• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yeah that's different then. Supposedly they are changing the structure of some of the missions in the new AC to update your objective when you fail the current one, rather than simply revert to checkpoint. So if the guy you are tailing spots you, maybe you have to chase him down instead, and now you might have to kill him to avoid him alerting someone that he spotted you. I haven't been following the game that closely though.

I am 100% sure this is just some PR BS or the actual "difference" it makes is not really that big.

I still remember the AC2 interviews a few years ago.
"So. What about the fighting mechanics? You removed the block->kill formula?"
"Yeah. Sure. It will be far more challenging. Its totally different now!"

NIN90

captureyuj2d.png

SMH

Chains of Satinav is not Memoria's prequel. It is its predecessor. Prequel is a term for a sequel that is chronologically set before the title that came before. Like MGS3 or DMC3.

That shit just grinds my gears.

Deitus

I am 100% sure this is just some PR BS or the actual "difference" it makes is not really that big.

I still remember the AC2 interviews a few years ago.
"So. What about the fighting mechanics? You removed the block->kill formula?"
"Yeah. Sure. It will be far more challenging. Its totally different now!"

I suspect you are right. I hope that they have made substantial improvements for the upcoming game, but I can't say I'm optimistic.

But again, I wasn't trying to say "this time AC's going to be different, guys." I was just musing that it was an interesting choice of words on the part of Teeth, when that was one of the touted features of the new game.

Teeth

Ah, yeah that's different then. Supposedly they are changing the structure of some of the missions in the new AC to update your objective when you fail the current one, rather than simply revert to checkpoint. So if the guy you are tailing spots you, maybe you have to chase him down instead, and now you might have to kill him to avoid him alerting someone that he spotted you. I haven't been following the game that closely though.

It was just an interesting choice of example, considering. But yeah, simply removing fail states completely, without completely designing a game around the lack of a fail state would not make for good game design.

Ah yes. From what they have said, it is the dream scenario for AC missions. I am really skeptical about how they will incentivize doing missions "properly".

Like, what consequence is there for getting seen? Is it just a chase? And no consequence for losing them in the chase because you can just pick up a clue about their whereabouts from elsewhere (likely noted on a map)? Or what about just gutting them the second you see your target? Will the information you get from tailing them be for secrets? Or lore?

I don't have a lot of faith in the setup, as it seems to remove any consequence from any action. I wouldn't be surprised if when you lose them while tailing them, or lose them when they run away, just means they reset their spool of their pathing and you can just do it again in X amount of time.

It's more open in the sense that it's just more integrated. If the information is necessary to progress the story, I could see them just running the mission indefinitely until you get it right. In that sense, it's no different than if you failed and had to start again, only now you have to wait for them to get back on their path. It could almost be worse (in a time-wasted sense).

Well... Shit.
*scraps one of his prototypes*

Although this looks way too alpha to give any money for.
If they ask more than 5$, run away screaming =p

Yeah it looks very early from the videos... alpha, even. They aren't trying to misrepresent the game which gives me hope that it isn't a WarZ or anything like that. I have faith!

It is my dearest hope that they can make something great out of the game, though coming from a no-name developer is a bit of a worrying thing.

PLEASE BE GOOD. *crosses fingers*

SaveFerris

Neo Member
TF2 just added a Limited quality, which can now be put on the market place. So if you have a Bill's hat, earbuds, max head, or other limited item that trades for alot but kept it to not hassle with traders, you can now go list it on the market!

My hype meter just maxed out and broke when I saw this store page:

It's a game where you live the life of a Dragon, and it is appropriately named DRAGON THE GAME. It will release this month, though unfortunately it is in Early Access right now.

PLEASE BE GOOD. *crosses fingers*

If it ever reaches completion it will be, like, the perfect game.

I need to play this.

Jawmuncher

I'm really liking Murdered Soul Suspect.
My only complaint at the moment is how all of the cutscenes aren't in game.
I can always tell there's a change and it's just odd to me.

Deitus

Ah yes. From what they have said, it is the dream scenario for AC missions. I am really skeptical about how they will incentivize doing missions "properly".

-snip-

I really don't know, but I share your skepticism.

Ideally, it would have a structure similar to AC1, but with less repetitiveness, and more feedback as a result of your actions. So you would have to tail a guy in order to gain intel on your next target. If you completely fail to gain the intel, then you just have one less piece of information to help in your assassination attempt, and you wouldn't get another chance at it. Plus, if you were spotted, that might put your target on high alert. If you are spotted, but manage to track down the guy you were tailing, you might get the intel, but your target might be aware of that, and plan accordingly. You could also choose to skip the tailing mission altogether, and go straight for your target, but you would be going in blind.

But that's just rampant speculation on how I would like a scenario like that to play out. I'm not saying I actually believe it will work like that.

Am I missing something that makes the writing not god awful?

It's not even weirdly funny like RE4, or making fun of the genre like Darkplace.

It's more of a case of "if you don't get it, you won't get it". It's going after a very specific niche (Twin Peaks, Twilight Zone, etc.), and it nails the vibe pretty well. It might take a little bit for you to get into it if you're just starting, though.

AsfaeksBR

Amazing game.
It's not something really memorable, but it sure is better than what reviews say about the game.
And the ending is really good, so stick with it!

Deitus

I never really minded pre-rendered cutscenes, until I played a few PC games that used the low-res, ultra-compressed console cutscenes, which looked worse than in game footage. Why do devs do this?

I never really minded pre-rendered cutscenes, until I played a few PC games that used the low-res, ultra-compressed console cutscenes, which looked worse than in game footage. Why do devs do this?

It's easier to just cue up a video, especially if stuff is being streamed in in the background.

More lazy than anything, in my opinion. At least pre-render them at the maximum resolution that the game supports.

Miguel81

So it's the same jarring transitions as Lords of Shadow? I really hated how the image quality went from pristine to garbage in that game.

Edit: ACIV Multi... My god some of these players are godlike. No way in hell will I ever match up to that.

Turfster

Holy fuck the dragon thing got through greenlight in like 4 months.
Shame on you, voters, shame on you =p

It's a combination of a couple of factors.
As stated above, they can be used to mask loading.
Also, another team can work on the videos in parallel with the main game team.
Third, doing everything in them actually in engine while playing would increase the amount of things to be loaded dramatically, especially if you want to switch scenes or something.

As to why they're "low res", they're usually only rendered once, for console targets.

Deitus

It's easier to just cue up a video, especially if stuff is being streamed in in the background.

More lazy than anything, in my opinion. At least pre-render them at the maximum resolution that the game supports.

Right, that's what I meant. I know it's laziness. But it just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to put in the bare minimum of effort and render the scene in a tolerable resolution (I guess the file size would get bigger for higher resolution cutscenes though).

Edit: I assume when the cutscenes were created in the first place, it was done at a resolution higher than 720p. They then compressed the scenes to get them to fit on DVDs, and in doing so, they lowered the resolution to comparable with the rest of the game on console. They should have a master somewhere that they could go back to in order to get a version of the scene at higher resolution without much effort at all. But I guess it would still require greater than zero effort.

As to why they're "low res", they're usually only rendered once, for console targets.

Ah, well if that's the case, then it would explain it. It's another case of "we only give a shit about consoles, but I guess you PC players can play the game too if you really want it."

I wouldn't mind pre-rendered cutscenes if a lot of them didn't have the same graphical flaws as the game itself on low settings (pop-in, no AF, etc.)

EDIT: But the worst is when the pre-rendered video screen tears...

So I reached the 200 market transaction limit on Steam. What the fuck is that? Has anyone else filled out the info? I'm very weary about doing this on Steam but I have a lot of cards and shit I want to sell.

Turfster

So I reached the 200 market transaction limit on Steam. What the fuck is that? Has anyone else filled out the info? I'm very weary about doing this on Steam but I have a lot of cards and shit I want to sell.

Are you in the US?
If you're not, it's just a "I'm not in the US, I swear" checkbox and you're done.

Uzzy

Well alright then, Shadowrun - Dragonfall: Directors Cut is playable right now.. guess I can avoid that sleep thing for a bit longer now.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

FINAL FANTASY XV TGS 2014 TRAILER
just because we all know it'll come to steam EVENTUALLY ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

the message you get is extremely clear about what info they're asking about and why they need it and what they'll do with it. what are you confused about?

Kagemusha

Just canceled the Alien Isolation pre-order. Could publishers do anything more to encourage us to buy their games 12 months late at a 80% discount?

derExperte

If you want to keep selling there's no way around it. Well, you could make new accounts or wait until next year but I don't see the problem.

-MD-

Just canceled the Alien Isolation pre-order. Could publishers do anything more to encourage us to buy their games 12 months late at a 80% discount?

You're being timed to complete a level quicker than usual, it's content that you can completely ignore and continue on with the game itself.

That's what I'm doing.

Momentary

Banned

I wonder if Type-0 will come too. It sucks that neither of them had a Steam logo at the end. But I figure it's because TGS is basically console only... so who cares about PC?

Miguel81

Almost got teary-eyed when I heard the Final Fantasy main theme tune near the end. Also, is it my monitor or was that trailer extremely heavy on the black crush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom