• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

Not even close. Come on, these prices aren't -that- cheap! :)

Russian prices are so low that people can bump the prices up by a few dollars to make profits while it still seems insanely low to everyone else in the world. I think the only economies likely to have pricing that low would be India and China. But I think there are other factors stopping Steam from having in-roads in those markets.

you don't know how happy I am to see a SG mod on GAF :p
haha I think I follow you on Twitter too :D

cheap enough to keep those folks on HWZ happy though - they don't know about the wonders of RU trading yet. :X

but I guess it's also cheap enough to help with some trigger-happy purchases.. lol. maybe it's just euphoria from seeing that we aren't being price-gouged... it will evaporate soon

I have this inkling it may just be a conversion mistake that Steam will soon correct

Tellaerin

Well it's a old hotel so...yes?

The stories I could tell you

Now I'm imagining you as Jack Nicholson.

In other news, I just finished my first playthrough of Binary Domain. I have to say, I enjoyed the hell out of that game. (Next bit spoilertagged for those who haven't played yet.)
The whole "robot/human hybrid" bit in the final stretch of the game really could've been handled better, though. I mean, I can think of ways to explain it in-universe - robots with artificial wombs, hybrids born with biologically-based picotech embedded in every cell - but most people are just going to hear "super-advanced robots having half-human babies" and dismiss it as ridiculous. So yeah, that part could've used a little more 'splainin, IMO. That didn't hurt my enjoyment at all, though.
Not sure if I should bother with a mini-writeup, since I figure everyone who's even a little interested probably already has it by now, but it definitely lived up to the SteamGAF hype IMO.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
hmm everyone on my steam friends list logged in at the same time, now theyre logged off and it says "last online: 2 hours ago"

weird.
Yeah, I noticed this happening a couple of times on my list this past weekend.

It says it's supported, but I have no reason to ever use Paypal on Steam.

I have the Paypal option from India. So if it's been removed, it's not pan-Asian thing. Probably only for those countries getting local currency support.

As a rule though I'd never use Paypal on Steam unless there was no other choice. If anything goes wrong with a Paypal payment, they will automatically issue a chargeback which in turn will cause your Steam account to get fucked. And then you'd have to go through the headache of getting it sorted with Steam support and Paypal support.

Yeah, I noticed this happening a couple of times on my list this past weekend.
This happens when you disconnect from the Steam network. Whether it's your internet dropping or the Steam servers going down for maintenance. When you come back online, all your offline friends will show as being last online when the connection was lost.

I don't see it posted in-thread, but PEGI (the European games rating agency) has Final Fantasy IV rated for PC release with a "release date" of September 17th. Not sure which version it's a port of, or if it's coming to Steam, but one would logically assume it is. For those who can't keep up with Final Fantasy numbering, this is the one with Cecil the Dark Knight, Golbez, the Underworld, the Moon, etc which you played when you were younger as Final Fantasy II if you were in the US/Europe.

1jWxnRR.png
Nice find. I'm kinda hoping it's the DS port since it's what we got with FFIII.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
i was all day out doing girly stuff to my hair so couldn't proper reply to this
Ok I'll bite: wat.

Not even close. Come on, these prices aren't -that- cheap! :)

Russian prices are so low that people can bump the prices up by a few dollars to make profits while it still seems insanely low to everyone else in the world. I think the only economies likely to have pricing that low would be India and China. But I think there are other factors stopping Steam from having in-roads in those markets.
Probably, but take into account that Brazil has at most 20% off the US price, while given the economy and rampart piracy should have pricing similar to Russia (the rest of the continent has similar problems but has US prices or higher :/ )

Still no Argentine regional store :(

To be fair, with all our problems I understand Valve's take on the matter.
Given the state of the economy and that dual exchange craziness, I very much doubt Valve will implement the ARS in the next several years :p

Suddenly seeing the Steam store in my own native currency (Philippine Peso) makes me double think on purchasing anything on the store. I can still use Paypal here, although I don't use that and simply charge straight to my debit card. It might only be me but the prices of the games on the store dropped. Considering we have a 12% VAT on everything. the prices are actually acceptable. Examples:

NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution 2195PHP (49.66usd)
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition 499.95PHP (11.29usd)
Metro Redux bundle 1239.95php (28.06 usd)
The Witcher 3 (w/ 15% discount) 1,223.95php (27.65usd)

Ok I'll bite: wat.

Probably, but take into account that Brazil has at most 20% off the US price, while given the economy and rampart piracy should have pricing similar to Russia (the rest of the continent has similar problems but has US prices or higher :/ )

Given the state of the economy and that dual exchange craziness, I very much doubt Valve will implement the ARS in the next several years :p

Yep, it's sad but understandable (though I don't understand why are we subject to the same region locks as Brazil when we pay USA prices)

Suddenly seeing the Steam store in my own native currency (Philippine Peso) makes me double think on purchasing anything on the store. I can still use Paypal here, although I don't use that and simply charge straight to my debit card. It might only be me but the prices of the games on the store dropped. Considering we have a 12% VAT on everything. the prices are actually acceptable. Examples:

With the exception of Naruto (which is still cheaper), those are all way cheaper than the US prices. Were they cheaper for you before or something?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yep, it's sad but understandable (though I don't understand why are we subject to the same region locks as Brazil when we pay USA prices)
Because "fuck you, that's why" apparently, and it pisses me off greatly. If we had the same prices as Brazil it would make sense at least, but as it is currently it's just absolutely ridiculous.

With the exception of Naruto (which is still cheaper), those are all way cheaper than the US prices. Were they cheaper for you before or something?

No, this is the first time I've seen them on these prices. We were pegged to the USD before.
My reaction was like seeing the google play store and legit purchasing poweramp suddenly because it was just a dollar.

Tecl0n

We must not even be a blip in the market. Considering the entirety of South America was around 2% of total sales the last time they released the stats. :(

Because "fuck you, that's why" apparently, and it pisses me off greatly. If we had the same prices as Brazil it would make sense at least, but as it is currently it's just absolutely ridiculous.

Nuuvem alleviates some of that pain, though.

Oh crap, seems that I spoke too soon. The prices on our store still doesn't have the 12% VAT applied on them so I expect that we have the highest prices on the SEA region.
is ultra street fighter 4 region locked now??
I always see it region locked on the store even before the currency conversions.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Assassin's Creed II is truly one of the best stealth games ever made

Never before have I felt like a stealthy stealth guy more than I have when replaying Ass Creed II

I can blend in so well with the prostitutes that it's almost like I'm not even there, to the point that guards will ask "where did he go"

Looks like someone from Valve finally realized that the puke-yellow color they had for the wishlist button was a bad idea. It now looks like this:

s52i8Ky.png

Which is much better in my opinion.

Well, it's a step in the right direction at least.

Whoa Manga Maker Pro is 75% off!

I was wondering why someone bought that :p

edited:
the game we deserve?

kinda want

Coming soon
This item is not yet available.

The game we deserve, but apparently not the one we need right now.

I don't see it posted in-thread, but PEGI (the European games rating agency) has Final Fantasy IV rated for PC release with a "release date" of September 17th. Not sure which version it's a port of, or if it's coming to Steam, but one would logically assume it is. For those who can't keep up with Final Fantasy numbering, this is the one with Cecil the Dark Knight, Golbez, the Underworld, the Moon, etc which you played when you were younger as Final Fantasy II if you were in the US/Europe.

1jWxnRR.png

I'm assuming this will be the same as the DS version. Don't know if I'll pick it up just because I already have the GBA version and I prefer its art style to the DS version's.

I'm considering grabbing Magical Battle Festa from playism since it's on sale there at 9$ but I wonder if they'll give Steam keys to everyone that bought it once it's out on Steam like they did with past releases.

The temptation is strong.

The potential card prices could easily make back half of that, not to mention the potential prices of backgrounds.

wilflare

that witcher 3 price. omg I'm tempted. can you help me bro (when I finally decide)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
reposting since no one claimed it. first come first serve

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (davepoobond, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Receiver -- MB-0A999386D3D0D295 - Taken by deadflower81. 1 entrants total.

t1410898399z1.png

Just a reminder for the raffle before I hit the hay.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xrayregime, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Monaco -- MB-AC0E70227BFF3949 - Taken by TheLight. 3 entrants total.

t1410927140z1.png

Haha yeah. I always under calculate the curency conversion. I usually think 49usd is like 54sgd

Canadian checking in. The Canadian dollar has currently been hovering around 90 cents USD. If they do a straight conversion from USD to CAD they might find they're exceeding psychological barriers for prices. Example: if a game is 9.99 USD, a Canadian might think "cool, it's under 10 bucks" (even though their credit card does the exchange rate) but if they see the same game at 10.99 CAD, they might think "I dunno, maybe I'll wait until it's under 10 bucks."

Of course the worst case scenario is that they jack up the prices to book levels just to cover the spread. "10 bucks US is 11 Canadian. But 11 is a stupid price to sell it at. Better just make it 15."

madjoki

Is Indonesia region-free from "AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting" and cheaper than Russia?

Russia:
nycuQyp.png

Indonesia:
SOTt4l1.png

Tempting price if there this is true and there's Indonesian traders.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
And I also have an extra Monaco.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (davepoobond, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-A581DC5184CFC8D8 - Taken by AHA-Lambda. 2 entrants total.

t1410934581z1.png

maty

Yeah that's bullshit.

We must not even be a blip in the market. Considering the entirety of South America was around 2% of total sales the last time they released the stats. :(
Nuuvem alleviates some of that pain, though.

Unfortunately we can not use the money made from trading cards in nuuvem. :(

Also even if Valve changes and supports ARG pesos we would still need to pay the extra 35% unless they put an office here which won't happen.
And add the new tax they are trying to put on digital stuff (3% which we know will go up in time) :/

Unless they lower the prices on the entire store then the situation will be the same or worse (see PSN ARG store prices).

Echoplx

Is Indonesia region-free from "AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting" and cheaper than Russia?

Russia:
nycuQyp.png

Indonesia:
SOTt4l1.png

What's the country code for the Indonesian store?

What is the Sub ID when you are on the store page?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Russia:
nycuQyp.png

Indonesia:
SOTt4l1.png

No and potentially, respectively. ACRTAG has always applied to Eastern Europe, South America and South-east Asia:

Wash_Dogs (Thailand) said:
Notice: Purchases made in Thailand can only be added to your library if you are in Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.

That being said, the notice is automatic and appears whenever the flag applies, so the fact it's not showing up on the Indonesian store means that copies are region-free, but I wouldn't expect this to last.

Turfster

God damn I'd forgotten how fucking shit the maintenance "puzzle" was in Gemini Rue.
That took way too long to finally get right again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom