• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously lewd.

I can't get a single read on Shoot 1UP. What a bizarre game.
They're the best option in lots of games.
"Best" option, or do you mean "only available" option?

Their usefulness is overinflated thanks to the prominence and popularity of consoles. As far as controls are concerned, they hamstring many genres; most prominently, RTS and shooters are watered down or crippled by traditional controllers, with many more that are "functional" but are in no way the "best."

The one genre I'll give controllers is platformers. The degrees of movement are critical for most games in that genre.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will say, Steam's getting a lot less uptight with nudity in games.

I mostly think that's a good thing, but I will admit I'm a bit worried now people are going to try and make 'shocking' games and release them on Steam. There's signs of this getting started already, and knowing the world I am predicting it's not going to get better soon. Probably games with questionable titles/promo art/content to attract attention. They've of course always existed, but there might be more made for this purpose as Steam grows a bit more lax, and I'm at least not looking forward to it.

(for one bit of clarification, I'm not just talking about Shoot 1UP here, in the last week there's been at least three games released where the main characters have their pixelated dicks out, VN rules getting more lax, there's been some recent attention grabbing Steam banners on the store page, an I predict it's going to get worse).

I actually have real large hands, but for some reason I have always preferred holding small controllers in my hands. That's why the Dual Shock 3 to me, feels better than the Xbox 360 controller and Dual Shock 4 controller.

It have to be said though, that those aren't bad controllers, and that I really like them as well.

But all of this will be old as soon as I get my hands on the Steam and Elite controllers. Those look great, though with larger handles.

Honestly, the build quality of the DS4 is garbage really. I have had 4 of them now, and 3 of them have had problems.
Build quality was one of the main reasons I went with the DS3 over the DS4. Also the price is $80 tax in for a DS4 in Canada. Which is ridiculous. Also some of the buttons on the DS4 like share, options, and the touchpad are largely useless while PC gaming. (I know the touchpad works a bit.)

For those reasons I stuck with the DS3. It just works.

And yes I have smaller hands but you know what they say about dudes with small hands, right?

I've got an average sized dick.

Tizoc

Alright kids time to learn Arcana Heart 3
iYqzEz0.gif

Yeah you know you wanna do that ish!
the character on the left is a boy

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Sorry, bro, it's a meme by now.
Oh I know, but since I actually read things I had to do it :p

that post stressed the fuck out of me

pls go away
Which post? Did I miss something?

DmC DE give huge changelog particularly for game balance and return of lock-on, also few additional difficulty mode.. I want it
If it was I would have bought it on PC. :p
Good points both of you, in that case it does make sense to do a release of it on PC (especially given that DmC sold like 500K on PC), and now you have made curious on what it actually had so I'll go and check it out :p

Holy shit that was intense

While people know the artist and some songs from the album, I doubt The Prophet's Song is widely listened to outside of people who listen to the whole album often. Most people go straight for Bohemian Rhapsody and call it a day, I would think.

I hope I'm wrong though. The song is awesome

Anyway, that was last year, summer sale he mentioned it. I felt good about it
Yeah, that's probably true, that song was the first thing I thought of when I read his tag though XD
And it's indeed awesome.

X05 quoting this reminds me I meant to ask what this is referring to (and at least I'm helping the thread get to the next page).
Kojima's absolute lack of subtlety.

Got a shiny new white Dualshock 3 as my new PC controller. Really is the best controller ever made. And so sexy in white. Playing Metal Gear on a PC with a Playstation controller just feels right.
Nooooo, the d-pad is dreadful and triggers are terrible, DS4 is miles ahead of it.

DS3 is awful, DS4 is good though.
This.

what I like about those long quote posts from X05 is that he automatically guarantees that he'll never be quoted

how ironic

I aint gonna quote someone and delete all the text I dont want and am not refering to
Given that I'm actually one of the few (or the only one!) that actually reads the topic, you know you could just put "X05: blah" if you don't feel like quoting the thing.
Also, there are a few examples of being quoted before you :p

Tizoc

No, I meant what Transformers 1984 thing. Tizoc?

Well the current comic had a few stories wherein they feature concepts seen in the book 1984, while I can't find that a good example to show it atm, one story featured an alt. timeline Cybertron where the Autobot-Decepticon War never happened and the ruling senate would go to the extreme to silence anyone who defies them and even spy on those close to their detractors, such as replacing their heads with monitors that only displayed text if that 'bot ever wanted to say something; getting rid of one's face is seen like taking away their identity.
Hope it didn't sound too confusing but that's what I mean by the series doing better 1984 inspirations than whatever Kojima likely did in MGS5 :p
Also I'm bored and this is good excuse as any for me to post this
q3Odrcd.jpg

Tailgate_19_80_4.jpg

TF Devastation should get an Ultra Magnus skin for Optimus since both toys used to use the same mold IIRC.

Pachimari

That Pokemon Go mobile game is neat.
It enforces gamers to go outside and take a little exercise. :D
It looks like shit.
The idea is fine but looking at Ingress, that game never made me go out to battle enemies. If I were in my teen years it might have been cool but not now.

It looks like shit.
The idea is fine but looking at Ingress, that game never made me go out to battle enemies. If I were in my teen years it might have been cool but not now.

It promises pokemon battles as well though.
But yeah, unless there's an actual gameplay video/footage, I'll remain skeptical.

Mikurden

i have it, its decent but i'd say wait for the steam controller.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I'd have to wait and see how that turns out -- it's so different from anything else and I'm not sure about the lack of a normal d-pad.

Well the current comic had a few stories wherein they feature concepts seen in the book 1984, while I can't find that a good example to show it atm, one story featured an alt. timeline Cybertron where the Autobot-Decepticon War never happened and the ruling senate would go to the extreme to silence anyone who defies them and even spy on those close to their detractors, such as replacing their heads with monitors that only displayed text if that 'bot ever wanted to say something; getting rid of one's face is seen like taking away their identity.
Hope it didn't sound too confusing but that's what I mean by the series doing better 1984 inspirations than whatever Kojima likely did in MGS5 :p
Also I'm bored and this is good excuse as any for me to post this
q3Odrcd.jpg

Tailgate_19_80_4.jpg

TF Devastation should get an Ultra Magnus skin for Optimus since both toys used to use the same mold IIRC.

Ah, I see. I just love that book so I was curious to know if Transformers had done a story arc like it in one of the comic or cartoon series (or god forbid, one of the live-action movies I didn't see).

EDIT: Couldn't resist adding a photo I found on Wikipedia that unites both of these topics
452px-Feliz_1984.JPG

zkylon

zkylewd
i wouldn't say mirror's edge takes much from 1984

i mean the way the story is presented in mirror's edge is so shit that i actually was rooting for the bad guys

like the city looks clean and organized, nothing to really suggest there's something evil going on behind the curtain except for what the impossibly unlikable illegal home delivery ppl are telling you

Hektor

Kojima can go to hell.
"the missing link of metal gear saga" lol nope, "dealing with taboos" lol nope. "we get to see big boss turn into a villain" LOL NOPE... fucker can't even finish a fucking game he spent 7 years on, shit has to be cut and rushed because he's shit...

I'm glad Konami fired him, I would have fired him too.

I hope he doesn't work in this industry again.

He's the Japanese Peter Molyneux

"The best is yet to come"

Do only click when you've finished the game:
https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3kbjuq/spoilerish_somethings_coming_on_911/

-MD-

Seriously lewd.

I can't get a single read on Shoot 1UP. What a bizarre game.

"Best" option, or do you mean "only available" option?

Their usefulness is overinflated thanks to the prominence and popularity of consoles. As far as controls are concerned, they hamstring many genres; most prominently, RTS and shooters are watered down or crippled by traditional controllers, with many more that are "functional" but are in no way the "best."

The one genre I'll give controllers is platformers. The degrees of movement are critical for most games in that genre.

I mean best, try playing REmake or Rocket League with a controller and a keyboard and tell me which feels better.

Knurek

i wouldn't say mirror's edge takes much from 1984

i mean the way the story is presented in mirror's edge is so shit that i actually was rooting for the bad guys

like the city looks clean and organized, nothing to really suggest there's something evil going on behind the curtain except for what the impossibly unlikable illegal home delivery ppl are telling you

Well, Rhianna Pratchett, QED.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, Rhianna Pratchett, QED.
well i don't know much of her other work, but mirror's edge version of a dystopia was pretty much 100% dependent on preexisting bias against future controlling governments that you have from much better games and crap so it falls completely flat the second you actually ask it the question "but what is so bad about your life, faith?"

like, it's pretty clear that in deus ex or half life 2 regular ppl are having a rough time and you can really easily trace that back to evil governments doing evil shit, mirror's edge doesn't bother in the slightest with that and it's like "trust me, shit's bad", which is probably the worst style of storytelling ever and is one of the big reasons i really don't like mirror's edge

it's like, evil government is forcing everyone to have like fabulous interior design, alright

Knurek

well i don't know much of her other work, but mirror's edge version of a dystopia was pretty much 100% dependent on preexisting bias against future controlling governments that you have from much better games and crap so it falls completely flat the second you actually ask it the question "but what is so bad about your life, faith?"

Tomb Raider 2013, Thief 2014

Caerith

like, it's pretty clear that in deus ex or half life 2 regular ppl are having a rough time and you can really easily trace that back to evil governments doing evil shit, mirror's edge doesn't bother in the slightest with that and it's like "trust me, shit's bad", which is probably the worst style of storytelling ever and is one of the big reasons i really don't like mirror's edge

it's like, evil government is forcing everyone to have like fabulous interior design, alright
Well it's not like life in Oceania is all that bad if you toe the line and don't think about it. Where I think Deus Ex or Half-Life 2 aren't really like 1984 is that regular people are having a rough time-- like, the evil of 1984 isn't that the government is oppressive, but that people don't even know they're being oppressed and are, in fact, quite devoted to their oppressors. The people in Deus Ex and Half-Life 2 are mad as hell and itching to riot.

Wok

View the game's community hub and click the "Follow" link. That'll remove it from the queue. It's an inelegant solution, but the only other alternative is to use a VPN and switch store regions.

Also a bit inelegant, but you can open the console (F12 in most browsers) and copy in:

Code:
$J.post( 'http://store.steampowered.com/recommended/ignorerecommendation/', { sessionid: g_sessionID, appid: window.location.pathname.match(/\/(\d+)\//)[1] });

This will take the app of the current page you're on and add it to your "not interested" list.

EDIT: This obviously doesn't work in the Steam client

Thanks for the tips.

By the way, I have stumbled upon a game called Collisions: http://store.steampowered.com/app/390910
It reminds me of NightSky: http://store.steampowered.com/app/99700/
To the point I am confused this is legal. Edit: Okay, the gameplay is apparently different: https://steamcommunity.com/app/390910/discussions/0/535151589908479007/

zkylon

zkylewd
Well it's not like life in Oceania is all that bad if you toe the line and don't think about it. Where I think Deus Ex or Half-Life 2 aren't really like 1984 is that regular people are having a rough time-- like, the evil of 1984 isn't that the government is oppressive, but that people don't even know they're being oppressed and are, in fact, quite devoted to their oppressors. The people in Deus Ex and Half-Life 2 are mad as hell and itching to riot.
yeah that's true, but i think it's important to note that 1984 as a condemnation of like the ussr or whatever is like actively trying to say things are still pretty shitty

i mostly cited half life 2 cos like city 17 sort of fits perfectly the image of oceania i had in my head back when i read the book

so while it doesn't perfectly fit for the reasons you mentioned, it's not like something perfectly pristine and nice "on the surface" (tho no evidence is ever provided of there being anything underneath) like in mirror's edge is much better either

Uzzy

Brave New World is the superior dystopia novel anyway.

There aren't really any games I can think of that have really borrowed more than surface level stuff from 1984. Remember Me comes close with it's themes about memory editing, but that's it really.

Caerith

yeah that's true, but i think it's important to note that 1984 as a condemnation of like the ussr or whatever is like actively trying to say things are still pretty shitty

i mostly cited half life 2 cos like city 17 sort of fits perfectly the image of oceania i had in my head back when i read the book

so while it doesn't perfectly fit for the reasons you mentioned, it's not like something perfectly pristine and nice "on the surface" (tho no evidence is ever provided of there being anything underneath) like in mirror's edge is much better either
1984 being used as a condemnation of other nations is usually pretty ironic.

Brave New World is the superior dystopia novel anyway.

There aren't really any games I can think of that have really borrowed more than surface level stuff from 1984. Remember Me comes close with it's themes about memory editing, but that's it really.

Remember Me I think tried the hardest. I mean, it even takes place in 2084. Half-Life 2 tried the hardest to look like the 1984 commercial.

Mikurden

I was going to make the same point as Caerith, but I haven't actually played Mirror's Edge, so wasn't sure -- maybe it's more like the soft oppression of Brave New World, where things seem pretty great so you mostly don't notice it.

zkylon

zkylewd
1984 being used as a condemnation of other nations is usually pretty ironic.

?

also yea remember me also sort of fits

sadly that game was boring af

I was going to make the same point as Caerith, but I haven't actually played Mirror's Edge, so wasn't sure -- maybe it's more like the soft oppression of Brave New World, where things seem pretty great so you mostly don't notice it.
not really, it's just a total case of telling u instead of showing which ends up feeling really dumb because everyone looks so clean and pretty and also because all the people that are supposed to be your allies are obnoxious and kind of dicks

also i dunno what brave new world is, wasn't that like a civ 5 expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom