• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly this 16$ price tag, perhaps quite a huge mistake from square. I would have instabought at 30$. Pricing it the same as the recently re-released FFIV and FFIII seem extremely stupid considering how much more recent it is.

Final Fantasy XIII is a late port, most of which are usually priced around 20$ and on top of that it's widely considered to be one of the worst entries in the franchise. The mistake would be asking for more than 15$.

Jawmuncher

But isn't FF13 shit? The one with the loooong corridors aka level 'design' everyone made fun of?

It's just really divisive much like re6.
Characters were cool and the battle system was great .

Story was the weakest part.
Linearity depends on how you view that.
I never see that as a negative. Open area can be just as bad.

Porcupine

There are two Final Fantasy games in Steam's Top Ten list, I've never thought I would say something like this :D
It's a good thing for JRPGS in general, maybe there is more to come in the future.

But isn't FF13 shit? The one with the loooong corridors aka level 'design' everyone made fun of and the few fans kept saying 'keep playing, becomes fun after 50hrs'?

The parts that are good in FFXIII are REALLY REALLY GOOD, like the visuals (both ingame and the CG) and the battle system.

However, the parts that are bad are REALLY REALLY BAD, like a story that kinda only sorta makes sense if you read the ingame wiki, most of the cast is unbearably anime trope-ish, and the level designs are almost a complete straight path for about 20 or so hours.

Also, some of the negative feedback came from the garbage-quality port the game had to the 360. PS3 version was easily the better version of the two.

If you go into it with this knowledge, though, then you should be fine.

I'm kinda thinking about picking this up

header_292x136.jpg

ss_3f11c2693fde8463da6c8dedafe6219656628224.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294280/

Firebrand

Surprised about that FF13 price, will buy
at 75% off

Reminder to anyoe thinking of buying Batman: Arkham Origins: the GOTY Edition is just around the corner and what that hits they'll likely to remove all DLC from the store, as they did with Asylum and City.

Jawmuncher

The parts that are good in FFXIII are REALLY REALLY GOOD, like the visuals (both ingame and the CG) and the battle system.

However, the parts that are bad are REALLY REALLY BAD, like a story that kinda only sorta makes sense if you read the ingame wiki, most of the cast is unbearably anime trope-ish, and the level designs are almost a complete straight path for about 20 or so hours.

Also, some of the negative feedback came from the garbage-quality port the game had to the 360. PS3 version was easily the better version of the two.

If you go into it with this knowledge, though, then you should be fine.

Only character I had a problem with was hope.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't the first one debunked? Also, didn't it sell 15m+?

I haven't heard anything about that. Rockstar isn't that open about internal operations and it is always possible that I may have missed an article or two. I would appreciate any new information though.

Its probably wise to always consider opportunity costs and impatient shareholders when talking about public companies. Of course Zelnick could always just be obstinant. But again, I and most others don't have access to internal reports and communications so we can only speculate.

Only character I had a problem with was hope.

Lightning was a tsundere, vanille was the bubbly quirky girl character, Snow was just a stiff brawler, Hope is the easily frazzled kid out of his element, etc. Sazh was the only main cast member that didn't make me want to hurt myself. and even he is goofy with a chocobo living in his fro.

They all get better as the game progresses, though, but it's initially really hard to sit through.

Dr Dogg

But isn't FF13 shit? The one with the loooong corridors aka level 'design' everyone made fun of while the few fans kept saying 'keep playing, becomes fun after 50hrs'?

The first 9 chapters took me about 20 hours and yeah it was 80% of the time one linear path and only 2 areas you could have a brief wander around and another with some diverging paths. Chapter 10 is where it opened up (a big field named the Archlite Steppe) where you could go in hunts like FFXII had in the form of missions (a bit like Monster Hunter in a sense). The last couple of chapters do have some decent boss encounters and the final boss gauntlet is pretty intense at the level cap even (though one character and paradigm makes it a cake walk). There isn't a new game plus option but once you clear the game you start right back at the boss door but the rest of the leveling system is unlocked and you can go take on bigger and tougher missions for the end game content which is where most of the content is I found.

Story wasn't to my tastes and the striped out towns was a real let down but I was really fond of the battle system. Should (hopefully it's not locked framerate and rendering resolution) clean up really well on even a modest PC and some of the environment artwork was gorgeous.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's a shame that FFXIII doesn't have Japanese language tracks but oh well

edit: wait, it does!?

Japanese is only supported in the Asian sub, but said sub is heavily region-locked.

They should just do it like Skyrim, where you can choose the language in the properties menu and it'll switch out the data.

To add insult to injury, all of Squeenix's other abide by this, too.

TGMIII

But isn't FF13 shit? The one with the loooong corridors aka level 'design' everyone made fun of while the few fans kept saying 'keep playing, becomes fun after 50hrs'?

13's battle system is arguably one of the more engaging battle systems the series has had, the soundtrack is great and the visuals aren't anything to be laughed at but it's pretty much everywhere else that the game falls short. The characters and general story are mind numbingly dull, there's very little freedom or exploration in the environments and even when the game "opens up" 30/40 hours in, it's nothing but a large open space with some hills.

It's hardly a terrible game but expectations certainly need to be kept in check.

Turfster

Humble Merge Games bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Lexica
  • Deadly 30
  • Bridge Constructor Medieval
  • Battle Group 2
TIER 2: 6$
  • Commandos Collection
  • The Book of Legends
  • Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
TIER 3: 9$
  • Meridian: New World (Early Access)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
What the? I had another of these? Uh, weird. Take it, it expires the 22nd.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Warlock - Master of the Arcane -- MB-DB773652DBA24FB4 - Taken by TheMadMan007

kiyomi

Can someone enlighten me as to why the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean game isn't on Steam? Was there some contract bullshit that went on, that prevented it from going up on Steam?

'Cuz I'm looking at all these LEGO sales and it's the only one I wanted to play.

derExperte

Can someone enlighten me as to why the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean game isn't on Steam? Was there some contract bullshit that went on, that prevented it from going up on Steam?

'Cuz I'm looking at all these LEGO sales and it's the only one I wanted to play.

If Disney is somehow involved, and they are in this case, the answer is always: Because Disney.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's published by Disney and to date it has yet to release a single game on Steam. The frustrating thing is that a digital version of the game exists.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
To add insult to injury, all of Squeenix's other abide by this, too.

They do? They straight up put out a patch to remove Japanese language from Tomb Raider when they put it out on Steam. Pissed a lot of Japanese players off.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
HAHAHAHAHHA, MGS COllection are clothes loooooooooooooooooooool, I knew MGS4 will always stay on PS3, sorry jealous competition.

MGS4 is my least favorite, so I wouldn't mind that :p

Let's port beg this

MKs0N34.png

Reminds me of that weird fan made Sanic movie with Jaleel White voicing Sanic with "realistic" quills.

What's up with this Iron Fisticle game I just got some random coupon for? It looks pretty damn sweet to me. Might have to actually buy it without waiting for a bundle!

First thing I thought of when looking at it was that it reminds me of old top down games like Gauntlet and Smash TV. Then I saw :"Mix Gauntlet with Smash TV, add in a dash of Ghouls n Ghosts, and stir with a rogue-lite… Iron Fisticle is a game that offers tributes to a lot of classics."

It's a featured review, so of course I'm wary of it. But hopefully someone will post impressions of it at some point, it looks pretty neat.

I have been playing Civ 5 like Total War, the 4 remaining Civs have all denounced me.

I feel like I've been doing it wrong.

You tend to gain warmonger penalties very fast in Civ V if you absorb too much, especially if you take an enemy civ's last city.

The only way* to stop the others from denouncing you is to absorb them as well.

*Well, not the only way but fuck it, take all the land.

Best wishes. :p

ohyou.jpg.

That feel when I see the lower prices people are selling it at. Feels good.

It's a shame that it's not, because Lego PotC is actually sort of good, if incredibly easy to get 100% with in a relatively short amount of time for Lego games.

DocSeuss

What's the difference between a hidden object adventure game and a normal adventure game?

they worked hard for that pedigree?

But haven't deserved it since 6.

7 got it because 'omfg 3D'
8 got it because 'omfg 7'
9 deserved it
10 got it because 'omfg PS2'
11 got it because 'omfg console MMO'
12 deserved it

Really, the good FFs are divisible by 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom