• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikurden

Brave New World is the superior dystopia novel anyway.

They're both valuable, but nothing tops 1984 for me -- it's just such a chillingly complete description of a permanent totalitarian system (especially with all of the language stuff) that it just knocks me out every time.

This is the STEAM book club thread, right? :)

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I didn't like Brave New World. More of the implications that it has had, especially in regards to mental health care, where parallels to soma are just forced by those biased against pharmacology.

1984, Fahrenheit 451 are way better.

Caerith

?

also yea remember me also sort of fits

sadly that game was boring af
I mean if a politician says "look how 1984 they are" he implies "look how 1984 we aren't" but really they aren't so different.

not really, it's just a total case of telling u instead of showing which ends up feeling really dumb because everyone looks so clean and pretty and also because all the people that are supposed to be your allies are obnoxious and kind of dicks

also i dunno what brave new world is, wasn't that like a civ 5 expansion
Brave New World is a more sci-fi-ey dystopian novel.

The Civ V expansion was named deliberately.

Arthea

I never was able to finish reading Brave New World, it's so incredibly boring, I'm not even sure why it is considered good.

A Fish Aficionado

I already do have a sizable physical book collection.
The Kindle Paperwhite is awesome.

I buy too many books I don't have the time to read.

Tizoc

Speaking of books my next planned purchases include
Isaac Asimov books
J. Strange & Mr. Norrell

Other than that...Comic books :V

Arthea

I already do have a sizable physical book collection.
The Kindle Paperwhite is awesome.

I buy too many books I don't have the time to read.

physical? I went all digital couple of years ago, saves so much space! living space no less.
Oh, and unlike games I have read all of my books, I probably have somewhat smaller pile of books than games, but not by much.
too lazy to count.

Mikurden

I mean if a politician says "look how 1984 they are" he implies "look how 1984 we aren't" but really they aren't so different.

Well that depends entirely on who the "they" and "we" are -- I don't think any nation in history has come closer to 1984 than North Korea. (I remember reading an article where someone visiting North Korea had a copy of 1984 with them; their minder saw it and asked to borrow it only to nervously return it the next day, saying "I don't like science-fiction".)

Arthea

Isaac Asimov books
J. Strange & Mr. Norrell

I know about tastes and all, but I'd advise against buying Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, it's hella boring too, while some Asimov books, like Foundation trilogy, even if naive are not bad, The Gods Themselves probably the best of his.

I don't like eBooks. They are unnatural. I like to feel the pages with my fingers and smell the paper. It's more visceral.

Also insects live in books and insects can't live in eBooks. Everyone needs a home.

If you have a huge house and space to keep your books, then it's a good way to look at things, but if you have small apartment in a huge city without prospects getting larger one ever, e-books are second best thing, trust me on this.

Ozium

I don't like eBooks. They are unnatural. I like to feel the pages with my fingers and smell the paper. It's more visceral.

Also insects live in books and insects can't live in eBooks. Everyone needs a home.

Tizoc

I know about tastes and all, but I'd advise against buying Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, it's hella boring too, while some Asimov books, like Foundation trilogy, even if naive are not bad, The Gods Themselves probably the best of his.

I watched the J. Strange tv show and it got me interested to get the book XP

I also plan on getting books related to video game history and development too.

Caerith

Isaac Asimov books
J. Strange & Mr. Norrell

I don't read comic books any more, but I'm thinking of changing that with Archie vs Predator.

And also, given how freely the Archie people explore alternate continuities, I'd really like to see them work something out with someone like Telltale. Put, say, Archie vs Punisher into a 5-episode season this year, then next year the zombie apocalypse Archie, etc.

Well that depends entirely on who the "they" and "we" are -- I don't think any nation in history has come closer to 1984 than North Korea. (I remember reading an article where someone visiting North Korea had a copy of 1984 with them; their minder saw it and asked to borrow it only to nervously return it the next day, saying "I don't like science-fiction".)

North Korea succeeded where many others have tried, but that doesn't mean others don't still try.

Tizoc

I don't read comic books any more, but I'm thinking of changing that with Archie vs Predator.

And also, given how freely the Archie people explore alternate continuities, I'd really like to see them work something out with someone like Telltale. Put, say, Archie vs Punisher into a 5-episode season this year, then next year the zombie apocalypse Archie, etc.

North Korea succeeded where many others have tried, but that doesn't mean others don't still try.

The Sabrina, Afterlife with Archie and the upcoming Vericona/Vampirella books are all pretty good, their horror books are fantastic.
The new Archie comic series is very good too.

Mikurden

hadn't heard about this -- so great:
Archie_vs._Predator_1.jpg

Pachimari

I wonder what I can get for a PS3 + 16 games, a Move controller and two SingStar microphones. Games include Tales of Xillia 1&2 Day One editions, Tekken Tag 2 special edition, FFXIV Collector's Edition etc.

I'm thinking something along $180.

Hektor

Im reading through Lovecraft atm. Not that anybody cares, but i wanted to show that i read books too.

I wonder what I can get for a PS3 + 16 games, a Move controller and two SingStar microphones. Games include Tales of Xillia 1&2 Day One editions, Tekken Tag 2 special edition, FFXIV Collector's Edition etc.

I'm thinking something along $180.

50$ off of your next purchase above 100$ if you trade it in in Gamestop.

Wait, are people actually buying eBooks? Books belong on paper. Paper is the only material that has all books. Why would you buy the next book on your kindle if the last big book has been paper exclusive?

Milamber

I haven't bought a physical book in so long. I'm just reading translated Japanese online web novels at the moment. "Regarding Reincarnated to a Slime" is my current fave.

Tizoc

Milamber Alert
b943b294.jpg

Artwork for upcoming Vanillaware game for PS4+PSV.

Really wish Vanillaware games would be put on Steam they'd get respectable sales IMO.

Arthea

Wait, are people actually buying eBooks? Books belong on paper. Paper is the only material that has all books. Why would you buy the next book on your kindle if the last big book has been paper exclusive?

hi, guest from distant past, you probably think that cutting all those forests to print those books on is awesome idea too, because you know, it supplies so many people with jobs, am I right?

Chariot

I dislike digital comics and novels, I love the smell and feeling of paper. First thing I do with a new book is open it softly, feel along the pages with my finger and sniff it's inner sanctum. Can't habe that joy digitally.

Milamber

Milamber Alert
b943b294.jpg

Artwork for upcoming Vanillaware game for PS4+PSV.

Really wish Vanillaware games would be put on Steam they'd get respectable sales IMO.

Hope it's running on MT Frameworks then.

I dislike digital comics and novels, I love the smell and feeling of paper. First thing I do with a new book is open it softly, feel along the pages with my finger and sniff it's inner sanctum. Can't habe that joy digitally.

I'm fine if there is some service that allows me to "crossbuy" my physical books with my digital ones so I can have pure digitals when I'm flying.

Maniac

Banned
It's still a spoiler though.
I've never watch any of the game's trailer except the reveal trailer in 2013 or so.

... Which heavily emphasised child soldiers...

... Most of which were cut from the game like half the game was in total. lel.
This is a bizarre thing to spoiler, but OK.

No need to restart. Any explosive will work, though it will take multiple hits. Worst case scenario: run away; you should be able to outmaneuver it even in such a close range and find a better approach from there.

Or just fulton it. :x
oh yea while its on my mind, whats up with the bs child soilders in mgs5? "OH SNAKE DON'T KILL THEM OR YOU FAIL DA MISSION"

Da fuck? this is war, if they shoot at me someone's gonna die and it ain't me. what kind of nonsense is that, i don't care if they're kids. don't put them in the game if you won't allow me to defend myself against them.

That shit got me so mad, there better not be a lot of them later on

I bet theres a lot of them

Yeah, Big Boss' descent into villainy is almost none-existing, really.

Arthea

let's get back to steam for a second.
Anybody had perfectly correct login and password not work while trying to login into steam community several times for no reason? If that's a bug, it's really scary one and I never encountered it before.

rrvv

some spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (rrvv, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

DeadCore -- MB-D7F4303C132B4F1A - Taken by fuzzy123
Platformines -- MB-E8D0E74E54465473 - Taken by gurm3n
Beware Planet Earth! -- MB-79B86B38D8330476 - Taken by bobnowhere
Star Trek -- MB-487B89FA8DAAFF3B - Taken by Deques

Knurek

Going back to OT, anyone try the new GOG Galaxy update?
I really like the round game icons they use for game list.
Also, finally an option to close the program on closing (instead of minimizing to tray).

Deques

Anybody had perfectly correct login and password not work while trying to login into steam community several times for no reason? If that's a bug, it's really scary one and I never encountered it before.

Steam? What is that, get back to NotSteamGAF!!

I haven't encountered that problem before. Maybe the login server is down?

A Fish Aficionado

have you had any emails from steam about any unsolicited logins?

That's... not how logins work.

Scenario A) Turn off caps lock

Scenario B) Stop visiting phishing sites

Scenario D) You're overlooking something.

Ignore misread it.

Be prepared for bundlejunk keys incoming.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Falling Sun -- MB-1C668BF16E338736 - Taken by Kuroyume
Vortex -- MB-DB76DC2FED9AB60F - Taken by Vuze

Arthea

have you had any emails from steam about any unsolicited logins?

checked it after first three tries, none

so weird

That's... not how logins work.

Scenario A) Turn off caps lock

Scenario B) Stop visiting phishing sites

Scenario D) You're overlooking something.

ya, no, I'm not overlooking anything, it finally worked after 10 tries or so when it didn't, it scared the hell out of me and to be honest I have problems with volvo captcha, it's too hard to see.

Steam? What is that, get back to NotSteamGAF!!

I haven't encountered that problem before. Maybe the login server is down?

maybe... who knows

edited: btw, aren't you supposed to be blocked for some time if too many tries or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom