• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They could add allowinrunin RU thought.

Theoretically, yes, but in practice, no, because doing so would impact existing owners who are outside of Eastern Europe, which is why even Ubisoft ultimately reversed the retroactive OARIC lock on Black Flag's RU/CIS pre-order subs.

Catshade

I´m thinking in getting Deus EX: HR DC, is it worth a shot at the current price?

The original Deus EX is one of my favorite games of all time.

Definitely worth it at that price!

If you're a Deus Ex veteran, though, you might want to play it on harder difficulty, the game's pretty easy by default.

what wil this new steam layout look like?

WtFINS3l.png

L.O.R.D

I've been thinking of picking it up. It's not extremely hard, is it?
nope , only the last boss is hard
you need to memorize his attack to avoid them
what harder is there is some challenges you need to do in all levels to get an item to craft
for example , some challenge require you to finish the level without been hit
or kill the boss in 1 minute

Teeth

mGaN5ZN.png

Appears to be the case

This is sort of apropos of nothing, but I want to ask you because you're the only one I recognize who knows anything about this stuff:

How difficult do you think it would be to write a mod (or skin or whatever) to the Steam client to log chat messages? Just write them to txt files stored locally. Is that level of access even possible on the Steam client?

If this already exists, feel free to point and laugh at me.

Don't you just hate luck-based achievements? I spent a few hours on Faerie Solitaire just to get the last of these randomly-obtained eggs for a "perfect game" status. It took me a total of 25 hours to get them all, and according to the forums I should consider myself lucky. At least it's done now.

Catshade

Don't you just hate luck-based achievements? I spent a few hours on Faerie Solitaire just to get the last of these randomly-obtained eggs for a "perfect game" status. It took me a total of 25 hours to get them all, and according to the forums I should consider myself lucky. At least it's done now.

What's worse is multiplayer-based achievements; nigh-impossible to get if almost noone's playing it.

I like Origin's Game Time thing, where you can try a game for 48 hours. I've reinstalled the Kingdoms of Amalur demo like 4 times, but still can't get a good read on whether the game is for me or not; but having access to the full thing for 48 hours is probably a much better indicator.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Steam store update though.

JaseC

Does that affect keys or just games bought directly through Origin?

I'm not entirely sure, however I would assume both simply because it wouldn't make much sense to have RU keys tied to a language-locked package but offer the ROW version on the RU store or vice-versa.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is sort of apropos of nothing, but I want to ask you because you're the only one I recognize who knows anything about this stuff:

How difficult do you think it would be to write a mod (or skin or whatever) to the Steam client to log chat messages? Just write them to txt files stored locally. Is that level of access even possible on the Steam client?

If this already exists, feel free to point and laugh at me.

As far as I know, you would need some sort of middle-ware to intercept these chat messages as they're sent to the Steam client. If I had to guess, this sort of communication is done over HTTPS meaning you would also have to decrypt the incoming messages which would likely make the client itself stop working (you wouldn't receive the messages in the client, only in the text file).

There isn't any API (that I'm aware of) available to accomplish this. In all honesty this would be a huge undertaking to accomplish something that could probably be implemented in the client itself (by Valve) pretty easily.

derExperte

I'm not entirely sure, however I would assume both simply because it wouldn't make much sense to have RU keys tied to a language-locked package but offer the ROW version on the RU store or vice-versa.

Right. Though they could eventually do what they did in India and do away with retail releases (while raising prices).

L.O.R.D

I like Origin's Game Time thing, where you can try a game for 48 hours. I've reinstalled the Kingdoms of Amalur demo like 4 times, but still can't get a good read on whether the game is for me or not; but having access to the full thing for 48 hours is probably a much better indicator.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Steam store update though.

i had BF4 with 160 hours , most of game didn't get above 50 hours
so , this is like full game for me

also have 48 H for Plant Vs Zombie

edit : i just noticed they add Security Code for origin , just like steam guard

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-28EEE33F76653034 - Taken by Shadownet

JaseC

I was wondering, as we are having Origin talk and all, why can't I see what games I have in browser, it's rather annoying.

Here is the feature roadmap EA presented in 2011:
originroadmapv4sre.jpg

Here is where EA was at as at March 2014 (crossed out = not implemented):
originroadmap2xbsxk.jpg

(1) While some of EA's mobile games requrie an Origin log-in, there's no actual Origin mobile app.
(2) Achievements finally went live last May, but there is no reward system.
(3) While you can link your Facebook account to your Origin account, there are no social benefits tied to this.

As you can see, expanding upon or introducing new features isn't entirely within EA's purview. ;)

PriitV

As far as I know, you would need some sort of middle-ware to intercept these chat messages as they're sent to the Steam client. If I had to guess, this sort of communication is done over HTTPS meaning you would also have to decrypt the incoming messages which would likely make the client itself stop working (you wouldn't receive the messages in the client, only in the text file).

There isn't any API (that I'm aware of) available to accomplish this. In all honesty this would be a huge undertaking to accomplish something that could probably be implemented in the client itself (by Valve) pretty easily.

Couldn't you just scrape the text off the chats web version on steamcommunity?

i had BF4 with 160 hours , most of game didn't get above 50 hours
so , this is like full game for me

also have 48 H for Plant Vs Zombie

edit : i just noticed they add Security Code for origin , just like steam guard

It's actually timer based, in that once you start playing it, you have 48 hours from that time to play as much of the game as you want in that period before it goes inactive. Still pretty cool though.

Arthea

http://abload.de/img/originroadmapv4sre.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/originroadmap2xbsxk.jpg[/IMG
[I](1) While some of EA's mobile games requrie an Origin log-in, there's no actual Origin mobile app.
(3) While you can link your Facebook account to your Origin account, there are no social benefits tied to this.
[/I]
As you can see, expanding upon or introducing new features isn't entirely within EA's purview. ;)[/QUOTE]
(><)
I forgot this chart, thanks for reminder

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Couldn't you just scrape the text off the chats web version on steamcommunity?

Good point, that would be a lot easier yeah. You would still need to provide said application with your Steam session cookie information. You would also have to scrape the page on a regular interval since the scraping application would be stateless, unless you used something like a DOM mutation observer in javascript.

So yeah, I suppose it would be possible. The original point still stands though, it would be much easier for Valve to implement it themselves. :p Then again, I guess that's what I do.

L.O.R.D

It's actually timer based, in that once you start playing it, you have 48 hours from that time to play as much of the game as you want in that period before it goes inactive. Still pretty cool though.

i haven't install them yet
but, the count start when i start the game for the first time , and if i close the game, the timer still count ?

zkylon

zkylewd
are you sure about no spiders part though? Even Trails had some spiders and it's as zky safe game as it gets.
i saw no spiders in tits so no idea what yer talking about

I would be done with the game already if I wasn't trying for max BP in a single playthrough.
I also talk with every NPC after every story event, god knows why... :)
Still missing god knows how many recipes and chest quotes, so no 100% this time if ever
you're insane

L.O.R.D

originroadmapv4sre.jpg

originroadmap2xbsxk.jpg

(1) While some of EA's mobile games requrie an Origin log-in, there's no actual Origin mobile app.

As you can see, expanding upon or introducing new features isn't entirely within EA's purview. ;)
actually , in game DLC is available in Dead Space 3

So disappointed in people's impressions of the story mode of Destiny. It looks to be pretty short and just sets up the foundation for throngs and throngs of paid DLC. Boo, Bungie.
Is this really a surprise with the pre-release arrogance they displayed and after Bungie willingly jumped into bed with Activision of all publishers?

i haven't install them yet
but, the count start when i start the game for the first time , and if i close the game, the timer still count ?

Yeah installing them is fine. The timer starts once you hit play the first time, and runs for 48 hours whether or not you're playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom