• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems to be The Elder Scrolls standard! Although, Oblivion's main quest wasn't half bad. I always do the guild quests first; the Companions have a really fun quest line if you haven't joined them yet!

I haven't joined the Companions, they seemed like a bunch of boring mercenaries now I'm curious about their quest line.

Turfster

I haven't joined the Companions, they seemed like a bunch of boring mercenaries now I'm curious about their quest line.

Sadly, all Bethesda quests are the same, no matter what the faction you joined actually does.
"Oh, you're a fighter? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."
"Oh, you're a thief? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."
"Oh, you're a bard? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."

Is it just me or does Marvel Heroes frequently have massive updates?

Every couple weeks there is a content patch on Friday that changes stuff. This last Friday was of particular note because the long-awaited hero Rogue was added to the game.

So yeah, it's semi-regular.

I was in the same boat as you when I first started playing Skyrim, until a friend enlightened me.

Let me put it this way: if you join them, you'll swiftly learn why they're so interesting. This revelation will change everything you thought you knew.

Dr Dogg

Sadly, all Bethesda quests are the same, no matter what the faction you joined actually does.
"Oh, you're a warrior? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."
"Oh, you're a thief? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."
"Oh, you're a bard? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."

Apart from the Dark Brotherhood. Those are some actually worthwhile guild quests. Hell I even liked the Theives guild quest line in Skyrim more than the thievery in Thief 4. The Fighters guild in Oblivion was just one combat area after another and the Mages guild in Skyrim was less action heavy than all of them. Still haven't done the Bards guid quests in Skyrim as I thought they were going to be about traveling to inn to inn to retell the tales of heroes but no it's go to a place, kill a thing, loot a doodad and turn in. Urghh.

Divius

How do I get rid of a trade offer notification for an item I no longer have?

lS5BHf4.png

There's no dismiss or delete button

this is messing wtih my OCD man

03eV09w.png

"Oh, you're a fighter? Go to this dungeon, kill everything and bring back a doodad."

Is there a Bard's Guild?

I was in the same boat as you when I first started playing Skyrim, until a friend enlightened me.

Let me put it this way: if you join them, you'll swiftly learn why they're so interesting. This revelation will change everything you thought you knew.

I'll try their quests when I'm back to Whiterun.

Dr Dogg

Have someone send you a trade offer and cancel it their end. Any trade offer will do so can be a voucher and then when it's canceled it resets the notification your end. It's been a bug for a while now. I would send you one but I'm away from a computer at the mo but I'm sure one of the fine folks here will oblige.

Grief.exe

In Morrowind the starting quests followed a similar path, but as you got your feet wet, the quests turned into killing off the other guilds.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have someone send you a trade offer and cancel it their end. Any trade offer will do so can be a voucher and then when it's canceled it resets the notification your end. It's been a bug for a while now. I would send you one but I'm away from a computer at the mo but I'm sure one of the fine folks here will oblige.

I'm really surprised Valve hasn't fixed this yet. There is a bit of javascript that can cancel these trade offers and I keep almost adding a "Cancel" button to the interface to invoke it. I figure that as soon as I do, Valve will fix this but they still haven't.

So I might have to look into that.

Fable's aging system is still great and unique within the genre as far as I can remember.
How my hero started out post prologue with a bit of customization.
Hero as he started to go gray
Bigger bald spot and fully gray hair
Wrinkles, skin decloration, fully bald, and a massive gray beard.

Really makes you feel like you've come a long way by the end.

Does he still age depending on quest progression or leveling?

Back when I played Fable on the Xbox I did a lot of grinding & side-quests. By the time I got around to the main quest I was ancient. People 1/4th my age were telling me what to do. It got really depressing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm really surprised Valve hasn't fixed this yet. There is a bit of javascript that can cancel these trade offers and I keep almost adding a "Cancel" button to the interface to invoke it. I figure that as soon as I do, Valve will fix this but they still haven't.

So I might have to look into that.

Please do. It's a crazy oversight that bothers me.

Zafir

Back when I played Fable on the Xbox I did a lot of grinding & side-quests. By the time I got around to the main quest I was ancient. People 1/4th my age were telling me what to do. It got really depressing.

I thought it was days past, but it could be progression, I dunno. I'm about half way through and done quite a few of the side quests and it still says I'm 21 in the stats. I am scarred though. :( My face has two big ones going through each eye.

It's based on leveling up, every time you purchase a skill you age by .06 years. Start at 19, end at 65 if you max out. Always assumed the age was more of a depiction of your powers taking their toll on you as the game takes place over 15 or so years. Do keep in mind that the effects above are exaggerated as I played a fully evil character.

Mono

I beat Murderd: Soul Suspect a few days ago, hurray!

~*~2spooky4me~*~
Possessing the cat and being able to meow continuously may have been my favorite part of the game. :X Very accurate cat running animations. 10/10 cat simulator of the year!

8.8 hours for the main story, but I think an hour of that was wasted trying to get the game to work, because when it says "press start" on the title screen, it is very serious about it and needs you to literally PRESS START. Every time I wanted to play this game, I had to go into device manager, disable my controller drivers, and reboot my computer to be able to get past the splash menu. The keyboard and mouse controls are great, though!

That being said, the game is swarming with bugs that seem flat out lazy. To name a few major ones off the top of my head:

1. If you exit the game anywhere but the "overworld" town, all of the initial cutscenes for an area will trigger again when you leave.
  2. Almost every ghost object in the game bugs out and shakes with collision problems
  3. Eternally walk to the right every time you strafe right after exiting a certain area
  4. Subtitle bugs and crashes!

Ignoring all the bugs, the gameplay is really fun and the story and characters are well written! The "detective" sequences are fun, even though piecing together evidence is usually way too obvious, and a lot of the clues you have to find are irrelevant. There are only four sidequests in this game if you don't count the absolutely mental amount of collectables, and they use the detective sequence. I wish there were more side quests!

I didn't like the stealth / demon killing aspect of the game at first, but it grew on me once I got the hang of it. My only complaint here is that demons appearing didn't have any real significance at all to the plot, and seemed like filler.

You can possess living people and read their minds, which seems really cool, but the game only utalized this for plot relevance once, and NPCs in Salem only have 5-6 stock phrases that they think about.

The story is where this game really shines! But if you're thinking about playing this and don't want spoilers, note that the achievement descriptions spoil who the killer is.

I really liked the two main characters, Joy and Ronan. They're believable and interesting. I don't recall there ever being a point in the game where the plot felt like filler. The mystery is really well done! There's a certain point in the game that makes you think that the killer is
Baxter, which would have been a complete bullshit cop-out, so I was relived to find out that it wasn't him! I got really mad at the game for thinking it was going in that direction, lol.

I thought the ending
was very well done! Though they coul have expanded on the whole 'possessed-Ronan drowned that girl in the cemetary' part, since it was a little cheesy that all we got was his generic "no, I would never do that!!" Other than that, I was satisfied with the ending and was glad that they ended it where they did. The writers of this game really know what they're doing! I was expecting a 'Joy reunites Cassandra' ending, which was already implied, so I'm glad they didn't go there and cut it short to keep the game's focus on the mystery.

I know I'm being very critical, but I loved this game, despite its flaws! I wouldn't pay full price for it, but it deserves some attention!

Mono

That's what I thought when I was playing through Skyrim, but they're much more interesting than the boring fetch quest mercenary guild they appear to be!

Zafir

It's based on leveling up, every time you purchase a skill you age by .06 years. Start at 19, end at 65 if you max out. Always assumed the age was more of a depiction of your powers taking their toll on you as the game takes place over 15 or so years. Do keep in mind that the effects above are exaggerated as I played a fully evil character.

Ah right. I probably got older, and then reverted back from my big donation to the temple of avo. :p

Jawmuncher

Umh, I don't know. This collection thing, speaking about MGS, seems strange to me.
If a collection need to be released in 2014, I think mid of september is late.
Or this collection is basically finished and they reveal only the release date, or is something else.

The fact is called "2014" means it must be released this year. There are only three months until the end of 2014 (or better, two months and half, since the second half od December is pretty much useless, if they will launch a game, they'll do around first two weeks of December), so...dunno.

Also the fact they are talking about Portable Ops...if they release another collection (like Sony did for God of War: one collection is for 1+2, one for PSP titles) with Portable Ops and Acid, well, I'm not excited at all.

And if they remastered Metal Gear Solid 4, I think we would already know. They announced the release date for Metal Gear Solid HD Collection in October for February in Europe (November in America) (so four months before), while the HD remake itself was already revealed during E3 2011, so let's say in june, five months before...I think if a next gen remake/collection was planned, we would already know at this point.

But yes, anything can happen, but I won't hold my breath.

You're dead to me.
Acid 2 alone is one of the best games I have ever played in my existence.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

yuraya

lS5BHf4.png

There's no dismiss or delete button

this is messing wtih my OCD man

03eV09w.png

It will go away on its own after couple days. I think when Valve has maintenance It'll go away.

It usually happens when you wind up trading an item that was part of a trade you cancelled right before.

Backlogger

Yeah it does, I uninstalled earlier this week because I got tired of 5GB updates every week for a game I don't play much.

Same. Its driving me nuts. I like playing the game, but I maybe only play it 1-2 times per month and have it installed on 2 computers. Maybe I will uninstall it on one.

I had a really weird time yesterday. In the supermarket doing some shopping and my card was declined. Luckily i had cash on me but it was for an evening out. Thought nothing of it and went home.

As soon as i got home i checked my bank account online and nothing untoward had happened. Got a voice mail moments later telling me i had to phone the fraud squad. Turns out that my spending habits had forced the bank to put a block on my card because of "fraudulent activity". That activity? Buying games on Humble Bundle for me and my brother. Not kidding, they blocked my card because of it. When i phoned them they told me that Humble Bundle was, and i quote, "an untrustworthy site that is constantly used for fraudulent transactions" and that they had done it for my own good.

I was furious. I have bought games from Humble Bundle since January of this year when i started to get into PC gaming and build my Steam library. I know the intricate details of my finances and if there was a problem with my balance i would know about it and notify them. They cancelled my card because their system is too dumb to check my previous transactions (which would have shown HB activity over the course of 9 months) or have someone check it themselves. 20 seconds it would take.

They re-activated my card but it didn't come back on until later on in the day for some reason so i spent Saturday night at home watching Sons Of Anarchy.

Oh, and someone from the US (i'm in the UK) tried to access my GMG account yesterday as i had verification emails from them that someone from a different location was trying to access my account. I immediately changed my password.

So yeah......MY WEEKEND HAS BEEN GREAT.

DFcK4A9.gif

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I feel like Oblivion was probably the worst playing "modern" Elder Scrolls game but had by far the best quests.

Still 5 days until Wasteland 2
Fixed that

When i phoned them they told me that Humble Bundle was, and i quote, "an untrustworthy site that is constantly used for fraudulent transactions" and that they had done it for my own good.

I am quite sure there are a lot of people buying games with stolen CC data and then try to sell the keys asap.

I remember on those trading sites there are always humble bundle games far under the BTA price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom