• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peer Pressure!
Pls stop using Gaf on mobile... you are loosing essential info...

Also, sorry about your job situation Shadow :(
But I'm sure you'll land softly on your feet soon.
---
Had a lot of RL stuff going on this week. Finally could catch with almost 40 pages, whew. Gonna reply tomorrow though, pretty late here.

Only the important stuff had to go out now ;)

On that point; JaseC that avatar is sublime. She doesn't look creepy but really smypathetic :p

Ozium

I can't write a scathing review of Revelations until I beat that piece of crap. =/

Not even Raid mode is doing it for me.

npacsd.gif

Helmholtz

dota 2 i never play since i hate it and csgo is pissing me off because of esports chicanery mixed w/ salt
Sounds like the game is causing you stress. Might want to take a break or uninstall if you have problems keeping away :p.
I know when Dota causes me stress I just stay away from it for several days or weeks, and come back when I feel like playing again.

wilflare

the earlier discussion on headphones is really making me regret selling my AD700
any good alternatives?

I'm looking to getting the Philips Fidelio X1 down the line
but those Senn looks really gooooood

---

Helmholtz

it has nothing to do with problems keeping away
Okay.. then I'm not quite sure why you asked if you should uninstall the game. If you don't like it, then I guess so?
Only reason I mentioned problems keeping away is that I know a guy who got super addicted to Dota, and couldn't stop playing even though it was causing him a lot of stress/anger. In which case he eventually uninstalled.

What're your beefs with it?

It's just not any fun.

Every time I enter a new area I hope and pray that there aren't any monsters. My hopes and prayers go unanswered.

Every monster in the game is freaking huge, take too much damage, and have horrific hit reactions. Couple that garbage with an unwieldy dodge, a lack of decent weapons, and that first act boss. What a piece of fucking shit that was.

I'm fine with the storyline being crap but the characters are awful. Shoulda just been Chris & Jill. Instead there's one-legged-wetsuit, face-fulla-hair, a couple of chucklefucks that couldn't survive a Friday the 13th movie, and uh...Jill's partner? I forgot his name. He's Russian? Eastern European? Oh wait his nationality is artificial island city in the middle of fucking nowhere isn't it?
Wow I also entirely forgot about Red Herring. His haircut is a biohazard in itself.

Fuck all those jerks.

There's Raid mode but ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can already purchase and upgrade guns that I find in RE4 & RE5. What does RE:REV bring to the table? More guns? Might as well play Borderlands then because that game has a shit-ton of guns.

But I gotta get through this somehow.

antitrop

Just re-finished Bulletstorm.
3.5 years later and it still holds up pretty well both graphically and especially because of it's gameplay!
It's a beautiful game. One of the best looking UE3 games, absolutely.
Begs for a sequel so badly, I don't think I'll ever get over it.

The world and characters were more interesting than they deserved to be and the game set it up so hard. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just re-finished Bulletstorm.
3.5 years later and it still holds up pretty well both graphically and especially because of it's gameplay!

Every now and then the topic of "What sequel would you fund if given the chance? comes up. Bulletstorm 2 would probably be my answer.

Revelation's new characters brought the series back to the 90s. It' almost hard to believe how bad and out of pace all of them were in place of the series. Resident Evil 6 certainly has a dumb story, but it's dumb in the buddy cop/campy sense. Nothing particually laughable or offensive. The dialogue, character designs, and just everything about Revelations is gross.
conanoevil.jpg

Look at that piece of fucking shit, disgusting.

Plus Jessica and Rachel are offensive, Resident Evil has always had decent female characters to me so seeing such character designs was shocking.
What is this shit?

Cheddahz

Banned
Revelation's new characters brought the series back to the 90s. It' almost hard to believe how bad and out of pace all of them were in place of the series. Resident Evil 6 certainly has a dumb story, but it's dumb in the buddy cop/campy sense. Nothing particually laughable or offensive. The dialogue, character designs, and just everything about Revelations is gross.
conanoevil.jpg

Conan O'Brien, is that you?

conanoevil.jpg

Leon. Still 90s. Well... they moved him up to early 00s Sawyer. But yeah.

The whole series is like this. I'm sorry you're taking it more seriously than it is.

AsfaeksBR

Begs for a sequel so badly, I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Every now and then the topic of "What sequel would you fund if given the chance? comes up. Bulletstorm 2 would probably be my answer.

The ending basically screams "Bulletstorm 2 is already in development. Just buy Bulletstorm 1 to fund it, please". I did my part and bought it twice (Box and later on Steam), but still wasn't enough :'(

zkylon

zkylewd
conanoevil.jpg

Plus Jessica and Rachel are offensive, Resident Evil has always had decent female characters to me so seeing such character designs was shocking.
What is this shit?
lol

yea that's embarrassing

Leon. Still 90s. Well... they moved him up to early 00s Sawyer. But yeah.

The whole series is like this. I'm sorry you're taking it more seriously than it is.

Revelations has really awful character designs that are out of place in context of the series. Look at that wet suit for example, and how Rachel is depicted. The series is usually pretty dumb, but Revelations is really in another league. That "comedy" duo they added is particularly bad.

Revelations 2 looks a lot more like how I would expect a Resident Evil game to look.

Revelations has really awful character designs that are really out of place in context of the story. The series is usually pretty dumb, but Revelations is really in another league. That "comedy" duo they added is particularly bad.
In the context of a game where the good guys are led by Columbo, and the bad guys are led by a Comcast executive, with Chris Redfield's biggest fan and Conan O'Brien II as henchmen? I think it works.

What is this shit?
Quiet from MGSV is utterly ridiculous, I can't believe tons of gaffers defended that shit. Kojima is not infallible you know.

There are many bad moments but if you don't feel like getting physical copy of the game to snap in half playing final chapter of Chris's campaign I will be surprised.

Chris's campaign is incredible, the only frustrating moment is the running set piece in the final chapter because from my experience a lot of people are terrible at sliding when they need to.

Revelations is just a mediocre action game that people pretend is like the original games in the series. Much prefer Resident Evil 6 which went all out to make the most complex third person shooter and crazy set pieces.

Still, got Revelations PC during the sale so I'm going to give inferno a go and see how it changes the pacing. Still going to have horrible kill rooms where you stand in one place and kill dozens of hunters but maybe it'll at least make it tense.

In the context of a game where the good guys are led by Columbo, and the bad guys are led by a Comcast executive, with Chris Redfield's biggest fan and Conan O'Brien II as henchmen? I think it works.
I just don't think the character designs fit in within the series. Resident Evil 4/5 in particular have incredibly silly, stupid story moments but the character designs felt realistic and in line with the earlier games. In Revelations everyone looks like some low-budget syfy flick. If nothing else the designs of the women are completely out of norms with the rest of the series, which as far as I can remember as always been one of the few that didn't sex up every one of its female characters.

Rev is better than RE5 and 6.

My play-time says otherwise.

I've put 100+ hours into RE5* and RE6, and I'll gladly put even more time into them (especially once RE5 gets Steamworks).

But I'm at the 5 hour mark and already about to give up on Rev.

*25ish hours on the PC version, the rest on the 360.

I just don't think the character designs fit in within the series. Resident Evil 4/5 in particular have incredibly silly, stupid story moments but the chracter designs felt realistic and in line with the earlier games. In Revelations everyone looks like some low-budget syfy flick. If nothing else the designs of the women are completely out of norms with the rest of the series, which as far as I can remember as always been one of the few that didn't sex up every one of its female characters.
I do agree with you that they don't fit in with the rest of the series (Well, RE5 is approaching the same territory). But within its own game I think they work. It was a nice change of pace, I thought. But to each his own.

Rev2 looks to be a nice balance so far.

Miker

Chris's campaign is incredible, the only frustrating moment is the running set piece in the final chapter because from my experience a lot of people are terrible at sliding when they need to.

Revelations is just a mediocre action game that people pretend is like the original games in the series. Much prefer Resident Evil 6 which went all out to make the most complex third person shooter and crazy set pieces.

Still, got Revelations PC during the sale so I'm going to give inferno a go and see how it changes the pacing. Still going to have horrible kill rooms where you stand in one place and kill dozens of hunters but maybe it'll at least make it tense.

I just don't think the character designs fit in within the series. Resident Evil 4/5 in particular have incredibly silly, stupid story moments but the character designs felt realistic and in line with the earlier games. In Revelations everyone looks like some low-budget syfy flick. If nothing else the designs of the women are completely out of norms with the rest of the series, which as far as I can remember as always been one of the few that didn't sex up every one of its female characters.

RE bonus costumes would suggest otherwise. Mainly RE5 and RE6, although I guess only RE5 was made prior to Revelations. But yes, the new characters in Revelations weren't exactly good.

zkylon

zkylewd
randomly beaten call of juarez gunslinger

i guess this game was alright, i really liked the whole unreliable narrator aspect to it with like levels being played over from different storyteller's points of views and just how they managed to get a lot of humor and adventure out of it, that was pretty great

i didn't really enjoy the gunplay tho, lately i've been pretty uninterested in shooters and i found it to be more work than i would've liked. the duels in particular where kinda awful with mouse and keyboard so i had to grab the controller just to do those sections

it's a pretty decent game just not really what i'm looking for right now

i think imma play remember me next, i'm just going through short games since i spent the better part of the year playing unending 100+ hour jrpgs...

one of these days i'll somehow end up playing persona 4 lol

Quiet from MGSV is utterly ridiculous, I can't believe tons of gaffers defended that shit. Kojima is not infallible you know.
yeah i generally don't mind revealing or silly stuff but quiet's design is just lazy and so bad

DukeBobby

randomly beaten call of juarez gunslinger

i guess this game was alright, i really liked the whole unreliable narrator aspect to it with like levels being played over from different storyteller's points of views and just how they managed to get a lot of humor and adventure out of it, that was pretty great

i didn't really enjoy the gunplay tho, lately i've been pretty uninterested in shooters and i found it to be more work than i would've liked. the duels in particular where kinda awful with mouse and keyboard so i had to grab the controller just to do those sections

it's a pretty decent game just not really what i'm looking for right now

i think imma play remember me next, i'm just going through short games since i spent the better part of the year playing unending 100+ hour jrpgs...

one of these days i'll somehow end up playing persona 4 lol

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is one of the most enjoyable shooters I've played in years. However, if you're bored of the genre, I can understand it not being your thing.

Enjoy Remember Me. The gameplay isn't great, but there's a lot to admire.

RE bonus costumes would suggest otherwise. Mainly RE5 and RE6, although I guess only RE5 was made prior to Revelations. But yes, the new characters in Revelations weren't exactly good.

There's school girl Sherry which is somewhat gross but otherwise they're still pretty down to earth in RE6. Don't remember what you unlock in RE5. If nothing else, in context of the main game the difference is dramatic. Especially in RE6 where you can't bring costumes into story mode without mods.

Sherry
Hand on hips posture of the render is a bit silly but otherwise that looks pretty tasteful.

Helena
Compared to Jessica

Or Rachel

Sherry is in RE2 but she is pretty much a new character, and Helena certainly is so compared to what Revelations introduced the difference is very apparent.

zkylon

zkylewd
i just can't believe a designer found those characters sexy

edit: also i remember the bonus costumes getting pretty raunchy in re5 for both sheva and chris. but i dunno if they're bonus costumes i don't really mind it too much as i can just turn them off.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is one of the most enjoyable shooters I've played in years. However, if you're bored of the genre, I can understand it not being your thing.

Enjoy Remember Me. The gameplay isn't great, but there's a lot to admire.
yeah i don't really put it on gunslinger me not finding it so entertaining. i did beat it, which is more that i can say about fear 3.

and glad to hear there's something worthwhile in remember me. i really like the sound of those memory arranging sections

oipic

Confession: I've never played a Resident Evil game.
Just never found the right place and time to jump in, I guess.

So many of you here are so passionate (for and sometimes against) each title in the series, that I'm really starting to think that I've dearly missed out on something here.

Where would be a good place to start for someone new to the series?

Milamber

Confession: I've never played a Resident Evil game.
Just never found the right place and time to jump in, I guess.

So many of you here are so passionate (for and sometimes against) each title in the series, that I'm really starting to think that I've dearly missed out on something here.

Where would be a good place to start for someone new to the series?

Not even the first one on PS1? How did you avoid it? I suggest not starting at all since the series is all over the place in terms of availability. But RE4 is pretty good by itself. So you can try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom