• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

gameplay is shit in mgsv too the more you play it the more you can figure out how to completely break the game and the only thing preventing you from doing so is yourself.

horrible design.

Beeing able to break a game is a good thing.
I enjoy it at least.

Knurek

gameplay is shit in mgsv too the more you play it the more you can figure out how to completely break the game and the only thing preventing you from doing so is yourself.

horrible design.

Well, it's obvious it's not something in the league of Dragon the Game

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Ethan Carter Redux is prettier
5F9A2BAAB0C79C803E216FE04B1156A3150DE455

Grief.exe

horrible design.

Has the deepest gameplay of any stealth game I have experienced. You have so many options to approach any situation.

I'm also not intensionally breaking the game.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Why bother.
It'll be some "my first console and wow games are awesome" game like FF7 anyway.
Although it may not make the overall GotG list, there's a list for each platform/genre specifically, so something like System Shock 2 might actually do well in a FPS list when its only real competition is Goldeneye 007 (though Planescape: Torment is pretty much doomed since it's against most of Squaresoft's more famous RPGs).

Unfortunately, I was too young/dependent on my parents that gen to expand my gaming too far, and I haven't dug into my backlog of good older PC games, so my list ended up like you were saying, but I'm sure some of the older members of steamGAF might like to reflect on their gaming experience back then.

I don't think Volgarr is the kind of platformer you want unless you want something challenging :p
Alt. there's Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet and Adv of Pip.

Volgarr's probably not going to scratch your Mario itch, it's a totally different type of platformer (it's really great, just a more methodical type of hack-and-slash game with a lot of learning by dying. A whole lot of dying.). Something like one of the Rayman games, Shovel Knight, or Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams would fit the Mario style of platformer better.

edit: Or yeah, what Tizoc said :)

Oh, I already know. I was just wondering on the lenght. Freedom Planet levels are pretty damn long, at least the first time, so it gets kind of draining in long runs.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Hatred going on sale on 9/11...

That's some edgyness overload if i ever saw one.

Some indie dev using Kojimas name and MGS assets (probably without getting permission) to reveal a game riding on the P.T wave coming out in 3 years, LOL.

The devs will get some serious flame from P.T and MGS conspiracy theorists haha.

Maniac

Banned
Has the deepest gameplay of any stealth game I have experienced. You have so many options to approach any situation.

The actual stealth isn't as good as Chaos Theory, and I'm not really sure we can call it a stealth game. The scoring system punishes stealth, instead of rewarding it.

Fuck the scoring system in it's ass though, it's a terrible, archaic design decision, and ever-so arcadey and japanese as hell.

And I have to agree with Ozie to an extent; the game is... Incredibly easy to break.

Jawmuncher

The actual stealth isn't as good as Chaos Theory, and I'm not really sure we can call it a stealth game. The scoring system punishes stealth, instead of rewarding it.

Fuck the scoring system in it's ass though, it's a terrible, archaic design decision, and ever-so arcadey and japanese as hell.

And I have to agree with Ozie to an extent; the game is... Incredibly easy to break.

I agree, the scoring system is one of my biggest dislikes. It just encourages more cheesing than anything else. Rank really should have been nothing more than emblems.

Mr. Doop

horrible design.

By this logic, Super Metroid is one of the worst games of all time.

Maniac

Banned
I agree, the scoring system is one of my biggest dislikes. It just encourages more cheesing than anything else. Rank really should have been nothing more than emblems.

It's really, really easy to get S+ rank by running into a place with a sodding minigun-esque LMG plus a rocket launcher.

In a stealth game.

Whereas stealthing and getting all the objectives cleared gives you a B at best

It's a tad sad init

Jawmuncher

I wonder if the 18+ version will cost more?
It doesn't there is also already a patch for the steam version. I did "research"

It's really, really easy to get S+ rank by running into a place with a sodding minigun-esque LMG plus a rocket launcher.

In a stealth game.

It's a tad sad init

Yeah it's rather sad. It really is just speed over anything else. Which I can understand in a sense. The best sneaking can be done quickly, but to me it shouldn't work that way. This is why I vastly prefer the sideops with no ranks. Really lets you tackle them however you want with no worries.

Grief.exe

Seems like arbitrary complaints that can be ignored. I know I ignore the scoring system and don't intentionally break the game.
The scoring system isn't intrinsically connected to the act of playing the game, very simple to ignore.

I'm playing the game very similarly to Chaos Theory, except their seems to be more moment to moment options to handle situations than Chaos Theory. In fact, many of the scenarios even remind me of Chaos Theory, like then first mission in Africa for example.

In a stealth game.

It's a tad sad init

Easy fix from my point of view.

Don't do itit

Chariot

Sex sells. :p

Same reason why MangaGamer sells so much nukige.
But the games don't even have sex. Only shit pilled into skimpy clothing. People who rub to this sewage water would fab to a dead mouse they put in the microwave.

I do want to say this, as shit as the writing can be. At least the art is good. Better than the typical stuff you see at this price tier.
What? The writing is utter garbage. Thirteen year old me wrote better erotic fanfiction than that. Even with my limited english skills I could shit out a better written Visual Novel than any of the Sakura games.

To make you and I, mainly you, suffer.
I instantly believe you, brother.

Khronico

Guys, you should probably vote here if you want any representation for PC classics like Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Half-Life, etc., in Games of Generation 5:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1096107

Voting ends in 5 hours, 25 minutes.

I'd vote but I'm terrible at articulating my opinions on games.

Also there's so many amazing games released within that timeframe that it's impossible to narrow it down to 10.

Jawmuncher

Seems like arbitrary complaints that can be ignored. I know I ignore the scoring system and don't intentionally break the game.

I'm playing the game very similarly to Chaos Theory, except their seems to be more moment to moment options to handle situations than Chaos Theory. In fact, many of the scenarios even remind me of Chaos Theory, like then first mission in Africa for example.

Arbitrary in a sense. It's just weird the stuff you can get away with and get an S rank.
While I said it bothered me I do agree with you though, I just played how I wanted to.

But the games don't even have sex. Only shit pilled into skimpy clothing. People who rub to this sewage water would fab to a dead mouse they put in the microwave.

What? The writing is utter garbage. Thirteen year old me wrote better erotic fanfiction than that. Even with my limited english skills I could shit out a better written Visual Novel than any of the Sakura games.

You misread my post, also this newest game does have H in it.
Guess they realized what their market wants.

Ozium

I'm also not intensionally breaking the game.

and yet if you want to S rank a mission you need to run to the mission objective and do whatever you need to do (extract something most likely)

takes 3 minutes tops...

what do you get for actually playing stealthily and doing side objectives? nothing but the experience of crawling around... the game doesn't reward you for playing stealthily, except for your own satisfaction.. which is fine, because it's a sandbox, but the game has rankings that it encourages you to reach and the ranking system is complete rubbish

you can stealth an entire mission, not being seen once and killing no one.. you will get at best an A

run through, let yourself be seen and don't give a fuck about playing stealthy? S RANK!

that tactical action and deep gameplay

also there are no bosses and bosses = gameplay to me

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I'm working on it but making a top 10 for 1999 alone would be hard.
Try 1998 - that's when a shit load of franchises got established. edit: wait, now that I'm looking at it, yeah 1999 is beastly for PC gaming, jeez.

I'd vote but I'm terrible at articulating my opinions on games.
You only need to comment on at least 1 game for your vote to count. There are plenty of votes that are like "1. Game X - This game is amazing, GOAT, 12/10 no sharp knees found, etc."

Ozium

By this logic, Super Metroid is one of the worst games of all time.

except breaking the game in Super Metroid takes skill

breaking the game in MGSV requires the skill of holding down the analog stick and running towards the direction of your objective

Uzzy

So the solution to Ozium's problem is to get a print out of the letter 'S' and stick it on his monitor. That way he'll always feel rewarded for his efforts.

Turfster

Although it may not make the overall GotG list, there's a list for each platform/genre specifically, so something like System Shock 2 might actually do well in a FPS list when its only real competition is Goldeneye 007 (though Planescape: Torment is pretty much doomed since it's against most of Squaresoft's more famous RPGs).

Unfortunately, I was too young/dependent on my parents that gen to expand my gaming too far, and I haven't dug into my backlog of good older PC games, so my list ended up like you were saying, but I'm sure some of the older members of steamGAF might like to reflect on their gaming experience back then.

I hear you, but I just can't bother with these "top whatever" lists.
I have multiple "top" games per year over every category of gaming possibly, and trying to order them would be futile, because how do you order adventure games against RPGs against space sims against racing games?

Also, I can reflect on my experience back then in my own mind ;)

and yet if you want to S rank a mission you need to run to the mission objective and do whatever you need to do (extract something most likely)

takes 3 minutes tops...

what do you get for actually playing stealthily and doing side objectives? nothing but the experience of crawling around... the game doesn't reward you for playing stealthily, except for your own satisfaction.. which is fine, because it's a sandbox, but the game has rankings that it encourages you to reach and the ranking system is complete rubbish

you can stealth an entire mission, not being seen once and killing no one.. you will get at best an A

run through, let yourself be seen and don't give a fuck about playing stealthy? S RANK!

that tactical action and deep gameplay

also there are no bosses and bosses = gameplay to me

Yeah, I agree. In the beginning I spent most of my time scouting the map/locations of the places and stealthily complete the objectives which resulted in nothing but As and Bs. Then after MMBossStones commented that it's like GZ and time-based, I changed my playstyle and there you go, S-rank aplenty.

I really didn;t enjoy that aspect of Ground Zeroes, and that being the condition for S-ranks in here is really a moodkiller. At least I can take my time with completing the extra mission tasks though.

Ozium

So the solution to Ozium's problem is to get a print out of the letter 'S' and stick it on his monitor. That way he'll always feel rewarded for his efforts.

yeah, brilliant

or they could have not released a piece of shit game

Jawmuncher

My god. The filth is evolving. BEES. We need BEES!

It's just someone trying to make a living. If there's people who enjoy it let them. The games aren't long and maybe some day they'll make something of quality.

Eh, I find it understandable.
When you want to support multiple play styles, I feel the ranking system needs to support both or not be there. True it's easy enough to ignore, but it can still be bothersome. I have had people message me on steam about the rankings and how it's odd to them.

Maniac

Banned
The scoring system isn't intrinsically connected to the act of playing the game, very simple to ignore.

Easy fix from my point of view.

Don't do itit
It sucks that GMP gain is tied to the ranking though. It's just outright dumb, to be honest.

I do agree for the most part though, but it's really just sloppy from a design perspective, which is hella disappointing.

And not be able to afford any developments; yay. :p

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I hear you, but I just can't bother with these "top whatever" lists.
I have multiple "top" games per year over every category of gaming possibly, and trying to order them would be futile, because how do you order adventure games against RPGs against space sims against racing games?

Also, I can reflect on my experience back then in my own mind ;)
I see your point. I pretty much have the ulterior motive of wanting an easily bookmarkable thread to find classics that I should try out at some point, so that's mostly why I'm shilling for it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom