• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

‘Good’ isn’t good enough - releasing an indie game in 2015

When not even lashman and JaseC own it you know you fucked up.

its a shame that the guy making the article made a really bland looking super mario galaxy mobile looking thing

its more about standing out

im sure the game is competent, It just produces 0 desire to play it

he's onto something at the end of the article there maybe, but he made a clean lookin phyiscs 2d platformer with a mechanic from another big release that ends up as a gimmick many game have done already

cmon

Soulflarz

Banned
its a shame that the guy making the article made a really bland looking super mario galaxy mobile looking thing

its more about standing out

im sure the game is competent, It just produces 0 desire to play it

Yep. I don't care about indie game x and y if I don't have a really strong reason to play it. The game doesn't look interesting at all. Basically, that game leaves me with no need to want to put down any other game in my backlog to play it instead.

Arthea

so... how good is Randal's Monday, that's only one I don't have and I remember I almost picked it somewhere for similar price, so may as well get this bundle if this Monday is good for a change.

edited: I just remembered that I'm supposed not to buy anymore games, oh well

Salsa

look at something like Not A Hero

- big but probably cheap marketing campaign that played it like a real election. coined "vote bunnylord" and all that. Bunnylord appears in-character on the steam forums. they're committed
- focused on character rather than story. making it memorable
- writing that hits. its nothing original and it does the kind of shtick many games or media have done before bordering on maymays

its just that. if the game had none of that it'd be another 8 bit VIOLENCE! thing from Devolver which have done a lot already

sure the gameplay is tight and arcadey / frantic, but you'd never get to it if they didnt focus on gettin you there on the first place

game focused on standing out and it did. its very smart

Arthea

dude even called it Airscape which is the most bland forgettable name I could ever think of

oh c'mon now, you are playing a game that is called Rocket League, how is this any better name?
a good name can be part of the success (see DMC) but only small part, strictly speaking it's not necessary to have a good name, many popular games have names that aren't good.

Salsa

oh c'mon now, you are playing a game that is called Rocket League, how is this any better name?
a good name can be part of the success (see DMC) but only small part, strictly speaking it's not necessary to have a good name, many popular games have names that aren't good.

? Rocket League sounds fucking badass

Airscape sounds like a cleaning product

its an exception to the rule stll cause Rocket League could be called Turd Burglars but you 'get it' and are so compelled by it so fast that it wouldnt make a difference. game is one in a million

people look at a gif and they wanna play. it hits that aspect

MUnited83

For you.

Rocket League is a pretty good name and very recognizable. Just look at the original's name and how well it sold: "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars"

Dota 2 should've moved to MT Framework naw'mean
Emoticon_troll.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Rocket League is evocative. A league with rockets. Sure, the name could be used with a lot of different genres, but it helps sell a game that by all rights should be called Soccar.

Airscape means nothing to me. I'd assume it was an app for my phone sooner than a game I want to play.

Arthea

? Rocket League sounds fucking badass

Airscape sounds like a cleaning product

its an exception to the rule stll cause Rocket League could be called Turd Burglars but you 'get it' and are so compelled by it so fast that it wouldnt make a difference. game is one in a million

people look at a gif and they wanna play. it hits that aspect

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This? is badass, Rocket League sounds like some midschoolers league, but that's besides the point, as an amazing game doesn't really need badass name, it can be called Turd Burglars as you say and still would sell, probably.

Salsa

well you're alone arthea

aloooOOoOOOone

also, I always looked at the Badman names and thought they were trying too hard.

you can go over, too

Tizoc

They're avatars of 2 dudes so for some bizarre reason I mix you two up.
Then again you both post really good video game insights and points so there's that too :p

Also not Steam related but this is fantastic
http://ff9.ocremix.org/

Salsa

I played against a guy called Soccar

I also played against a guy called "Pele but with cars"

game should be called the latter

Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This? is badass, Rocket League sounds like some midschoolers league, but that's besides the point, as an amazing game doesn't really need badass name, it can be called Turd Burglars as you say and still would sell, probably.

but its like you need a name that makes me go "what is that?" Badman has that, Rocket League has it as well. Instead of Airscape I would've called that "Cats in Space, BITCH!" You see that and you go "woah why is that title so hostile?" now you're thinking of my weird little (lame looking) indie game.

morningbus

You Lucky Piece Of Shit, You Had No Bearing On Whether That Goal Was Made > Rocket League.

Nyoro SF

A good name is so so critical to success if you aren't building off past legacy.
"Airscape" doesn't mean much to me, but "Rocket League" sounded amazing before I even knew what the hell the game was about.

Salsa

Rocket League is perfect cause of the long run mainly

like yeah you coulda made it funny like the original's name but ultimately they're clearly going for an eSports sorta crowd and Rocket League has a good balance of dumb and real / normal sounding

Arthea

I can't be only one that thought Rocket League is a lame name as far as game names go, seriously, how could this be? Is it an opposite earth or something?

Maniac

Banned
Each one kinda only had one really good dlc. Point Lookout was really good for Fallout 3 and New Vega's Old World Blues was fun. The rest were kinda trash.

I loved the shit out of... Err, Dead Money, was it?

Ded Moolah.
A good time to buy a Bethesda game is when the complete collection is $5 or lower during Steam sale.
Yes, you might wait a year or two. But by that time you will have community bugfix patches, not to mention mods.
#FriendsDon'tLetFriendsPreorderGames

Eh, I got it for £20 off of GMG... If those orders are valid, anyway. (I've yet to get it refunded, at the very least)

So $30 wouldn't be too bad to put ontop, but still probably not gonna be worth it for me. Especially since Beth games tend to be best played with fresh playthroughs for expansions and mods and all that jazz.

morningbus

Brace yourself SteamGAF end of gaming as we know begins (Apple conference is Live). :D
The only good thing about Apple conferences is that it makes Google get off its duff and spruce up that feature that's been in Android for a few years.

Salsa

was wondering if there was a livestream of the apple thing just for kicks while I cook

1. Livestream: apple (Requires: Safari on Mac/iOS, Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, or an Apple TV)

of course. the streaming of the thing is already Apple as fuck

yea keep that shit you rich weirdos

people seriously jumping in on a Season Pass with nothing really of note to show for it? Sure, Bethesda has produced a large quantity of DLC for their games but it's the quality that's always in question.

I sure cant wait to get the full game next year for $20 or less though.

derExperte

When I came to GAF all these years ago the Gaming frontpage got a new thread about somethingsomethingApplesomethingGAMINGsomething on a daily basis. Never again I hope.

morningbus

for once I have no idea what you are talking about, what feature?
Whatever feature they're touting this confrence. It's a general statement.

I'm more amazed you've been able to follow my posts up until this point, honestly.

people seriously jumping in on a Season Pass with nothing really of note to show for it? Sure, Bethesda has produced a large quantity of DLC for their games but it's the quality that's always in question.

I sure cant wait to get the full game next year for $20 or less though.

i hate that there are people there defending spending $30 on content that devs don't even know what it is yet, or how much you'll get. Its like, you want my money but you don't even know what you're gonna make, like what?

Salsa

give me DLC by Obsidian and i'll buy the Turd Colored Plastic Pip-Boy Extra Bonus Building Minecraft Shit In It NukaCola HaHa Right Guys™ edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom