• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

I watched that earlier today! Game looks great but not a huge update to the civ formula from what I can tell

For some reason I was under the impression that it was nothing at all like the other Civ games and not even the same genre of game, so I didn't pay any attention to it. Now I'm really excited for it! Civ in space, yay!!

maty

I won a few games so here is something in return. I have some more but I will give them away later. Cheers

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Brazen Prototype Steam Key #1 -- MB-C050483871880EBF - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 1 entrants total.
Full Bore -- MB-B15C14F06C0DFE7F - Taken by Diggeh. 3 entrants total.
Brazen Prototype Steam Key #2 -- MB-78CCC32BD78BF8A7
Terraria -- MB-EDE70DD5EA834EC9 - Taken by Vazduh. 1 entrants total.
Brazen Prototype Steam Key #4 -- MB-D127A10AD853B7B7 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
140 -- MB-5DAD8ABB28F4DC4B - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-E1ED48C4C311D86F - Taken by Pyroclastic. 1 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-44DB6AF7A6604A01 - Taken by Evrain. 2 entrants total.
Brazen Prototype Steam Key #3 -- MB-DCBD632C2B208C9A
Pixeljunk Eden -- MB-CC20457668F293BE - Taken by BHK3. 2 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-F48F810C1E773A01 - Taken by legacyzero. 2 entrants total.
The Bard's Tale -- MB-FF3C584538C37195 - Taken by spindoctor. 1 entrants total.
Race the Sun -- MB-8CF95FE4AD2AFFCE - Taken by rainking187. 5 entrants total.
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure -- MB-BF5AE078177B1F0C - Taken by Ingueferroque. 1 entrants total.

t1409788285z1.png

I won a few games so here is something in return. I have some more but I will give them away later. Cheers

What's Brazen Prototype? It doesn't seem to be appearing in the steam store. Nothing about Brazen, and I wouldn't assume you're giving out four copies of Prototype...

maty

What's Brazen Prototype? It doesn't seem to be appearing in the steam store. Nothing about Brazen, and I wouldn't assume you're giving out four copies of Prototype...

They come from Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight event/bundle. So no, they are not Prototype the game haha

Copons

It's a Double Fine game prototype, from the old Amnesia Fortnight bundle, and it doesn't exist on the store.

header_586x192.jpg

So I just finished Dishonored + Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches for the first time.

What a completely uneven experience.

Up front you're told that killing people and generally being naughty will have (bad) repercussions and you're dissuaded from killing (fine by me, I generally play as a good guy).

I played the entire base game as a pacifist. If I got caught, I'd reload. If I killed someone, I'd reload. This got really boring and annoying. It's almost like a pacifist run was an afterthought added solely for the Low/High Chaos endings and for blatant playtime padding. There's two ways to take care of enemies without killing them: sleep darts (too limited) and choking them out. If you're caught, you're pretty much hosed. There's really no direct way to deal with people without killing them. The world was very interesting, gameplay mechanics were pretty cool, etc., but trying to force a no-kill or low bodycount playthrough by telling the player that bad things will happen as one of the first messages they get was the single dumbest thing about the game. The base game simply isn't designed for it. Not to mention that there's so many fun ways that your powers can kill people (stopping time and killing someone with their own bullet being among my favorites).

The DLCs were better. I skipped the "no killing" attitude and played as a general pacifist that would kill if needed. It's really shocking how much that changes the experience. Way, way more fun.

Of the two DLCs, I'd say that Brigmore Witches was far better. Knife of Dunwall was boring to me, and only served as a save to import into Brigmore Witches. Both of the DLCs were a major step up in the stealth department, though, with more ways to take care of people without killing them.

Overall, I'd say that the game is good, but deeply flawed. Brigmore Witches was one of the best DLC expansions I've played in a long time.

Base game gets a 7/10 (good, not amazing), Knife of Dunwall gets a 6/10 (kind of boring, mostly padding) and Brigmore Witches gets an 8.5/10 (very good, compelling and with lots of new stuff) from me.

I know that I'm way late to the party here, but I figured that I'd still post my impressions.
Sorry if it's just thread clutter. :(

Evrain

Seeing as Batman Origins has popped up for roughly 7€ (game + season pass); I'm tempted to bite. Has WB fixed all those nasty game breaking bugs I keep reading about in reviews and comments or should I sink my money in MK Komplete Edition (sans Kratos, damn them)?

Parsnip

Brazen

It's also a shelved project, at least for the moment. It was Brad Muir's baby but he's now helming Massive Chalice.

edit: I think I have 2 brazen keys as well that no one has taken despite them being in free4all giveaways multiple times. I don't know, do prototypes count as +1? Since they are not public (can't post screenshots on Steam community etc), maybe not?

It tells you that acting like a terrible monster and killing lots of people will have bad repercussions. In no way does it beg you to go for a pacifist run. And you avoid enemies by using blink or any one of the other powers, in most cases you can completely avoid any kind of encounter. Not to mention most areas in the game(penultimate chapter being the exception I remember) have multiple routes.

Uzzy

If I loved rts games like Age of Empires, would I like the Wargame franchise?

Wargame is very different to Age of Empires, so it's a big maybe there. Check some of the gameplay videos that are out there, and if you're unsure, pick up Wargame: Airland Battle first, and play that for a bit.

Sarcasm

Heads up if you use humble bundle's two step and even remotely use your phone's browser to view HB page while logged in.

Its not very secure. Last two weeks I been in contact with their support since the two step SMS stopped working for me. Token I had never was accepted either in logging in or when I tried to reset password. Their support is on par with steam fyi.

So many days later...I thought to myself to see if I can disable two step from my phone..since my phone stayed logged in.

Well you can disable it..there is no need for another code nor does it ask for your password again to disable it.

I go my account back at least.

Seeing as Batman Origins has popped up for roughly 7€ (game + season pass); I'm tempted to bite. Has WB fixed all those nasty game breaking bugs I keep reading about in reviews and comments or should I sink my money in MK Komplete Edition (sans Kratos, damn them)?

I think WB fixed most of the bugs but didn't fix everything once they started working on the cold cold heart dlc. If you buy it it should be fine as I played through the game again recently and didn't run into any problems

The first advice I give anyone starting Dishonored is to not pigeonhole yourself into one specific way of playing the game. Stealth if you feel like it and combat if it goes to shit or something. The combat in this game is especially fun once you start chaining abilities so it only enhances the experience. And of course the high chaos ending is far better than the low chaos one anyway.

I can't remember the specifics but was this one of those games where using stealth is more rewarding in terms of XP gained and all that? I remember DX Human Revolution was. And gamers (at least some of us) are tuned to maximize the reward from a game so we tend towards the stealth route.

Parsnip

garbageday.gif

Beep beep. Take these.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Brazen Prototype #1 -- MB-54FD0A57E762ED82 - Taken by nja
Brazen Prototype #2 -- MB-EC380B733F2AAA7C - Taken by Evrain

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When I played Dishonored I skipped stealth completely and just went around killing everyone like it was Assassin's Creed. Fun stuff.

When I played Dishonored I skipped stealth completely and just went around killing everyone like it was Assassin's Creed. Fun stuff.

Honestly, if I did it again, I would absolutely do this. The combat is very fun. Stealth/Pacifist...not so much.

I'm so burnt out on the game right now, though. According to Steam it was only 22 hours, but it feels more like 40.

Mono

I played the entire base game as a pacifist. If I got caught, I'd reload. If I killed someone, I'd reload. This got really boring and annoying. It's almost like a pacifist run was an afterthought added solely for the Low/High Chaos endings and for blatant playtime padding.

This is exactly why I stopped playing Dishonoured! :( I was treating it like a pure stealth game with no killing, which got extremely difficult fast. I had no idea how much chaos was generated by killing someone, so I just stopped playing. I think I need to revisit the game and actually kill people!

The magic teleporting thing made it really interesting to play as a stealth game!

Evrain

So, basically, I am the only one who insofar treated Dishonored like Thief 2.5 and embarked on a completely ghost/pacifist run... and enjoyed every single minute of it?

oipic

I went full-stealth, and despite forever loading saves when things went haywire and pear-shaped, it was great (but slow) fun - replaying it as a murder simulator is definitely on my to-do list, as there are so many toys and skills that pass by unused and unexplored when playing Dishonored stealthily. One of my favourite titles of recent times.

header_586x192.jpg

So I just finished Dishonored + Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches for the first time.

Up front you're told that killing people and generally being naughty will have (bad) repercussions and you're dissuaded from killing (fine by me, I generally play as a good guy).

I played the entire base game as a pacifist. If I got caught, I'd reload. If I killed someone, I'd reload. This got really boring and annoying. It's almost like a pacifist run was an afterthought added solely for the Low/High Chaos endings and for blatant playtime padding. There's two ways to take care of enemies without killing them: sleep darts (too limited) and choking them out. If you're caught, you're pretty much hosed. There's really no direct way to deal with people without killing them. The world was very interesting, gameplay mechanics were pretty cool, etc., but trying to force a no-kill or low bodycount playthrough by telling the player that bad things will happen as one of the first messages they get was the single dumbest thing about the game. The base game simply isn't designed for it. Not to mention that there's so many fun ways that your powers can kill people (stopping time and killing someone with their own bullet being among my favorites)...

The first advice I give anyone starting Dishonored is to not pigeonhole yourself into one specific way of playing the game. Stealth if you feel like it and combat if it goes to shit or something. The combat in this game is especially fun once you start chaining abilities so it only enhances the experience. And of course the high chaos ending is far better than the low chaos one anyway.

I can't remember the specifics but was this one of those games where using stealth is more rewarding in terms of XP gained and all that? I remember DX Human Revolution was. And gamers (at least some of us) are tuned to maximize the reward from a game so we tend towards the stealth route.

I've had Dishonored from Day 1 but could never get the feel of the game because I wanted to go all stealth. For some reason the knowledge of a low/high chaos endings made me shun playing it as freely as I could. One day I'll get the urge to play it, I also want to experience the masquerade level & all the different ways to get revenge on your enemies.

This is exactly why I stopped playing Dishonoured! :( I was treating it like a pure stealth game with no killing, which got extremely difficult fast. I had no idea how much chaos was generated by killing someone, so I just stopped playing. I think I need to revisit the game and actually kill people!

The magic teleporting thing made it really interesting to play as a stealth game!

It seemed to me that as long as you don't kill everyone and only kill when you need to you should still get Low Chaos. I would absolutely recommend playing through it with stealth + killing, as that can be very, very fun. Guns blazing is pretty fun too.

Skulking around in a dark corner waiting five minutes for a dude to turn his back so you can choke him out whilst wishing that you didn't waste that last sleep dart on the guard that you thought saw you (but didn't actually see you) is very much not fun.

I've had Dishonored from Day 1 but could never get the feel of the game because I wanted to go all stealth. For some reason the knowledge of a low/high chaos endings made me shun playing it as freely as I could. One day I'll get the urge to play it, I also want to experience the masquerade level & all the different ways to get revenge on your enemies.
This was my problem. It made me feel like I'd miss out on something "good" if I did that, and I generally don't play games to be a monster so I wasn't fond of the idea of being classified as one for, say, killing someone who was going to kill me anyway.

Dishonoured really could have done without the chaos system. Maybe just have a different ending based on how many people you save/assassinate?
That's pretty much all the Chaos system is anyway, which is what makes it feel like an afterthought that's simply there to make you replay it to "see the other side".

Mono

Dishonoured really could have done without the chaos system. Maybe just have a different ending based on how many people you save/assassinate?

header_586x192.jpg

I played the entire base game as a pacifist. If I got caught, I'd reload. If I killed someone, I'd reload. This got really boring and annoying. It's almost like a pacifist run was an afterthought added solely for the Low/High Chaos endings and for blatant playtime padding. There's two ways to take care of enemies without killing them: sleep darts (too limited) and choking them out. If you're caught, you're pretty much hosed. There's really no direct way to deal with people without killing them. The world was very interesting, gameplay mechanics were pretty cool, etc., but trying to force a no-kill or low bodycount playthrough by telling the player that bad things will happen as one of the first messages they get was the single dumbest thing about the game. The base game simply isn't designed for it. Not to mention that there's so many fun ways that your powers can kill people (stopping time and killing someone with their own bullet being among my favorites).

The DLCs were better. I skipped the "no killing" attitude and played as a general pacifist that would kill if needed. It's really shocking how much that changes the experience. Way, way more fun.

Of the two DLCs, I'd say that Brigmore Witches was far better. Knife of Dunwall was boring to me, and only served as a save to import into Brigmore Witches. Both of the DLCs were a major step up in the stealth department, though, with more ways to take care of people without killing them.

Overall, I'd say that the game is good, but deeply flawed. Brigmore Witches was one of the best DLC expansions I've played in a long time.

Base game gets a 7/10 (good, not amazing), Knife of Dunwall gets a 6/10 (kind of boring, mostly padding) and Brigmore Witches gets an 8.5/10 (very good, compelling and with lots of new stuff) from me.

I know that I'm way late to the party here, but I figured that I'd still post my impressions.
Sorry if it's just thread clutter. :(

I fully agree with you. Great review, post it on Steam.

In hindsight, the low chaos ending isn't something you should even try to get. I had my Gob Bluth face on when I youtubed the high chaos endings after finishing my game in low chaos.

You can kill a lot of people in Dishonored and still get the "good" ending. It just prevents you from walking into an area, laying waste to an entire troupe, and having rats eat civilians.

Mono

It seemed to me that as long as you don't kill everyone and only kill when you need to you should still get Low Chaos. I would absolutely recommend playing through it with stealth + killing, as that can be very, very fun. Guns blazing is pretty fun too.

Skulking around in a dark corner waiting five minutes for a dude to turn his back so you can choke him out whilst wishing that you didn't waste that last sleep dart on the guard that you thought saw you (but didn't actually see you) is very much not fun.

I'll try to pretend chaos doesn't exist next time I try it; it will be much more fun!

The game urges you to play it like a stealth game, but it's not too well designed for it! Maybe it changes in the later game, but sleep darts seemed extremely rare, and in some places, there wasn't a big enough window to be out of guards' line of sight to sneak past them unless you execute some crazy blink trick and get lucky!

When you actually can sneak up behind a guard and choke them, it is pretty satisfying, but it gets old!

Terra_Ex

So, basically, I am the only one who insofar treated Dishonored like Thief 2.5 and embarked on a completely ghost/pacifist run... and enjoyed every single minute of it?

Nope, I did a high chaos run first on consoles then after getting the PC version I did a perfect ghost/pacifist run for the campaign and dlcs. Both runs were extremely enjoyable but the ghost/pacifist run ended up being the most satisfying for me.

Dishonored is very well designed for stealth, blink is a major mechanic of the game and main traversal method. It's not about getting "lucky" with it.

Mono

I'm genuinely asking. I've never played an Assassin's Creed game but I just assumed that assassins were stealthy. Because they're, you know, assassins.

In AC1 at least, most of the assassinations take place in very public areas with tons of people around, so you basically have to stab the target and run for your life.

Or stab and counter the guards over and over again because countering pretty much makes you invinsible in AC1, which is what I played!

Anteater

damn it, my mouse is on its last legs

and I'm getting my ass kicked in the banner saga

edit: my mouse is ok again, praise the rats lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom