• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad i passed my 52 games a year already because i would be sweating bullets thanks to MGSV. If MGSV had come out early in the year i dont know if i could've made it happen

derExperte

This doesn't really matter when it comes to the various soldiers, as they're not long for this world anyway, but the game also throws civilians at you fairly early on, and these fuckers can't make up their mind as to what will set them off. You can kill them, yes, but in order to get the crucial skill point in each level, you can't kill them or let them spot you. This leads to some purely stealth sections, which Ronin just isn't equipped to handle.

Why are the skill points crucial?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Q7ZRobF.jpg

Teggy

Why are the skill points crucial?

The skill points get you new abilities. You really need the new abilities to not get incredibly frustrated on the later levels. Except each successive level makes it harder to earn its skill point. So you can wind up like me, who is partway through the 2nd chapter and have missed the last 2 skill points. So the game is getting hard to the point where I'm ready to quit. It's not a great way to implement a skill system.

Vlad

Why are people hating on Ronin? =/

I thought it was really good!

Well, it's not really "people", it's more "person". I imagine that it would come down to how picky someone is and how much certain issues are likely to turn them off of the game. For example, games that have incorrect button prompts bug the hell out of me, but it's not a dealbreaker.

It's just that for me, all the various issues in Ronin ended up piling up and becoming intolerable by the end of the game. If anything, I could see myself going back and replaying some of the levels in the game, because I had a lot of fun with the combat, and would recommend that anybody else who already owns it do the same.

If it sounds like I'm conflicted, that's because I am. I don't tend to write a lot of Steam reviews, but I was thinking throughout my entire playthrough of Ronin whether I'd hypothetically rate it as a thumbs-up or thumbs-down.

Things would often go like this:

<swings on the grappling hook, knocking a solider out a window and into power lines, killing him>
"Thumbs up!"

<Glitches through a wall, requiring a reset to the last checkpoint and a repeat of the last ten minutes>
"Thumbs down!"

<Glitches through a different wall, requiring another reset and a second repeat of the last ten minutes>
"Thumbs down and damn near ragequitting!"

<Crashes through a skylight, landing on a guy. Stabs the guy before his buddies notice, leaps into the air to dodge incoming bullets, throws shurikens at everybody in the room, stunning some, sending others out nearby windows to their doom.>
"Thumbs up!"

I honestly might still go back and try to beat the last level at some point once I cool down from my annoyance at it. All the issues I have with the game are patchable if the developer deems them worthy of fixking. The only thing I'm worried about is if he thinks that the gargantuan difficulty spike in the last level is justified.

Arthea

I didn't think Ronin was too hard, and I did it with no skill points and best ending first try :p

if that's not blatant brag post I don't know what it is

have you noticed that whenever some or other unfairness or frustrating moment in games is brought up, there is always someone who is so much better than you that it's not even a challenge or problem or anything really. Fascinating, isn't it?

Uzzy

With glitches, you just have to hope that they'll eventually be fixed, allowing for whatever gameplay is there to shine through. Which in Ronin's case, is really damn good gameplay (minus the civvies).

AHA-Lambda

if that's not blatant brag post I don't know what it is

have you noticed that whenever some or other unfairness or frustrating moment in games is brought up, there is always someone who is so much better than you that it's not even a challenge or problem or anything really. Fascinating, isn't it?

giphy.gif

Vlad

The stealth parts with the civilians were pretty annoying too. Needed more consistency in behaviour, and maybe some actual stealth mechanics too. It felt like there was always one way and one way only to get past the civilians without setting off the alarm, which was quite a departure from the freedom the combat gave you.

Right. It almost felt more like a puzzle game than a stealth game at a few points. The part where you
had to send the elevator up to distract the civilian by the window
gave me fits for a couple reasons:
first, you never HAD to do that once in the game at all. I didn't even realize it was possible to send the elevator somewhere without being in it. It also was made worse by the fact that the two rooms the elevator stopped in didn't fit on the screen at the same time. This meant that you had to stand by the elevator, scroll the screen up, and notice that there was a prompt by the door on the upper floor. It was just such a clunky solution to the puzzle.

The last level was.. well, in theory it's awesome. The new mechanic that gets brought in perfectly fits the 'roaring rampage of revenge' theme, and it's a suitably tough challenge to finish the game off. But the lack of checkpoints turns what should have been a glorious finale into a real slog. I fought my way through and got the Good Ending, but that was more my stubbornness coming in than anything else.

Yeah, I felt the exact same. At first there was a "wait, what's happening here" moment, and then I realized what was happening and thought it was a really neat idea. I think what ruins it is how the guys with machine guns kind of negate the whole mechanic.

The skill points get you new abilities. You really need the new abilities to not get incredibly frustrated on the later levels. Except each successive level makes it harder to earn its skill point. So you can wind up like me, who is partway through the 2nd chapter and have missed the last 2 skill points. So the game is getting hard to the point where I'm ready to quit. It's not a great way to implement a skill system.

It's hard, but I could see it being doable. The thing is, even if you don't have any skills, that means that you get to use the Limit Break every 4 or 5 turns, which is EXTREMELY useful if planned out correctly.

Nabs

In other news, Elliot Quest is €3.49 on Humble.
Still kicking myself for missing the $1 IGS deal. :\

My favorite game of last year. $3.39 is a steal for the amount of high quality content you get. The game is huge. It has a lot of great areas and bosses that are completely optional. I recommend keeping notes on locked areas and doors, so you can come back to it later when you have the keys you need.

I know no one will play it, but I always feel the need to say something about the game when it comes up.

$3.39 on the Humble Store

Uzzy

Right. It almost felt more like a puzzle game than a stealth game at a few points. The part where you
had to send the elevator up to distract the civilian by the window
gave me fits for a couple reasons:
first, you never HAD to do that once in the game at all. I didn't even realize it was possible to send the elevator somewhere without being in it. It also was made worse by the fact that the two rooms the elevator stopped in didn't fit on the screen at the same time. This meant that you had to stand by the elevator, scroll the screen up, and notice that there was a prompt by the door on the upper floor. It was just such a clunky solution to the puzzle.

I had exactly the same issue. It took a trip to the Steam forums and me seeing someone say you could do that before I was able to get past that point. Frustrating stuff. If there's to be a Ronin 2, I'm hoping that they improve the stealth parts and actually give you options, or just get rid entirely and focus on that great combat.

Yeah, I felt the exact same. At first there was a "wait, what's happening here" moment, and then I realized what was happening and thought it was a really neat idea. I think what ruins it is how the guys with machine guns kind of negate the whole mechanic.

It's poor execution of what was a great idea. There's a real gem of a game in Ronin, but it just lacks polish.

Turfster

Apple TV apps have no persistent storage and need to get everything from the cloud.
They're also limited to 200 meg on device, the rest has to be downloaded on the fly.

HTPC/Console killer.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rats - Time is running out! -- MB-EB76651169C45ACF - Taken by derExperte. 4 entrants total.
Vortex -- MB-8C55B3E0E91E8CEA - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
Nyctophobia -- MB-5FA7519A216D87B1 - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
Volstead -- MB-C699912128E27CC3 - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
The Falling Sun -- MB-AFB80CB03C6BC8FC - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.

t1441830048z1.png

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Now that Dodo 2 got Source 2 update it is time for CS:GO. What SteamGAF thinks about that?

P.S. Obligatory daily Mad Max screens

I stopped playing cs:go seriously a few months ago so can't really care anymore.
I highly doubt it will fix the problems serious cs:go players have with the game, if they even port it to source 2.

Like all their hitbox issues, sound issues, tick rate and so forth.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Battlepaths -- MB-76ED6521733CF540 - Taken by fertygo. 1 entrants total.
Nihilumbra -- MB-1AACBB213C783410 - Taken by Spirited. 3 entrants total.
Miasmata -- MB-1269BE0CCA8991C3 - Taken by D3RANG3D. 1 entrants total.
Musclecar Online -- MB-34CB991E0D7485B5 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
FarSky -- MB-E4BBCBCE9E67838C - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Stronghold Crusader HD -- MB-BE1DDCFB972307C3 - Taken by Kurt Russell. 3 entrants total.
Culpa Innata -- MB-89D83558AD56F0D9 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
Marine Sharpshooter II -- MB-7BBC0B7DD70789E1
Vortex -- MB-8C55B3E0E91E8CEA - Taken by SSPssp. 4 entrants total.
Volstead -- MB-C699912128E27CC3 - Taken by Hektor
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-F5C086F6F1D2A4F7 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Anodyne -- MB-68999990E9124E15 - Taken by fspm. 1 entrants total.
Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-5CE3361DE68E8288 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 1 entrants total.
t1441831008z1.png

Copons

They are not same i am just trying not to spoil too much and there are areas that i still have to see :D

They sure are pretty, but damn! It seems that you and any other people I've seen screens of, went photo mode in the exact same locations with the exact same time and weather conditions. :D

derExperte

Since I won mine through a raffle once upon a time....

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gauntlet -- MB-EAE5287E34B4E99B - Taken by someguyinahat. 26 entrants total.

t1441841568z1.png

Jawmuncher

Hektor

Are y'all just speedrunning through the games or how did you manage to play through so many of them? Im still sitting at 27 myself and i consider myself to be a rather intensive vidyagamer.

Jawmuncher

Are y'all just speedrunning through the games or how did you manage to play through so many of them? Im still sitting at 27 myself and i consider myself to be a rather intensive vidyagamer.

Some games I played are short, but they still count. Besides that as I have said in the past I'm more about playing, beating, and moving onto the next. You won't really see me spending hundreds of hours on one game. Like some people here will do when fallout 4 comes out.

That's and I don't really play MP either, which helps a lot.

most games arent that long. And i kinda wash my hands of a game once i finish it though MGSV seems like a game i might really get deeply into.

but otherwise, yeah, its 2015 most games aren't more than 6-8 hours long, with indies typically being 3-5 hours long.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
most games arent that long

Yeah, it really depends on which games you enjoy playing. As someone who typically enjoys RPG games, I can say that my total games completed in a year tends to be 1/2 RPG, but probably 80% of my play time is with RPG games. For example this year I've finished Final Fantasy XIII, Dragon Quest II and III, Demon Souls, Fantasy Life, Final Fantasy X, and 4 different Ys games. While I've finished 49 games so far, these 10 games together have probably made up the majority of my time spent gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom