• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I'm gonna reinstall windows, what's the easiest way to back up my steam folder so I don't need to redownload ~200GB? Can I just copy steamapps\common to my second drive, and then copy it back over to my main drive after Steam is installed? Even if the games aren't automatically recognized by Steam, I can just start a download for them and it'll check the folder to see that the game's data is already there, right?

Backlogger

As long as I can get the base game and season pass for around $60 on GMG or another site I plan on pre-ordering Fallout 4. Mad Max was the first game I pre-ordered in years which was somewhat of a gamble but it was heavily discounted and I ended up liking the game.

Fallout 4 I suspect I will like only because I love the franchise and generally speaking enjoy the Bethesda formula.

derExperte

Most telling barometer right there.

capture0tkrc.png

150th sale confirmed.

Arthea

‘Good’ isn’t good enough - releasing an indie game in 2015

When not even lashman and JaseC own it you know you fucked up.

That's more or less what I was saying on several occasions, belief that all good games sell has no basis anymore, even that marketed heavily sell (mostly because they have to sell much more to cover marketing costs too). There are simply so many games that only very exceptional, heavily marketed and lucky to boot games sell, and even those only when price is reasonably low.

Phawx

I did a quick look on Concrete Jungle a long time ago. It's an interesting puzzle game, but the visuals make me wish it was a simulation game.

Misleading comparison.

MGR came out on a machine with years of an established and larger base attached to it.

Now, if you want to compare it to MGS4, a game that came out only on the PS3 two years after release, then it gets interesting. MGSV did about 411k in its first week across PS3 & PS4 while MGS4 did 465k in its first week on the PS3. If we assume approximate 10% percent of all sales have gone digital now, though, then you basically have the same numbers in japan, during a time when consoles are doing much weaker than they were 7 years ago.

The numbers are fine, basically, so long as you have reasonable expectations. And if you really wanted to throw a wrench in those numbers then you would also consider Ground Zeroes as part of MGSV's total sales too.

Last, i wouldn't be shocked if this is the best selling MGS game in the west since perhaps MGS2. So the game is gonna be okay

I want to be more active on SteamGAF, but I have so much shit to do. Don't even have time to buy games anymore. :(
since when do you buy games

zkylon

zkylewd

that's very weird for a game that looks fine and has like decent-ish reviews, but yeah, the way valve supremely fucked up greenlight has most definitely lead to games getting overlooked while piles and piles of shit just gets packed in a bundle and somehow ends on everyone's library

I also see shit like pineview drive discounted on the humble bundle sale thing and i'm glad i stopped doing the humble tip garbage a long time ago for what little that matters

Arthea

I did a quick look on Concrete Jungle a long time ago. It's an interesting puzzle game, but the visuals make me wish it was a simulation game.

wait a second, so it is actually a puzzle game, because I wasn't sure after watching a trailer, still wishlisted as it's interesting concept.

I remember that I wasn't entirely sure what kind of game this is when it was added to greenlight too, but it's probably even more interesting this way.

Backlogger

"2D Platformer with unique artstyle" became the most oversaturated genre on steam is what happened.

It's also never been on sale, not even a 10% discount at launch. I know they don't want to be told this, but I think that matters in the digital PC game space. They should do a discount during he Winter Seal. 50% off and maybe get in on a 66% off daily or something.

Edit: Also, is it common for an indie game from a new indie developer to have a review and streaming embargo right up until launch? That also seems like a bad way to go (even for AAA games).

Vlad

I don't know how much of a trend it is, but personally, sales on games happen so often and so quickly, unless it's something that I absolutely will play immediately, I end up waiting. I've purchased Infinifactory, Hotline Miami 2, and Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, right around their release times (or before, to take advantage of the discounts), since I knew I'd install and play those as soon as I could, either due to the developer's past works or in the case of Necrodancer, the GB Quicklook (the addition of a Danny Baronowsky soundtrack is always a huge selling point as well).

Otherwise, with most games, I'll wait until one of the various retailer's sales or a bundle for stuff that I'm interested in. The seeming inevitability of a huge price drop plus the backlog that we all have means that there's really no point in grabbing something early otherwise.

For example, I had a few games from Devolver on my wishlist, and when the build-your-own Devolver bundle came up, I was able to get Titan Souls, Luftrausers, Dungeon Hearts, Ronin, and Not a Hero for something like $7. Dungeon Hearts came out in 2013, Luftrausers in 2014, but the oldest of the other three came out in April of this year! That's a really big price drop happening really quickly, and it's hardly out of the ordinary. I'd be curious what the sales data is like for other games that are eventually sucessful. Are there any that do well off purely sales and bundles later on in life?

Without having played Airscape yet, I can't personally speak to its quality. I do remember playing a bit of the demo and thinking that it was a fairly standard 2d platformer with a gravity switching gimmick. I don't recall anything interesting that was done with it, and no "hook" to really draw the player into really wanting to see more.

Phawx

wait a second, so it is actually a puzzle game, because I wasn't sure after watching a trailer, still wishlisted as it's interesting concept.

I remember that I wasn't entirely sure what kind of game this is when it was added to greenlight too, but it's probably even more interesting this way.

Yea, you can see the the quick look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu8lccS1nY

It's hard to explain, it's kind of like the inverse of minesweeper, mechanics-wise.

MUnited83

For you.
All those port announcement always seem to come in batches. I wonder what else we are getting this week.

Dragon's Dogma
Sayonara Umihara Kawase
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max

all within the same day(more or less)

Bets on what's coming next? :D

Daedalic Comedy Triforce Bundle: https://www.indiegala.com/daedalic

Randal's Monday
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
People who got Randal's Monday on BYOB am cry

Omega

Banned
That's more or less what I was saying on several occasions, belief that all good games sell has no basis anymore,

It never held any weight.

What gets sold is stuff that's marketed and has an "okay" name. Fuse sounds dumb, so no one bought it despite them marketing it. If people don't know your game exists then it doesn't matter if its the GOAT.

It's why games have bigger marketing budgets than development budgets.

Knurek

Dragon's Dogma
Sayonara Umihara Kawase
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max

all within the same day(more or less)

Bets on what's coming next? :D

Dragon Quest Legacy collection.
$14.99 for Dragon Quest 1-3
$19.99 for Dragon Quest 4-6
$29.99 for Dragon Quest 7-8 pack.

ported to PC by DOTEMU

Finished up Blade Kitten last night... now I want the second episode... but it looks like the biggest discount it's ever received was a 10% (probably at launch). Dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom