• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I am pretty interested in this stuff although if it's like what has been surmised (independent store curators on Steam), the impact will take years until we see how big a deal it will be.

My money is that it will be huge.

I'm trying to brace myself for the inevitable shitfit that takes place on sites like Reddit
("Why is my homepage all screwed up? Is there any way to change it back? I don't like the color, can I change it?")
and the inevitable shitstorm that will be my inbox with similar inquiries.

I think curators are a cool idea for Steam, and I've been lobbying to my friends at Valve that "the homepage needs to be a more personal experience" for well over a year. It sounds like this will do good things for discoverability too.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Don't forget everyone's favorite DJs/platform action heroes, the Rush Bros. A game like that wouldn't be complete without them. >.>
At that point we might as well call it "Super Turd Bros Splashdown" or something :p

First time I've seen this scam. I figure no harm done warning others who might not have seen it either. He was so polite, calling me 'sir', too.
gaE689z.png
That's quite elaborate, given the usual standards.

What is this I don't even

Ive even heard people say nasty things about SteamGAF, if you can believe that.
What? Why? We are such a nice individual group of *very* different and not alts people.

What is this? I can't find it on Steam.
Why would you post that in here? I got excited and ran off to Steam to look for the PC release I apparently missed, oh well...
You guys missed the memo where we were assimilated by the Borg Nintendo fans.

October is the month of the new IP AAA franchises. Some of these are looking to be fairly compelling.

Shadow of Mordor
Evil Within
Lords of the Fallen
Alien Isolation
Sunset Overdrive

Then Novemeber is the month of the heavy-hitter

Isaac
Pokemon
Dragon Age
Call of Duty
Assassin's Creed
Halo

Isaac is the only game I need for Novemeber. I think I will go with Evil Within and Shadow of Mordor, as I won it from modbot, in October. I really want to check out Lords of the Fallen, but it falls far to closely to Isaac's release.
You list is missing Super Smash Bros 4 3DS (it is made mostly by Scamco after all)

Yeah I laughed at new IP for Shadow of Mordor considering it's just Skyrim DLC.
LOL, well played.

I finished the "story" of Destiny this weekend and I honestly couldn't tell you any of it. If there was a test on the story after you finish it, I would have failed miserably. It's completely throwaway. I enjoyed the game overall though, as I like playing games co-op with friends, especially when there's loot involved. I didn't really buy into the hype to begin with, so I wasn't super disappointed in the game. Whatever longevity the game has is in its Crucible (team deathmatch) and co-op challenges. Hopefully the two announced DLCs will add something extra as well. I'll probably play it for another week or two and then I'm on to Diablo 3.

Grief.exe

You list is missing Super Smash Bros 4 3DS (it is made mostly by Scamco after all)

I don't think I was clear enough with my intentions. I wasn't merely listing games coming out those months, but splitting them based on a pattern I noticed.

October has a great deal of new AAA franchises, while November has the established heavy-hitters.

A new Smash and Civ game launching in October doesn't fit within the established pattern.

The GAF thread had Steam (PC/Mac/Linux), 3DS, Vita, PS4, and XBO listed.

Woops. I actually read the news on jeuxvideo.com* where they only mentioned the 3DS... and I posted the first English website reporting the announcement without checking further. My bad.

*It's the gaming-focused website with the most idiotic community ever. I go there just because I started reading it back in 1997... and I should probably stop...
If there ever was a condition called "comment-induced neuronal apoptosis" you'd be likely to catch it there (just read some of the things they say whenever they talk about the oculus rift).

I don't think I was clear enough with my intentions. I wasn't merely listing games coming out those months, but splitting them based on a pattern I noticed.

October has a great deal of new AAA franchises, while November has the established heavy-hitters.

A new Smash and Civ game launching in October doesn't fit within the established pattern.

Smash Wii U is probably gonna have a November launch, anyway.

Dolor

Personally, I am bracing myself for the Sept 23rd STEAM STRATOPOCALYPSE. The following strategy games all release that day:

• Ancient Space - 3D Space RTS based on story and single-player - looks amazing
  • Defense Grid 2 - The second Defense Grid - Beta plays great
  • Stronghold Crusader 2 - castle-building RTS - first game was really good
  • Gauntlet - Not really a strategy game, but one I am really looking forward to
Not sure how but I have managed to pre-order all 4. Luckily, I am taking the next day off from work...

Ruruja

I really need to finish building my new PC.

Attempted to play Lifeless Planet yesterday but my GPU temp went up to the 90s within a minute. Obviously not a greatly optimised game (and it's Unity) but I'm having temperature problems with most games these days, think my GPU is on its way out.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Seems like that, because if SSB43DS doesn't fit neither does Alien Isolation :/

Deitus

It makes sense. November has been the month for annualized franchises like COD and AC for years now. If you want any chance of your new IP getting noticed (even if a couple of those "new IPs" are actually licensed games), you want to release it before that.

Grief.exe

Personally, I am bracing myself for the Sept 23rd STEAM STRATOPOCALYPSE. The following strategy games all release that day:

• Ancient Space - 3D Space RTS based on story and single-player - looks amazing
  • Defense Grid 2 - The second Defense Grid - Beta plays great
  • Stronghold Crusader 2 - castle-building RTS - first game was really good
  • Gauntlet - Not really a strategy game, but one I am really looking forward to
Not sure how but I have managed to pre-order all 4. Luckily, I am taking the next day off from work...

Reminds me of the Indiepocalypse last year with Spelunky, Papers Please, and Guacamelee launching on the same day.

It was utter chaos.

The_Monk

[*]Stronghold Crusader 2 - castle-building RTS - first game was really good

Dolor, how is this game when comparing to something like the Age of Empires II HD or even AoE III? Is it similar or it's a lot different/focused on another aspects? Thanks in advance. ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Woah, how long's that massive Naruto splash been on the store page? Is it Enhanced Steam-related?

Nope, although other companies have offered to pay a substantial amount for similar advertising space, I've turned them all down.

RM8

Playing Hammerwatch with my friends (local co-op) has been one of my favorite PC gaming experiences, Gauntlet is going to be great! (I hope).

Turfster

Daily DCS World DLC 70% off
Midweek
  • RPG Maker VX Ace 75% off
  • Shadowrun Returns 75% off

Humble day 9
  • Walking Dead Season 2 11.5€
  • Company of Heroes 2 Western Front 6.66€
  • Assflag 10€ (uplay)
  • Mount & Blade Fire and sword 0.8€
  • Crusader Kings II Collection 16€
  • Gamedev Tycoon 5€
  • Darksiders II 6€
  • Risk of Rain 2€
  • Pixeljunk Shooter 1.1€
  • Age of Empires II HD 4.74€
  • Cubetractor 0.8€
  • Dungeon Dashers 6€
  • Gnomoria 1.6€
  • Jet Set Radio 1€
  • Strike Suit Infinity 1.09€
  • Where is my heart 6€
  • Full Mojo Rampage 6€
  • Halfway 9€
  • Whispered World Special Edition 5€

Grief.exe

Seems like that, because if SSB43DS doesn't fit neither does Alien Isolation :/

Alien Isolation is a brand new franchise from Creative Assembly in a relatively niche genre. Smash was sold out in Japan within 24 hours.

I can concede that Aliens is an established IP, but for this discussion I chose to label it as a new video game franchise.

It makes sense. November has been the month for annualized franchises like COD and AC for years now. If you want any chance of your new IP getting noticed (even if a couple of those "new IPs" are actually licensed games), you want to release it before that.

I wish Evil Within had launched in August as originally planned, or at least in September. I don't blame 2K for pushing Evolve to 2015.

Dolor

Reminds me of the Indiepocalypse last year with Spelunky, Papers Please, and Guacamelee launching on the same day.

It was utter chaos.

That is where I got the inspiration for the name for it :).

Dolor, how is this game when comparing to something like the Age of Empires II HD or even AoE III? Is it similar or it's a lot different/focused on another aspects? Thanks in advance. ;)

It is fairly similar, but I think SC2 is more focused on building a castle/stronghold so is a little more defensive in nature and a little less focused on tech/economy but there is still some of that too. Still the same ultimate goals as AoE2 etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Steam/Recently Updated said:
Rogue has joined Marvel Heroes 2015! Steal over 90 powers from friends and foes alike!

R.I.P. in peace, Rhaknar.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I played a little of Civ Revolutions lol...

edit: I don't see it anywhere on the store :(

That's a good thing. Revolution is garbage.

New Bundle :D

Indie Jam 4 Bundle 2.49$
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/indie-jam-4-bundle/

Akane the Kunoichi
They Breathe
Mini Motor Racing EVO
Ichi
Rhythm Destruction
Oozi: Earth Adventure
Oknytt
Hammerfight
SOL: Exodus
GEARCRACK Arena

I suppose I should actually buy this just to own Akane after having given it away before, along with finally picking up They Breathe. I remember one of the devs being really nice and giving away a bunch of codes in one of the Steam threads.

Hmmm SteamWorld Heist announced for 3DS: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/16/steamworld-heist-announced-for-spring-2015-release

I just finished SteamWorld Dig and I liked it... I guess we could expect it to hit Steam at some point!

So the steam Gaf plays thread was actually a marketing ploy, huh, Arthea? :|

no discount on Dragonfall? Come on man....
People that bought the dlc get the standalone for free, so it's understandable why it's not discounted.

Volimar

So disappointed in people's impressions of the story mode of Destiny. It looks to be pretty short and just sets up the foundation for throngs and throngs of paid DLC. Boo, Bungie.

R.I.P. in peace, Rhaknar.

My Rogue is already level 59 and I love her!

jshackles

anyone knows what time steam is gonna enable the new currencies?

Most likely it'll be done in about 6 hours when their weekly maintenance / downtime is scheduled.

To the Moon has transcended its RPG Maker Game status... it's not listed as part of the RPG Maker midweek sale.

obligatory "is shadowrun returns worth it?" post

Wait for the standalone version of the Dragonfall DLC, releasing later this week. It will be worth full price, even when compared to SR at sale price.

Coldblooded sale by Harebrained Studios. Edit: Nevermind, the store page makes note of the imminent Dragonfall Standalone release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's a good thing. Revolution is garbage.

No it isn't. It's a less complicated Civ and that's a decent thing for new players and people that don't need to micromanage so much bullshit.

I say that with love to Civ and SMAC, but they can get bogged down by having to worry about religion/etc. in addition to your other duties.

The_Monk

It is fairly similar, but I think SC2 is more focused on building a castle/stronghold so is a little more defensive in nature and a little less focused on tech/economy but there is still some of that too. Still the same ultimate goals as AoE2 etc.

Seems interesting, thanks for answering, I will keep my eyes open for some proper gameplay to see more of it.

Also, Shadowrun Returns on sale is a must for that price, in my opinion, loved the mood of the game and it's a great fit for those rainy days while gathering some quests in the city, watching those small raindrops. The art is quite interesting too.

Shadownet

Banned
That bad?

No my friend. That mediocre. If you had such high hope for it. Its best if you don't play it. It will kill your hype so fast.

If it come to Steam I will only buy it if it was $5.

The story and writing are terrible, the gameplay is solid and the crucible is average really. Nothing interesting.

autoduelist

Absolutely. It has a nice name and looks good in your library list. Every time you see it you'll get nice little nostalgia vibes as you think to yourself "I should get to that some day". You'll also get much enjoyment over the years every time there's a sale and you go to buy it only to find the magical green bar that says you already own it. All in all, a superior backlog purchase, A+, would accidentally buy again.

games didn't seem like my cup of tea but I'm sure someone else will find some joy in them

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pyroclastic:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pyroclastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Scratches: Director's Cut -- MB-FD65C94A822F3990 - Taken by Jawmuncher. 2 entrants total.
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals -- MB-961688739649212C - Taken by crazyrabbits. 4 entrants total.
Post Mortem -- MB-65BD941AD43EEAF0 - Taken by Evrain. 2 entrants total.

t1410898219z1.png

jshackles

So no new Steam Store today :(

If it's going to happen, it's most likely going to happen after the store goes down for maintenance later today.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (davepoobond, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Receiver -- MB-0A999386D3D0D295 - Taken by deadflower81. 1 entrants total.

t1410898399z1.png

extra Receiver that i got accidentally from the humble store. can't let it go to waste, i guess

Tellaerin

Absolutely. It has a nice name and looks good in your library list. Every time you see it you'll get nice little nostalgia vibes as you think to yourself "I should get to that some day". You'll also get much enjoyment over the years every time there's a sale and you go to buy it only to find the magical green bar that says you already own it. All in all, a superior backlog purchase, A+, would accidentally buy again.

Hey now. I actually downloaded it and got as far as the title screen before promising myself I'd get back to it as soon I finished some other stuff. >.>

AHA-Lambda

At that price absolutely.

Only caveat I give is the endgame has a hell of a difficulty spike, make sure you're prepared or you could screw yourself over (I found this in both the base game and DLC personally).

Catshade

Still anxiously waiting for new currency implementation...I hope Valve treat us more like the Russians and less like Australians (sorry JaseC) :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom