• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Urgh the wait for Dragon's Dogma is going to be painful. Yes, yes I own it on 360 and have it on PS+ as well as having about 20 games on the go and 3 more still to come out that I've bought but it's not the same :(

Goes into the console racing comparison thread.
'Framerate isn't part of the visuals.'
Will never go into the console racing comparison thread again.

I went into a TV advice thread the other day that was full to the brim with ignorance and misinformation. Even more perplexing is that the 'enthusiasts' making these claims were so unwaveringly sure they were right despite hardly any of them agreeing with one another and even a cursory glance at a TV/Home Entertainment focused site like AVS or Rtings would make them look very silly. Then again after the 'My TV is an unique snowflake because I have zero display latency despite it being impossible' thread I should have know what to expect from this site.

kudoboi

CmiRJAx.jpg

EasyAntiCheat eSports

wow those screenshots explained nothing

What gets me most about Darksiders 2 is that it was developed in the death throes of THQ, and the game's quality (and reception) shows this.

Darksiders 1 was what everyone wanted more of. A Zelda-like experience with over-the-top gothic inspirations in a stylish and competent package.

The quasi-open design of Darksiders 2 just felt so convoluted. It may have been a better experience if I hadn't ever played Darksiders 1, but like you said, all I wanted was that very solid Zelda clone experience.

I didn't make much progress in 2 at all, while I devoured 1.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Could you post/PM it to me then please? A 2nd hand bookshop has older editions of the Foundation series, unless the newer ones have more stuff I wouldn't mind getting those as they're cheap :p
Both volumes of Asimov's Complete Stories are must-reads, in my opinion. It's a shame they stopped coming out at #2.

Dr Dogg

Well...
Store T's&C's said:
BY USING THIS SOFTWARE YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:

1. EasyAntiCheat is not compatible with other anti-cheat programs, therefore you must not run EasyAntiCheat if you wish to play with any other anti-cheat at the same time. The user is fully responsible in case his/her game account or cdkey gets banned or refused by the game, EasyAntiCheat or any other anti-cheat.

2. EasyAntiCheat finds game cheats by scanning games' memory, the system memory and verifying original game files on disk to ensure they have not been modified. Only games' folders (and subfolders) are verified to contain original game data. EasyAntiCheat may replace or remove permanently any modified or custom game files found in games' folders (and subfolders). The use of any custom models, textures, sprites or other modified game files may lead to permanent ban if they can be considered to give the player an unfair advantage over other players.

3. EasyAntiCheat will take screenshots of your game screen and upload them on public servers, viewable to everyone, if the server provider wishes so. The author of this software and EasyAntiCheat takes no responsibility of screenshots captured outside the game screen. If any personal or harmful information is captured into a screenshot, the user is fully responsible of the happened incident and any consequences it may result in. (In case this happens to you, please inform your server provider to remove unwanted screenshots from the server.)

4. EasyAntiCheat will scan system registry to detect forbidden modifications, settings or other features enabled to the game or graphic card drivers.

5. This software is distributed "as is" without any warranties whether expressed or implied. The creator of this software and EasyAntiCheat Solutions take no responsibility for possible damages or consequences caused by the use of this software. The user is fully responsible using this software in any way.

Dsyndrome

Going back to OT, anyone try the new GOG Galaxy update?
I really like the round game icons they use for game list.
Also, finally an option to close the program on closing (instead of minimizing to tray).
Best thing about the latest update is being able to open programs that are set for compatibility mode rather than having to just go to the program's folder. UI does look more streamlined and less cluttered with the smaller icons.

Dsyndrome

In Divinity: OS II news, Kickstarter passed $1.35 million, PIck A Skill Tree II is reached. Another opportunity to be disappointed when folks don't vote for polymorph abilities.

iosefe

I wouldn't agree with chronological order for the Foundation series. I think Second Foundation loses a bit of impact if you've already read Prelude and Forward.

i think a lot of people say to skip Prelude and Forward. so that fair

The list leaves out The End of Eternity. which from what i've heard should be read last.

I posted a negative review the other day and the creator contacted me flustered that I didn't ask for a refund in stead. I told him (or her, don't know) that just because I think it was a bad game and shared my opinion with others doesn't mean I want to stop owning it. Also I don't see the point of having a review system that only has positive reviews.

They're just looking for fair reviews, like any company.
In Divinity: OS II news, Kickstarter passed $1.35 million, PIck A Skill Tree II is reached. Another opportunity to be disappointed when folks don't vote for polymorph abilities.

Dammit, Dsyndrome. Why would you jinx the most important vote of the year... again!?

Dr Dogg

Price is crazy but then again so is the card's performance, thermals, power consumption and noise for such a small card. If you're loopy enough to buy one you could make an awesome M-ITX build that could be pack a hefty punch.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-nano,4285.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-nano-review,1.html

So this thing scans your own computer to see if you are cheating?
I'm sure all the cheaters will jump on this product!

Well that's how most of them worked back in the day (check your registry and inspect the application in memory) but seeing as they say it might conflict with other Anti-Cheat titles and support listed on the store page are all protected by VAC on Steam I'm woinder what use this has except for those who run Source titles outside of Steam.

That price is crazy.

The card is a pretty beefy little card though so, ill give them that. Still though.

Price is crazy but then again so is the card's performance, thermals, power consumption and noise for such a small card. If you're loopy enough to buy one you could make an awesome M-ITX build that could be pack a hefty punch.

Yeah it seems worth it for a M-ITX build which I still kind of want.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What is Tera, and why is it worth so many hours?
I can't seem to find it on Steam.

A F2P MMO which was removed from Steam on EU Steam since it being handled by the team of the US team and legal crap from the EU team. The combat system is more action oriented than most of MMOs. Pretty fun to play with friends or alone. Visually inconsistent but it has a nice art direction to forgive some of the inconsistensies with the visuals. You can perhaps download the game from the official website instead if you want to play. I believe the US version doesn't have much microtransaction crap like the Euro version so you might be better playing that version.

Classes gameplay (Missing a few of the new new added classes Gunner and Reaper

MUnited83

For you.
It's a neat little card, but it's just not what AMD need to focus on right now if they hope to regain any significant marketshare.

Knurek

Performance (at 1080p) comparable with GTX970, which also has a M-ITX variant and costs $300.
So yea... No wonder ATI is losing market share left and right

Well today kids I learnt that a 25-30% increase in frames is comparable. People will read into things as they like :p

Sure, it's way better at 1440p and up, but at 1080p it's even worse than GTX970 in CoDAW. I mean, does that seem like a performance worthy of such price difference to you?

Dr Dogg

Performance (at 1080p) comparable with GTX970, which also has a M-ITX variant and costs $300.
So yea... No wonder ATI is losing market share left and right

Well today kids I learnt that a 25-30% increase in frames is comparable. People will read into things as they like :p

I assumed the first skill tree level was the Polymorph level and the rest were competing for the second and maybe a coming third. Polymorph seems to be the one everyone is most excited for.

If wanting tentacles for arms is wrong I don't want to be right.

Vlad

Airscape demo now works. http://store.steampowered.com/app/317260/

Can't say I'm impressed, compared to the underappreciated Beatbuddy (looking at you, SteamGAF) with its beat mechanic and groovy songs there isn't a real hook and it lacks personality. You're a squid collecting things, yay. Until you get dizzy from the camera which is configurable but still wonky and sometimes way too close so I couldn't see enemies coming. Hard to judge the difficulty but the floaty controls could lead to frustration, game doesn't feel 'tight' if you know what I mean. Plus I'd call the visuals in general uninspired, same goes for the music.

I just gave the developer the benefit of the doubt and went the entire way through the demo, and oof, not only did it not improve my initial impression of "eh, it's an interesting concept that could be interesting to pick up on a bundle or something", but I ended up disliking it so much that I de-wishlisted it.

I completely agree that the camera is WAY too close for how fast you and the enemies move. Even without using the run button, I ended up having to stop every few seconds to make sure I wasn't about to go careening into some enemy that would come rushing in off the side of the screen.

Also, there really is an art to demo making in that if you're basing your game around a gimmick like this, you should really make sure that your demo includes an application of the gimmick that's actually interesting. Sure, there's a gravity switching mechanic, but there's never any moments in the demo that make me go "oohhh, that's really clever". Just your standard platforming tropes combined with the occasional ceiling that's eventually a floor.

It also doesn't help that most of the demo revolves around water levels which, due to the control scheme used for swimming, negate the entire gravity concept anyway. Sure, some of the water blocks are "floating", but that's not enough to sell a game on.

It makes me wonder if the game ever does anything interesting with the whole gravity mechanic. Judging by the trailer on the store page, it doesn't appear so.

I'm sure they'll get some more sales once they start bundling and/or doing some sales, but they really need to be self-aware enough to realize that they're not exactly breaking new ground here.

Oh, and by the way, just in case you missed my last post once again revising my opinion of Ronin, play Ronin.

Ryne

I bought Ronin on Nuuvem a while ago, and gave it a shot. I played through the first two levels and the tutorial section and gave up. I'm not very good at those type of puzzle action games and get frustrated easily. The first enemy that actually put up a fight against me killed me 20ish times in a row until I figured out how to deal with them.

That's what made me give up really. I can't deal with puzzle solving when I'm stupid.

derExperte

hey, stop hyping Dropsy! I'm not buying any more games, have mercy

I see your game count slowly increasing when you think no one is looking. You can fool SteamGAF and yourself but not me.

Just embrace Dropsy's warm damp hugs.

I just gave the developer the benefit of the doubt and went the entire way through the demo, and oof, not only did it not improve my initial impression of "eh, it's an interesting concept that could be interesting to pick up on a bundle or something", but I ended up disliking it so much that I de-wishlisted it.

Heh, me too, trying half a dozen times to hit a platform jumping out of the water sealed the deal, level design and controls are just not up to snuff. And I'll get to Ronin, what I buy I (plan to) play (some day).

zkylon

zkylewd
I mean if a politician says "look how 1984 they are" he implies "look how 1984 we aren't" but really they aren't so different.

Brave New World is a more sci-fi-ey dystopian novel.

The Civ V expansion was named deliberately.
i c

tbh the only thing i really liked about 1984 was how well it portrayed phobias because i could very much relate to the horror of knowing it can make you do horrible stuff like turn on your so or whatever

glad to hear it, i feel like corvo could've used a little bit of personality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom