• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Gamingside can be so awful at times.
The Kingdom hearts thread is literally nothing but portbegging for a nextgen version. Nothing wrong with that.

One single guy posts "KH complete collection on Steam, Believe" immediatly people jump had him, want him to get banned, including a mod. Pathetic.

Humble Total War bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Medieval II Collection
  • Viking
  • Shogun Collection
  • Rome Soundtrack
  • Arena Beta key
  • Battles: Kingdom
  • eBooks
  • Warhammer map
TIER 2: BTA
  • Medieval Collection
  • Empire Collection
  • ARENA gold
  • 66% off Attila coupon
TIER 3: 15$
  • ROME II Emperor + DLC
Since Shogun 2 is missing completely, I think it'll be BTA surprise.
Actually a really good bundle for Total War fans.

The Kingdom hearts thread is literally nothing but portbegging for a nextgen version. Nothing wrong with that.

One single guy posts "KH complete collection on Steam, Believe" immediatly people jump had him, want him to get banned, including a mod. Pathetic.

to be fair, some people are stupid about that shit.

someone went into the Gravity Rush thread was was like CANT WAIT FOR PC and it's like cmon son do your homework

Kyougar

Thats Neogaf for you. Console port begging is OK. PC port begging is bannable.

Jazz573

PC "Portbegging". :p

Vlad

Wow, that's god-awful. I was somewhat curious about the game, but calling that a "demo" is just wrong. If I'm being VERY generous, I guess I might call it a tech demo, but at least to me, I didn't really see any "tech" being "demoed".

Even the loading screen for the "demo" explains how this contains no actual gameplay, but is instead a demo for their Prometheus engine or something. The "demo" then just shows you these sweeping shots (in real-time, at least) of one of the planets in the game, with a voiceover explaining all the stuff that's going to eventually be IN the game. Tribes to grow and evolve, plants, animals, weather, and so on. Seasons are briefly demonstrated by having the planet change colors from green to white and back. Eventually, the voice over ends and you're allowed to control the camera and look at the planet.

That's it. There's no gameplay, no nothing. I don't even know what this Prometheus engine is supposed to be, but the voiceover lady seemed awfully proud of the dynamic weather, so maybe let us play with the weather? Create storm clouds? Anything?

But nope, this "demo" is just five minutes of marketing speak (and minus a million points for the line "every star in the sky is a new planet") with some fairly unimpressive visuals, one badly-animated mammoth, and zero gameplay.

Now the second demo in a row that has not only not sold me on the game, but actually driven me to de-wishlist it (Airscape being the first).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The "No port begging" rule might as well not exist, even though I do understand why it is in place to begin with. They don't want to sideline conversation on "what if" and stay more on topic, but how can an under-represented fanbase of any kind get heard if the very idea that they might want to see it on their console of choice is seen instantly as the most wrong thing they could possibly think of?

The fact that it also enables some very militant defensive posters to tear apart anyone they so choose under the guise of "fuck you, no portbegging" does more of a disservice to a topic's general attitude than anything else. We should be working to eradicate the fanboyish desires to fuel console wars with their precious exclusives and nobody can take that from them attitude. It's one of the main reasons I hardly engage anyone outside of the Steam thread anymore. Once I make it known I'm hoping to see something (mostly within reason) come to Steam/PC, it makes me nothing but a target for the wolves. And, quite frankly, I don't have time for childish insults and playground dogpiles.

Jazz573

The "No port begging" rule might as well not exist, even though I do understand why it is in place to begin with. They don't want to sideline conversation on "what if" and stay more on topic, but how can an under-represented fanbase of any kind get heard if the very idea that they might want to see it on their console of choice is seen instantly as the most wrong thing they could possibly think of?

The fact that it also enables some very militant defensive posters to tear apart anyone they so choose under the guise of "fuck you, no portbegging" does more of a disservice to a topic's general attitude than anything else. We should be working to eradicate the fanboyish desires to fuel console wars with their precious exclusives and nobody can take that from them attitude. It's one of the main reasons I hardly engage anyone outside of the Steam thread anymore. Once I make it known I'm hoping to see something (mostly within reason) come to Steam/PC, it makes me nothing but a target for the wolves. And, quite frankly, I don't have time for childish insults and playground dogpiles.
Well said, Cheese.

let me clear up the misconception regarding port begging and Kingdom Hearts

A few weeks ago, there was a leak of a Kingdom Hearts 2.9 for the PS4. This leak basically led everyone to believe that the KH remasters from the ps3 were coming to the ps4.

Now, today, Square Enix announces Kingdom Hearts 2.8, a new remaster of some dusty ass 3DS game and whatever. The bigger news here is that they very clearly left a gap: why make a 2.8 if youre not making a 2.9? It would make sense, too, as a 2.8 would be the final remaster of KH games that hadn't been done yet, then KH 2.9 being a compilation, then 3.0 comes out.

It's not port begging in this case so much as "whats this shit give us the thing we all know is coming already"

as far as those games coming to PC, being that AFAIK the remasters are being built with the same Sony stuff that FFXHD was done with, i don't see that happening. Maybe KH3 comes over, though.

Like CheesecakeRecipe says, the spirit of the rule was to stop everyone clogging up the threads with I HOPE IT COMES TO MY FAVORITE TIGER ELECTRONIC because that adds nothing to the conversation. But pointing it out in a thread is technically backseat modding so they should be tossed out with the rest, too

Hektor

BernadoOne has guts. :X

Yeah, i kinda understand why the rule itself exists. But ist really frustrating so see that rule beeing the enabler of platformwars, rather than the opposite as its supposed to.

tbqh, that really good my blood boiling for a second.

But now im chill again, beeing in that friendly steamgaf community of ours. We're better off staying here anyways, right?

FloatOn

I just came up with a new invention to balance things out. The anti-portbeg™

"keep that kingdom hearts shit off my beloved pc platform"

fin'

gelf

You are allowed to ask for ports in other threads though, its just those where its off topic is frowned upon. I don't think anyone ever got banned for making a "port Dragons Dogma to PC" thread. Some of the "no portbegging" crowd misunderstand this as well and think it applies at all times. Also saying that sort of thing should be left to the mods, no one should be backseat modding.

Kingdom Hearts is some hardcore shit dog, proud mode is tough.

What is the latest update on the Vive limited launch or did I miss that? Need new VR devices so bad ;-;

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
All console port begging is platform wars. There is no reason to want a game on your system of choice other than that's the system you own.

PC port begging is inherently altruistic and for the betterment of everyone, regardless of platform.

We're basically Jesus.

I just came up with a new invention to balance things out. The anti-portbeg™

"keep that kingdom hearts shit off my beloved pc platform"

fin'

Time to deploy my port apathy:

"It matters not whether this immaterial possession is manifested before me as we are all dirt and will one day return to dirt."

FloatOn

I'm kinda worried about VR actually. Not if it will succeed or not but the rather the impact it will make culturally. I'm not sure if we are ready for it.

Remember when Avatar came out and people were losing their minds over 3d? Some people were seriously depressed that they couldn't live on Pandora.

My conern is that people will always want to stay hooked up to VR instead of breathing fresh air.

Or this is just the plot of lawnmower man.

I'm kinda worried about VR actually. Not if will succeed or not but the rather the impact it will make culturally. I'm not sure if we are ready for it.

Remember when Avatar came out and people were losing their minds over 3d? Some people were seriously depressed that they couldn't live on Pandora.

My conern is that people will always want to stay hooked up to VR instead of breathing fresh air.

Or this is just the plot of lawnmower man.
It's just like jerking off brah, eventually you need the real thing.

Jawmuncher

it's no meme, it's an actual spoiler that people somehow think it's OK to post left and right just because how ridiculous it is.

No one would even know it's a spoiler if you didn't mention it.
w6u6q.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You are allowed to ask for ports in other threads though, its just those where its off topic is frowned upon. I don't think anyone ever got banned for making a "port Dragons Dogma to PC" thread. Some of the "no portbegging" crowd misunderstand this as well and think it applies at all times. Also saying that sort of thing should be left to the mods, no one should be backseat modding.

Fair point, though I have seen the port request threads used against fans of the respective console if they even so much as breathe near one of the normal topics for some games. It's that sort of toxic attitude that the current standing has brought about which needs to be fixed more than people really wanting something to come to their system of choice.

I would agree it should be left to mods, but when we have mods openly antagonizing people and admitting to laughing at them, that's when the breaks need to be pumped. That's not exactly moderating anything.

Arthea

Even if KH won't come to steam ever, nothing of essence will be lost, unless you are Jasec

No one would even know it's a spoiler if you didn't mention it.
http://abload.de/img/w6u6q.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I need to bring light of knowledge to ignorant, that's my one and true calling

Hektor

I agree with this line of thinking.

also what is up with this semi-sequel nonsense? 1.5? 2.8? Kingdom Hearts is weird man.

why would I pay full price for a sequel that is only 1/8 of a sequel?

Its a remaster of a handheld sequel, combined with a summary-video of a mobilegame port of a japan exclusive browsergame spinoff combined with a demo demonstrating the gameplay from KH3 while continuing the story from the birth by sleep prequel.

Im not kidding

You don't need KH on PC folks, Disney's got you covered. See today's Frozen release. We are living in a golden age indeed.

Are we supposed to... let it go?

FloatOn

I need to bring light of knowledge to ignorant, that's my one and true calling

your avatar looks like a space anus. boom. you are no longer ignorant.

Its a remaster of a handheld sequel, combined with a summary-video of a mobilegame port of a japan exclusive browsergame spinoff combined with a demo demonstrating the gameplay from KH3 while continuing the story from the birth by sleep prequel.

Im not kidding

what the fuck did I just read

Dsyndrome

Pointing it out still kind of sucks though, ridiculous / "what the hell does it mean" or not. Be like pointing out the antagonist identity for P4 Golden as a spoiler in a random Xbox thread. Most people it probably means nothing, but to some, damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom