• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Using people that got a crapload of thier library for almost free as a way of validating a actual profitable userbase? Doesn't seem like a sound business decision in the slightest.

that's what I said about EA/origin and look how they are crawling back and asking to be allowed to use steam again, oh wait...

MUnited83

For you.
that's what I said about EA/origin and look how they are crawling back and asking to be allowed to use steam again, oh wait...

So? This goes back to the fact that EA has actual recent games that have a large PC appeal. Ubisoft doesn't, and people won't move en masse to uPlay for their console-focused games. That's my point. EA can afford being Origin only because they have damn Battlefield. Ubisoft has jackshit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I got the same error last night.

You don't have that drug dealer steez like me and use a weird forwarding setup like Google Voice, do you?

It could be something like that then. I use Freedompop which I know does some fancy smancy IP based routing.

What anime games do you own?

"You don't get to 3,000 games on Steam without owning a few anime games"

Pachimari

And I'll be on fibre in 3-7 hours. It's a sign.
Isn't fiber supposed to be super fast?
Because I have had a it for a year now and 60/60mbit, and it have been some of worst Internet I have had. :(
I wonder if it could be my cheap ass router.

FACT: im totally down with this and legit excited about it

k5keSpW.png

Agree with this. Super excited about it. Operation Raccoon City and those older PS2 online titles had lots of potential.

Crap, I missed this. I got the OSX version but it would have been nice having the Windows one.

Arthea

Again, they don't have a must-have franchise on PC like EA does. I don't think they will try anything of the sorts for a long, long time.

Origin is fine for me. Opens quickly, you can make it close after booting a game, doesn't crash. It works, it's fine.
Can't say the same about uPlay, which in more than one occasion locked me out of my own games.

they don't? I didn't know Might and Magic ceased to exist. OK, it maybe not as big as it used to be (HoMM in particular) after ubi screwups, but they still have it.

uplay is horrible, origin - barely tolerable, that's what I said, ya.

edited: actually not that long ago someone was insisting that uplay improved a lot, maybe it's true, I haven't used it for some time.

derExperte

So? This goes back to the fact that EA has actual recent games that have a large PC appeal. Ubisoft doesn't, and people won't move en masse to uPlay for their console-focused games. That's my point. EA can afford being Origin only because they have damn Battlefield. Ubisoft has jackshit.

I'm sure EA would love to be able to do a free weekend on Steam for BF:Hardline right about now.

Also Ubi has franchises like Anno and Settlers that are really big in certain countries (well, mostly Germany). Though they're trying their best to kill off Settlers. It wouldn't work but I can see a few managers thinking that it could.

edited: actually not that long ago someone was insisting that uplay improved a lot, maybe it's true, I haven't used it for some time.

The new version needs more features but the layout is alright and it seems to be getting less in the way than before.

Belgarion

It's broken for me in that every time I put in my phone number, it says that it's invalid...

I think I'm probably on a list or something.

Did you try without adding the "+1" ? Because it's already selected.

I did it 3 weeks ago and can't remember, but worked at first try (Argentina)

Did you try without adding the "+1" ? Because it's already selected.

I did it 3 weeks ago and can't remember, but worked at first try (Argentina)

I also did it 3 weeks ago in Argentina, but now I got the message again yesterday, did it again, and today I also got the message.

MUnited83

For you.
they don't? I didn't know Might and Magic ceased to exist. OK, it maybe not as big as it used to be (HoMM in particular) after ubi screwups, but they still have it.

uplay is horrible, origin - barely tolerable, that's what I said, ya.

forgot to add "recent" to that franchise comment. Their last big effort was a bomb.

I dont know how you can say that a company whose releases regularly hit 500k has no traction with PC gamers. And those figures dont include games that were packed in with Nvidia cards since those are redeemed through Uplay. Even something like south park did over a million on PC.

And even if only half of those sales come over to uplay, I imagine they would be okay with that. They would make quite a bit, given that 56% of their sales are coming from digital and the PC platform is their second best platform for sales right behind the PS4

You really don't want this to happen, huh berdman.

It's gonna happen, berdman

rtcn63

MGSV Late-game (same place as before)
It's the two tanks huddled close together at the end. They double team me with rockets and it's an instant kill. Doesn't help that it's evening by that point, I can't see shit even with NVG. I might just wait it out and see if Quiet can take them out on her own, since she usually has at least half her health or more. (And she should be equipped with the Sinful Butterfly) I think my problem is that I rush it.

This is exhilarating though. There are boss fights in the game, just not on the level of the original MGS. I might break out my copy of MGS4 after I'm done.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It could be something like that then. I use Freedompop which I know does some fancy smancy IP based routing.

Yeah, I have a feeling that it's that and might not ever be fixed. It rare, but I've run across a few places that block out VOIP-like phone numbers from using phone validation methods.

It's probably a way to avoid a hack or someone spoofing a number, but it's annoying.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, I have a feeling that it's that and might not ever be fixed. It rare, but I've run across a few places that block out VOIP-like phone numbers from using phone validation methods.

It's probably a way to avoid a hack or someone spoofing a number, but it's annoying.

Oh well, I guess. I mean I already have a 64 character random Steam password that's secured with LastPass which is also connected to my Google Authenticator, in addition to my email also using 2 factor auth. I think I'm already at the point where someone would have to physically steal my phone in order to gain access to my Steam account without my knowledge.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh well, I guess. I mean I already have a 64 character random Steam password that's secured with LastPass which is also connected to my Google Authenticator, in addition to my email also using 2 factor auth. I think I'm already at the point where someone would have to physically steal my phone in order to gain access to my Steam account without my knowledge.

Yeah, I'm in basically the same boat (though I use keepass because I like to pretend I care about open source software instead of the reality of that it's free).

The one annoying thing I've run across in the client is when trying to change my password, a copy and paste usually requires me to delete and manually reenter the last letter of the password.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isn't fiber supposed to be super fast?
Because I have had a it for a year now and 60/60mbit, and it have been some of worst Internet I have had. :(
I wonder if it could be my cheap ass router..

It's not point-to-point a la Google Fibre but instead delivered via a PON network. The presently available speed tiers are thus (in Mbps):

- 12/1
- 25/5
- 50/20
- 100/40
- 250/100
- 500/200
- 1000/400

100/40 is the sweet spot in terms of pricing at the moment, and in fact I'm not aware of any ISP that offers plans beyond 100/100 due to the short-sighted bandwidth pricing system. I'd love to move up to 250/100 one day, but not at significant expense.

Knurek

Some info about the PC ver. of Tales of Zestiria
4K anime, where da hype at GAF?

For locked 30 fps? Forget about any hype. :( Preorder cancelled.

It’s now time to talk about the framerate; all versions of Tales of Zestiria will run at a constant 30 frames per second. Before you run off to the comment section, hear us out! The Tales of battle system has always been an integral part of the gameplay experience, and changing the framerate proved to have profound consequences on things like: animation, balance, difficulty, and overall fighting mechanics tuning. We do this in the best interest for the players’ experience!

Also, this is bullshit. Symphonia and Rebirth both ran at 60fps.

I'll take something over nothing

which is what we had when it came to Tales games up until now.

If it's 30 fps and not broken then im perfectly okay with that

Backlogger

I wouldn't know if uPlay works well or not. My interaction with uPlay is seeing it launch for a second after clicking "Play" in Steam and then closing uPlay when I am done playing that game. These are games that I waited upwards of 2 years to buy when Ubisoft finally lowered the Steam price enough (and usually during a Winter Sale) for it to be worth it and after passing up multiple deals to buy the game cheap for a console or on uPlay.

jshackles

Also, this is bullshit. Symphonia and Rebirth both ran at 60fps.

PR translation: "We can't make it run 60fps on PS4, so we keyed all the animation and logic to 30fps for all platforms so we wouldn't have to do any extra work on the PC port."

Arthea

I naively hoped ToZ is 60 fps game... don't care much for 4K, not with that kind of graphics anyway
oh well, I should have known better by now

Phawx

ezodagrom

PR translation: "We can't make it run 60fps on PS4, so we keyed all the animation and logic to 30fps for all platforms so we wouldn't have to do any extra work on the PC port."
Or they didn't plan for a PC version at all at first, game was originally just for PS3 (and was released in Japan months ago for PS3).

At least they're not trying to hide it, I guess.

Ludens

Banned
MGSV: Tactical Extraction Operations

Really, you do two things in this game:

-extract people
-infiltrate bases (to extract someone)

It's fun to play, but hell, Peace Walker compared to this was a champion of variation.

Dsyndrome

30FPS isn't the be all / end all metric, Type 0's fun and it's only 30FPS. May still pick up if the stretch reward is reached.

Hey, guys.

I have been reading about this game: Saint Seiya Soldiers Soul thats coming in Europe on September 25.

Its also coming out on Steam. However its not on Steam yet.

Does anyone know why?

I see a lot of games with store pages months before they release.

Does that mean anything or some games just appear on release day?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT - Found out it releases in North America on October 6,but my question still stands lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom