• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
steam is down here again... why volvo, why? It's Sunday, have mercy

dramatization of Steam's servers

hamster.gif

Maniac

Banned
I don't care about The Witcher 3, MGSV, Batman and I damn well won't care about another First Person Bethesda RPG.

I don't know if that will be my GOTY but I am pretty sure Ill get and have fun with that.

Getting excited for another dull buggy mess is considered snobbery now?

To those with terrible taste and opinions, good taste and good opinions will always seem like snobbery.

Although gaming wise I am a bit of a snob, but that's because I have high expectations for games, because once you've had a taste of excellence, and seen just how great games can really be, you want it again, and again and again. After TW3, I don't want to play more Elder Scrolls. And after Cyberpunk 2077, I'll likely not care about Fallout at all. But that's still up for debate, and hell it might just be Fallout itself that makes me stop caring, we'll see come November.
I'm not excited for Fallout 4, at least not 60 dollars excited, and not "willing to deal with Bethesda's DLC crap pricing" excited.

I'm "I got it for £20 as a GMG price mistake" excited, but not anywhere near double that price-excited, nor am I really... Excited, more interested or some such. Skyrim proved to me that Bethesda has their work cut out for them if I am to ever pay full price for their jank again.

Maniac

Banned
With no evidence whatsoever, I blame DOTA2. Some nutters are probably DDOSing Steam due to the Reborn update.

I'd just like to point out that Steam is one of the most DDOS'd services I've ever used.

As in daily attacks, and every month there's been a huge one from several of the 1337 hax0r groups.

Sometimes they're brushed off, ignored and whatnot, sometimes... They hurt. #The
Phantom
Pain

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dota 2 players were DDOSing Steam's servers to hell in retaliation for the Reborn snafu.

I wouldn't be surprised.

dramatization of Steam's servers

hamster.gif

Too bad it's not a dramatization. It's real life :v

To those with terrible taste and opinions, good taste and good opinions will always seem like snobbery.

Although gaming wise I am a bit of a snob, but that's because I have high expectations for games, because once you've had a taste of excellence, and seen just how great games can really be, you want it again, and again and again. After TW3, I don't want to play more Elder Scrolls. And after Cyberpunk 2077, I'll likely not care about Fallout at all. But that's still up for debate, and hell it might just be Fallout itself that makes me stop caring, we'll see come November.

Cyberpunk probably isn't even next year though.

Arthea

nah, Fallout 4 won't win GOTY, lemme tell you how that will go, where is my crystal ball? Oh here it is. Out of the blue before Christmas suddenly Trails SC will be released and take steamgaf GOTY, tW3 will be close second, third will be Clicker Heroes unsurprisingly and fourth of course will be Higurashi, the last but no least place will be taken by Nep Nep 3, Lightning will return but won't make it to the top 5, nobody will even remember MGS by that time. Pillars of Eternity will get special mention.
MGS totally will win, let's not kid ourselves

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dota 2 players were DDOSing Steam's servers to hell in retaliation for the Reborn snafu.

I always knew that Doters were nuts

Maniac

Banned
fo4 is gonna win goty

100%

I wouldn't be surprised. But it'd be a really sad statement in regards to the general state of the gaming industry as a whole.*

It'd be less devastating if MGSV won it, but that's still pretty far from being the best game of the year, but there are a lot of fanatical, outright scarily-obsessed hardcore fans when it comes to MGS.

*Just kidding. It'd be a lot more indicative of the problems if something like Ass Crud or Call of Doody won. Now that... That would just be outright sad.

Or Battlefield lol. (There was one this year, right?)

Anteater

I was going to make a "welcome junior members!" thread in off topic because I saw quite a lot of Juniors around, then I did a search on google and the 3 of those threads from google results I found were closed.

I guess I shouldn't....

Maniac

Banned
Cyberpunk probably isn't even next year though.

I realise as much. They said they wont talk about it until '17, so it's unlikely to release any time sooner than really, really late '17 at best, and even that is optimistic.

Nonetheless I'm really looking forward to it. It's a great, gorgeous setting with a fuckload of potential, and I'm a sucker for cyberpunk in general.

Chariot

I was going to make a "welcome junior members!" thread in off topic because I saw quite a lot of Juniors around, then I did a search on google and the 3 of those threads from google results I found were closed.

I guess I shouldn't....
We ain't got no love for green ones around here *spits in a pot*

Maniac

Banned
speaking of Welcoming Juniors, my GAF anniversary is tomorrow

I didn't pay any attention to mine at all, cause it was the day my grandma passed away.

Shitty fucking date for an anniversary I tellsya...

And my cat still isn't back.

#FuckLifeInTheBunghole

Maniac

Banned
well this thread just got depressing

Yeah, sorry, I tend to have that effect on people. Depression is contagious, yo.

In another less sad note, here's a question:

Does anyone know if the Steam Controller bundle with Soccar and Portal 2: The Best Comedic Puzzler Ever Made is still a thing?

If so I might just order that shit for my late birthday present from the old'uns.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I guess I shouldn't....

the membership approvals are done on a rolling basis at this point, there aren't normally really "batches" of juniors. if you noticed an unusually high amount, it's probably just random chance.

Maniac

Banned
So how bout Shani? Sad she got regulated to third wheel with the series, glad to see her come back.

Hella glad. She was really awesome in W1. I was a tad disappointed that she wasn't in TW2, hell she wasn't really mentioned either, so the many mentions of her in TW3 plus anecdotes, books regarding her and whatnot made me hella hyped, so I'm really looking forward to the expansion.

And god damn she looks fucking great. Like, her new design is absolutely stunning. Lovin' it.

Maniac

Banned
the membership approvals are done on a rolling basis at this point, there aren't normally really "batches" of juniors. if you noticed an unusually high amount, it's probably just random chance.

Approvals in general seem to have sped up quite a lot. Is that true or just a natural by-product of it being less of a tsunami-thing and more of a steady stream? :p

zkylon

zkylewd
I wouldn't be surprised. But it'd be a really sad statement in regards to the general state of the gaming industry as a whole.*

It'd be less devastating if MGSV won it, but that's still pretty far from being the best game of the year, but there are a lot of fanatical, outright scarily-obsessed hardcore fans when it comes to MGS.

*Just kidding. It'd be a lot more indicative of the problems if something like Ass Crud or Call of Doody won. Now that... That would just be outright sad.

Or Battlefield lol. (There was one this year, right?)
i mean, it's not really sad, ppl love bethesda games and bethesda games actually do a whole lot of things right and some of those things are actually pretty unique compared to other popular rpgs that are a bit more "safe"

like, one thing i respect a whole lot about beth games is how systemic they are, with like allowing u to kill most ppl or using sneak whenever u want, being able to steal and get caught and thrown in jail, etc. etc.

that sandboxy aspect is almost completely missing in other rpgs like the dragon ages past 1 and mass effect and even witcha 3

so u know, fallout 4 might not be a great game in my opinion but i respect some of the things it does and this one seems to be going more in that direction with all the crafting and base building and crap, so it's probably gonan be ok

speaking of Welcoming Juniors, my GAF anniversary is tomorrow

how do u know?

Uzzy

I realise as much. They said they wont talk about it until '17, so it's unlikely to release any time sooner than really, really late '17 at best, and even that is optimistic.

Nonetheless I'm really looking forward to it. It's a great, gorgeous setting with a fuckload of potential, and I'm a sucker for cyberpunk in general.

It's a shame we'll have to wait so long for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Speaking of Cyberpunk, Read Only Memories comes out October 8th.

My join date is my birthday. Also, I seem to have more games in my library than posts, lol.

Humble sale is pretty good. Got more games from it than during the summer sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
shit zkylon's account is several months older than me, so he's my senpai

i think its my second account cos the first one i had had a weird email address and i duno why i had a different username or something

or something

but im never senpai shut up

Halo Spartan games, the PC versions are stripped of the f2p stuff right? Always been curious about those games. I know there's no online coop in the PC version but I'm okay with that

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i didn't like shani all that much in witcha 1 but tbh i didn't like triss that much either

then triss won over my heart in 2 and now i'm like trying to keep geralt's dirty hands away from yennefer cos that guy is like drooling over her ffs

Anteater

I didn't choose yen nor triss in the witcher 3, but the plot seems to suggest geralt going with yennifer

i think its my second account cos the first one i had had a weird email address and i duno why i had a different username or something

or something

but im never senpai shut up

I'm sorry zkylon senpai

Arthea

Welp, my new PC arrived.
IIRC, the next Steam big sale is Halloween, right?

There is a good sale still going on Humble store right now, ends today I think.

edited: steam closest sale is Autumn sale, btw, unless they'll decide not to do it this year.

Maniac

Banned
i mean, it's not really sad, ppl love bethesda games and bethesda games actually do a whole lot of things right and some of those things are actually pretty unique compared to other popular rpgs that are a bit more "safe"

like, one thing i respect a whole lot about beth games is how systemic they are, with like allowing u to kill most ppl or using sneak whenever u want, being able to steal and get caught and thrown in jail, etc. etc.

that sandboxy aspect is almost completely missing in other rpgs like the dragon ages past 1 and mass effect and even witcha 3

so u know, fallout 4 might not be a great game in my opinion but i respect some of the things it does and this one seems to be going more in that direction with all the crafting and base building and crap, so it's probably gonan be ok
Sure. But the system-driven aspect has been lessened in recent Bethesda games compared to when they first started doing it, so it's hard to say if that'll even be an impressive or respectable part of the game.

I'm sure it'll be a fun game though, even if a lot of the individual parts are terrible.

Happy late birthday and WhereTheFuckIsMyKitty day, me!

I hate loving a little animal this much. God damn.

rtcn63

As much as I'm annoyed by certain things (bugs and design choices mostly), I'm enjoying MGSV overall. If they fix the blueprint disappearing etc. I'd wholeheartedly recommend the game to long-time MGS fans. (Though more ones who've played the PSP games and don't necessarily mind the repetitive grind) It's not perfect, it's not even good at times, but for the ~$40 it's going for, yeah why not. At least It hasn't crashed on in me in my 45 hours, and I'm still only on chapter 20 or so.

And it's going to end up one of those games that I'll never want to play again for five to ten years.

Dsyndrome

Moving a fridge today, some calc and circuits, then more gaming ADD since next weekend we have to drive to near Sacramento to pick up a new corgi puppy. The family dachshund will be thrilled I'm sure, and let me know enough that gaming won't be happening next weekend.

Maniac

Banned
Oooohhhh Saaaalsaaaaa

0xkjabC.png

Yeah I was somewhat surprised to not see her in Oxenfurt when I got there.
Hope more characters will come back in the next expansion.

Hells yeah.

I was also really happy to see Thaler make a return in TW3. His new profession is a bit odd though.
It's a shame we'll have to wait so long for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Speaking of Cyberpunk, Read Only Memories comes out October 8th.

GabeNWorthTheWait.gif

I'm sure it will, though. Also no idea wot dis Read Only Memories is, but I'll check it out.

derExperte

Halo Spartan games, the PC versions are stripped of the f2p stuff right? Always been curious about those games. I know there's no online coop in the PC version but I'm okay with that

Correct. And I can recommend Spartan Assault, not all that exciting but some solid twin-stick shooting. Haven't gotten around to Strike yet.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sure. But the system-driven aspect has been lessened in recent Bethesda games compared to when they first started doing it, so it's hard to say if that'll even be an impressive or respectable part of the game.

I'm sure it'll be a fun game though, even if a lot of the individual parts are terrible.

we'll have to see but i think it's a pretty decent thing about them, specially since they're always opened up for modding which adds layers and layers of sandboxy stuff for u to play around

so maybe this one will have like a solid enough core gameplay that it won't be a total bore to play when modders actually balance everything and and add new fun stuff

who knows

i just want dat obs dlc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom