• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
MGSV: Tactical Extraction Operations

Really, you do two things in this game:

-extract people
-infiltrate bases (to extract someone)

It's fun to play, but hell, Peace Walker compared to this was a champion of variation.
Eh i like it, but then again even with all its faults peace walker is my favorite

Setsuna

I wouldn't know if uPlay works well or not. My interaction with uPlay is seeing it launch for a second after clicking "Play" in Steam and then closing uPlay when I am done playing that game. These are games that I waited upwards of 2 years to buy when Ubisoft finally lowered the Steam price enough (and usually during a Winter Sale) for it to be worth it and after passing up multiple deals to buy the game cheap for a console or on uPlay.
Now you dont have to
news_1442220025_SteamFlow.png

Maniac

Banned
Bad Rats cards are worth more than you might expect.

It's still Bad Rats being shoved in my face. It's very indicative of my life in general right now.

Yes...
I do realise how sad that sounds.
Look at it this way. Things can only go up now
Are you sure about that? Like, really sure?

Next up: Digital Homicides come to my home, kill my remaining cats and then give me a booster pack for their games! Yay! :p

Knurek

Anyone can help me? Google failed to deliver any relevant answers.

I have a Dell U2414H monitor connected to Gigabyte GTX970 with a HDMI cable with Win7 x64 system.
I have no problems with Desktop and windowed games (including borderless fullscreen), but for games that use standard fullscreen the monitor fails to pick up resolution change from time to time. Not always, mind you, just sporadically. I get the audio, game is running fine, just black screen.

Turning the monitor off and on again fixes the issue, but due to crappy 'butons' my Dell has this is a major PITA to do. Does anyone know if there is some option in NVIDIA control panel or anywhere else that would fix this? I looked through every option the monitor's OSD menu has, didn't find anything that could cause this. Is it worth trying to switch to a DisplayPort cable?

Or is that just something one has to learn to live with when it comes to new monitors?

yuraya

MGSV: Tactical Extraction Operations

Really, you do two things in this game:

-extract people
-infiltrate bases (to extract someone)

It's fun to play, but hell, Peace Walker compared to this was a champion of variation.

Every Metal Gear game for the past 28 years has had the same missions. Rescue someone, kill someone and/or recover intel. This time around you actually get to rescue people in a realistic way.

Ludens

Banned
Eh i like it, but then again even with all its faults peace walker is my favorite

Sadly I agree with you. For now TPP it's on the bottom of my personal ladder with Metal Gear Solid 2, but at least that game had a plot.

Every Metal Gear game for the past 28 years has had the same missions. Rescue someone, kill someone and/or recover intel. This time around you actually get to rescue people in a realistic way.

Yes and no. TPP it's VERY repetitive, as PW was too, but at least there was variation here. You still need to farm like a monkey in order to unlock powerfull equipments, but missions were very different.

The other MGS titles has no such a gameplay in which you are forced to do the same thing again and again. They were story focused, much shorter but also not repetitive at all if not for some boss fights. If you, of course, exclude stuff related to achievements like Melkor or Dog Tags, but the core gameplay was not binded to repetition. TPP is all based on repetition, even if you totally skip side ops, main ones are still very repetitive.

Tizoc

Hey, guys.

I have been reading about this game: Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul thats coming in Europe on September 25.

Its also coming out on Steam. However its not on Steam yet.

Does anyone know why?

I see a lot of games with store pages months before they release.

Does that mean anything or some games just appear on release day?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT - Found out it releases in North America on October 6,but my question still stands lol.

Not all games releasing on Steam have their pages up months in advance. Som games have their pages go up on release date even.
Just wait and it'll show up.

I'm fine with 30fps

I still not fine with the bs region pricing, learn something from SE Bamco
thanks

A few traders are offering it for under $45 if you're interested.

Maniac

Banned
That's alright, at least you can sell them for a decent price.

Meanwhile I got a booster pack for Medieval Mercs.
Hell.On.Earth

Speaking of Digital Homicides... You have my sympathies.
Cause Maniac now you got bad rats
Steam knows you could use an expansion pack
So take it to the market 'Cause Maniac now you got bad rats

I'm not sure if I should hate you or love you. I think I might just do both now.
Bad rats is better than no booster pack drops at all.

Are you sure?

Are you really sure about that?
I had a similar reaction. Then, I found that, for some reason, Bad Rats has one of the better card prices as far as cheap games go.

More than anything, it's just what it is that makes it an open-handed slap in the face.

Yup.

Sadly I agree with you. For now TPP it's on the bottom of my personal ladder with Metal Gear Solid 2, but at least that game had a plot.

Yes and no. TPP it's VERY repetitive, as PW was too, but at least there was variation here. You still need to farm like a monkey in order to unlock powerfull equipments, but missions were very different.

The other MGS titles has no such a gameplay in which you are forced to do the same thing again and again. They were story focused, much shorter but also not repetitive at all if not for some boss fights. If you, of course, exclude stuff related to achievements like Melkor or Dog Tags, but the core gameplay was not binded to repetition. TPP is all based on repetition, even if you totally skip side ops, main ones are still very repetitive.
I still havent beaten 2 and 3 actually, ive beaten peace walker, mgs 1, and 4. Ive started them, just never finished them. Ill make sure to complete those, at the very least 3 which everyone raves about. Honestly its the controls that turn me off, theyre shit

Maniac

Banned
I dont know how you can say that a company whose releases regularly hit 500k has no traction with PC gamers. And those figures dont include games that were packed in with Nvidia cards since those are redeemed through Uplay. Even something like south park did over a million on PC.

And even if only half of those sales come over to uplay, I imagine they would be okay with that. They would make quite a bit, given that 56% of their sales are coming from digital and the PC platform is their second best platform for sales right behind the PS4

You really don't want this to happen, huh berdman.

It's gonna happen, berdman
I'd just like to point out that we don't even know what cut Steam takes. I know for a fact that they used to negotiate specific cuts for each of the big publishers back in the day. One would imagine they've stayed on the same cut, which is undoubtedly lower than 30%.

We don't have the clear picture, so speculating is pointless. But I must say, I doubt it'd be worthwhile revenue-wise.

Then again, it's also unlikely it's been worth it from a pure profit standpoint for EA, but that's, again, hard to say.
Isn't fiber supposed to be super fast?
Because I have had a it for a year now and 60/60mbit, and it have been some of worst Internet I have had. :(
I wonder if it could be my cheap ass router.
Is it Waoo! Fiber? If so, I'd really recommend getting a high-end router from either Netgear (like their Nighthawk series), ASUS' newer routers or a reasonably high-end D-Link or Linksys. When I got fiber I had a lot of issues with it, and it turned out my old-ish Netgear router simply wasn't compatible, leading to connectivity issues, bottlenecking and problems with the wireless connection.

Ludens

Banned
I think MGS 2 is my favorite because of how insane that game's plot is. Plus im a sucker for social commentary in my vidya

Eh, I don't like it for that reason. Because after the first half of the game, the plot went insane, like Kojima didn't bother anymore and just want to quit the game. Like for TPP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A level 1 user with only CS:GO tied to his account sent me a friend request while in-game in CS:GO.

Subtle.

Maniac

Banned
A level 1 user with only CS:GO tied to his account sent me a friend request while in-game in CS:GO.

Subtle.

You want subtle?

Aight, I can do subtle; let's go;

Hi can I have som of ur skins plss I'm new to game plss can I have this asimovv?? it looks really pritty :D its not worth much right? :(

Plzzzz?? ur a pritty lady i bet ur nice can i plz??+? :D

Edit: Speaking of CSGO, the new update is looking mighty nice. Lots of visual feedback that's been much-needed for competitive play. Happy to see the Zeus is cheap, happy the M4-S is cheaper, unhappy it was nerfed. RIP.

Those new animations are... Interesting, though. I love the swanky janky ladder climbing one, lol.

Eh, I don't like it for that reason. Because after the first half of the game, the plot went insane, like Kojima didn't bother anymore and just want to quit the game. Like for TPP.

I felt like the plot going insane is it's saving grace. Granted, i hated it as a kid because i just wanted to be Solid Snake. Then i realized its just a simulation of MGS1 where the world is at possible disarray due to information control. Plus Kojima predicted how the internet was going to turn out so thats kinda rad.

Although it is a tragedy that Solid Snake is the protagonist for only two mgs games.

Funny how Kojima's social commentary got worse and worse with each passing game. Now it's none-existing.

Also how goes the Yoga?

I thought the whole language and its relation to imperalism was pretty interesting. But other than that, yeah there really wasnt anything that thought provoking.

Yoga is a no go. Although, im currently in a Stress Management class thats just a thinly veiled pe class so that took me for a loop.

yuraya

But at their core its always been the same. Rescue, kill and retrieve. Only difference is in previous MGS games the entire game was structured around one or two missions. This time around there is hundreds.

You should do the sideops. There is plenty of variety including hunting animals etc. In fact sideops are the only way to unlock things like
bandana
new weapon blueprints
and
weapon customization
. If the game is repetitive than your style of play is repetitive not the missions. Choose different buddy or weapon loadout. The amount of variety and depth is crazy in TPP. The game is built around replaying everything.

I don't mind what people consider to be the repetitive stuff in MGSV because it's always so dynamic. Youre constantly developing new gear and youre enemies are, too. So even returning to the same base you've been to two previous times plays differently the third.

It would bother me more in Peace Walker as the gameplay never really develops all that much. Add to that bullet sponge bosses and an endgame that is nefarious in its overall grind and it just wasn't something i wanted to keep coming back to after i hit the first ending.

Tizoc

Oh crap
How much time is left ont the Kalypso BYB?
I forgot to buy the stuff I wanted yesterday before going to bed ToT

Ludens

Banned
But at their core its always been the same. Rescue, kill and retrieve. Only difference is in previous MGS games the entire game was structured around one or two missions. This time around there is hundreds.

You should do the sideops. There is plenty of variety including hunting animals etc. In fact sideops are the only way to unlock things like
bandana
new weapon blueprints
and
weapon customization
. If the game is repetitive than your style of play is repetitive not the missions. Choose different buddy or weapon loadout. The amount of variety and depth is crazy in TPP. The game is built around replaying everything.

I'm doing side-ops of course, and I always change buddy, even if I pretty much use only D-Dog on side-ops so I can find people to extract easily and D-Horse for main missions so I can proceed fast. The point is, when you throw at me two "Rescue the prisoner", two "Rescue the special soldier", one "Find the legendary bear", it's pretty much the exact same stuff and really there's no an alternative way of beating those. You need to clear them, you do it in the fast and painless way you can.

You are right when you say you need to rescue people or find intel in other MGS game, but usually you do that once per game and it's very different. Like in MGS2 you rescue Emma, and that's it. In MGS1 you try to rescue the Darpa chief, but he's dead and you actually never rescue him. Let's say the main objectives are similar, but you complete them in very different ways. Even torture scene are similar but also partially different in their mechanics (yeah, I consider the ending section of MGS4 a "torture" scene because it plays exactly like torture scenes in other titles). On MGSV, expecially if you do side ops, you do the SAME mission again, and again. In example:
When you rescue Kojima, it's the exact copy of Mission 1. And how many times you go in that same outpost do rescue prisoners or special soldiers? A LOT.

derExperte

Wot I Think: Skyshine’s Bedlam

So you’ll have to view my closing comments through the lens of that confession, but: I dig the way Bedlam looks and I enjoy the Chess-like restrictions of its combat, but I feel like it hasn’t quite got the soul it needs. I don’t feel like I’m visiting a place (or riding through it in a giant, iron-clad deathtank), but rather that I’m looking a collection of art and words created to meet a brief. Bedlam borrows so much from FTL, but doesn’t manage to capture the lonely vulnerability. The character-led chattiness of The Banner Saga is absent too, with the story propelled instead by what I can only describe as flavour text.

I enjoyed Bedlam, without a doubt: it looks great, it motors along and the fights are thoughtful as well as punishing. I don’t necessarily feel like I’m going to go back to it though. While it looks lovelier than FTL, it doesn’t have the drama and tension which keeps me committed to that game of endless space danger. It’s the best alterna-FTL we’ve had so far, but I question whether simply being an alternative is enough. Perhaps I’ll be back to see what fresh secrets and OTT characters I can dig up from the desert once the bugs are fixed, however.

edit: Lots of bugs in that very-close-to-release version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom