• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is South Park: The Stick of Truth actually a good game? I know I'll enjoy the humor and other aspects, but I'm curious if the gameplay is any good. Game's currently $20 on Humble

Vuze

lol just completed destiny

what a generic game that nobody here should suffer

I feel bad for all the ppl who spent 100 bucks on that digital edition (hope you didn't).
On the other hand, it's their fault for pre-ordering an overhyped game. Glad I was right nay-saying once lol

Cheddahz

Banned
I feel bad for all the ppl who spent 100 bucks on that digital edition (hope you didn't).
On the other hand, it's their fault for pre-ordering an overhyped game. Glad I was right nay-saying once lol

Oh no, I got it physically and I can get $40 if I trade it into Gamestop, which I probably will do

BruteUA

Man, I have the best of luck. I was gonna get Hitman: Contracts from GMG while it was on sale. Only one I'm missing and I didn't get the Humble Bundle that had it. I was short .04 to get it entirely with Playfire credit. Decided to just go ahead and buy it with something else, I go back and it's out of stock.

Man, I have the best of luck. I was gonna get Hitman: Contracts from GMG while it was on sale. Only one I'm missing and I didn't get the Humble Bundle that had it. I was short .04 to get it entirely with Playfire credit. Decided to just go ahead and buy it with something else, I go back and it's out of stock.
Wat? Its digital tho

Mokoi

Banned
Generic animu shit, and weird that their are some processing errors. I've never entered this game before.

Edit: my bad I entered the same link twice for one of the games. Just pm me whoever wins #3

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ #1 -- MB-A00BBA5EAE08D676 - Taken by spindoctor. 28 entrants total.
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ #2 -- MB-EB48D293E12C984A - Taken by Armoured Priest. 28 entrants total.
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ #3 -- MB-A00BBA5EAE08D676 - Taken by spindoctor. 28 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ #3 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1410739873z1.png

BruteUA

Wat? Its digital tho

It's been happening during their sales. Can't remember the other one that got me. I wait it out to see if I can get more Playfire rewards, then decide to just go ahead and buy it with what I have before the sale ends, and it claims out of stock. Guess they have a cap on how many they want to sell at the sale price.

Ryne

So is South Park: The Stick of Truth actually a good game? I know I'll enjoy the humor and other aspects, but I'm curious if the gameplay is any good. Game's currently $20 on Humble

It is very good, and plays true homage to the show. There are a couple "broken" builds that make a easy game way to easy, but I still enjoyed it. One of the two games I played from start to finish this year without losing interest.
The other was The Banner Saga

MRORANGE

Also:

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for October (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in October Send me a PM to request.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th September

Games / Gaffers:

Farming Simulator 15 - BinaryPork2737
The Evil Within - Hugstable
Legend of Korra - Uzzy
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition - MRORANGE
Ryse - Dr Dogg
Alien: Isolation - Divius

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

i185Lny7C9aRW.png

Dr Dogg

This year really has been one of out of control expectations. Titanfall's community fell apart after a couple of months, Watch Dogs despite the writing being on the wall for a long time wasn't the game people expected it to be (I still love Watch Dogs though and I'm looking forward to the DLC) and now Destiny has a massive divide in staunch supporters and angry detractors (and that was even more bloody obvious what it was from the beta I played).

I wonder what's next to bring some peoples lofty expectations down to earth? My money is on Unity not living up to what has been said by the devs so far. I've not really kept up with it to be fair but I can imagine there's a lot of superlatives thrown around in their promo vids and what not.

Chariot

This year really has been one of out of control expectations. Titanfall's community fell apart after a couple of months, Watch Dogs despite the writing being on the wall for a long time wasn't the game people expected it to be (I still love though Watch Doggie and I'm looking forward to the DLC) and now Destiny has a massive divide in staunch supporters and angry detractors (and that was even more bloody obvious what it was from the beta I played).

I wonder what's next to bring some peoples lofty expectations down to earth? My money is on Unity not living up to what has been said by the devs so far. I've not really kept up with it to be fair but I can imagine there's a lot of superlatives thrown around in their promo vids and what not.
AC: Unity? No, I don't think so. The three games are all new IP's people put hope in to become the next big thing. AC is part of an already established franchise and will just regularly disappoint.

Dr Dogg

AC: Unity? No, I don't think so. The three games are all new IP's people put hope in to become the next big thing. AC is part of an already established franchise and will just regularly disappoint.

Didn't stop III turning people off the franchise. I really wasn't expecting much from IV because of the disappointment of III and was pleasantly surprised. Though Unity is a whole different ball game again with the crazy Ubisoft dev cycle they run and there have been some promises about new gameplay changes and world interaction that do sound a little too good to be true.

In fairness though I get that some know what to expect with AC and other established franchises but going with that rationale then you'd also expect people to be more cautious of a new game and the unknown despite how established the devs are. But here we go this year and 3 new IPs hyped to the hills that fizzled out eventually (though the jury is still out on Destiny in the coming months) and it seems the marketing investments paid off alright. I guess I'm just easy to please, well that and I am partially the lowest common denominator and an eclectic so and so.

dex3108

This year really has been one of out of control expectations. Titanfall's community fell apart after a couple of months, Watch Dogs despite the writing being on the wall for a long time wasn't the game people expected it to be (I still love Watch Dogs though and I'm looking forward to the DLC) and now Destiny has a massive divide in staunch supporters and angry detractors (and that was even more bloody obvious what it was from the beta I played).

For now AC Unity marketing is really silent in my opinion. By this time last year we saw significant amount of ACIV . But this will change soon ACU press event was this week so new previews are coming really soon and Ubi will push ACU marketing after that really hard.

Dr Dogg

For now AC Unity marketing is really silent in my opinion. By this time last year we saw significant amount of ACIV . But this will change soon ACU press event was this week so new previews are coming really soon and Ubi will push ACU marketing after that really hard.

You know what I was so fed up with AC by the time IV was getting coverage that the only piece I saw was the E3 Sony stage demo where the game crashed. I wasn't really that bothered about the game but I managed to snag a cheap 360 copy and was really pleased how it turned out (and the OT here at the time was pretty much dead save for about 10 people posting on and off). I got a PC copy with a GPU and was surprised at how well in ran in comparison to III even on my older PC. Though that faith of port quality was eroded by Watch Dogs troublesome launch problems so I was always going to wait and see how Unity pans out before diving in.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is there a loader for the original Rise of the Triad? I found loaders to improve all my old shooters so I am addicted now.

dex3108

You know what I was so fed up with AC by the time IV was getting coverage that the only piece I saw was the E3 Sony stage demo where the game crashed. I wasn't really that bothered about the game but I managed to snag a cheap 360 copy and was really pleased how it turned out (and the OT here at the time was pretty much dead save for about 10 people posting on and off). I got a PC copy with a GPU and was surprised at how well in ran in comparison to III even on my older PC. Though that faith of port quality was eroded by Watch Dogs troublesome launch problems so I was always going to wait and see how Unity pans out before diving in.

With next-gen only launch ACU should be god PC game and Anvil engine should be more optimized for multicore processors. But we will se you never know with Ubi PC ports. But i am sure that game won't be a flop, my prediction is above 85 on Metacritic. Yes there will be standard AC moments that players will complain about but in the end it will be solid game.

Parsnip

I think that Unity will deliver me a good game, because I would take a new AC game in a big European city even without all the changes they are promising. And then if they even deliver on half of things they are promising, boy oh boy. Unless all the changes just completely break it. :D I've also gone into a sort of media blackout after the E3?? trailer that had that
lady templar
(spoiler tagging that, just in case someone's even more hardcore blackout than me).

On the other hand, I have a feeling that Mordor will not live up to the hype people are building for it.

I beat Murderd: Soul Suspect a few days ago, hurray!

I just beat it today. Here's my impressions in case people are curious:

header_292x136.jpg

Good game overall, with pretty tight pacing. The detective stuff is pretty great, and something I wish more games would focus on. It was a little easy, but that was alright. My two biggest beefs with the game are:

1. Demon/stealth. It never felt like it belonged. Essentially, in my opinion, it was there solely for A.) padding and B.) to avoid the criticism of "it's so easy you can never die". I "got used to it" being there, but I can't help but feel that the game would have been better without it, or better if they spent more time to actually integrate it into the story.

2. Absolutely horrendous checkpoint system. Seriously, it's that bad. It's all autosave, you can't save manually, and you can't have multiple save slots. The game saves after main story events, but it's not consistent in what it considers "main" story events. I found that the safest places to quit were right as you enter a new area (or leave a completed area) but exiting the game anywhere else is the equivalent of game saving Russian Roulette.
2a. Collectibles are also a bit of a problem due to the "unique" way the game saves. I got most of them on my playthrough, but the game not having a chapter select makes it impossible to go back and get ones in "one-shot" areas that you can't revisit -- you've got to replay the whole game again. Because the game autosaves, it's pretty hard to maintain a save before a "point of no return". I just backed up my save file just in case, but it's still kind of dumb to assume that someone will either A.) use a guide on their first run through or B.) replay a completely linear, story-driven experience solely for collectibles.​

Despite my nitpicks, don't let it put you off on the game. It's a very, very good story-driven game, with a likeable cast and almost no "filler areas". It's pretty short (took me about 7.5 hours), but not "too short". It doesn't overstay its welcome, and has a decently satisfying ending.

Overall, I would give it a solid 7.5/10. It's a little buggy (which is the only thing stopping it from being an 8) but it's still pretty great. It's not $50 worth of greatness, but I would say anything at or below $20 would be a good price point. If you're into detective stuff (my personal way of describing it is a bit of a cross between Deadly Premonition and Ghost Trick) you should like it.

Turfster

All these favorable Murdered reviews make me happy.
It's still a pity Airtight games closed right after it was released.

Abyss Odyssey is now 9€/40% off on the Humble Store, for 7 more hours.

Dr Dogg

With next-gen only launch ACU should be god PC game and Anvil engine should be more optimized for multicore processors. But we will se you never know with Ubi PC ports. But i am sure that game won't be a flop, my prediction is above 85 on Metacritic. Yes there will be standard AC moments that players will complain about but in the end it will be solid game.

See the thing that III and IV both getting stick for not taking advantage of extra threads isn't really the case. They both spread their load nice and evenly across what ever cores you have available (neither takes advantage of Hyperthreading though) but due to the performance cost of some of their settings the thread communicating to the graphics driver takes a monumental beating. When I was first tweaking ACIV to see why I was getting 1 core loaded more than the other 3 looking at the threads the process uses the thread calling out the Nvidia dll was about 33-40% of the CPU load the process was using. With Unity looking more hefty on the hardware requirements (especially with the those large crowds) it will be interesting to see what the performance cost will be.

I think that Unity will deliver me a good game, because I would take a new AC game in a big European city even without all the changes they are promising. And then if they even deliver on half of things they are promising, boy oh boy. Unless all the changes just completely break it. :D I've also gone into a sort of media blackout after the E3?? trailer that had that
lady templar
(spoiler tagging that, just in case someone's even more hardcore blackout than me).

On the other hand, I have a feeling that Mordor will not live up to the hype people are building for it.

I don't quite know what to think as I kinda bailed myself after E3 though the talk that filtered it's was in here about the map size, combat changes, mission structure and so on sounds like a step in the right direction but so far most coverage has been hands off. The way I see it is that a pessimist is never disappointed so I'm taking everything I hear about Unity with a pinch of salt and will either be surprised in a nice way or get what I expected. Win-win really ;)

Mordor looks like it has some potential but I've seen next to nothing of it. Christ I've seen more interviews of Troy Baker in mocap gear than I have gameplay. Is there much hype on GAF for it? The Evil Within seems to be latest game some folks on GAF are getting behind despite being largely ignored the other places I visit.

guys I need help

earlier today I started RE4, it was working flawlessly, I exited the game and I turned off my computer. 6 hours later I turned on the PC and launches RE4, now it crashes whenever I launch it, the typical "Resident Evil 4 has stopped working" error window appears.

I tried verifying the local content, reinstalling the game, but I can't seem to fix this. the odd thing here is also I tried to check RE4 config file, just to set it as default, and I couldn't find the proper RE4 folder in the Windows Documents folder so this might be the cause for the issue.

I was wondering if anyone could compress that folder, upload it for me

What happens to Street Fighter 4 AE after the GFWL shutdown if I don't upgrade to Ultra?

Is it just useless after then?
If you're still using the GFWL version, yeah. But steam copies got moved over to Steamworks a couple months ago (and you can redeem the GFWL codes for Steam copies still, I believe). Is there a new GFWL shutdown date or something?

Parsnip

See the thing that III and IV both getting stick for not taking advantage of extra threads isn't really the case. They both spread their load nice and evenly across what ever cores you have available (neither takes advantage of Hyperthreading though) but due to the performance cost of some of their settings the thread communicating to the graphics driver takes a monumental beating. When I was first tweaking ACIV to see why I was getting 1 core loaded more than the other 3 looking at the threads the process uses the thread calling out the Nvidia dll was about 33-40% of the CPU load the process was using. With Unity looking more hefty on the hardware requirements (especially with the those large crowds) it will be interesting to see what the performance cost will be.

I don't quite know what to think as I kinda bailed myself after E3 though the talk that filtered it's was in here about the map size, combat changes, mission structure and so on sounds like a step in the right direction but so far most coverage has been hands off. The way I see it is that a pessimist is never disappointed so I'm taking everything I hear about Unity with a pinch of salt and will either be surprised in a nice way or get what I expected. Win-win really ;)

Mordor looks like it has some potential but I've seen next to nothing of it. Christ I've seen more interviews of Troy Baker in mocap gear than I have gameplay. Is there much hype on GAF for it? The Evil Within seems to be latest game some folks on GAF are getting behind despite being largely ignored the other places I visit.
I've seen some hype for Mordor as some kind of Batman Creed, but any of the gameplay I've seen hasn't convinced me, but I also haven't kept up with it that much.
They had a trailer with Troy Baker and Nolan North in it, we have come full circle.

It was actually somewhat amusing trailer, I'm surprised that WB allowed them to joke around a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom