• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gblues

Banned
I have two coupons up for grabs. To claim, PM me a link to your Steam profile.

Coupon #1: -50%, Payday 2 (Exp. 9/29 12:00PM)
Coupon #2: -50%, Nidhogg (Exp. 10/1 11:59PM)

First come, first served.

Lomax

I have a question about Shadowrun. Will the original campaign get the UI improvements the Director's Cut is getting?

As of right now, no. It was already improved significantly when they released the original DLC though, and assuming the standalone supports the workshop still, I'd bet someone will port the original campaign over in some fashion.

Vlad

Isn't it more of a softcore Supreme Commander 2 which is a softcore Supreme Commander which is a softcore Total Annihilation ?

Hm, in what way was Supreme Commander more "softcore" than TA? The original is sitting in my backlog (trying to go through shorter games first), but I've always been itching to try it out, simply because I was a HUGE fan of TA back in its heyday. Of course, I was never super good at it, but I did enjoy playing someone equally as bad as I was.

Are the Steam versions of the Monkey Island games worth getting? Tempted to pick them up in that sale.

If you've never played the game before or don't remember much about it, then sure. It's pretty much the same game it always was, and you can toggle between new graphics and the originals. Most people who have played it before don't care for the new look of the characters, but YMMV.

Still think this is a bad idea. It will only pissed their customers.

"Fuck, this is a good bundle, I should have preordered" or "Fuck, I preordered but I have all the games."

Yep. Groupees bundles are too hit and miss for me to throw money at them without knowing what the games are. They should do some sort of preview video.

I'm not usually one to care about bad writing, but the dialogue in the opening of Alan Wake is so staggeringly terrible.

I have both Alan Wake and American Nightmare...but I'm not sure if I should bother.

Turfster

Both Alan Wake games aren't good? (I have it but haven't touch it yet.)

I haven't played American Nightmare, which is "better" by all accounts, but the gameplay loop of Alan Wake is kinda shit.
The enemies are all the same and keep popping up every time you pass by the trigger points, which gets very fucking annoying indeed if you're backtracking for stuff.

I found the game on lower difficulties kinda boring but on Hard and especially Nightmare it really begins to shine. It becomes less of a cookie cutter shooter and more a game about crowd management and survival. It's Remedy's own fault that they couldn't make it work on the default difficulty but I also think it's a shame that people are completely dismissing it because they haven't experienced what the game can be.

Of course there are also others that don't like the game on any difficulty, which is completely fair.

GaussTek

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but this upcoming RPG Maker game looks good!

It's called Rakuen, and it's from Laura Shigihara (Plants vs. Zombies composer, To the Moon singer of some tracks). It's about a hospitalized boy that imagines being on a storybook.

Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXJqi2KmhCw

Apparently, it's coming by year's end on PC, according to the game's site. It doesn't mention Steam specifically, but likely will be there (perhaps Greenlight?).

Alan Wake games are doodoo.

They're worse than doodoo because the daytime parts are kinda fun, but then the night time shit comes and ruins everything with it's boring terrible repetitive mediocre shooting gallery and stupid loud "spooky" ambient sound 100% of the time.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

They're very good, but they get a strange amount of hate. Alan Wake proper isn't shy about the level of cheese it wants to use, between the faux-Stephen King writing segments and the knockoff Twilight Zone show within the game's universe. Some people found that having notes appear which tells them what is about to happen awful, not particularly keeping in mind that it is all part of the larger picture.

Would a giant tractor coming to life and hurling at you be frightening on its own? Sure. But what about the fact that Wake supposedly wrote everything that is happening to himself? It's all a hint to what is actually going on. Whether or not you want to accept that answer is all according to taste. Wake is, by all accounts, somewhat of a hack writer. Many characters add on to this opinion. He's popular, but it doesn't exactly mean he's that good.

As for gameplay, I think the worst offender is that Wake has the athleticism of a 10 year old after thanksgiving dinner. He can run for a few seconds before he starts to tire which can be quite a pain to deal with in some of the longer stretches. It forces you into the dodge > flashlight > shoot mechanic a bit too often. The enemies don't exactly change up at all either, so the same redneck phantom you'll fight in the opening minutes will be the same guy you're dodging at the end. The sense of weight and place though is unlike any other shooter out there. Wake's shifting of his own body is one of my favorite things to come from a physical "feel" in a game since Max Payne 3's treatment of handling gun swapping.

American Nightmare ramps up the cheese factor but improves upon the gunplay. There are different kinds of enemies, the flashlight shield mechanic is much faster and at some point Alan ran a marathon or two. Gone are the beautiful forests though, get ready for flatter desert landscape. The
groundhogs day
-esque mechanic turned some folks off though.

There's absolutely nothing better about American Nightmare.

Alan Wake is pretty damn good.

Aside from the writing. Even if they're trying to establish this character as the mind of a poor writer, it's so crushingly and badly presented that I just couldn't believe it. The opening nightmare level is a perfect example of why "show don't tell" is so true. Wake's monotone monologue totally ruins the tension. Well below the standard of writing I have for even the worst adaption of a Stephen King book.

Probably play a few more levels and see if it gets better. It's really pretty. Too early to judge the mechanics.

EDIT: And even if the writing is supposed to be cheesy, it could still maintain the tension and mystery. Alan Wake does neither of those, from what I played. The writing singlehandedly undermines every oogidy-boog reveal.

DukeBobby

They're worse than doodoo because the daytime parts are kinda fun, but then the night time shit comes and ruins everything with it's boring terrible repetitive mediocre shooting gallery and stupid loud "spooky" ambient sound 100% of the time.

You mean the daytime parts that last about 10 minutes?

Annubis

Hm, in what way was Supreme Commander more "softcore" than TA? The original is sitting in my backlog (trying to go through shorter games first), but I've always been itching to try it out, simply because I was a HUGE fan of TA back in its heyday. Of course, I was never super good at it, but I did enjoy playing someone equally as bad as I was.

I'd say it's the balance between how easily you can get fucked over vs how much you can recover from a dire situation.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The Alan Wake games are fuckin amazing you bastards. Behave yourselves!

Can't wait for Quantum Break either, it may actually get me to buy an Xbox One....

but the game is literally about fending off the darkness. It's like saying that the towns are fun in a zelda game but the dungeons are all pure, unfiltered garbage.

The dlc seems pretty hit and miss, though. The writer is good, American nightmare is ok if not a bit repetitive, and the signal is flat out terrible.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah despite overstaying its welcome abit alan wake is pretty alright, specially if you're a max payne fan, it's like a goldmine of remedy silliness, i love it

too bad they added fucking spiders of all things in the dlc thingie

Grief.exe

I found the game on lower difficulties kinda boring but on Hard and especially Nightmare it really begins to shine. It becomes less of a cookie cutter shooter and more a game about crowd management and survival. It's Remedy's own fault that they couldn't make it work on the default difficulty but I also think it's a shame that people are completely dismissing it because they haven't experienced what the game can be.

Of course there are also others that don't like the game on any difficulty, which is completely fair.

I had a similar experience with the Nightmare difficulty, in that I believe it makes the game. I did have fun on normal difficulty as well.

Nightmare isn't that difficult for those worried, it's all about positioning and using your environment.

Ozium

While I have nothing against raffling off vouchers as it's easier than first asking and then trading imo we should consider using GARBAGEDUMP for them.

agreed. someone could easily give away nothing but 25 coupons and then they are eligible for megagiver giveaways?

shady

Bioshock Infinte has TF2-items on season pass too, for ordering it before release of Burial at sea 2.

I don't think you get those before release and they won't be marketable instantly.

On other news There's also Talk like a Pirate Day sale coming.
http://store.steampowered.com//sale/talk_like_a_pirate_day

Don't think that's supposed to be up, but it is.

Ooh 66 percent off on that monkey island bundle and it's an instant buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom