• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad it's at number 1.

I'm just pissed that this game doesn't have a story... I feel like it was falsely misrepresented in the previews. It feels very.... rushed and cheap. Gameplay is still awesome though.
Does it not? They make out like it does in the trailer that is on the store page.

Khronico

Man these RE6 chapters go on forever. Chapter 2 in Leon's campaign has been meh so far. Lots of dumb "puzzles" mixed with annoying enemy encounters. Hopefully this gets better sometime soon.

Arthea

I'm glad it's at number 1.

I'm just pissed that this game doesn't have a story... I feel like it was falsely misrepresented in the previews. It feels very.... rushed and cheap. Gameplay is still awesome though.

that can't be right, they mention story mode in game description, you mean it's outright lie?
Backslash would be huge, and I know that many people buy Naruto for story mode, me included.

Man, the Bridge is a lot easier than I was led to believe.

nah, it ain't easy, all games start easy, to catch you of guard later

Do you mind explaining what changed to the bad with DR from 2->3 that you say it is only a shell now? I only saw screenshots and some gameplay videos of the third and it looks like mindless fun. I never played any DR before that and with DR2+OTR just having had sales, I thought about picking OTR up once it's >5 bucks. Hope the region-lock for Germany is not that strict though. I read here that during sale there were changes, so I am confused a bit.
I could honestly write a whole essay about its shortcomings, so I'll attempt to keep it concise. It's as you say: it's mindless. A superficial imitation of the older entries to the series. In your position I'd strongly recommend playing DR2 first unless you have an Xbox 360; the first Dead Rising is still a unique experience that does not compromise when gunning for the true ending, but it's very replayable thanks to progress carrying over if you want to reset the storyline and it rewards exploration. Heavy on the time management too, which (to me) makes for refreshing gameplay. Dead Rising 2 by-and-large still adheres to the same principles while smoothing out some rough edges and lowering the difficulty a little, but it's still challenging enough while in retrospect serving as a competent middleground between 1 and whatever 3 tried to do.

Here's my problem with 3: it rips out everything that distinguishes the franchise from the pack to this day... or rather, used to. It's filled to the brim with Ubisoft carrot-on-a-stick collectibles or mindnumbing fetchquest missions, both of which end up being meaningless in the grand scheme of it all. It removes any semblance of exploration by pinpointing every little tidbit on the mini-map while bombarding you with further notifications on the HUD, while the lockers inside the many safehouses trivialize this aspect (among others) even further. Combo weapons and the skill tree make the player so insanely overpowered that you never feel under any threat or pressure; time is no longer an enemy and bosses (although nowhere near as finnicky in 3) are total push-overs. Survivors also no longer fulfill any worthwhile purpose; they admittedly had shitty A.I. previously, but them being so weak added an appropriately stressful layer and (without spoiling the surprise elements) the developers provided them some extra flavor on a mechanical level in prior iterations. The story in 3 is self-serious trite with constant tonal shifts and your protagonist lacks backbone: Frank West and Chuck Greene were charismatic men on a mission in 1 and 2 respectively, whereas Nick in 3 gets bossed around and yelled at like a defenseless puppy. The game goes out of its way to delay your movement at every passing wake, be it with endless back-and-forths that lack context, with driving vehicles feeling like a chore or with the harmless zombie blockades grabbing you a ton... EVEN WHEN SLICED IN HALF.

The list goes on and on. It's not far off from being a third-person Dead Island: overly reliant on busybody work, utterly boring and undercooked. There's cheaper zombie games that run better if you want to dick around killing zeds plus Dead Rising 1 and 2 are executed far better.

jediyoshi

The story in 3 is self-serious trite with constant tonal shifts and your protagonist lacks backbone: Frank West and Chuck Greene were charismatic men on a mission in 1 and 2 respectively, whereas Nick in 3 gets bossed around and yelled at like a defenseless puppy.

Just to clarify, the implication is that one is an objectively, inherently better trope than the other? What were the redeeming qualities of 1/2's story, again?

Just to clarify, the implication is that one is an objectively, inherently better trope than the other? What were the redeeming qualities of 1/2's story, again?
The storylines in 1 and 2 had clear goals while openly embracing the clichés that come with the terrority. With 3, the developers initially claimed that "psychopaths and silly outfits are bad for Dead Rising" (before initiating PR damage control) and it shows in all of the game's writing. Example: NPC's and even Nick himself patronize / insult you for daring to wear something remotely goofy, rather than openly poking fun at itself like before.

Momentary

Banned
that can't be right, they mention story mode in game description, you mean it's outright lie?
Backslash would be huge, and I know that many people buy Naruto for story mode, me included.

There is a HUGE backlash. Look at the downvotes this game is getting.

anyone here plays/played Metroid other m on dolphin and used a 360 controller? for the life of me I can't get the first person mode to work properly. I can go into first person but I can't move the camera around or scan things which leaves me stuck in the game. >_>

Jawmuncher

anyone here plays/played Metroid other m on dolphin and used a 360 controller? for the life of me I can't get the first person mode to work properly. I can go into first person but I can't move the camera around or scan things which leaves me stuck in the game. >_>

Other M is one of those games that I never got to work right because of the controls and being to lazy to hook up my Wiimote to the PC.

Arthea

There is a HUGE backlash. Look at the downvotes this game is getting.

Just checked, there is a story mode sorta, judging from reviews, only it's very short, and ya, people aren't happy, I don't know how anybody on dev team thought they would be happy.

Deitus

I haven't played it on dolphin, but the first person portions of Other M were motion controlled (pointer controls actually), so it's not going to natively map to controller configuration I wouldn't think.

There might be some workaround to emulate motion inputs with a controller, but I think most people just use a Wii Remote to play games with motion control.

Get kind of tired of reviewers doing write ups of games they barely put any time into.

Out of curiosity, which game are we talking about?

Chariot

Get kind of tired of reviewers doing write ups of games they barely put any time into.
Games journalism, mhmyes?
Tha's why I trust YouTube personalities like AngryJoe and Totalbuscuit more than gaming sites. I know they're not on the payroll and give their honest impressions.

Other M is one of those games that I never got to work right because of the controls and being to lazy to hook up my Wiimote to the PC.

its really frustrating because they worked before and now it just stopped. it happens a lot with this game too. Sometimes I can just restart the game and itll fix itself(ex: sometimes when I start the game it automatically goes into first person and wont go back to normal) but I can't fix the movement in first person and I can't scan so now the game is pretty much unplayable since I need to scan something to move on :( I really liked the game too(gameplay wise, not its garbage story)

Received a booster for OOTP15 and there is literally one other on the market.

This shit isn't going to sell, I'm probably better off just opening it and selling the cards.

Arthea

I'm not fond of this approach too.
That's why I check playtime of reviewer before reading anything, good that it's clearly visible, if we talk about steam reviews. Steam has some nice features after all,
unlike Origin! (><)

Tha's why I trust YouTube personalities like AngryJoe and Totalbuscuit more than gaming sites. I know they're not on the payroll and give their honest impressions.

I don't trust anybody on youtube, scratch that, I don't trust anybody! even steamgaf failed me once already
and I keep my laser handy, yes

I wouldn't be too sure about that. There is increasing evidence that publishers and indie developers are starting to see marketing opportunities through popular youtubers. Perhaps not the two you mentioned, but it's something to be wary of in general.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I don't trust anybody on youtube, scratch that, I don't trust anybody! even steamgaf failed me once already
and I keep my laser handy, yes

2014-09-17_01-08-38.jpg

speaking of which - can't wait for the blu-ray release!!!! :D

Lomax

VWAw3T0.jpg

You're all welcome.
Though I doubt it would have been enough to swing me to the BTA if I didn't already have it.

Tecl0n

Just checked, there is a story mode sorta, judging from reviews, only it's very short, and ya, people aren't happy, I don't know how anybody on dev team thought they would be happy.

AFAIK It's not a story mode, It's just 3 side stories that expand on some events. Which is kinda strange because, judging by the cover, the game has characters that are beyond story-wise where uns3 ended. I don't have the game, so this is speculation.

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/VWAw3T0.jpg[/IMG

You're all welcome. [spoiler]Though I doubt it would have been enough to swing me to the BTA if I didn't already have it.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

nice! (><)
It happens to all of us, all the time, but you have timely proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom