• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDirk

Am I going to have to email steam support yo have them clear out the games in the cart of my mobile app? I appreciate the attempts to curb my impulse buys but c'mon bros.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Oh wow, I just discovered that I completely skipped Leliana in Dragon Age Origins. I just finished The Urn of The Sacred Ashes, and reading the page on the wiki showed some Leliana interventions. Turns out
she's the 3rd companion you can get, right in the first city you visit after Flemeth saves you
. I thought she would join me later in the story. Problem is, I can't get to Lothering anymore, so I guess she's gone forever or until I can get there.

Man, Wii U is really making me not visit neogaf as much as before. Missed the thread and you guys.

PS: guys,
buy a wii u. excellent console.

I just bought Wii U and it is indeed pretty awesome, but I'm playing a 3D Mario game that has a run button, and it's got me in an existentialist stupor.
rofl.
In my case, the Wii U came with New Super Mario U+Luigi U, which is a really boring game, honestly. It is fun to play with friend though, just because of the possibilities of making them die :p(to clarify, i wasnt doing it. i was the one being killed by a friend)
Got Rayman Legends and DKC:TF. LOVING Legends so much. Wish Ubi focused more on this type of game. Still need to play Donkey Kong.
Oh, and i bought Wonderful 101 on the Eshop. I just cant believe this game didnt win GOTY or something like that. Excellent game, deserved way more praise.

Zeliard

I just bought Wii U and it is indeed pretty awesome, but I'm playing a 3D Mario game that has a run button, and it's got me in an existentialist stupor.

rtcn63

I never liked that in the recent Mario games. Just an extra button to hold down at all times, why not let momentum do its thing as before?

Uzzy

Gdmg4II.png

So, that's Remember Me finished. What an interesting setting the guys at Dontnod have created, and then proceeded to strap a rather average combat system to. So much potential that will never be used up, sadly. Unless the Squeenix execs get their memories changed, of course.

I'm a big cyberpunk fan (who'd have guessed), so the setting of Remember Me is right up my alley, but there's a distinct lack of exploring the central conceit of the setting, namely the memory editing technology. What does that do to society? Are people striving to achieve things now, or are they just downloading memories of already successful people and living vicariously through others? There's never any angst about Nilin about her actions basically robbing people of their free will through people's memories, and fundamentally altering people's character. Some exploration of those issues would have been very interesting to see. (Ending Spoilers)
There's also not much made of the fact that Edge is an AI. You'd have thought that might have been a bigger shock than it was. New intelligent life being created and barely a passing comment from Nilin.

Graphically the game is gorgeous. I adored the art style used throughout the game. No complaints there. You've got your classic cyberpunk mix of grotty, decaying underbelly next to extravagant, glistening skyrises, as well as a really good looking cyberspace environment.

As for the gameplay, well, the memory remixes are the clear highmarks of the game, but you only get four of them! Combat itself is rather frustrating, as I found it rather hard to pull off combos in a large group. Nilin seems to have a mind of her own as to who she targets, and to the best of my knowledge, combos can't be extended onto new opponents. Some of the later enemy types, such as the Elite Enforcer who can't be hit without taking damage, only add to the frustration. The sensen special powers are rather fun to use though, which is nice.

Man, I sound really down on the game. So what did I actually like about the game? Well, the setting was really quite interesting, even if we barely dipped our toes into it. The combat, while frustrating, was serviceable enough to keep me going through the story. And of course, the aesthetic of the game was really quite fantastic. It's a solid enough game all round. I wouldn't recommend it at full price, but when it's on sale, you should definitely get it.

Zeliard

Hey! I grew up having to hold down a button to make Mario run. You kids and your analog crap...
:p

Well, I also grew up with 2d Mario games having a run button, but a 3d Mario with a run button is something I haven't experienced before. It's bizarre. It's bizarre like that time stump did a drunken Skype striptease for the mod crew, which I recorded.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One morning Zeliard woke up and thought "you know what, my creepy ass avatar isn't creepy enough, I must go further"

Is that pretty much the gist of it Zel?

jblank83

Well, I also grew up with 2d Mario games having a run button, but a 3d Mario with a run button is something I haven't experienced before. It's bizarre. It's bizarre like that time stump did a drunken Skype striptease for the mod crew, which I recorded.

It takes awhile to get used to. Then you forget it's there.

I think it's a poor design decision. It's not a game breaker though.

Tellaerin

Oh god Salsa jacked Zeliard's account.

There's far too much capitalization and punctuation going on in that post for it to be Salsa's.

I'm not sure if I want to know. ^^;

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
jfcuyq.gif

I can only imagine.

All jokes aside, does anyone think it's possible that SteamGAF users tend towards Nintendo for console hardware?

Anecdotally I would say that if the discussion ever veers towards consoles, it's usually Nintendo related.

Asgaro

Anyone ever received this error after trying to purchase something on the Humble Bundle Store?

humbleerror.PNG

This first occured to me 3 days ago. (Sept 10th)

I bought Shadowrun Returns for myself. But I also wanted to buy it as a gift.
Humble Bundle store capabilities is so barebones you have to do this in 2 separate purchases.

The first purchase for own use worked perfectly.
The second purchase always throws me this error.

What I tried afterwards:
- waited a bit
- cleared all humblebundle.com cookies
- tried the next day

Since I still kept getting it, I contacted support and this is the response:

humblesupport.PNG

Because their store system can't handle the same game twice, I look like I'm frauding lmao.
(Luckily I could still purchase the new Humble Bundle. It seems those are separate systems.)

Sadly I am unable to lift the fraud protection, but we are looking into improvements in the future.
Wat is dis?

I suggest you try back later with a different payment processor and the order may be able to go through.
The only other option is by credit card and I don't have that nor do I need it.

So the guy didn't even provide to help, even though the error message - and the e-mail I receive after a failed purchase - state: "Please contact us and we can help you make your purchase!"

2oBmP5E.gif

Quoting myself to update this story. Since I've read others also experienced the same error when using PayPal.

humblesupportupdate.PNG

Now we wait...

Turfster

So, that's Remember Me finished. What an interesting setting the guys at Dontnod have created, and then proceeded to strap a rather average combat system to. So much potential that will never be used up, sadly. Unless the Squeenix execs get their memories changed, of course.
Time to link this making of again now that more people have played it.
(Link for people that don't want to log in)

Also, it's in French, so don't forget to select subtitles if you don't understand the language ;)

All jokes aside, does anyone think it's possible that SteamGAF users tend towards Nintendo for console hardware?

Anecdotally I would say that if the discussion ever veers towards consoles, it's usually Nintendo related.
Well, i used to have a ps3, but it got YLOD :( and either the ps4 or the XBONE are not viable choices for me, money wise, and dont really offer games that i want, which is not the case with Wii U, with games like Bayonetta 2, W101, Smash 4, and several other games.
But yeah, in the end, it feels like the best combo right now.

Time to link this making of again now that more people have played it.
(Link for people that don't want to log in)

Also, it's in French, so don't forget to select subtitles if you don't understand the language ;)
thanks for linking the making of the other time. Loved watching it. interesting to see how the game changed mid development.

I'm not a console guy, but I have a PC and a 3DS. Buddies have let me borrow a Vita and a PS2 to play certain games, though.

gngf123

I do, seems like Nintendo platforms are the ones with the least overlap. Their handhelds especially.

I'll give anything a try though.

I kinda do (but then again I swung towards Nintendo's side before I was a PC guy). However, I tend to spend more time on PC stuff lately. But smash and monster hunter 4 will probably dominate my time once again.

I am a PC/Nintendo gamer. It's got the most and best console exclusives imo and I need games like Donkey Kong, Bayonetta 2,and Pikmin.

I also have a 3ds, I'm good on other systems for a few years at least.

Zeliard

I bought a Wii U first because out of the three current-gen consoles, it easily has the most released games I'd ever care to play for it, on top of glorious Bayonetta 2 out next month. And just in general, Nintendo and Sony by tradition and inherent superiority over poopy Microsoft.

I have no intention of ever buying an Xbox One. I don't care for Microsoft's business practices nor any exclusives they've ever shown. I fully intend to buy a PS4 for Bloodborne sometime next year. And obviously, for The Last Guardian, the game that will inevitably come out and be the one to rule them all.

Miker

PC and GB/GBA/DS/3DS and soon to be Wii U owner reporting in. Just waiting for Black Friday to hit.

Turfster

Thanks for that, looks pretty cool.

Yup, it's a great little thing to watch after you complete the game.
It explains the trouble they had, the various stages of the development process and why some of the mechanics might not be as extensive as they probably would have liked them to be themselves.

MUnited83

For you.
I've seen more David Cage games discussion on SteamGaf than I have seen Nintendo discussion :p

Vita masterrace over here, it's where I spend most of my gaming time, PC being second. Definitely buying a Wii U, probably when Bayonetta 2 releases, and a PS4 when Bloodborne releases. Maybe a New 3DS eventually, but I'm still pissed at the region locking and the fact that the EU will never get Rune Factory 4.

me0wish

Always had Nintendo + PC combo since I was a kid. Got a 360 late in its life with a mass amount of used games, and I almost regret that decision if not for Viva Pinata, that game is freekin epic, easily the best console exclusive. I might even buy a XBO if a sequel gets announced.

Hardly had any interest in PS exclusives after the PS2, PS2 is the only system I regret never owning.

MUnited83

For you.
Always had Nintendo + PC combo since I was a kid. Got a 360 late in its life with a mass amount of used games, and I almost regret that decision if not for Viva Pinata, that game is freekin epic, easily the best console exclusive. I might even buy a XBO if a sequel gets announced.

Hardly had any interest in PS exclusives after the PS2, PS2 is the only system I regret never owning.

Viva Pinata had a PC version no?
Also, regretting owning a PS2? Daaaaamn. Still easily the console with the best library ever.

dot

It feels really weird to see Naruto on the front page of steam. Thought that kind of stuff would only be for the big popular games... Is this this first anime game to have one? :eek: it's kinda cool, haha. Still need to download it..

It feels really weird to see Naruto on the front page of steam. Thought that kind of stuff would only be for the big popular games... Is this this first anime game to have one? :eek: it's kinda cool, haha. Still need to download it..
I wanna say UNS3 was on the front page as well when it released. Maybe not. Not a ton of games get the banner treatment like that that I can think of. Metal Gear Rising's was pretty sweet looking.

me0wish

Viva Pinata had a PC version no?
Also, regretting owning a PS2? Daaaaamn. Still easily the console with the best library ever.

360 has a sequel called VP: trouble in paradise it added tons of new content, its the reason why I still have my 360.

PS2 is the only system I regret NOT owning, you misread it xD

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Vita masterrace over here, it's where I spend most of my gaming time, PC being second. Definitely buying a Wii U, probably when Bayonetta 2 releases, and a PS4 when Bloodborne releases. Maybe a New 3DS eventually, but I'm still pissed at the region locking and the fact that the EU will never get Rune Factory 4.

I've been rocking a 3DS since they were released but I don't really play it as much as my Vita (which I don't play as much as my tablet or PC). I have a Wii U that gets a surprising amount of use in my household considering the Wii collected dust for years.

I kinda/sorta plan on picking up a PS4 but probably not until Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III release.

This man knows what he's talking about. Viva Pinata was the shit and I would buy it again if they released it on Steam.

MUnited83

For you.

Naruto is a big popular game :p

autoduelist

I'm deeply vested into the PS ecosystem (ps2, ps3, ps4, vita) and mostly game on my Vita. I rebuy all my cheap steam games
that I never get around to playing
on Vita.

My laptop simply isn't built for gaming, so a console is perfect for me. I don't care about Nintendo properties (I own an unused 3ds and sold a wii), while I care about Sony properties (hype is generally tied to whatever console news you follow).

I'm also deeply vested into Steam due to all the sales and bundles. I'd probably be more of a PC gamer if my laptop ran everything smoothly. Even small games tend to make it run hot.

Christ almighty the Signal dlc for Alan wake ranks high on my list for the worst single player dlc ever. It's 99% reused assets and just about nothing happens in the hour you play.

Just as a curiosity, I start the Writer. I was going to leave it for tomorrow but I just wanted to see if it was equally as terrible. nope, this is legit dlc and more than makes up for the sign being terrible. What hard swings, Alan wake, what hard swings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom