• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

One of my older Sennheiser cans (might have been HD485) came with a hanger thingy that attaches on the side of a table, and it has served me well for about 6 years even though I don't use those cans anymore.

I had an old pair of Sens that came with what essentially was an over door hook but adjustable, slightly curved and padded. Was quite handy but I didn't really have the required space in my work area. As stated above I'm a cheapskate and just pop them over my monitor when not in use, easy peasy. Then again I don't exactly have a typical set up and have three monitors on my desk at home all connected to different sources.

Monooboe

i3jKDUlcwgHWU.png

Sorted by price

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JOETX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001ARCFA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S333U4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S332TQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Headphone stand

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/55127-spectrum-euroTM-banana-hanger.html

Remember people, friends don't let friends buy headsets on PC.

Listen to this man. Good headphones is a must!

I would also add to that list the ones I'm using Ultrasone PRO 900, they are made with electronic music in mind so they work awesomely with games where good bass is appreciated. They are a bit pricey new but can be found quite "cheap" secondhand but in good condition.

Amazon Link

EDIT, linked to the wrong ones, fixed now.

Grief.exe

wait.. headsets are bad?

Unequivocally. I can understand from a convenience standpoint where they can easily be transitioned from Console to PC.

Throwing out audio and build quality considerations, where the headsets are objectively worse by a large margin, the price points are just obscene.

Even in the lower and middle tier headsets you are already in, what I consider to be, enthusiast price ranges for headphones.

I get so passionate about it because I hate to see people waste money due to bullshit marketing tactics.

Damn Grief with all those recommendations of brands I never heard of. Though I would trust his over mine if he day they're good.

Superlux is relatively unknown, but Sennheiser and Audio Technica are best of the best as far as headphones are concerned.

I am currently using Razer megalodon .

Works very well .

CRQtexI.jpg

No, no.

Sorry to single you out, but Megalodon is not a good purchase.

The multiple, low-quality, speakers so they can hit the 'surround sound' marketing point means the overall audio quality is terrible. Add in the typical Razer build quality and ridiculous price point and you have a bad scenario.

haha the whole reason why im buying a new headset is because my tritton pro headset broke after 3 months of usage... to make it more specific, the headset was just too small for my head and so the size adjustment mechanism literally broke after 3 months of usage. right now it is being held together by masking tape

i did check amazon for headset stands and most had mixed reviews.

If you still have the receipt, email Madcatz/Tritton Support. My old Tritton Pro's (before the revision) also broke, and even with a poor receipt that barely showed anything because the ink wore off, they still replaced them with the current version headset for free. they even sent me a PC adapter a few months later when I asked because the headset they set me had no analog connectors, just a digital box with optical cable.

There's also the scarring system which is very unique.
I remember people doing scarless challenges.

Yeah, it's really cool. Another things that adds a lot of personality to your character and makes it fill as if you've been through a lot over the years. You can see the battles all over my character, although I did play on heroic :p

Damn, I'm impressed you finished it up so quickly after it released. I'm at 20/50 so far and haven't played too far into the story, but I'll probably wrap it up this week at 49/50 since I skipped the hard mode. The hard mode is like the lowest tier reward Playfire does so I feel a bit better about that.

I have very few responsibilities until I start my new job in two weeks so I'm using all of my free time while I have it.

abracadaver

Daily Starpoint Gemini 2 40%

Humble Day 7
  • Company of Heroes 2 8.74€
  • Europa Unversalis IV 8€
  • Habitat 9€
  • Medieval II Total War 0.8€ (12 hour flash)
  • OlliOlli 7€ (8 hour flash)
  • Outlast 4.74€
  • Alan Wake + American Nightmare 5.4€
  • Guacamelee! Gold 2.8€
  • Mount & Blade Warband 4€
  • Killing Floor 4.5€
  • Shadowgrounds 0.5€
  • Back to the Future The Game 5.74€
  • The Novelist 2.5€
  • Joe Danger 3€
  • Ironclad Tactics 3€
  • Always Sometimes Monsters 5€
  • Steam Marines 3€
  • Megabyte Punch 2.5€
  • Little Inferno 3€

Joe Danger for me.

Hope its not as hard as the trials games

kudoboi

tnx for this! ill take a look into it

sadly none of them ships here :/

there are dedicated audio stores for these types of headsets here but the prices are extremely marked up ( like every other electronic product sold here)

If you still have the receipt, email Madcatz/Tritton Support. My old Tritton Pro's (before the revision) also broke, and even with a poor receipt that barely showed anything because the ink wore off, they still replaced them with the current version headset for free. they even sent me a PC adapter a few months later when I asked because the headset they set me had no analog connectors, just a digital box with optical cable.
honestly the issue is that the headset is just too small for me and i think that even if they were to send me a new one, it will just eventually break again :/

Shadownet

Banned
Superlux is relatively unknown, but Sennheiser and Audio Technica are best of the best as far as headphones are concerned.

My knowledge is limited outside of Turtle Beach headsets so I don't doubt you that the two brands above are great brands. Though I do remember a friend who own a pair of Audio Technica. I might have to replace my PX5 sometime soon. Its eating up battery like crazy.

Annubis

Oh man, I'm facepalming so hard right now.

I finally decided to try Memories of a Vagabond.
The game just wouldn't launch.
Tried to verify integrity, uninstall/re-install, etc. and nothing worked.

Then I ponder for a second and go... are they stupid enough that they would have forgotten to add the base RPGmaker files? Even though you have to accept the EULA of RPGmaker when you install the game?

I install RPGMaker RTP... and now the game launches.

... wow...

Zafir

Problem with headsets is two fold. First of all most headset manufacturers don't make headphones anyway so they aren't high quality regardless. Then you're also just paying extra for the benefit of having an attached mic. Headphones and a zalman clipon/modmic/vmoda boom mic is just way better quality for the price. Love my sennheiser hd 558s though they're far from the best.

Dr Dogg

No ATH M50's mentioned Grief? I'm disappointed. Sometimes open backs can really rub the other occupants of the same room up the wrong way. Best closed back set of phones I've ever used and at a bargain price most places at the moment.

Enco

Thought I would give DR3 a go to see how it is.

Really bad graphics, really bad performance and a crash after 25 mins. Think I'll leave it for a few weeks/months.

Sad how Capcom allowed this.

-MD-

No, no.

Sorry to single you out, but Megalodon is not a good purchase.

The multiple, low-quality, speakers so they can hit the 'surround sound' marketing point means the overall audio quality is terrible. Add in the typical Razer build quality and ridiculous price point and you have a bad scenario.

Jesus, they're $250 on Amazon. I bought a pair of Siberia V2s for $100 awhile ago and they're excellent (for the price) and they're currently $50 which is a stupidly low price.

Grief.exe

No ATH M50's mentioned Grief? I'm disappointed. Sometimes open backs can really rub the other occupants of the same room up the wrong way. Best closed back set of phones I've ever used and at a bargain price most places at the moment.

If sound leakage is an issue for you, then by all means. I just don't generally recommend closed headphones for gaming.

I have a pair of HE-400s that I love but they can get really uncomfortable at times. Not sure if it's just how I position them on my head or if it's my sensitive ears. Probably going to upgrade to the new HE-560s soon, going by reviews they improved on the comfort quite a bit. Although that's true for the revised 400s as well, but if I'm buying new headphones I might as well take a step forward.

Deques

Finally sold my DR2 Complete to someone and got keys back. I even got half key more for it. In total 5 keys.
I warned this guy about the lock, and also that I won't trade back keys if the gift didn't redeem.
I kinda feel bad for him. Am I a bad guy?

Medieval II: Total War for 99 cents at Humble? Looks like a great price, how does it compare with the other Total War games? I've only played Shogun 2 and a bit of Rome and enjoyed them both.

Zafir

If sound leakage is an issue for you, then by all means. I just don't generally recommend closed headphones for gaming.
True enough. I've also got a pair of Sennheiser Momentums which I use outside of the house. Despite being cheaper I find my hd 558s just better for gaming due to being open.

Ezalc

Unequivocally. I can understand from a convenience standpoint where they can easily be transitioned from Console to PC.

Throwing out audio and build quality considerations, where the headsets are objectively worse by a large margin, the price points are just obscene.

Even in the lower and middle tier headsets you are already in, what I consider to be, enthusiast price ranges for headphones.

I get so passionate about it because I hate to see people waste money due to bullshit marketing tactics.

So you have a separate mic then?

Chariot

jkUJnq7mSiCO4.png

Shit, Mokoi just stealth gifted me animu stuff, but is not even online so I can't thank him. :(

Medieval II: Total War for 99 cents at Humble? Looks like a great price, how does it compare with the other Total War games? I've only played Shogun 2 and a bit of Rome and enjoyed them both.
I used to love Medieval II, but after Shogun 2 I can't go back. Everything feels outdated; the graphics, the interface, the whole gameplay, everything.

I would wait on Medieval 3, honestly.

Backlogger

Thought I would give DR3 a go to see how it is.

Really bad graphics, really bad performance and a crash after 25 mins. Think I'll leave it for a few weeks/months.

Sad how Capcom allowed this.

Rushed next gen launch title (that they didn't spend a lot of time making ready for PC)?

Dr Dogg

It's not just sound leakage why other chose to use closed backs. Some competitive focused folks use them as they are after more emphasis on lower frequencies that are better served with a set of closed over open back headphones. It's all dependant in your use case and there's no right or wrong answer (well apart from the big one).

It's like sound cards in vast majority of cases are a waste of time. Unless the game in question has horrible audio options or a bad mix you are better served with a separate DAC, either supplied USB or Optical and take the signal processing out of the big box of interference that is a PC. What's more disconcerting is that some people who strive for audio quality that use front panel audio. That's fed by a nice long cable either running from the motherboard or soundcard and passing countless other electrical devices along the way what is essentially an unshielded antenna and straight into your headphones.

Then there's the whole multichannel nonsense that's gone on for years. Sure Dolby Headphone is nice in games that don't have a decent binaural mix but the vast majority of the time even a stereo mix serves up just a good an experience. I mean you only have 2 ears so you only need 2 speakers and your brain processes the direction, movement and distance of every sound. Here's the old classic example of the virtual barbershop. Any old headphones or earphones will do the trick even the crappy ones you got with a mobile phone just as long as they're stereo.

http://youtu.be/IUDTlvagjJA

Fingers crossed trying that experiment will convince some people that you don't need to spend the earth to get good sound from your PC, even your console if you invest in an Optical external DAC. Depending on the impedance of the headphones you have you might need an amp as well but at an entry level you can pick up a fiio e17 for £60-£80 depending where you are and that will work with a PC or any console with an Optical output.

Zafir

Rushed next gen launch title (that they didn't spend a lot of time making ready for PC)?
I enjoyed it on Xbox One. It did have fps drops even on that version, but I still thought it looked good.

Unfortunately the crashing makes the game unplayable for me on pc and rolling back divers didn't help.

I used to love Medieval II, but after Shogun 2 I can't go back. Everything feels outdated; the graphics, the interface, the whole gameplay, everything.

I would wait on Medieval 3, honestly.

Thanks, I think I'll wait then. I would have bought it because I like the time period and setting, but if it feels outdated compared to Shogun 2, I might not play it much. Creative Assembly looks like they are revealing a new Total War game at the end of the month too, hopefully it is Medieval 3.

Mokoi

Banned
Apparently no one is buying planetarian on steam. Must be the lack of cards.

Feel bad for Sekai project.

Hey..hey I've been doing my part for generic animu shit!
Also, you're a cowboys fan Mokoi? 0.o

Yes I'm a fan of America's disappointing team.
Here my tip, sling them over your monitor. Doesn't cost a penny unless you have a laptop and unless you have a massive set of headphones or a tiny bezel they shouldn't encroach the screen when not in use. Next cheapest option is the infamous banana hanger as you can pick one up for very, very cheap and does exactly the same job as some $20, $30, even $50 headphone stands.

Oh my you are truly a gentleman and a scholar. It has never occurred to me to place my headphones over my monitor, so now my ATH M50's can be placed in a decent spot. As for the topic of using a good pair of headphones the switch from a headset to my M50's was one of the best things I've done gaming wise.

Bannana stands do actually make good headphone stands usually.

I really don't need one, I do have a spider nest outside my window so I do shake my headphones every time I use them.

fOHz8ZP.jpg

Haha, I've actually had that happen. I once left my Sennheisers on a chair overnight: the following morning I picked them up, but for some reason got distracted and put them back down on the bed instead of wearing them right away. It was then I saw a small spider emerge and scurry off across the duvet. I was not impressed.

I'm glad you posted this because I really need new Headphones, the Headset I bought last year is starting to crap out on me & makes me feel like I'm going deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom