• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh, it nags (like all of them do in free mode), but it's got good protection results.
mse didn't nag

i miss u mse ;_;

I use BitDefender. It's been the number one choice on PC Magazine for the past few years. Also ranks high on sites like AV-Comparitives. Mind you, that's for the paid version. There are some annoyances with the free version.
yea i need a free antivirus

hmmm

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Man, my NVIDIA driver keeps becoming corrupted. I don't know what's causing it. :\ I'm not getting blocks or anything, so I think the card is still good (the screen just blinks and a weird sound comes from the computer). I hope this isn't a hardware issue, I don't want to take my laptop apart. :(

fertygo

Man, my NVIDIA driver keeps becoming corrupted. I don't know what's causing it. :\ I'm not getting blocks or anything, so I think the card is still good (the screen just blinks and a weird sound comes from the computer). I hope this isn't a hardware issue, I don't want to take my laptop apart. :(

check your harddisk health with hdd sentinel, I'm suspicious about the weird sound part.

Corpekata

Banned

Is it crashing and recovering or do you need to restart the computer after?

Turfster

I use BitDefender. It's been the number one choice on PC Magazine for the past few years. Also ranks high on sites like AV-Comparitives. Mind you, that's for the paid version. There are some annoyances with the free version.

Bitdefender free isn't bad, but has no fucking interface at all.
Nothing worth mentioning, anyway.

Panda Free Antivirus is PCMag's top choice for free antivirus this year.

Panda is pretty junky, performance-wise.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think i'll just go back to mse

mse and i had some great times together

i wanted to spread my wings and see the world but now i think i'm ready to go back home

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Last time it glitched out on me was when I was using NVIDIA inspector to check the card.

check your harddisk health with hdd sentinel, I'm suspicious about the weird sound part.
Will do, thanks for the advice. edit: running the free short tests says 100% health. :\

Is it crashing and recovering or do you need to restart the computer after?
It's not recovering unless I reinstall the driver. At first, GeForce just couldn't detect the card at all (detected the driver itself fine for some reason), but on restart it just tries to download the latest driver again. In device manager, the card shows up under display adapters with a "!" sign on it. It doesn't crash at all unless I try to update the driver through device manager instead of doing a clean install.

edit: Now GeForce is just saying it has encountered an error, when I reinstalled the driver again. huh.

Jazz573

Panda is pretty junky, performance-wise.

Looking on AV-Comparatives supposedly it's gotten better. At least the 2015 version. Also, AV-Test gave it a 4.5/6 in performance which really isn't that bad.

AV-Test and AV-Comparatives are probably the best websites to determine the best antivirus.

Jazz573

i dont want the best antivirus i just want one that isn't annoying

What exactly do you not like in Avira? Was it the popups asking you to buy the full version? I remember that when I used to use it, but I think there's a way to disable that.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Guild Wars 2
f32d16580c.gif

VS

Tera
3197e63dcb.gif

I gotta vote Tera on this round.

Turfster

Because people think I only hate on games, I present:
A review of Technobabylon by Technocrat, published by Wadjet Eye games.
Time to completion: 8 hours and change

Technobabylon is a cyberpunk point & click adventure game set in a future where gengineering and neural interfaces have become commonplace. It takes place in the megacity of Newton, and you play as 3 different characters: 2 police officers and an unemployed 'Trancer' who prefers to spend all her time online, set against the backdrop of a horrific stream of mindjacks and murders.

The story is well-written, with multiple solutions to puzzles and branching storylines, and the game has the polish we have come to expect from Wadjet Eye published games, with solid voice acting and nice graphics and animations.

Well worth your time and money.

zkylon

zkylewd
What exactly do you not like in Avira? Was it the popups asking you to buy the full version? I remember that when I used to use it, but I think there's a way to disable that.
it's just super annoying with everything

a few times every week it has like popups of like ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE DYING BECAUSE YOU DONT BUY AVIRA or whatever

and then it's like ok i wanna update myself but i need to reboot, when do you want me to annoy you again? and there's no "never" option

i just really hate that lol

But MSE has a .5/6 in protection on AV-Test. Do you really want to entrust the security of your computer to something that bad in terms of protection?
dunno, i just hate avira

Durante

But MSE has a .5/6 in protection on AV-Test. Do you really want to entrust the security of your computer to something that bad in terms of protection?
I don't use an antivirus program at all, and haven't for the past 2 decades. How does that rate? :p

Durante

This image represents you and an anti-virus user. One is protected while the other is frolicking about. Which one you want to be is entirely up to you.
That's what people always tell me, but I've never once had a virus in those ~20 years (and yes, every few years someone asks "how do you know?", and then I run a full scan in the anti virus software of their choice and it doesn't find anything -- or false positives in applications that do unusual stuff like GeDoSaTo).

You simply need to never, ever run untrusted executable code on your system (and a firewall).
Given what I usually see when I have the misfortune of looking at the private computer of e.g. family and friends when they have an issue that is probably not a strategy which should be suggested to everyone, but it works.

iosefe

i was so thankful for the Win 10 update.

i made a mistake once and my firewall...disappeared?

anyway, the install to Win10 fixed that issue

Soulflarz

Banned
That's what people always tell me, but I've never once had a virus in those ~20 years (and yes, every few years someone asks "how do you know?", and then I run a full scan in the anti virus software of their choice and it doesn't find anything -- or false positives in applications that do unusual stuff like GeDoSaTo).

You simply need to never, ever run untrusted executable code on your system (and a firewall).
Given what I usually see when I have the misfortune of looking at the private computer of e.g. family and friends when they have an issue that is probably not a strategy which should be suggested to everyone, but it works.

I use antivirus and I only set it off when it's programs doing unusual things. I can't say I've needed at all for my past 3 computers.

rtcn63

MGSV and FOBs
If I play offline and don't utilize it, does that mean my security team won't level, and I'll be locked out of certain upgrades? Because that would be utter bullshit. I haven't reached that point in the game yet.

MGSV and FOBs
If I play offline and don't utilize it, does that mean my security team won't level, and I'll be locked out of certain upgrades? Because that would be utter bullshit. I haven't reached that point in the game yet.

You won't be able to build any FOB-related stuff while offline. Your security team, once available, can level up, though it won't really do much offline but unlock a couple research options.

Ludens

Banned
MGSV and FOBs

At this point I don't know. I thought FOB was mandatory, but people here claim you only need to play an offline one. I don't really know how FOB works, lol.

3197e63dcb.gif

This image represents how antivirus-free users see themselves. Completely defenseless, but with a backup strong enough to face whatever comes their way... should they see it coming.

i'm not sure which is to blame: windows10 or the nvidia drivers

i can no longer run sfxt or usf4 at 4k/60fps

it's strange because sfxt runs at +100fps@2880x1800 but once i go any higher the framerate drops to below 20

ultra is similar except i can go up to 3325x1871 and at 4k it drops to 50ish

also csgo crashes to desktop randomly and the way to fix it is to install win7 drivers
http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/541907675759699155/

(≧ロ≦)

Caerith

Because people think I only hate on games, I present:
A review of Technobabylon by Technocrat, published by Wadjet Eye games.
Time to completion: 8 hours and change

Technobabylon is a cyberpunk point & click adventure game set in a future where gengineering and neural interfaces have become commonplace. It takes place in the megacity of Newton, and you play as 3 different characters: 2 police officers and an unemployed 'Trancer' who prefers to spend all her time online, set against the backdrop of a horrific stream of mindjacks and murders.

The story is well-written, with multiple solutions to puzzles and branching storylines, and the game has the polish we have come to expect from Wadjet Eye published games, with solid voice acting and nice graphics and animations.

Well worth your time and money.
A Wadjet Eye game being good? Shocking.

I don't use an antivirus program at all, and haven't for the past 2 decades. How does that rate? :p

Likewise.

chronomac

This is exactly how I operate. I have a good firewall and good sense.

PS: Super Mario Maker is amazing. Probably going to take me away from Steam for a bit, except for Paint it Back (got a key to the full game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom