• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't see that every happening, maybe a select few multiplayer games could do it as a feature or something but as a system wide setting I don't see it.

I feel that Sony's approach is superior given Valve axed Family Sharing support in Offline Mode. Simultaneous access with PSN drops throwing a spanner into the works, as annoying as that can be, strikes me as fairer than single-user access with the secondary user having a short "grace period" to exit when the library owner runs any game. Ideally, Family Sharing would be an amalgamation of the two: multiple users can access the one library concurrently, save for running the same game at the same time, with the account owner preference system being left intact (e.g. two people could be playing two different games, but the account owner running, say, CS:GO results in Secondary User #2. who's playing CS:GO, being slapped with the aforementioned grace period). But at this point, I've begun to give up hope of Valve going out of its way to improve the system.

I feel that Sony's approach is superior given Valve axed Family Sharing support in Offline Mode. Simultaneous access with PSN drops throwing a spanner into the works, as annoying as that can be, strikes me as fairer than single-user access with the secondary user having a short "grace period" to exit when the library owner runs any game. Ideally, Family Sharing would be an amalgamation of the two: multiple users can access the one library concurrently, save for running the same game at the same time, with the account owner preference system being left intact (e.g. two people could be playing two different games, but the account owner running, say, CS:GO results in Secondary User #2. who's playing CS:GO, being slapped with the aforementioned grace period). But at this point, I've begun to give up hope of Valve going out of its way to improve the system.

Yeah that would make sense with the limited amount of users on each account, but I'm sure Valve is okay with how it is now, and counting on them to go out of their way to implement on one of their features is hard to do these days.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Should be interesting.

gafmmga10uip.jpg

Where is that photo from?

PC gaming is about choice and options and having a locked framerate goes directly against that. I'm sure you would take a locked 30 over a variable 60, but would you take a locked 30 over a locked 60, 120, or 144? Certain games are just ported to PC without taking advantage of the benefits of the platform, it's the exact same thing when a PS4 version of a game has a few less bushes because the Xbox doesn't also.

To some it's not a huge deal, but to others it comes of as lazy and cheap. PC gamers are paying the same $60 but get a inferior version that doesn't take advantage of it's benefits because other platforms can't handle it.

If we're taking about a PC-ass game by a PC-ass game developer, then I understand the sentiment. When we're talking about multiplatform games where consoles were likely the lead SKU for development, my expectations drop a bit. There are certain western publishers you can expect that kind of effort from (I miss THQ), be it in-house or sub-contracted out to a quality port house (like Nixxes), but that's a pretty short list. It gets pretty shit pretty quickly.

I've just got difference expectations for Larian Studios, Firaxis, Blizzard, or Paradox Interactive vs Warner Bros, EA or Ubisoft.

If we're taking about a PC-ass game by a PC-ass game developer, then I understand the sentiment. When we're talking about multiplatform games where consoles were likely the lead SKU for development, my expectations drop a bit. There are certain western publishers you can expect that kind of effort from (I miss THQ), be it in-house or sub-contracted out to a quality port house (like Nixxes), but that's a pretty short list. It gets pretty shit pretty quickly.

I've just got difference expectations for Larian Studios, Firaxis, Blizzard, or Paradox Interactive vs Warner Bros, EA or Ubisoft.

Well sure that would be understandable if they priced the product appropriately, but charging the same $60 for both the PC and console version and delivering a subpar version to one isn't acceptable to a lot of people. Giving a company a pass because they aren't a PC-ass developer doesn't excuse a shitty port, if it's bad, it's bad.

ezodagrom

Well sure that would be understandable if they priced the product appropriately, but charging the same $60 for both the PC and console version and delivering a subpar version to one isn't acceptable to a lot of people. Giving a company a pass because they aren't a PC-ass developer doesn't excuse a shitty port, if it's bad, it's bad.
I think a case like the just revealed Tales of Zestiria can get a pass though, not only the game is $50 instead of matching the PS4 version $60, it has more graphical features than the consoles versions outside of the framerate lock.

Ozium

sup with people before talking about having to sacrifice yoshi

I saw the following comments "lol you need to do that in mario maker so cruel" and "I did that once when I was a kid in SMW, never again"

you have to do it like 2-3 times to reach secret exits in SMW

mario noobs smh, looking at you prinny

edit: also fucking hilarious how ppl in here are shitting on MGSV yet when I talked the truth ppl be like "hurr hurr he's trolling" etc.

i mad

sup with people before talking about having to sacrifice yoshi

I saw the following comments "lol you need to do that in mario maker so cruel" and "I did that once when I was a kid in SMW, never again"

you have to do it like 2-3 times to reach secret exits in SMW

mario noobs smh, looking at you prinny

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ozzy stays dick riding. I got all the levels in the game tyvm. stay over there salty that you ain't playing mario maker.

Lain

Expectations play a big role. I expect 30fps console ports to stay 30fps on PC too when ported over. Few go above expectations and turn 30fps games into 60fps ones because it costs more (time/money) to rewrite a game and most of the time it goes beyond the scope of why that port is being made and the budget given. Plus the few that do can still end up with some side effects, like the Valkyria port, though a part of the fan-base welcomed those with open arms.

I guess most people that want console ports expect the porting developers to rewrite the code to allow for at least 60fps without taking into consideration the feasibility of doing that, especially for older games.
Me, I think 60 is better than 30 and unlocked is better than 60, but as long as the port isn't turning a 30fps game into a 15fps one, I ain't complaining too much.

Blizzard

Banned
I just got a prompt for a Steam update and restarted since it said it would fix the phone bar.

Nope, after 2 restarts, each time I have the green phone bar. Each time, my phone is still listed when I click on it. :|

Can people explain to me why PC gamers kinda flip their shit over 30fps locks? If we're talking about a first person shooter or a third person action game (Devil May Cry for example) I understand that the framerate is important as it can directly impact the responsiveness of the gameplay.

I'm not one of those "24fps feels filmic" nutters you see crop up in discussions about framerate. I understand how framerate can have a direct impact on certain genres gameplay and in general it's just nicer and smoother playing at 60fps versus 30fps. That said, wiht some games and genres I will take a stable 30fps cap over variable 60fps. And if certain games are capped at 30fps, like say a port of a console jrpg, I'm fine with that.

I'm fine with 30fps as well. Of course there's a clear difference with 60fps, but 30fps is just fine. Some games did 30fps briliantly as well, like the Witcher 3.

Anyway, I only own a $150 card so I really just can't complain about the lack of 60fps support when it can barely play newer games at 60fps anymore nowadays.

I think it's worth a mention, mostly because Nihilumbra was amazing, but BeautiFun's next game, Megamagic: Wizards of the Neon Age is up on Greenlight. They're also running a kickstarter.

Oooh, interesting..
My vote is a yes!

Arthea

I probably will wait after all, I mean Black Closet does have 20% discount, but it's still 16€, meaning only 2€ less I would have paid on their site before.
Not saying it's easy, to wait I mean.

Interesting. I wonder who took it down..

I approve your work!

where's the video of the gits game

i wanna see :>

you should be glad you can't, that was... awful

Why we can't have a good GitS game, if anything deserves a good game it's GitS.

zkylon

zkylewd
you should be glad you can't, that was... awful

Why we can't have a good GitS game, if anything deserves a good game it's GitS.
i duno, i wanna see for myself :>

You were posting earlier when we were talking about it though. People quoted me about a million times lol. Too bad though it got taken down.

yea but i was at work and didn't have time for watching it

You no longer have a cute anime girl as your avatar so zky rightfully skipped your post!
naahhh

i actually kind of like that weird aligator robot thing he has going on

I think a case like the just revealed Tales of Zestiria can get a pass though, not only the game is $50 instead of matching the PS4 version $60, it has more graphical features than the consoles versions outside of the framerate lock.

Yeah that's more understandable for sure, I didn't know if that was the game they were originally referring to or not.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh god that music choice is very unfortunate lol

i can appreciate the motoko face looking more like the movie and the fact that she wears pants (tho random cleavage so dumb), but yeah seems like a waste to do a fps out of gits

doesn't look unfun i guess, i enjoy games like blacklight retribution and titanfall so i might get something out of this

it isn't as offensive if you mute the music i think

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I didn't want to get mad again so I didn't.

I'm thinking about what I would want out of my potentially perfect yet fictitious rendition of a great GitS game. And then it hit me: Mass Effect 1.

Ghost in the Shell needs a deeply story driven, third person RPG game with light FPS / cover mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom