• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

I've finished 4 games in the last 4 days.
What's wrong with me?

I am burning through my backlog too, Walking Dead S2, Burial at Sea, Halo SA, Remember Me, Grim Legends, Wolfenstein and Tomb Raider all in one week. I might actually have finished more than bought, feels wrong somehow. And what do I do with Mountain? And CS:GO.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hah.
Yeah, no, I usually only have time to game on the weekends, so.

I typically only game on the weekends and I'm going beat more than 52 games in the year.
not 365 though

ArnoldSchwarzeneggerDoIt.gif

derExperte

That's seriously impressive.

TWD was only one episode and I was 25-50% done with TR and Remember already but they've been sitting on my harddrive untouched for over a year now. I need to stop stop playing games despite liking them, got through Wolfenstein in three days or so which is a good start. Next up SR4, Valiant Hearts and Batman Oranges. Though Dead Rising 3 is looming on the horizon.

Toshin

If I can sell 13 Alien codes for $45 each I can make $585.

That's about 44 copies of Witcher 3.

44 copies for everyone on SteamGAF.

damn shadow i just caught up in the last few hours...thats sick whatever you decide to do.... thats a sweet investment you made

Miker

I gave up on Divinity: OS for now, but I still want to play an in-depth CRPG, so I started Knights of the Old Republic II with the content restoration mod.

It was a huuuuuge pain in the ass to get running without crashes after cutscenes, and I still had to decide between running it at vsynced 30 fps (not 60 for some reason) or unlocked framerate (100+). I ended up using RadeonPro to lock the framerate at 60, but it's not actual vsync, so there's still noticeable tearing.

I hear Peragus is pretty boring, but I love Star Wars as a setting so much that I don't really mind. I'll post more impressions later.

Tecl0n

I gave up on Divinity: OS for now, but I still want to play an in-depth CRPG, so I started Knights of the Old Republic II with the content restoration mod.

It was a huuuuuge pain in the ass to get running without crashes after cutscenes, and I still had to decide between running it at vsynced 30 fps (not 60 for some reason) or unlocked framerate (100+). I ended up using RadeonPro to lock the framerate at 60, but it's not actual vsync, so there's still noticeable tearing.

I hear Peragus is pretty boring, but I love Star Wars as a setting so much that I don't really mind. I'll post more impressions later.

Wait. You are playing Kotor II for the first time? Peragus is a chore, but the game opens up quite nicely after that. It's such a chore that there are a number of mods that eliminate said planet.

iosefe

super Skip Peragus. so great a mod it gives you a lightsaber way earlier than you would have had it otherwise

(becasue it was criminal to hold you from getting one)

Miker

Wait. You are playing Kotor II for the first time? Peragus is a chore, but the game opens up quite nicely after that. It's such a chore that there are a number of mods that eliminate said planet.

Yeah, playing for the first time. I loved Kotor 1 to death, and looking back, I have no idea why I waited so long to play Kotor 2 - I bought it for $3 or so during the 2012 Winter Sale.

And Peragus can't be worse than Taris, right? Right?

iosefe

Yeah, playing for the first time. I loved Kotor 1 to death, and looking back, I have no idea why I waited so long to play Kotor 2 - I bought it for $3 or so during the 2012 Winter Sale.

Taris had Pazaak, Peragus has...Hallways

btw...if you don't like chores, don't download M4-78 restoration.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has now reached a point where game developers and companies are trying to pay me a good chunk of money to have their game featured on the homepage of Steam.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this, other than it just doesn't sit well with me.

Because everyone should already have Witcher 3 and D:OS.

Ok, i'm gonna ask this finally. I need to be sold on Divinity. I just don't feel like i'd dig it, but i've said that about games before and been wrong. I mean, i've never seen a game so universally liked in here, so i'm willing to hear what the game is and what makes it so great.

Enhanced Steam has now reached a point where game developers and companies are trying to pay me a good chunk of money to have their game featured on the homepage of Steam.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this, other than it just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't think Valve would like that...

Oublieux

:O That's crazy. I like how the tool was built for the community and is driven by community responses as well. I'm sure you feel the same way and is the primary reason it feels "off."

Maybe you can tag it as sponsored content?

Do you mean to say that they think you manage the front page of Steam, or that they want you to modify the front page of advanced steam users so that they see a different set of featured games?

Are you monetizing ES in any way right now? You deserve something for your hard work.

StAidan

That makes me laugh, sort of, because it's a clear demonstration of how the world works. It also makes me shake my head and feel a little sad for exactly the same reason.

jshackles

:O That's crazy. I like how the tool was built for the community and is driven by community responses as well. I'm sure you feel the same way and is the primary reason it feels "off."

Yeah. I think my moral compass is giving off major "this isn't legitimate honest money" vibes.

Do you mean to say that they think you manage the front page of Steam, or that they want you to modify the front page of advanced steam users so that they see a different set of featured games?

As in they want to leverage Enhanced Steam as a platform to promote their game on. I assume they've made a similar offer to Valve to be included in the homepage carousel or have a large banner but got declined. When this company first approached me, they wanted to buy the rights to the entire Enhanced Steam program. When I told them I wasn't interested they came back with a fairly substantial counteroffer for the use of advertising space, meaning that people with Enhanced Steam installed would see their ad on the Steam home page while non-Enhanced Steam users wouldn't.

I don't think Valve would like that...

Also what I was thinking. I mean, curating the storefront is kinda their thing, even if we don't all always agree on their choices.

Tecl0n

It's just too long for its own good as an introductory level. If you loved the first, though, don't worry you are in for a treat.

jshackles

Are you monetizing ES in any way right now? You deserve something for your hard work.

Enhanced Steam's Patreon campaign and individual donations make enough money to keep the servers chugging along. Assuming our server's hosting costs never went up, this offer would more than pay for Enhanced Steam's servers to run for well over 20 years...

That makes me laugh, sort of, because it's a clear demonstration of how the world works. It also makes me shake my head and feel a little sad for exactly the same reason.

Yeah same here. I don't have any intention of selling out like this, I just thought I would share. The world is indeed a crazy place.

Kagemusha

I'm trying to get the launcher for Velocity Ultra to work. Hitting play does nothing, or it launches Longest Journey from my GOG folder (both have same .exe). I've verified cache and restarted PC and checked forum but can't find a fix. Does our patron saint know what config file I need to edit?

wilflare

I'm tempted to get one of those codes

----
back on my Python journey.
being a History major and forgetting all my math is making doing the homework rather difficult.

Put Bad Rats on the homepage. Tell the other companies they just didn't offer enough.

KScorp

Well, they want what's best for their business, and I can't really blame them for that. Do you have a policy written out that says not to contact you about things like this?

More than anything it would probably be too much of a hassle to manage it. Managing ads, dealing with the vocal users who would hate you if you implemented it (no matter how minor of a change), possible issues with Valve, etc. And there would be the stigma attached that it's no longer something made only for the users.

As for your comments on selling out, I don't think that it's necessarily true that including ads would be selling out. It's possible to do tastefully, and I can't complain that a dev is earning something for their work if it doesn't get in my way. It's why I allow unobtrusive ads on trusted sites.

Edit: By the way would it be possible for a mod to fix his tag link?

Tecl0n

I'm tempted to get one of those codes

----
back on my Python journey.
being a History major and forgetting all my math is making doing the homework rather difficult.

You should, even in their marked up form, they are still a good deal.

Also, you are getting a second degree or something?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Overruled 3- -- MB-7D0B45AB4D05326C - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
Overruled 2- -- MB-5A0441BA7480509A - Taken by salazar547. 2 entrants total.
Overruled- -- MB-C53B0DC864F5D1EA - Taken by Gunstarheroes. 2 entrants total.

t1409714442z1.png
enjoy

jshackles

Okay GAF, I have a new mission in life.
Without using sleazy advertising money to do it
I endeavor to have my picture taken with Jason Momoa.

If I can make that happen, my life will be complete.

Okay GAF, I have a new mission in life.
Without using sleazy advertising money to do it
I endeavor to have my picture taken with Jason Momoa.

If I can make that happen, my life will be complete.

Be sure to bring two folding chairs that you can snap open at the same time.

jshackles

Be sure to bring two folding chairs that you can snap open at the same time.

I could totally do this too.

post-26939-Dis-Gon-B-Good-gif-HD-Imgur-Kh-cQis.gif

Well, they want what's best for their business, and I can't really blame them for that. Do you have a policy written out that says not to contact you about things like this?

More than anything it would probably be too much of a hassle to manage it. Managing ads, dealing with the vocal users who would hate you if you implemented it (no matter how minor of a change), possible issues with Valve, etc. And there would be the stigma attached that it's no longer something made only for the users.

As for your comments on selling out, I don't think that it's necessarily true that including ads would be selling out. It's possible to do tastefully, and I can't complain that a dev is earning something for their work if it doesn't get in my way. It's why I allow unobtrusive ads on trusted sites.

I don't typically have a problem with advertising either, although this particular instance kinda falls under "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." And like you said, it would be a huge hassle to maintain, and I don't really have the time to do that (even if it pays well). I just want to make cool improvements that help people, that's all. :)

Okay so I bought the witcher 1 and 2 recently in a sale for like $11. I've heard positive reviews so I just bought them on a whim. How great are they?

Okay so I bought the witcher 1 and 2 recently in a sale for like $11. I've heard positive reviews so I just bought them on a whim. How great are they?

Pretty good. Witcher 1 hasn't aged that well graphically and the combat takes some getting used to. Witcher 2 is fantastic and you should probably play it before the third game releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom