• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks a Steamboy would be great.

sb53pux.png

Here you go.

I'll have to get around to purchasing/playing through Rev. You're playing through on Infernal, am I correct? I read that it's pretty excruciating even with the bits that you get from scanning. Good luck!

Actually I am on playing on Normal (I usually start games on Normal and then bump up the difficulty level if needed) and I have still died 3-4 times and I very rarely die outside of say, Dark Souls and Kamiya games.

Kiru

Yeah, as a result of Valve changing Free on Demand subs such that they no longer count as owned licences, retail keys and gifts tied to free games now count as +1s. I actually asked Valve if it would be possible to have all of Steam's free games added to my account manually so they'd count as owned, but unsurprisingly my request was denied, so at some point I'm going have to kick off the long process of e-mailing every single publisher asking for a key. I did mention in my ticket to Valve that adding the games to my account manually would save more time than humouring various publisher requests for keys, but alas this reasoning fell short of the mark.

Good luck on your journey... :p

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Yeah, as a result of Valve changing Free on Demand subs such that they no longer count as owned licences, retail keys and gifts tied to free games now count as +1s.

Speaking of that.

Is there a reason I didn't get a +1 when I bought the DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 DLC for DCS World yesterday?

It's not really important I just couldn't think of a reason :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A $30 season pass for Alien is just crazy. http://store.steampowered.com/app/324020/

Sounds like a mode I would hate. Love the store description too:

All Season Pass content will be available by March 2015. All content featured in the Season Pass will be available for individual purchase from the Xbox Store. If you purchaseAlien: Isolation Season Pass, all future content that is part of this pass will be accessible in-game once it is available. Alien: Isolation game required; sold separately.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good luck on your journey... :p

Cheers. ;)

Speaking of that.

Is there a reason I didn't get a +1 when I bought the DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 DLC for DCS World yesterday?

It's not really important I just couldn't think of a reason :p

It's just DLC. Owning DLC for an F2P game doesn't make said game count as owned, unless it's included in the DLC sub (but this is super rare).

KarmaCow

Overkill listens and delivers. Despite the post-launch blunders they made, they've done an exceptional job coming up with fantastic updates and ideas. Really, all that needs to be done at this point is to ditch the shitty RNG for weapon parts and make more than 3 weapons viable for Death Wish difficulty.

They've basically ditched the RNG nonsense for weapon parts since the sniper update for new weapons though yea, I wish it was retroactive. I've had Gage Pack 1 since basically the beginning and I have yet to get the Eagle Mask in all my playtime.

And primary weapons in general need to be tweaked. The Car-4 + Gage Mod Pack and snipers every so often are in a different league compared to other primaries.

edit: The updates coming up soon are pretty awesome though. The music in Payday has always been one of the best parts and the Hotline Miami + Free Hoxton should out in a month-ish.

Miguel81

Actually I am on playing on Normal (I usually start games on Normal and then bump up the difficulty level if needed) and I have still died 3-4 times and I very rarely die outside of say, Dark Souls and Kamiya games.

Good for you :)
That's a great way to test the waters. I'm looking forward to getting my ass kicked repeatedly and curse the game -- all in good fun, of couse.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
It's just DLC. Owning DLC for an F2P game doesn't make said game count as owned, unless it's included in the DLC sub (but this is super rare).

Ah, ok. I thought it would be counted cause the F2P games you own DLC for are not removed from your library after deleting it.

Not going to lie, but I was afraid once Destiny launched we would be getting a similar surge of threads like when TLoU launched, where everyone waxed it lyrical. The multiple thread part is true, but people sure as hell ain't praising it haha.

Never understood the whining about season passes. No one is obligating anyone to purchase that stuff. Just do what any sensible person does: wait for individual pieces to come out, inform yourself on what they are and if they're any good from impressions/videos/writeups, and then weigh the value of individual components that you are interested in vs. what the season pass is worth.

and if nothing interests you or it's overpriced? let the market show that it isn't worth it for pubs/devs to produce that type of content again, or work on making future passes worth the price that the market will bear. I mean, they're making the things because people are buying them, right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Never understood the whining about season passes. No one is obligating anyone to purchase that stuff. Just do what any sensible person does: wait for individual pieces to come out, inform yourself on what they are and if they're any good from impressions, and then weigh the value of individual components that you are interested in vs. what the season pass is worth.

and if nothing interests you or it's overpriced? let the market show that it isn't worth it for pubs/devs to produce that type of content again, or work on making future passes worth the price that the market will bear. I mean, they're making the things because people are buying them, right?

I don't like achievement lists being extended with shitty achievement sets for new modes I don't find fun.

JaseC

Ah, ok. I thought it would be counted cause the F2P games you own DLC for are not removed from your library after deleting it.

Yeah, I do think that F2P games should count as owned if you own DLC for them considering they behave identically when it comes to library permanence.

Corpekata

Banned
Just because people are buying things doesn't somehow make them good or acceptable. People are buying into ridiculous micro transactions in free games too. Business models affect game development, as much as some would claim otherwise. You can change things by voting with your wallet but also your voice.

Yeah, as a result of Valve changing Free on Demand subs such that they no longer count as owned licences, retail keys and gifts tied to free games now count as +1s. I actually asked Valve if it would be possible to have all of Steam's free games added to my account manually so they'd count as owned, but unsurprisingly my request was denied, so at some point I'm going have to kick off the long process of e-mailing every single publisher asking for a key.

I remember that there was a huge snafu about a month ago because someone found an exploit/script that would allow you to automatically add every F2P game in the Steam store. I thought that was part of the reason why they changed it - a bunch of people were artificially inflating their libraries.

derFeef

Anyone knows where I can get RE: Revelations really cheaper than what steam offers? On Amazon it's reaaaally cheap but I want it digitally.

JaseC

I remember that there was a huge snafu about a month ago because someone found an exploit/script that would allow you to automatically add every F2P game in the Steam store. I thought that was part of the reason why they changed it - a bunch of people were artificially inflating their libraries.

It was because some of the games, since they were considered owned, were handing out drops, which allowed people to create dupe accounts for the purpose of card farming. That users were increasing their game count and thus earning XP for free was by itself harmless.

Zeliard

humble leftovers, both are solid (play monaco with friends for the best experience)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeliard, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-4EF0C9E0A2EF73D9 - Taken by Perun. 1 entrants total.
Race the Sun -- MB-ED57E2E1121341DA - Taken by swx. 4 entrants total.

t1410981563z1.png

madjoki

It was because some of the games, since they were considered owned, were handing out drops, which allowed people to create dupe accounts for the purpose of card farming. That people were increasing their game count and thus earning XP was by itself harmless.

You need owned game to use community, so it might be also against scammers.
Considering they also modified some games to always count as owned that is given free as cd keys.
(Card Drops was fixed later iirc.)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, as a result of Valve changing Free on Demand subs such that they no longer count as owned licences, retail keys and gifts tied to free games now count as +1s. I actually asked Valve if it would be possible to have all of Steam's free games added to my account manually so they'd count as owned, but unsurprisingly my request was denied, so at some point I'm going have to kick off the long process of e-mailing every single publisher asking for a key. I did mention in my ticket to Valve that adding the games to my account manually would save more time than humouring various publisher requests for keys, but alas this reasoning fell short of the mark.

The former is that CS agent going out of their way to make it their problem, the latter is letting it continue to be some other saps problem. They chose correctly.

It was because some of the games, since they were considered owned, were handing out drops, which allowed people to create dupe accounts for the purpose of card farming. That users were increasing their game count and thus earning XP for free was by itself harmless.

Ah. That doesn't surprise me either.

Tellaerin

Just because people are buying things doesn't somehow make them good or acceptable. People are buying into ridiculous micro transactions in free games too. Business models affect game development, as much as some would claim otherwise. You can change things by voting with your wallet but also your voice.

I'd go further and say that you need to use your wallet and your voice. It's not enough that a publisher or developer sees their product failing to sell - people also need to tell them why they're not buying it to make matters clear.

JaseC

You need owned game to use community, so it might be also against scammers.
Considering they also modified some games to always count as owned that is given free as cd keys.
(Card Drops was fixed later iirc.)

The base requirement to use the Community Market has always been a purchase older than 30 days but not older than a year (thus ensuring the legitimacy of the payment method on file), and Steam Guard enabled for at least 15 straight days. Free on Demand games didn't count as owned for longer than a month but rather a matter of days, so even if they were considered purchases the point would be moot as nobody could have possibly used them to gain access to the market.

JaseC

The former is that CS agent going out of their way to make it their problem, the latter is letting it continue to be some other saps problem. They chose correctly.

I'm well aware of the logistics, thank you. It's called "trying your luck".

madjoki

The base requirement to use the Community Market has always been a purchase older than 30 days but not older than a year (thus ensuring the legitimacy of the payment method on file), and Steam Guard enabled for at least 15 straight days. Free on Demand games didn't count as owned for longer than a month but rather a matter of days, so even if they did count as purchases the point would be moot.

I don't mean community market. But community as whole, which is limited unless you have a owned game.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

JaseC

I don't mean community market. But community as whole, which is limited unless you have a owned game.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

Yeah, sorry, I misread your post. You're still incorrect, though: you'll notice that the FAQ you linked to specifies a store purchase, microtransaction or activation of a gift from another user. This excludes retail keys and free licences (well, gifts of F2P games would, I assume, actually count since the change to FoD subs, but that's neither here nor there).

Euro Truck Simulator 2 UK/Irish/Scottish Paint jobs are 91% off for the referendum.

What's the worst that could happen?

I get the feeling these have been made by someone who hasn't actually visited the British isles. It's pretty safe of me to say that within my near 20 years in Scotland, I've never seen a tartan painted truck in my life. They look seriously tacky.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 UK/Irish/Scottish Paint jobs are 91% off for the referendum.

I don't even own the game (yet... :( ...) but I can't pass up something for less than 10 cents. (Or three things for less than 30 cents)

EDIT: Welp, nevermind. I forgot that you have to have the base game to buy DLC.

JaseC

I don't even own the game (yet... :( ...) but I can't pass up something for less than 10 cents. (Or three things for less than 30 cents)

EDIT: Welp, nevermind. I forgot that you have to have the base game to buy DLC.

Buy them as gifts for when you have the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom