even with the criticisms regarding gameplay. For six bucks, it's absolutely worth the gamble to see if my instincts are correct.

Skyrim - Never did get around to playing it when it originally came out. Will probably immediately install that Macho Man mod. Oooh yeah.

Alien vs. Predator Classic - Five bucks. Played the living SHIT out of that game when it was new. Total nostalgia buy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I finally just gave in and got South Park.

Time to put every other game I was trying to get through on hold then.

It never ends.

Game is pretty good. It starts off somewhat slow but it gets going. It's a quick play through so enjoy it. Even the side quests are quick.

Just played through GONE HOME and uhh.. it was a nice little game featuring turning on lights while exploring a lovely little coming of age and young love story..

I failed to see anything that shifted the paradigm in which I operate, nor did it have some moment of pure truth that had hitherto never been presented to me before... I also was told this story is controversial... how?
even the parents attitude wasn't one of disapproval or anger, just a momentary sense of denial, hardly abnormal one would think.

It's not the content of the story that's controversial. The reception that it got is what makes it so. A lot of the hate that the game gets is from people who do not like the themes explored in the story. I'm sure you can understand that given the current drama surrounding gaming for the past few weeks.

Someone mentioned how great the story was and the lives of the three family members being intersting.. the two side stories were dumb and really just window dressing for the main story about your sister. that one was pretty decent as a coming of age story like I said..

I found all 3 stories interesting. The one about
the father being a successful writer who has lost his mojo. He is reduced to having to write product reviews just to support his family even though it kills him to do so on the inside. The mother who sees her husband drifting away into failure and walks into an affair with a young achiever who starts working with her. Or the original owner of the house who was shunned by his family and lived as a hermit throughout his life for some reason. It's later implied that he molested the father which ended up changing the lives of both those characters. The father was forced to move to this family house because of his financial situation. The last thing you find out is that both parents have gone to meet a marriage counselor, presumably to talk through the mother's infidelity and the father's past trauma.

Like I said before, these are slice of life vignettes presented through environmental storytelling. I found it interesting to piece together the stories and partake in the speculation and speculation about all the clues that are presented to you.

You seem to have been expecting a great plot twist, a big reveal or some master stroke of writing. That's not this game. It gets it's praise for it's presentation of realistic stories and not for having the greatest story you've never heard.

JaseC

Badass. They even have demos FTW. Thanks!

Edit: Just got my first burn from having purchased a game from a reseller awhile back. My AC IV Gold purchase doesn't have the Season Pass code. *smacks head*

Have you actually ran the game yet? If you're sure the Season Pass key isn't there, my guess would be that the key you're given activates a copy of the game on Uplay that includes the Season Pass content.

Miguel81

Have you actually ran the game yet? If you're sure the Season Pass key isn't there, my guess would be that the key you're given activates a copy of the game on Uplay that includes the Season Pass content.

It was a Uplay key as the Steam version cost twice as much. I've played through the main game, and neglected to check on the Season Pass content. The *nameless site* has a live chat and the customer service told me to open a support ticket with a picture of my Uplay client showing the Season Pass as not unlocked. If this doesn't work, blah, I'll wait for a sale and purchase then.

JaseC

It was a Uplay key as the Steam version cost twice as much. I've played through the main game, and neglected to check on the Season Pass content. The *nameless site* has a live chat and the customer service told me to open a support ticket with a picture of my Uplay client showing the Season Pass as not unlocked. If this doesn't work, blah, I'll wait for a sale and purchase then.

Ah. You'll know you have the Season Pass if you see Freedom Cry as an option in the main menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom