• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

0oYCsPhh.jpg

I don't think this game could be more on the nose with it's references to like the most well known books of all time

its like Kojima read 3 books that always come up when talking about symbolism and just put them in there randomly

zkylon

zkylewd
0oYCsPhh.jpg

I don't think this game could be more on the nose with it's references to like the most well known books of all time

its like Kojima read 3 books that always come up when talking about symbolism and just put them in there randomly

is this some hunger games thing

The plan I've opted for 100Mb/40Mb, which is a nice boost from my current ADSL connection of ~6Mb/~1Mb, but the launch of Netflix in Australia has resulted in a lot of congestion issues since people are now making good use of their connections more often than not, so real-world speeds will likely be noticeably slower during peak hours. NBN Co (the company rolling out the network) will be seeking industry input on how to reform bandwidth pricing, though, so things will get better in the future.

That's really fast, I wish there was a semi affordable option at that speed around were I live in the ol US of A.

giphy.gif

MattyG

Banned
0oYCsPhh.jpg

When they
got himback to MB
I finally noticed the conch shell and then remembered the pig head. I just shook my head, laughed and said "oh come on".

I don't think Kojima realizes that you can make homage to something without just lifting nearly everything in it and cramming it into your story.

When they
got himback to MB
I finally noticed the conch shell and then remembered the pig head. I just shook my head, laughed and said "oh come on".

I don't think Kojima realizes that you can make homage to something without just lifting nearly everything in it and cramming it into your story.
Now, I'm flashing back to all those dreaded elementary school book reports.

0oYCsPhh.jpg

He read 1984 and thinks he's deep.

Tizoc

When they
got himback to MB

You do realize this is the guy who made Policenauts and Snatcher, with one of those games featuring areas 1:1 from Blade Runner?
I'm not kidding one of them had areas that are identical to what's in that movie.

Speaking of 1984.. My wife keep asking me "how in the world Snake (Diamond Dogs) has those advanced gadgets in 1984?" everytime we play MGS V.
How should I answer it?

Tizoc

Speaking of 1984.. My wife keep asking me "how in the world Snake (Diamond Dogs) has those advanced gadgets in 1984?" everytime we play MGS V.
How should I answer it?

The same way you answer all Metal Gear Solid questions:
Nanomachines, my dear. Nanomachines.

Turfster

I HAVE FINISHED WASH_DOGES.
I AM FREE.

A garbage game with garbage controls, garbage mechanics, a garbage story, garbage minigames, garbage collectibles and garbage... everything.

Tizoc

I AM FREE.

A garbage game with garbage controls, garbage mechanics, a garbage story, garbage minigames, garbage collectibles and garbage... everything.

Yet it won GotY accolades, etc.
I'm just getting ti for the pretty graphics :V

EDIT: Turf, do a LTTP thread over in General Discussions, just for the lulz.

I AM FREE.

Garbage performance.

I quite liked the on the fly hacking in traffic but even that was simplified to a big bright flashing indicator QTE event.

Turfster

So a standard open world action/adventure title, then.

Worse. So much worse.

Yet it won GotY accolades, etc.
I'm just getting ti for the pretty graphics :V

EDIT: Turf, do a LTTP thread over in General Discussions, just for the lulz.

Nah. I don't have much more to say about it that I haven't said already.
I just want to close the book on it, get it out of my life, not discuss it with defenders.

Don't get it, man.
I SUFFERED SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

Garbage performance.

I quite liked the on the fly hacking in traffic but even that was simplified to a big bright flashing indicator QTE event.

The performance was... okay, I guess?
Of course, that was on a 970.

Sober

I AM FREE.

The open world was neat at least. Bad Blood was slightly better at least storywise, but the game itself is still the same. I'm actually writing an LTTP post on it after having played through it.

Did you do most or all of the side content? Actual question.

Turfster

The open world was neat at least. Bad Blood was slightly better at least storywise, but the game itself is still the same. I'm actually writing an LTTP post on it after having played through it.

Did you do most or all of the side content? Actual question.

Hell no.
I did a couple of each, but not all of them.
Definitely didn't do any of the stupid AR games.

1 criminal convoy (because they involve car takedowns, and may whoever designed those burn for all eternity)
4 gang hideouts
11 crimes stopped
2 burnerphones
2 human traffics
2 missing persons
and that's about it.

First bullshit ubi-wurst game that just KEEPS ADDING NEW TYPES OF COLLECTABLES, even late in the game.

God, I feel so drained now.

Nanomachines and Hideo Kojima. Got it. :D
And bullshit writing.

Psycho Mantis + Man on Fire is so ridiculously OP, but Mantis never tried to fling Big Boss at a wall, and Man on Fire loved badass slowmo walking too much to do anything else.

And when I said 1984 I wasn't joking, prepared to be bombarded with 1984 references in chapter 2.

PSA/correction: When last I talked about Tales From Borderlands a hundred pages ago or whatever, I was referring to Ep 2, not Ep 3. So please adjust your notes accordingly. Thank you.

Now. I have now completed Ep 3 of Tales From Borderlands and I'm happy to report it's as good as the previous episodes. It does a great job of subverting everything you expect from TellTale's new style of adventure games. Top ep.

Sober

Hell no.
I did a couple of each, but not all of them.
Definitely didn't do any of the stupid AR games.

First bullshit ubi-wurst game that just KEEPS ADDING NEW TYPES OF COLLECTABLES, even late in the game.

God, I feel so drained now.
The AR stuff I actually thought was interesting because some of it (like the shooter one) sorta just let you do it whereever in the open world when you felt like it. It's odd because the game sorta goes out of the way to not really let you go rip-roaring murder spree on people so they have those AR games or those minigames (like the zombie car/spider tank/hunt robots/stealth/weird flower platformer) that sorta let you use the world in different ways. Definitely a different approach. Some of them were cool overall.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's about as deep and fun as a $1.87 game should be, especially if you don't use a guide to look up all the things attached to each. That being said, pre-Steam this is the kind of thing that probably would have been free on newgrounds.

I had to use a guide to look up the remaining special characters, and what to do with the last "witness". and while I agree that there's not much to debate on price/value (I had fun for a good while initially), it got really frustrating towards the end. That one time I finally manage to complete it I had to guess at least two times, because at least two of the suspects matched all criteria. Other times witnesses will say stuff like "definitely not bald" (no, not the mr. opposite dude, before you even ask :p), but then it turns out the guilty one was bald after all etc. It could do with some tweaking.

And yes, it definitely has the feel of newgrounds to it :)

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The plan I've opted for 100Mb/40Mb, which is a nice boost from my current ADSL connection of ~6Mb/~1Mb, but the launch of Netflix in Australia has resulted in a lot of congestion issues since people are now making good use of their connections more often than not, so real-world speeds will likely be noticeably slower during peak hours. NBN Co (the company rolling out the network) will be seeking industry input on how to reform bandwidth pricing, though, so things will get better in the future.

wow

how I feel
image.php

America's infrastructure stinks. it stinks.

Miguel81

I AM FREE.

I thought the protagonist was hot garbage. The game was alright I felt, but I burned myself out with the side content. It's one those titles that I'll never play again.

Turfster

It's odd because the game sorta goes out of the way to not really let you go rip-roaring murder spree on people .

More than that, the game actively penalises you for shit that happens with their undriveable cars, even when some fucking AI rubberbanding chase car rams you into people, it's your fucking fault?
Fuck off, piece of shit game.

I AM FREE.

That's exactly the same feeling I had by the end of my time with it. I never finished the story, got so close but in the end I was just asking myself 'why am I playing this when I have other actually fun games to play?'

I did enjoy some of it though, the prison break mission and the initial set up of the story, but that only lasted until I got to the map screen and saw what a collect-a-thon it was going to be.

wow

how I feel
image.php

It's not all like that unfortunately. I literally live across the road from where the NBN has been installed. 5 meters away there are people with amazing speeds while I'm stuck with a horrible provider with an over priced bundle that recently got 'upgraded' from $40 a month for 400gb (which I never go over) to a new and improved $60 a month for unlimited... thanks exetel for removing a plan that actually suited your customer's needs.

Tizoc

Worse. So much worse.

Nah. I don't have much more to say about it that I haven't said already.
I just want to close the book on it, get it out of my life, not discuss it with defenders.

Don't get it, man.
I SUFFERED SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

The performance was... okay, I guess?
Of course, that was on a 970.

Sorry turf I already bought it weeks ago!
But can save THEM TURF! MAKE THE LTTP AND SAVE THEM!
BELIEVE IN YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS! THE DEFENDERS ARE FOOLS AND A LAUGHINGSTCOK! TROLL THEIR REPLIES! LET THE HUMOR MAKE UP FOR YOU TORMENT WITH THE WASHE_DOGE!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wow

how I feel
image.php

At least Google "Fiber" exists and is slowly being expanded. Before the government here decides to just roll out the NBN itself, it sought draft proposals from interested companies and I was a little surprised when Google AU didn't throw in its hat.

It's not all like that unfortunately. I literally live across the road from where the NBN has been installed. 5 meters away there are people with amazing speeds while I'm stuck with a horrible provider with an over priced bundle that recently got 'upgraded' from $40 a month for 400gb (which I never go over) to a new and improved $60 a month for unlimited... thanks exetel for removing a plan that actually suited your customer's needs.

Yeah, Exetel forced me up from a $50pm 500GB plan to a $90pm 1000GB plan. Churning would have been more expensive than just paying the additional $40pm for a couple of months, so I didn't have much of a choice.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Have you found all Chicago songs in Chicago?
If you haven't...
...i'm afraid you have to go back, Turf. You have to go baaaaack!

I enjoyed my time with Watch Dogs. Never finished it and can't bring myself to do it, characters and story are astonishingly uninteresting, but I thought simply walking around was fun. The city looks really pretty.

Tizoc

i TEND TO confuse Dogg and Turf with each other, prob. cuz of their avatars.
I like that they're polar opposites for some reason.

Oh, are we playing 'who is the most unfortunate internet user'?

In my city, the cheapest internet service is $15 for 1mbps. And the most expensive one is $200 for 50mbps (i'm not even sure it truly exists). Anyway, $200 is like the overall minimum wage in my country. There's literally no other options other than resorting to 512kbps broadband modem which costs $10 for 10GB of data usage.

Be grateful with what you have right now. :D

And bullshit writing.

Psycho Mantis + Man on Fire is so ridiculously OP, but Mantis never tried to fling Big Boss at a wall, and Man on Fire loved badass slowmo walking too much to do anything else.

And when I said 1984 I wasn't joking, prepared to be bombarded with 1984 references in chapter 2.

Lol, it's indeed a Japanese game.

Uzzy

http://i.imgur.com/0oYCsPhh.jpg/IMG]

its like Kojima read 3 books that always come up when talking about symbolism and just put them in there randomly[/QUOTE]

At least Lord of the Flies is a classic piece of literature, so I don't mind the reference.

Simpsons had the best reference to Flies though.

Tizoc

And bullshit writing.

I will certainly get some good chuckles from it if I even bother to watch the cutscenes; I'm more interested in Fultoning sheep really :V
I still see Transformers having done a much better 1984 inspired story and concepts in any media I've seen so far.

fertygo

How should I answer it?

You fighting an goddamn tank robot at Snake Eater, the setting is 1930s

Also MGS 1,2, 4 supposed in our current era by now.. its actually kinda clever to made the past more cyberpunk-ish to match the other game.

jediyoshi

0oYCsPhh.jpg

They also just directly name drop Lord of the Flies in the cut cutscene

You fighting an goddamn tank robot at Snake Eater, the setting is 1930s

Also MGS 1,2, 4 supposed in our current era by now.. its actually kinda clever to made the past more cyberpunk-ish to match the other game.

I've also given that example to her, and how is human cloning already a norm in the previous games.
But the root of the problem is, she haven't played any MGS game before lol.

Uzzy

So what is the next big game for PC this year since Xcom 2 is out if the picture?
Is it fallout 4 in November? That's the next game that I can see dominating my friends list.

SOMA looks great, but it's pretty bleak otherwise. Fallout 4 might be worth it after a good year of bug fixes, but those won't make the core game play any more interesting to me.

Start of next year is stacked though. No clue how I'll fit in half the games I want.

Nzyme32

0oYCsPhh.jpg

I'm still not close to finishing the game since I was doing many of the sideops, but I am still waiting to see if all the Moby Dick references actually have a real meaning rather than being thrown in for the hell of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom