• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice thread title change. Zeliard buys a Wii U, and this suddenly becomes the Nintendo thread. Not that I have a problem with that. I'll probably pick one up myself in the next few months. The other two consoles are so far too reliant on games that I'd rather play on PC.

Nintendo OT? You think I don't post much now... It'd really go back down to zero. :p

Ezalc

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Well the new one sure looks like it, though I can't say that in the Smash thread without people wanting to lynch me so nowadays I tend to not bother on that front.

Deitus

Nintendo OT? You think I don't post much now... It'd really go back down to zero. :p

Well obviously it would never go that far. I don't even post in the Nintendo threads that are already on GAF, so I certainly wouldn't want this to become one.

I was just pleasantly surprised by the amount of Nintendo cross talk we had in the last few pages. That shouldn't be enough to drive you away I hope.

Annubis

Fun with Origin.
Colleague's Origin defaulted to French (wrongly, great geoIP guys) but he didn't think anything of it when he started the Simcity download. Even after turning the client back to English, the game is still French.
Now here it comes: To change the interface language in a game without a single spoken line, he has to uninstall it and redownload the entire fucking game.
Origin, pls.

Hell, I live in a French place and I still want my games in English =/

At least Steam never pulled any bullshit with me after setting it to English.
Youtube however keeps switching back to French because it always eventually goes HEY YOU'RE FRENCH, LET ME OVERRIDE YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS FOR YOU.

Ezalc

You're crazy. Looks like a big improvement on Brawl. Demo plays nicely.

Also Mega Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZszrtCIDxU

I haven't played the demo yet, but I can't get over Sakurai's favoritism towards his own works and him being just stubborn about allowing for some of the mechanics from melee into the game. This comes from somebody who didn't even participate in the competitive scene of smash but sees nothing wrong with you know, options.

Zeliard

Nice thread title change. Zeliard buys a Wii U, and this suddenly becomes the Nintendo thread.

I also recently bought Mordor, Alien Isolation, and Evil Within for Steam.

You're probably asking "why? why do that?"

A good question, one I've been pondering myself the past few days.

jblank83

I haven't played the demo yet, but I can't get over Sakurai's favoritism towards his own works and him being just stubborn about allowing for some of the mechanics from melee into the game. This comes from somebody who didn't even participate in the competitive scene of smash but sees nothing wrong with you know, options.

Sakurai is incredibly dedicated. He sleeps in his office, works insane hours. He works so much he has carpal tunnel / overuse problems in his hands.

With that sort of dedication comes strong ideas about what he wants in his game, and it is his game. Guy is like Kamiya. It's his baby.

Smash U/3DS looks to improve a lot of problems with Brawl. That's all there is to say about it for now.

no, i mean the physical stage, with the real people

i'm referring to The Wizard. it looks similar to me

Oh, lol, yeah

Turfster

Hell, I live in a French place and I still want my games in English =/

At least Steam never pulled any bullshit with me after setting it to English.
Youtube however keeps switching back to French because it always eventually goes HEY YOU'RE FRENCH, LET ME OVERRIDE YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS FOR YOU.

Yeah, geoIPing on sites that changes language based on location is a plague, especially when the translations are farmed out to Vietnamese rice farmers that never spoke either the original or the destination language before in their lives.

Also, Sniper Elite 3 is so much better than 2 it's not even funny.
3 is a competent stealth game (mostly) that is actually fun to play.

Okay, guys, Real Talk Time.

I got paid for selling my body for science today. Since they gave me exactly one penny less than what I would need for Mordor and Civ Earth (on a pre-paid card), which do I buy?

I plan on buying either Godzilla or Costume Quest 2 for a friend after that.

I got paid for selling my body for science today. Since they gave me exactly one penny less than what I would need for Mordor and Civ Earth (on a pre-paid card), which do I buy?

Shadow of Mordor looks awesome, and I'd get that over Civ since I'm sure it'll have expansions.

Okay since nobody else is biting, I will. How exactly are they gonna use it? Are you gonna be one of those cool plastinated bodies in the Bodyworlds exhibit that gets toured around? Or just some medical student's cadaver? Or what?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hi all, been lurking gaf for over a year, finally signed up. just saying hello. i own too many steam games, but have only played a handful (vita is more suited to my gaming time, even if i love many a pc game). Right now I'm devouring Desktop Dungeons (played the alpha ages ago), and also enjoyed greats like Grimrock (w/graph paper), space chem, FTL. I have about a hundred or so games I really want to play (roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, tower defense, card battle, and tactics games top my lists) when time allows.

I've been trying to get back into pc gaming some, since Wasteland 2 is coming soon and there's a ton of other games I want to play thanks to the oldschool resurgence.

Anyway. Hi.
hi

All jokes aside, does anyone think it's possible that SteamGAF users tend towards Nintendo for console hardware?

Anecdotally I would say that if the discussion ever veers towards consoles, it's usually Nintendo related.

Nintendo consoles and handhelds are all I've ever owned, besides PCs of course. I sort of miss when I would trade consoles back and forth with friends, but ehh. Now that I've got a PC that can run most games without a hitch, it's not that much of an issue. Except for still not owning my own personal copy of Red Dead Redemption, thanks Rockstar.

One day :|

I just want to hear the rest of the OST already :/

Everything released so far has been mostly great.

Zeliard

Stump goes away and the other mods start messing with the title. xD

Looks like it's my account birthday.

stump had a Wii U long before me, and also bamboozled his way into getting it for $90 by maliciously abusing some store's rewards policy:

[12:38]  [stump] zellie-chan: two months before wii u release i spent $90 on $200 worth of chocolate bars, which due to a mishandled store promotion got me $200 worth of store credit; the store later had a promotion making the $200 equal to $250 in store credit for one day only.
[12:39]  [stump] no dishonesty at all
[12:39]  [stump] just stacking promotions
[12:39]  [stump] they had $4 chocolate bars on for $2 and had 100x the store loyalty points the same day
[12:39]  [stump] that's not my fault.
[12:40]  [stump] they then had a promotion that redemption levels for store loyalty points were boosted
[12:40]  [stump] that's not my fault
[12:40]  [stump] and they put wii u on sale
[12:40]  [stump] i did have to buy all of the chocolate bars they had, though.
[12:40]  [stump] so it was a weird experience

modbotstumpqqa0v.gif

Turfster

what the fuck

Newegg dumped their older voucher stock and the "silver" cards were actually gold cards, giving people 3 games including the big name titles. It lasted for a few hours, and lots of people hoarded lots of them.

Of course, I was asleep when this happened.

-Deimos

stump had a Wii U long before me, and also bamboozled his way into getting it for $90 by maliciously abusing some store's rewards policy:

[12:38]  [stump] zellie-chan: two months before wii u release i spent $90 on $200 worth of chocolate bars, which due to a mishandled store promotion got me $200 worth of store credit; the store later had a promotion making the $200 equal to $250 in store credit for one day only.
[12:39]  [stump] they had $4 chocolate bars on for $2 and had 100x the store loyalty points the same day
[12:40]  [stump] they then had a promotion that redemption levels for store loyalty points were boosted

modbotstumpqqa0v.gif
Not his fault.

Ezalc

Sakurai is incredibly dedicated. He sleeps in his office, works insane hours. He works so much he has carpal tunnel / overuse problems in his hands.

With that sort of dedication comes strong ideas about what he wants in his game, and it is his game. Guy is like Kamiya. It's his baby.

Smash U/3DS looks to improve a lot of problems with Brawl. That's all there is to say about it for now.

I mean working a lot is one thing, but that isn't exactly a good idea in itself and I'm not denying the fact that he's done many great contributions. I just feel like he gives way more attention to anything he's worked on and that he just seems to block a lot of feedback on certain things out of what seems like sheer stubbornness. It just puts me off from the game honestly. I felt burned with Brawl, I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.

iosefe

Also, Sniper Elite 3 is so much better than 2 it's not even funny.
3 is a competent stealth game (mostly) that is actually fun to play.

i agree with this statement. i'm actually taking my time with 3, whereas with V2 i just rush through it because it could be done on the easiest mode. 3 actually is challenging (stealth wise, etc) even on the easiest settings

modbotstumpqqa0v.gif

That wasn't his fault. xD

KingDirk

The fact Super Meat Boy is so often bundled or on sale has discouraged me from just going ahead and taking the plunge. If I'm going to get punished by a game like I know it will punish me I am going to at least assuage my ego by not paying full price.

Turfster

i agree with this statement. i'm actually taking my time with 3, whereas with V2 i just rush through it because it could be done on the easiest mode. 3 actually is challenging (stealth wise, etc) even on the easiest settings
Some of the side objectives are kinda... silly for a game where you don't want to be noticed, tho.
"Now blow up ALL the trucks." "Wait, what?"

Corpekata

Banned
The fact Super Meat Boy is so often bundled or on sale has discouraged me from just going ahead and taking the plunge. If I'm going to get punished by a game like I know it will punish me I am going to at least assuage my ego by not paying full price.

Has it been bundled lately? Seems like it has died down lately. Even just general sales. A couple years ago it was everywhere but not much these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom