• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Welp, I forgot I never actually beat shovel knight. I played it for like an entire day and got to the last stage, then started playing something else.
Got to retrain myself.

derExperte

Is it me or is the Uplay client using the exact same font as Steam now? Not something looking like it but literally the same. A little creepy but certainly an improvement (though I wish Steam itself would use a different color-scheme).

yuraya

Oh shit, Uplay reintegrated the shop.

Only days now until they abandon Steam. They even stole the colors.

They will come running back when they realize they were selling 10x more on steam than their client. That 30% is meaningless in terms of overall profits.

Hopefully Ubisoft won't pull their games from Steam, I still want to get Far Cry 4 and the Prince of Persia games if they ever get a decent sale again.

Haunted

They will come running back when they realize they were selling 10x more on steam than their client. That 30% is meaningless in terms of overall profits.
The more likely course is that they'll lose revelance on PC because everyone's like lol fuck uplay and focus on consoles instead.

yuraya

we said that about EA years ago.

yet here we are

EA has battlefield and sims tho. Those games were popular long before steam even existed. Those are platform sellers. Ubi doesn't have those for uplay. Just look at the steamspy numbers for Ubi games. There is no way Uplay alone will ever see those types of sales. They would be losing 5x as much money despite getting their 30%.

derExperte

Origin is pretty decent nowadays, would've nice if Uplay can manage at least to that level

Origin's browser slows down to a crawl on larger pages and the library doesn't even have a simple view that shows your games as a text list. It'd be a mess if I ever had more than five games installed. I'd say it's now the worst of the three, at least Ubisoft seems to be still working on theirs.

Nzyme32

Can't wait to get some actual impressions from people in this thread. I'm interested especially for older stuff. But it seems like other valve projects, the community will play a big part in how well it goes. Since unless I misread we should be seeing controller profiles and such made by the community for games the devs done go back to add the feature.

I've preordered mine since I am desperate for a good enough solution for couch gaming. So I'll provide some impressions over October. I wouldn't expect things to be too stellar in October since I imagine it will take a while for bindings to accumulate and there may be a fair few updates to both the Steam BPM UI stuff, but also the controller itself since it is so software driven.

I think by November it would be a lot better, and that might be why they are rolling it out in such a way

we said that about EA years ago.

yet here we are

I believed, and continue to believe, that EA keeps Origin going out of some misplaced sense of pride/shame. They can't go back to Steam, because doing so would be kowtowing to Valve and/or admitting that their initiative was a grand failure.

They have done things that I've rarely seen with other DRM platforms. Basically giving new releases away for free (Game Time), bundling most of their marquee franchises into Humble Bundles that go for dirt-cheap, and (for a long time) maintaining a status as a platform that was basically glorified malware.

As much as I can appreciate what they've done in recent months, it's still a dead platform. People aren't going onto Origin to share their friend statuses en masse. There's no real sense of connection or camaraderie between players, and I'm willing to bet their sales are nowhere near what they had on Steam before they left. The only thing they have going for them right now is their customer support division.

dex3108

Origin is pretty decent nowadays, would've nice if Uplay can manage at least to that level

Other than deleting saves from cloud (you can turn off that option in menu) i haven't noticed any issues with UPlay. And i have all UPlay games on UPlay only (except Rayman Legends)

Phawx

Apropos to nothing, I like this .gif

pvvqSD6.gif

speaking of Ubi i always forget that I actually own Far Cry 4, it came included with my graphics card (the options were the crew, Unity, or FC4. FC4 seemed like the less shitter one out of the 3). Its Uplay only and while I do have Uplay installed cause of certain reasons, i always forget that I own that game. One day I'll play it, I enjoyed 3 afterall and it seems to basically be the same game.

pvvqSD6.gif

:'( i remember i did this once or twice as a kid, i felt like an asshole for the whole day when i did it.

Ubisoft doesn't have a single recent game in their catalog that appeals PC gamers like Battlefield, so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

their console ports tend to do a decent amount each, even Unity did about 200k for a game that was busted as hell and not well received. Far Cry 4 did +450k. South park did about 1.2 milli.Valiant Hearts did 350k...

Some business person in Ubisoft is probably wondering why they are giving up 30% on those games when they could take a hit on total sales but make 100% on each copy sold on their platform and start conditioning people to buy their games on their platform instead, like EA has done.

Again, these improvements to Uplay have to be justified to someone. Someone has to approve a budget for them, time has to be allotted, hirings may have to happen to get this stuff done. Research, development, testing. And i simply dont accept that they're putting this much of an effort to upgrade uplay as some sort of good will gesture to those buying their games on steam and all other platforms. this points to them wanting to break out on their own.

Otherwise, they'd leave shit as is and keep collection their steam checks

MUnited83

For you.
their console ports tend to do a decent amount each, even Unity did about 200k for a game that was busted as hell and not well received. Far Cry 4 did +450k. South park did about 1.2 milli.Valiant Hearts did 350k...

Some business person in Ubisoft is probably wondering why they are giving up 30% on those games when they could take a hit on total sales but make 100% on each copy sold on their platform and start conditioning people to buy their games on their platform instead, like EA has done.

Again, these improvements to Uplay have to be justified to someone. Someone has to approve a budget for them, time has to be allotted, hirings may have to happen to get this stuff done. Research, development, testing. And i simply dont accept that they're putting this much of an effort to upgrade uplay as some sort of good will gesture to those buying their games on steam and all other platforms. this points to them wanting to break out on their own.

Otherwise, they'd leave shit as is and keep collection their steam checks

The only thing those numbers prove is how much important steam sales are for them. The ammount of sales they would lose by going uPlay exclusive would never, ever be worth it.
There's a reason every fucking single major AAA release from them is immediately bundled with Nvidia cards. Nobody is actually willing to buy those games on uPlay so they time and time again give it away with graphic cards. If they were so worried about perceived revenue losses surely they wouldn't bundle every one of their AAA releases.

Why does everyone think Ubi is leaving steam? They could still sell on steam and keep requiring uplay after you buy it. Everywhere else, they will just sell uplay codes.

The only thing those numbers prove is how much important steam sales are for them. The ammount of sales they would lose by going uPlay exclusive would never, ever be worth it.
There's a reason every fucking single major AAA release from them is immediately bundled with Nvidia cards. Nobody is actually willing to buy those games on uPlay so they time and time again give it away with graphic cards. If they were so worried about perceived revenue losses surely they wouldn't bundle every one of their AAA releases.

Unless they were getting paid for each copy bundled and each copy bundled served as a trojan horse to get people to use Uplay. It's not like they're giving those copies to Nvidia for free, after all.

You have to look at all possibilities, Berdman.

Another scenario i can see play out is games launching on Uplay and not coming to Steam for a month or so. I don't know how Valve would take to this (i believe they've come out and stated they do not approve such strategies or maybe they even said they do not allow for it) but i can see Ubisoft trying something like that, too.

Like i said before, someone somewhere in Ubi is looking at a graph with two lines on it and at some point the line of how much money they would make selling less games exclusively on their platform starts looking more promising than the line where they continue to take a hit on each copy sold, even if more copies are sold overall

But this is all just speculation based on a series of actions taken by Ubisoft recently. Maybe nothing comes of it.

Eila

Aw man the Total War Bundle only gives out two keys, one for the $1 tier and one for the BTA. I already have some of these games :/ wish I had known before buying it.

Knurek

I think the recent Humble Ubisoft coop is testing the waters in just how much they are losing.
And I hope the results clearly show the higher ups that Steam can't be left behind.

Is the Steam phone number verification thing broken for anyone else?
I already put my number in (and verified it) yet I'm getting the "you need to add a phone number, blablabla" message again.

pvvqSD6.gif

There are quite a few SMM levels where you have to do this to finish the level.
laugh.gif

Who's using Metro for Steam? I have this weird green rectangle on the upper left side on Windows 10. I can't barely make out "You d"

There are quite a few SMM levels where you have to do this to finish the level.
laugh.gif

Who's using Metro for Steam? I have this weird green rectangle on the upper left side on Windows 10. I can't barely make out "You d"

too many trashy lvls in SMM, just difficult for the sake for being difficult, very poorly designed. I've made it a rule when my bro and I play (case we take turns, we each get 3 lives), I refuse to play a level if it has less than a minimum of 1% completion.

Arthea

I think the recent Humble Ubisoft coop is testing the waters in just how much they are losing.
And I hope the results clearly show the higher ups that Steam can't be left behind.

That's not what they are doing, they are trying to get more people to install and use uplay, I'm almost 100% sure that if HB succeeds in this (it probably will), they will leave steam. I would like to know what number of uplay users they consider satisfactory to pull EA/origin on us.

edited: it can't be repeated enough, get that Letter Quest people, it's only game that I completed twice in a release year (not save plus or anything, from a scratch, so to speak, I even will have to put it on my GOTY list, because ... how can I not?

MUnited83

For you.
Unless they were getting paid for each copy bundled and each copy bundled served as a trojan horse to get people to use Uplay. It's not like they're giving those copies to Nvidia for free, after all.

You have to look at all possibilities, Berdman.

Another scenario i can see play out is games launching on Uplay and not coming to Steam for a month or so. I don't know how Valve would take to this (i believe they've come out and stated they do not approve such strategies or maybe they even said they do not allow for it) but i can see Ubisoft trying something like that, too.

Like i said before, someone somewhere in Ubi is looking at a graph with two lines on it and at some point the line of how much money they would make selling less games exclusively on their platform starts looking more promising than the line where they continue to take a hit on each copy sold, even if more copies are sold overall

But this is all just speculation based on a series of actions taken by Ubisoft recently. Maybe nothing comes of it.

The point is that each copy bundled will make them lose way, way more than the 30% Steam does.
And certainly, they have data themselves that surely show that the mithological creature that actually buys games off the uPlay store barely exists, and that people are mostly buying either from retail, from digital distribution stores and Nvidia codes. All those cases involve a cut at least as equal or higher than 30%, and you don't see them backing down from those avenues.

That's not what they are doing, they are trying to get more people to install and use uplay, I'm almost 100% sure that if HB succeeds in this (it probably will), they will leave steam. I would like to know what number of uplay users they consider satisfactory to pull EA/origin on us.

Using people that got a crapload of thier library for almost free as a way of validating a actual profitable userbase? Doesn't seem like a sound business decision in the slightest.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is the Steam phone number verification thing broken for anyone else?
I already put my number in (and verified it) yet I'm getting the "you need to add a phone number, blablabla" message again.

It's broken for me in that every time I put in my phone number, it says that it's invalid...

I think I'm probably on a list or something.

Back to the Future (telltale) remaster confirmed. With original Biff actor, Tom Wilson

i would totally pay a small bit of coin to have the PC version updated with Tom Wilson in it.

The point is that each copy bundled will make them lose way, way more than the 30% Steam does.
And certainly, they have data themselves that surely show that the mithological creature that actually buys games off the uPlay store barely exists, and that people are mostly buying either from retail, from digital distribution stores and Nvidia codes. All those cases involve a cut at least as equal or higher than 30%, and you don't see them backing down from those avenues.

EA had zero sales on Origin until it launched Origin so they would be starting in a better position than EA did. Again, it's not a how much will be lost thing but a how much there is to eventually gain thing.

Perhaps they would come back to Steam with their tails between their legs but maybe not. They wont know till they try

Back to the Future (telltale) remaster confirmed. With original Biff actor, Tom Wilson

i would totally pay a small bit of coin to have the PC version updated with Tom Wilson in it.

EA had zero sales on Origin until it launched Origin so they would be starting in a better position than EA did.

I wonder if I'll have to rebuy BTTF or if owners of the previous game on telltale will get and update?

EA had the EA downloader for years before it was rebranded as Origin.

Arthea

almost forgot, and origin is not fine, being barely tolerable is far from being fine, even steam isn't fine, until they stop having weeks full of Tuesdays.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's broken for me in that every time I put in my phone number, it says that it's invalid...

I think I'm probably on a list or something.

I got the same error last night.

You don't have that drug dealer steez like me and use a weird forwarding setup like Google Voice, do you?

I wonder if I'll have to rebuy BTTF or if owners of the previous game on telltale will get and update?

EA had the EA downloader for years before it was rebranded as Origin.
ubi had their online downloader with Digital River, too.

One time back in the day there was a huge pricing glitch and i got like half a dozen games for a dollar each. That POP game that came out around the time of the movie, SCConviction, Asscreed2, asscreed1, and i forget the rest. When they transitioned over to Uplay they gave me uplay versions of those games, too.

Uplay has been kind to me even if it is a beast with a thousand mouths with a horrible stench pouring out steadily from each one

MUnited83

For you.

EA had zero sales on Origin until it launched Origin so they would be starting in a better position than EA did. Again, it's not a how much will be lost thing but a how much there is to eventually gain thing.

Perhaps they would come back to Steam with their tails between their legs but maybe not. They wont know till they try
Again, they don't have a must-have franchise on PC like EA does. I don't think they will try anything of the sorts for a long, long time.

always forgot, and origin is not fine, being barely tolerable is far from being fine, even steam isn't fine, until they stop having weeks full of Tuesdays.

Origin is fine for me. Opens quickly, you can make it close after booting a game, doesn't crash. It works, it's fine.
Can't say the same about uPlay, which in more than one occasion locked me out of my own games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom